Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/06/2018 2:37 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Marshall Thundering Herd

Interesting comments on the 10-40.  I agree that the weakness was that our best players just weren't on the floor enough, or in critical parts of games. The 10-40 was based on guys going all out for their "shift" on the court, to the point that they were exhausted when the next shift checked in(full court pressure, fast breaking and getting as many shots up as possible).  So, in crunch time, guys could be "double-shifted" to get the best five on the court, but 2 or 3 of those guys were ready for a rest after playing a hard shift with their group. 

12/06/2018 3:44 pm  #52

FAM wrote:

DSnyder,
Effective football teams also pass at times and on defense, they play man to man, zone coverage, blitz at times, and at times don’t. Excellent teams don’t have to change coverages as much as other teams as they can do what they want when they want. We aren’t there. Hey, “it is okay by me” that he only plays man to man...I can say it now. However, there are some excellent teams that will use a zone at times. Why doesn’t Coach use the exact same offensive play every time? Because you have to change it up, catch the other team off guard, and see what works in certain situations. There is of course approximately 5 “general” zone defenses or combinations of such, or maybe more. I respect Coach and am not saying he HAS to play a zone. He knows more than I ever will. My point was technically based on him being old school, that I can’t see him going 5 and 5 which isn’t a complaint. I throw the no zone as an example...but again, using it now and then could be an effective tool. Just sayin’

FAM....I am sorry I used your quote.  It was the last post and discussed the zone.  My post was more directed at the board in general....those who want KD to use the zone.  And my analogy was not so good either.  I did not mean to imply that KD will never use the zone...he will.  But mostly it will be the zone press and an occasional zone to confuse the opposition.  I used the running game because I remembered how Bum Philips would run Earl Campbell all game long and the Dolphins stuffed him for 3 qtrs.  4th qtr Campbell would run over the Dolphins.  Bum was committed to the run even though it was not working throughout the game.  What I was trying to convey is that KD is committed to man-to-man much like Bum was committed to the run.  He will not play zone to hide a guy who is a weak defender.  He will recruit guys who can play man-to-man and defend the rim.  Early in the year teams will often be able to drive on the guards....that will change over time.  Rather than change to a zone...he will play those guys who play hard and those who want to play will play hard.  I am not suggesting that this works for every team or there is not a better way to do things...just that this is the way KD does it.  Hopefully you will come to like the man-to-man and appreciate that it is part of the reason Duq and KD are successful. It is also the reason why he has a deeper rotation than most teams.  He asks them to play hard on both ends and takes them out when they are tired.  

Go Dukes!!!

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/06/2018 3:45 pm)

12/06/2018 3:47 pm  #53

C'mon Ritt, Im not mad you. But i have to think that you don't have any higher expectations than others on this board. That's not an accurate assessment, in my opinion. I can tell you that I have high expectations. I've commented about that before. And I've given reasons why. The current administration is on board. The current coach has a lot going for him (i.e. Lebron for starters). Those are all the reasons I need to have high expectations. But I also know there are limitations with a team as young as this. Granted, some of the guys listed as sophomores and juniors are transfers and sat out a year, but the fact is that the roster lists 13 players who are either freshmen or sophomores. How does anyone expect freshmen, who have never played in college, to compete at a level that we want them to be. They'll get there. This is another learning year.  Sorry you're losing patience. I get it because it's been a long time. I would imagine everyone who is a fan of Duquesne basketball wants it to be right now. But if you can't see that things are turning around already after the Amodio/Ferry disaster, well then you really are out of touch. Sorry man. I'm fair game, too. Have at it.

12/06/2018 5:36 pm  #54

Marshall had a bad night. I am happy with the talent I see from almost all 1st year dukes...however we have a long way to go to become a dominate A10 program. I feel like the days are coming...we need to start putting things together.  

Roll Dukes Roll

12/06/2018 6:52 pm  #55

I really like the progress I’m seeing with the young bigs Rotroff and Kelly.  Rotroff finishing with his left hand last night was impressive, and Kelly showed some smooth post moves and the ability to block shots.  The coaches and both players should be congratulated for their progress to date.  It gives us a glimpse into a bright future with the kind of size and skill we haven’t seen in quite a while. 
Mike Hughes has totally exceeded my expectations on the offensive end.  He maneuvers well in the paint; takes high percentage shots and makes them!  Again, something we haven’t seen in quite a while.  I like the way the front line is developing.  I think we’ll also see Weathers continue to contribute some big plays and rebounds.  His rebounding effort on a particular late second half rebound last night was a huge play in securing the win!
We’ll face some much tougher defenses throughout the season in the A-10; so hopefully we can attack them successfully as our offensive weapons mature.

Last edited by levon1975 (12/06/2018 6:57 pm)

12/06/2018 7:29 pm  #56

levon1975 wrote:

Interesting comments on the 10-40.  I agree that the weakness was that our best players just weren't on the floor enough, or in critical parts of games. The 10-40 was based on guys going all out for their "shift" on the court, to the point that they were exhausted when the next shift checked in(full court pressure, fast breaking and getting as many shots up as possible).  So, in crunch time, guys could be "double-shifted" to get the best five on the court, but 2 or 3 of those guys were ready for a rest after playing a hard shift with their group. 

The 10/40 was indeed based on the reserves going all out. However, when Clark used it at Tulane, the second shift was composed of second line players. They knew they wouldn't be in for long, and were expected to "bust a gut" during their limited minutes. This of course, was expected to show itself most effectively on defense, and on the boards. When you try to equalize the talent on the platoons, what happens is this: against weak teams, it's very effective. Even though your first platoon is compromised by not having all of the best players on it, it's still probably better than what the opposition is putting out there. Now you bring in the second platoon, which is equally as talented as the first. This leaves the other team with a conundrum. They can either leave their starters out there, which will keep the talent gap smaller, but who are tired, or he can go to his very inferior bench, which our second platoon should blow off the floor. Sounds good huh? So what's the problem? The problem is this; when you play better teams, you are now starting the game with a lesser squad on the floor than you would have if you were starting your best guys. While the weak teams couldn't make you pay for this, the good teams most certainly will. What about when the second platoon comes in? The good team is likely to have solid talent to come in off the bench. Their coach will run his usual substitution pattern to minimize fatigue, while always keeping some of his best players on the floor. This will minimize the effect of the shock troops. At the end of the game, what has happened is that you have played your best players too few minutes, and you have minimized their effectiveness by not having all of them on the floor together. When teams play the Warriors, do you think they might rather see Curry, and Durant go to the bench when Green and Thompson come in, and vice-versa, as opposed to having to deal with all four of them at the same time for a big chunk of the game, with each of them playing fewer minutes than they do under a normal setup? I think we all know the answer to that. 10/40 might have been useful, but it was implemented incorrectly.

Dsnyder15, this is probably all going over your head because you weren't here, but this is a discussion about how Ron Everhart ran the team during his second year here. The team was loaded, but many feel that it underachieved due to the way the roster was used. Everhart went back to a standard rotation the next year, which turned out to be his finest coaching job as we reached the A 10 Championship Game, and played in the NIT. This despite having a less talented roster than the year before.

12/07/2018 8:17 am  #57

The discussion about two groups of five are interesting but I said I only wanted to see it for the rest of the OOC schedule.

Board footera