Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2018 2:14 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - University of Illinois at Chicago Flames

Crosseye wrote:

Not new to the board. New to posting to the board. But have been reading it forever. I usually don't react, though. So I'm not a troll, if that was insinuation. But when you have someone calling last night's game garbage and predicting a 20-point win, it's a little hard to read. Who says stuff like that if they have any idea what is going on in Division I basketball today? Take a look at the Atlantic 10 scores so far. The league is getting killed. Duquesne is 2-0 against two teams from leagues that certainly aren't traditionally at the bottom of the RPI. And they've done it with a team that's never played together. So, yes, there is a lot of basketball to be played. Come back with the garbage line in a year or so.

You're not the troll Ritter is.

11/13/2018 2:23 pm  #77

DennisC91 wrote:

indygjm wrote:

I listened to Carry on the post-game.  He seems like a really humble person.  Physically, though, he looks like the oldest freshman in the country.  He looks like he played in the NBA for 10 years....  

Are the crazy Bonaventure fans accusing us of playing a ringer yet? ;-)

They're sitting at home depressed over the loss to Niagara.

11/13/2018 2:24 pm  #78

Thank you, Jackdoc!!! Apologies, SID!

11/13/2018 2:36 pm  #79

Crosseye wrote:

Not new to the board. New to posting to the board. But have been reading it forever. I usually don't react, though. So I'm not a troll, if that was insinuation. But when you have someone calling last night's game garbage and predicting a 20-point win, it's a little hard to read. Who says stuff like that if they have any idea what is going on in Division I basketball today? Take a look at the Atlantic 10 scores so far. The league is getting killed. Duquesne is 2-0 against two teams from leagues that certainly aren't traditionally at the bottom of the RPI. And they've done it with a team that's never played together. So, yes, there is a lot of basketball to be played. Come back with the garbage line in a year or so.

You misunderstood me.  He is the troll, not you good sir.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/13/2018 2:46 pm  #80

Thank you to those who explained about my reaction.  Mr. Ritter is entitled to his opinion. I was just giving mine, also. This coach is the key to the success at Duquesne, which I believe is headed to bigger things. It almost happened under Everhart and might of had he not been run out by the egomaniac. Remember those good times? While it wasn't where anyone wanted to end up upon his departure, he truly brought the program out of the dump. A little sidetrack took place with the next guy, but now it's headed to another level. Already, the roster is head and shoulders (literally) above last year's .500 club.

11/13/2018 3:03 pm  #81

Initially UIC’s prime lineup was taller,  quicker & more experienced than our lineup, had played together before…. a good test for Dambrot & the young Dukes.    UIC limitation was they had only 9-10 players and KD figured to wear them down, which was hard to do but eventually paid off when Washington fouled out.  Carry, Williams and Lewis are great assets at taking advantage in these situations. So KD with more resources (albeit most being inexperienced) is testing responses [& personnel] to varied strategies by opponents thus far.  Good that’s happening on the drawing board – although all these games count for something.  Dambrot so far is a good ‘strategician’ with material to work with. 
a fan since '59...

11/13/2018 4:20 pm  #82

A very nice postgame recap and notes from Zac Weiss.  Great tidbits and insights in here.
https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/11/13/inside-the-dukes-keith-dambrot-sincere-carry-encouraging-start-has-team-excited/

11/13/2018 5:42 pm  #83

Simms wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

You misunderstood me. He is the troll, not you good sir.

First, I'm not a troll. I've been watching God-awful Duquesne basketball for four decades. If, as most of you say, this is a 20-win team, then they should have beaten UIC handily. Wanna be happy for the win, fine. But that wasn't a 20-win team playing out there last night. My god, raise your expectations. 

11/13/2018 6:13 pm  #84

rittersdiner wrote:

Simms wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

First, I'm not a troll. I've been watching God-awful Duquesne basketball for four decades. If, as most of you say, this is a 20-win team, then they should have beaten UIC handily. Wanna be happy for the win, fine. But that wasn't a 20-win team playing out there last night. My god, raise your expectations. 

In any given game, there is plenty of randomness, which is why the better team doesn't win every time in any sport. UIC came out with incredibly hot shooting and it was not ALL bad defense. Later, they were treated to a lot of long offensive rebounds for second chances, and so on. 

Going into the game, seeing the Dukes win by one in overtime would have been a reflection of low confidence in the team. In the reality of how it played out, it was a gutsy, tough win and it should be very useful for morale. It wasn't a 20-win team we saw playing, as the Dukes will win more than 20 games.

11/13/2018 6:31 pm  #85

Do you think Duke fans would be happy about a 1-point OT win over a team most never heard of? Have those same expectations. We're paying Dambrot a million a year to raise this program up. don't settle for mediocre.

11/13/2018 6:59 pm  #86

rittersdiner wrote:

Simms wrote:

Crosseye wrote:

This was a great comeback by a young team with two freshmen and a sophomore leading the way. I will always appreciate what a great win this was, because it was. You may not recognize the opponent - perhaps you should watch more basketball - but UIC has already played Notre Dame and has St. Joe's, Bradley, Loyola, DePaul, Colorado and Wright State on the schedule. It's not a shabby program and just last season extended its coach's contract.

We're Duquesne, not Duke, so even though some of us are predicting 20 wins, I don't think any of us were expecting to blow out everyone we played from Day 1. I think we all expect some growing pains. It would be easy to have had a knee-jerk reaction to them falling behind so fast and so far as they did last night, but as a fan I stick around until the end. I was rewarded. 

I think most of us feel that way.

11/13/2018 7:15 pm  #87

Box score says no technical fouls but there was one on UIC. Anyone know who the tech was on?

11/13/2018 7:48 pm  #88

I guess that could have been a flagrant foul which isn't actually a technical?

11/13/2018 7:49 pm  #89

Coach Dambrot discussed it on the post-game radio show.  The call was for a UIC player locking the arm is Lamar Norman, and not letting go!  It’s a new rule this year, based on Kevin Love’s injury last year.

11/13/2018 10:42 pm  #90

This win was better than the first win. Being able to overcome their hot shooting and staying focused until the final whistle is a great sign. Many teams would have become despondent with the shooting of UIC. Especially on our home floor.

11/14/2018 11:55 am  #91

I would have preferred a solid double-digit win like we saw in the opener, rather than a return of the Cardiac Dukes (as entertaining as that finish was). Just the same, UIC is a solid mid-major program. They were third in the Horizon last year and ended up going to the CIT championship game. Their top-5 scorers on this year's team all saw significant minutes on last year's team. Depending on which college basketball site you read, they're generally predicted to finish second or third in the Horizon this year. They may not be world-beaters, but they're not pushovers either. For a team that only has two returning players and is still trying to find its way in terms of chemistry and combinations, this was never going to be an easy game this early in the season.

I'd like to think the Dukes would win this game handily if it were played later in the season. But coming back from a double-digit second half deficit to win speaks volumes of this team's character and potential. We're a lot more used to seeing Duquesne teams blow big second-half leads or just never get over the hump in games like this. But if you're convinced a win like this portends a disastrous season, well you're entitled to your opinion, I guess. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (11/14/2018 11:56 am)

11/15/2018 10:15 pm  #92

UIC at home with their big guy playing beat Bill & Mary 100-95 in OT.

11/15/2018 10:45 pm  #93

This was an impressive win from the point of coaching, once the score was 10 plus and UIC was shooting something like 75%, but  Coach Dambrot  wasn't afraid of mixing and matching these young players for most of the game. I thought, he either had a lot of confidence in a very deep bench, or was subbing in players to get a look at as many as he could, but it seemed that there was a lot of chemistry on the Dukes team no matter who was in there.  This could be a very good team as they grow through this season.  Let's hope for a good effort on Sat.

11/16/2018 7:42 am  #94

Per KenPom, the Dukes had a 2.1% probability of winning when they trailed by 12 with 3:32 left in regulation. Don’t see many comebacks like that in college basketball.

11/16/2018 5:39 pm  #95

Another  factor in the Dukes comeback was Coach D's conversion to zone -- which i think upset game flow that UIC had established.  That coupled with the arousal of DU's offense kind of shook UIC's confidence.  That's the kind of coaching that can win some games that we might otherwise lose...

Board footera