Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/27/2018 4:58 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - UMass Lowell River Hawks

I think posters should be able to criticize players performances on this board. The point of a forum is to discuss the topic. If the topic is Duquesne basketball then the players should be discussed. Any discussion that prevents criticism is not a full discussion. This isn't a cheerleading section it is a discussion board on a topic we all care about. Criticisms should be given tactfully in my opinion but tact isn't something everyone has at all times. If someone has a bad game it shouldn't be kept some secret, it should be discussed and analyzed. That is part of what makes boards like this fun. College basketball is entertainment.

Last edited by DukesDan (11/27/2018 5:08 pm)

11/27/2018 5:46 pm  #52

DukesDan wrote:

I think posters should be able to criticize players performances on this board. The point of a forum is to discuss the topic. If the topic is Duquesne basketball then the players should be discussed. Any discussion that prevents criticism is not a full discussion. This isn't a cheerleading section it is a discussion board on a topic we all care about. Criticisms should be given tactfully in my opinion but tact isn't something everyone has at all times. If someone has a bad game it shouldn't be kept some secret, it should be discussed and analyzed. That is part of what makes boards like this fun. College basketball is entertainment.

Agree totally with this. Players shouldn't be ripped, but legit criticism should be ok. No reason to shelter them. These players are men, not children. They're young men, but no younger than the men we ask to take up arms and defend the nation. A little legit criticism never hurt anyone.

11/27/2018 6:49 pm  #53

duq81 wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

I'm amazed, I don't think I've seen him miss one one of these mid range corner jump shots yet. He can be a treat at times to watch operate on offense, but I don't think we can expect Hughes to light up and get 15 points often, but his disruption and rim protection underneath on D I think is what really stands out to me.

I liked what I saw from Amari for the 1st time yesterday. Lots of turnovers/fouls unfortunately, but he showed ability on offense and defense to be worth minutes. It's hard to teach that kind of length.

I'd also agree on Wade, hopefully he can learn a bit while riding some pine

Whoa doggy - nothing wrong with Wade.

Wade has yet to impress. He'll still have chances, but Dunn-Martin, and Carry have clearly been better. KD isn't going to run a 12 man rotation in league play, so he'll have to make his mark soon, lest he be relegated to mop up duty.

KD had a 11 man rotation at Akron.  I suspect he will do the same this year developing some kids.   I don`t think KD will allow Wade to dissapear unless he does not see Wade with thr program next year.

11/27/2018 6:59 pm  #54

townsonkid wrote:

Will KD try to use 2 bigs at a time more often, I thought Rotroff + Kelly had a good game when out there together, solid defense, some points, rebounds.  I am guessing, not having seen pitt play a second yet this year, that they have some size.  I like Rotroff + Kelly more than Hughes and Weathers, mostly cause Weathers isnt a big, isnt a guard, frankly IDK what he is, not sure he knows either.  But he turns the ball over like he plays for the Steelers.  Cant hand pitt the ball friday and expect to keep up with them.

Weathers will seldom look good in the box scores. He playes smart and is good defensively. I would bet his +/- is high. While he is not tall, he has long length.

I will go with what KD sees  ;)

11/27/2018 7:44 pm  #55

Dsnyder15 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Whoa doggy - nothing wrong with Wade.

Wade has yet to impress. He'll still have chances, but Dunn-Martin, and Carry have clearly been better. KD isn't going to run a 12 man rotation in league play, so he'll have to make his mark soon, lest he be relegated to mop up duty.

KD had a 11 man rotation at Akron. I suspect he will do the same this year developing some kids. I don`t think KD will allow Wade to dissapear unless he does not see Wade with thr program next year.

Wade will get every chance to show his stuff. Not saying that he will be one of the ones leaving, but KD can't have 15 players on scholarship next year. It will get sorted out, but someone will be leaving. It's just a question of who. It will probably become apparent by the end of the year, just as it did last spring.

11/27/2018 8:16 pm  #56

Dsnyder15 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Will KD try to use 2 bigs at a time more often, I thought Rotroff + Kelly had a good game when out there together, solid defense, some points, rebounds.  I am guessing, not having seen pitt play a second yet this year, that they have some size.  I like Rotroff + Kelly more than Hughes and Weathers, mostly cause Weathers isnt a big, isnt a guard, frankly IDK what he is, not sure he knows either.  But he turns the ball over like he plays for the Steelers.  Cant hand pitt the ball friday and expect to keep up with them.

Weathers will seldom look good in the box scores. He playes smart and is good defensively. I would bet his +/- is high. While he is not tall, he has long length.

I will go with what KD sees ;)

For me, of all the transfers that arrived before last season he was the one I was the most intrigued about. Having not seen any of them play, he stood out to me with some great stats from his FR season at Miami (OH), such as good 2 point shooting, good rebounding rate and great ability to draw fouls and get to the line. The FT shooting most certainly needs to improve so this weapon is fully utilized. On offense, it does seem at times the ball sticks in the half court offense when he gets it in a post up. KD mentioned in post game presser on Sunday that he was sick and told Ray/JD on the radio postgame that he's still trying to find his way in game action after sitting out last year. I'm confident he'll get better as the season goes along. 
I do appreciate his willingness to give of the body and take charges. I can't think of anyone in real recent memory who's taken as many charges as he has in a season let alone only 5 games.

11/27/2018 8:18 pm  #57

levon1975 wrote:

I think Mike Lewis is playing more of a team oriented game than he did in previous years, because the team has more options and more firepower.  That is a good thing, but makes it hard to adjust for a guy like Mike, who had the green light to shoot in prior years, because we simply had so few options for scoring.  I think he will have games this year where we need his scoring, and his long-range capability. 

I wouldn't discount the knee still hampering him to some extent, because he was very explosive to the basket in his freshman  season; but since the knee injury he's played mostly a perimeter game.  I don't know if it is a chronic condition, or something that will heal with time.  I think everyone likes Mike, and would like to see him regain his earlier form.  He still has a beautiful jump shot, that I feel is going to splash the net every time he shoots it!

Great observation, see, no one on this team is going to match up every game well with every team, but Coach was an arsenal of players to mix and match the competition each game.  We should not throw anyone off the boat this early for one or two  games.  I remember Mike Williams as a bench player coming off the bench and crushing Charlotte when their two bigs were just killing us, see everyone is important, maybe not in these early games, were Lewis isn't needed every minute, but come later, down the line, this bunch of Dukes are very talented, but in different ways, and if we are to go deep in post season, every one of these Dukes are needed.  I hope this coach knows how to manage maybe 12 to 14 deep and keep the TEAM EFFORT  in focus, because, if we win with 14 deep, then everyone wins.  Ron had issues with players wanting more time vs winning in the past and Ferry, never attracted this much talent so he focused on just a couple of players, win or loose, but Dambroth is not afraid to play a deep bench. This is seriously,  a very good team, and Lewis is a solid player, let's enjoy it. Just saying.

11/27/2018 9:14 pm  #58

Guys I have to say I am in complete agreement with DD and 81' when it comes to discussing the performance of any player.  As DD said this is a forum for discussing Duq BBall so players are part of the mix.  Absolutely true that comments should be respectful, but's performance can be evaluated as this is a fan message board.  Frankly, I don't think anything said here is something new to the team and/or the coaches.  Eric Williams is one hell of a player, but he shot 1-11 against ND and commenting how that hurt us is not offensive, just a fact.  These kids are all on scholarship and I trust they know what they need to focus on and it isn't us.  99% of the people on this Board are respectful and frankly fairly knowledgeable about BBall.  Hell most of us have followed Duq BBall for decades and I believe most of us can reasonably assess talent and performance.  Factual, open and respectful commentary should be encouraged and respected.  In any sport the cream rises to the top and eventually that is what will happen here and KD will figure out his rotation.  What I like is that for the first time in decades when the Coach looks down the bench he can go 10, 11 deep - and that is what I think KD will do.  This is KD's biggest challenge as he knows he has talent.  We all recognize we are very young, but honestly, when was the last time we had a team this deep and talented, despite our youth?    I am psyched for the present and the future.  GO DUKES!!

11/28/2018 9:59 am  #59

Facts are facts and stats are stats. That's all fine. Of course we are going to discuss performance.

What concerns me are the projections and insinuations (three games into the season) about who is/might be/should be leaving the program. The coaching staff sees fit to offer scholarships to kids they think will benefit the program. Sometimes things don't work out for many reasons. However, I don't think a 19 year-old should be reading from our "experts" three games into a season that they are the odd man out and might be a transfer candidate. Yes it happens, and yes there is a numbers game. Let's leave that to the professionals who are running the program and to the families involved.

Speculation is just that. However, it is speculation about kids and human beings. You don't think LeVeon Bell should be offered a contract? That's great... fire away. A kid doesn't impress early on? Give them and the coaching staff some time. I don't think it puts our fanbase, University, or program in the best light to make pronouncements about who is good enough to wear the uniform.

That's my 1 cent.

11/28/2018 5:10 pm  #60

I stand by what I posted.  I would ask that all of the "experts" on this board reserve  judgments on players at least until they we get into the league games and there is a body of work to evaluate.  Throwing guys under the bus after two home games is ridiculous.  These guys are just learning the game at this level, and we need to be less judgmental regarding these early season performances.  Sometimes I cringe when I read comments on this board directed at individual players.  Try to evaluate your comments before you type!  Maybe consider how you would feel if it was your son being criticized for simply missing a few shots!  You certainly have the right to criticize players, but is this constructive or destructive?  Are there any benefits, or just negativity? 

11/29/2018 6:40 am  #61

rosceaux wrote:

Facts are facts and stats are stats. That's all fine. Of course we are going to discuss performance.

What concerns me are the projections and insinuations (three games into the season) about who is/might be/should be leaving the program. The coaching staff sees fit to offer scholarships to kids they think will benefit the program. Sometimes things don't work out for many reasons. However, I don't think a 19 year-old should be reading from our "experts" three games into a season that they are the odd man out and might be a transfer candidate. Yes it happens, and yes there is a numbers game. Let's leave that to the professionals who are running the program and to the families involved.

Speculation is just that. However, it is speculation about kids and human beings. You don't think LeVeon Bell should be offered a contract? That's great... fire away. A kid doesn't impress early on? Give them and the coaching staff some time. I don't think it puts our fanbase, University, or program in the best light to make pronouncements about who is good enough to wear the uniform.

That's my 1 cent.

No like button available, so I'll just say yep, yep, yep.

I really want to see kids stay 4 years and develop. Fight for the PT. Win as a program.

11/29/2018 8:53 am  #62

ElDuque wrote:

rosceaux wrote:

That's my 1 cent.

No like button available, so I'll just say yep, yep, yep.

I really want to see kids stay 4 years and develop. Fight for the PT. Win as a program.

I agree 100%.  Once a player is in his second year you can start to discuss development issues but before that it is just a waste of intellectual capacity and finger movement while typing.  Freshman have so many issues on and off the court that making any inferences as to their ability really foolish IMO.  Swingle may be the guy KD had the highest hope for in elevating the program but the best development program for him is to keep his butt on the bench.  It says nothing about his ability or athletic ceiling.  Take a deep breath....relax....enjoy the ride.  Part of the joy I have watching KD teams is the development and growth of players and the team.  That growth and development will be on steroids this season and next.   Good times on the way.

For me...it is OK to discuss a players performance as long as it is not personal.  You have to be careful...in discussing a players performance it is OK to suggest that he be kept on the bench until he shows growth and development in practice but to suggest that he does not fit and will transfer or should transfer crosses the line IMO

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (11/29/2018 10:26 pm)

11/29/2018 10:37 am  #63

Good comments, I agree

Board footera