Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2018 9:24 pm  #1

One bid league

I know it is very early, but, from game results this year, it appears that the A10 might become a one bid league. Unless you have a fantastic year and get knocked out of the A 10 tournament, we might get two. Coach said one of the reasons he left Akron was because of this very issue. Any thoughts ?

11/13/2018 9:28 pm  #2

Re: One bid league

Way too early. St. Louis, Davidson, and St. Joe's are all good enough to earn an at large bid. They just need to take care of business ooc.

11/13/2018 9:35 pm  #3

Based on what? The five teams that have losing records right now? As opposed to the nine that don’t?

I wouldn’t sound the alarms. Even in years we thought the conference was going to be pretty down, it ended up with three bids. As opposed to the MAC, which will simply never get more than one barring something amazing happening.

11/13/2018 9:42 pm  #4

I think the top of the league (SJU, SLU, Davidson) will be really solid this year. Bottom of the league... not so much. Hopefully we can make a push towards that top group of three.

11/13/2018 9:50 pm  #5

George Mason has been a disappointment. 0-3 is bad for a team some picked to win the league.

The game Saturday is important for us. If we want to reach our goals, let alone exceed them, we need to win all our buy games.

Last edited by duq81 (11/13/2018 9:55 pm)

11/13/2018 9:53 pm  #6

A bit premature to be so pessimistic.  I'm glad you aren't a coach.

Seasons done boys... pack it in.

Last edited by coffee (11/13/2018 9:54 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/13/2018 10:00 pm  #7

Based on the fact that George Mason has three bad losses ( one of the supposedly top teams ) UMASS loses at home, GW, St Bonnie's, Fordham, Lasalle and Richmond are struggling big time against some bad teams. St Joes has one senior in their top seven. Davidson has no seniors in their top six. St Louis, VCU, Rhode Island, Dayton and Us are very young as well. Anything can happen to young teams and once we get into conference and beat each other up, that will not help. By the way this is a discussion board just some thought provoking ideas. I would say the next two or three years there are going to be some outstanding teams, as long as teams do not get decimated by transfers.

11/13/2018 10:08 pm  #8

Coffee, been a coach for thirty five years. Some people on this board just do not want to be in a real discussion and get bent out of shape when they don't think their way. Relax and enjoy the discussion. No sarcasm needed.

11/13/2018 11:48 pm  #9

Way too early. A10 teams always go on runs in OOC and end up beating some top teams. The Dukes might even be one of those teams.

11/14/2018 8:17 am  #10

I dont think anyone really notices college bball is being played outside of ESPN cause they have wood for Duke already.  I admit, Duke looks pretty darn good tho.  But to say any league will get X number of bids in mid November is a little early for that.  The A10 will get its customary 3 bids.  

I do think Radford is a big game for us, to be 3-0 heading to ND, where a loss wont hurt anything, will actually help our SOS so much its only a good thing, it would be real nice, 3-1 or 4-0.  Radford, from what I can tell from a high level view, looks like a post season team, beating them on a neutral court would be a nice feather in our caps, esp to go along with W&M and UIC, who also appear to have postseason aspirations.  

11/14/2018 11:05 am  #11

no it's been pretty bad for a few teams, but who didn't expect fordham and GW to be dumpster fires? richmond had the same brutal home losses to begin the year last year as well. george mason has been extremely disappointing sure, even SLU and Davidson are undefeated but have questionable wins already.

on the other hand VCU and Dayton have won all their games and they're *not* supposed to contend for the title. St. Joe's is 3-0 and they've looked real good doing it. and then of course, there is us.

don't panic, the sky isn't falling

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/14/2018 12:48 pm  #12

I spend a lot of time on the A10 board and I must admit to being worried.  I would think we are looking at 2 bids unless someone surprises in the conference tournament.  Hopefully the top of the league can take care of business.  Richmond will fire Mooney after this year.  GMU and GW appear to have pretty bad coaches too.  Fordham is a lost cause.  Personally, I wish La Salle and Fordham weren't in the league and we moved to 12 teams, but I would never advocate for that since people wanted us out too not so long ago.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

11/14/2018 4:10 pm  #13

Last year wasn't such a great year for the A10 either. Only three teams hit the 20-win mark and only two other teams in the conference had overall records that were over .500. Injury-depleted St. Joe's ended up in 4th place with just a 10-8 conference record and 16-16 overall mark. Yet a very mediocre A10 still got its top 3 teams (Rhode Island, St. Bonaventure, Davidson) into the NCAA tourney.

Davidson needed to win the conference tourney to get in and did. They were just 5-6 in non-conference play, including double-digit losses to Nevada, Appalachian State, North Carolina and Virginia, plus losses to New Mexico State and Hawaii. Then they went 13-5 in conference play and beat St. Louis, St. Bonaventure and Rhode Island in succession to win the conference tourney, before a 5-point loss to Kentucky in the first round of the NCAAs.

Rhode Island lost to Nevada, Virginia and Alabama in non-conference play and won close games against Charleston and Iona. But they went 15-3 in the A10 to win the regular season championship and earn at at-large NCAA bid where they beat Oklahoma but got crushed by Duke in the tourney.

St. Bonaventure opened last year with a loss to Niagara and nearly lost to Vermont, but also beat Syracuse and Maryland in non-conference play. Then the Bonnies started 2-4 in A10 play and needed to go on a 13-game winning streak, before losing to Davidson in the conference tourney semis, to secure an at-large bid. They beat UCLA in the play-in round before losing to Florida.

So your concerns about the A10 not being a three-bid league this year are well-founded. The conference is coming off a very mediocre, top-heavy year and its best teams last year lost a lot to graduation, and in Rhode Island's case, one of the league's best coaches. But there's still a lot of basketball to be played, a lot to be learned about these teams, before anyone should write it off as a 1-bid league.

St. Louis may not have looked that impressive in beating SE Missouri, Troy and North Alabama, but that's their game: low-scoring games that aren't blowouts. Davidson has the Grady and Gudmundsson show, I wouldn't write them off after a near-hiccup against Dartmouth the other night. VCU's looked pretty solid so far, Dayton seems poised for a rebound after an off year, St. Joe's is healthy again with Brown and Kimble back. And your Duquesne Dukes have their deepest roster in more than a decade.

11/14/2018 7:08 pm  #14

Wildwood13 wrote:

Coffee, been a coach for thirty five years. Some people on this board just do not want to be in a real discussion and get bent out of shape when they don't think their way. Relax and enjoy the discussion. No sarcasm needed.

Wildwood,  No offense intended... just trying to make the clear point that its much too early in the season to give up hope on the conference.  Last year's forecast was pretty pessimistic as well and we were fortunate to get three.

I do enjoy the conversation and it usually is relaxing... some team will disappoint while other teams, hopefully the Dukes will pleasantly surprise.

As a former coach here as well who always worked to keep attitudes up...

...very much respect to your 35 years.

Last edited by coffee (11/14/2018 7:20 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

11/15/2018 3:32 pm  #15

Here is a piece I just finished on the current state of the A-10 as it relates to the postseason. You can put me pretty firmly in Wildwoods' camp. There are definitely some considerable red flags even if their is time to recover from them. 

For those of you who weren’t aware, Face and I recently restarted WeWearTheRing. I’m very proud of The Point of Pittsburgh, but the space didn’t really allow for my Duquesne content and with the excitement Keith Dambrot has brought back. I don’t plan to regularly post links here, only when what I’m writing is relevant to an existing thread as is the case here. That said, we would greatly appreciate it if you bookmarked the page or followed us on social media. My apologies if the second half of this post derails the original topic. If you’d like to talk WWTR, please private message me here. 

11/15/2018 7:34 pm  #16

Next year should be a very different story. Among Duquesne, VCU, St. Joe's, UMass, Davidson, URI, Richmond, and Dayton, there are very few seniors that are key parts of those teams. Not great for this year, but those are likely to all be very strong teams a year from now. So while we may be a two bid league this season, 4-5 bids will be on the table a year from now.

11/15/2018 8:09 pm  #17

We may be getting a preview from the Hawks.
St Joes beat Wake Forest by 20 today on a neutral court @ the Myrtle Beach Invitation.   

Conway SC is a 2-3 hr drive from Winston-Salem but doubt the Deac’s fans traveled in any kind of numbers.

11/15/2018 8:21 pm  #18

Nice article Steve. I agree the A-10 is in a rough spot right now but it appears to be getting better. This could end up being a very good day if Davidson can finish off Wichita St. after what St. Joes did earlier.

11/15/2018 9:25 pm  #19

duq81 wrote:

Next year should be a very different story. Among Duquesne, VCU, St. Joe's, UMass, Davidson, URI, Richmond, and Dayton, there are very few seniors that are key parts of those teams. Not great for this year, but those are likely to all be very strong teams a year from now. So while we may be a two bid league this season, 4-5 bids will be on the table a year from now.

that's assuming, hopefully, that transfers do not decimate rosters

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

11/15/2018 9:26 pm  #20

DuqLaw wrote:

Nice article Steve. I agree the A-10 is in a rough spot right now but it appears to be getting better. This could end up being a very good day if Davidson can finish off Wichita St. after what St. Joes did earlier.

they pulled it off so that's a good win for Davidson and the A10. ugly win though, i cant believe a game between Wichita and Davidson set basketball back like that but good on DC to eke that out. Jon Axel Gudmansson can really play

4/14/2019 4:02 pm  #21

In a down year...  2 bids.  I expect more next year.

Board footera