Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/09/2018 10:38 pm  #1

Looking ahead

I know the team can't look ahead, but nothing wrong with us fans doing it. The next two opponents are horrible, each with only one win. We should be 8-2 going into our next big game, which will be against the Nitters at PPG on the 19th. A win here would give us a chance to be 11-2 going into our A10 opener at the league's best team, Davidson. 11-2 would put us into position for an NIT bid. I figure we'd need to go at least 11-7, with a win in Brooklyn to get it done. That would leave us 23-10. Even with the A10 being down, I think that would do it. We snuck in at 21-12 back in 2009. As for the Big Dance, with the weakness of the A10, it'll likely take a 14-4 record to feel safe going into Brooklyn, and we'd still need to win a game or two. Last year, Bona was 25-7 after the A10 tournament, with wins over Cuse, Davidson, and URI, and they were pretty much the last at large bid, so you see how much the deck is stacked against us.

12/10/2018 5:31 am  #2

Re: Looking ahead

Looking ahead is a sure fire recipe for losers - just ask Dambrot, Everhart, Manning, Dudey and Chick D.  I'll enjoy the ride, instead. 

Last edited by Hilltopper (12/10/2018 5:33 am)

12/10/2018 6:43 am  #3

Hilltopper wrote:

Looking ahead is a sure fire recipe for losers - just ask Dambrot, Everhart, Manning, Dudey and Chick D.  I'll enjoy the ride, instead. 

Of course the team can't look ahead, but I doubt that fans looking ahead is going to make the team lose.

12/10/2018 7:17 am  #4

duq81 wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Of course the team can't look ahead, but I doubt that fans looking ahead is going to make the team lose.

Well, the next 2 are against bad teams.  Would be nice to control those games from the opening tip, not like yesterday.  Maybe not rely on Carry to play 35 minutes, he's gonna crash into a wall at some point.  Penn St will be a tough game, added toughness being at PPG, which I am not sure I have seen a good bball game there yet(including NCAA tourn games), and probably in front of a lot of their fans.  But hey, we need the money, right? 

Regardless, 11-2, 10-3 is pretty good, if that happens, considering the losses would be to ACC and maybe a B10 teams.

I think a lot can change/happen before A10 play, who is winning now could be hurting in a month.  We should be in it, hopefully until the end.

12/10/2018 7:30 am  #5

townsonkid wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Hilltopper wrote:

Well, the next 2 are against bad teams.  Would be nice to control those games from the opening tip, not like yesterday.  Maybe not rely on Carry to play 35 minutes, he's gonna crash into a wall at some point.  Penn St will be a tough game, added toughness being at PPG, which I am not sure I have seen a good bball game there yet(including NCAA tourn games), and probably in front of a lot of their fans.  But hey, we need the money, right? 

It ain't about money, it's about teams like Penn St. just are not going to agree to play at Palumbo. It is what it is. If the Dukes don't want to play at PPG, they don't have to, but that will be the end of them getting games in Pittsburgh against P5 teams. There's a hierachy in college ball. The Dukes are on the second tier. Just as we can dictate terms to teams on the third and fourth tiers, teams on the first tier dictate terms to us. Most P5 teams won't come to Pittsburgh at all, so I guess we should be thankful that we still get some games against the regional teams, although WVU hasn't been here for a while.

12/10/2018 11:04 am  #6

WVU last played us in the 2013-14 season, they last played Marshall in the 2015-16 season. As was reported in the run-up to their NCAA tourney matchup last March, Huggins would only continue the Marshall series if they came to Morgantown every year (they were playing the games in Charleston most years). I suspect Duquesne was given similar guidance, especially after the Dukes won the last meeting in Pittsburgh.

12/10/2018 11:37 am  #7

DennisC91 wrote:

WVU last played us in the 2013-14 season, they last played Marshall in the 2015-16 season. As was reported in the run-up to their NCAA tourney matchup last March, Huggins would only continue the Marshall series if they came to Morgantown every year (they were playing the games in Charleston most years). I suspect Duquesne was given similar guidance, especially after the Dukes won the last meeting in Pittsburgh.

Sucks but that's the way it is. I'd never play St. Francis in Lorreto, and once we reestablish dominance over RMU, I'd make them accept 2 for 1.

12/10/2018 12:39 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

I know the team can't look ahead, but nothing wrong with us fans doing it. The next two opponents are horrible, each with only one win. We should be 8-2 going into our next big game, which will be against the Nitters at PPG on the 19th. A win here would give us a chance to be 11-2 going into our A10 opener at the league's best team, Davidson. 11-2 would put us into position for an NIT bid. I figure we'd need to go at least 11-7, with a win in Brooklyn to get it done. That would leave us 23-10. Even with the A10 being down, I think that would do it. We snuck in at 21-12 back in 2009. As for the Big Dance, with the weakness of the A10, it'll likely take a 14-4 record to feel safe going into Brooklyn, and we'd still need to win a game or two. Last year, Bona was 25-7 after the A10 tournament, with wins over Cuse, Davidson, and URI, and they were pretty much the last at large bid, so you see how much the deck is stacked against us.

Agree on all of this. Some posters don’t like hearing there are games “we should expect to win”. I think this is preposterous because if you have better players and better results against stronger opponents, you should expect to win.

That doesn’t mean you don’t have to show up, and it doesn’t mean there’s no way you could lose, as the famous saying goes “that’s why you play the games”. That being said, the Yankees would expect to beat the Orioles last year, the patriots expect to beat a team like the browns of the past, and so on.

We should expect to beat Maine and MD Eastern this week with a combined 2-17 record so far. Penn State will be another “measuring stick” type game and should be very interesting. The games against EKU and NJIT will be no gimmes with their combined 15-6 record so far.

Going 4-1 through these next 5 should be a big boost to a potential NIT bid as you have mentioned. Unless we go crazy in A10 play (win reg season title) and make a deep run or win the A10 tourney, NCAAs would likely be tough this year. That said I think Dambrot will get us their sooner than later.

12/10/2018 1:37 pm  #9

81 never say never! If I’m not mistaken Rutgers played Fordham at Rose Hill on Saturday. That is barely above high school gym status. BTW that was a decent win for the A-10.

12/10/2018 1:42 pm  #10

The Dome wrote:

81 never say never! If I’m not mistaken Rutgers played Fordham at Rose Hill on Saturday. That is barely above high school gym status. BTW that was a decent win for the A-10.

Rutgers likes playing in NYC. Pittsburgh ain't NYC.

12/10/2018 1:47 pm  #11

Rose Hill is a far cry from either MSG or Barclays.

12/10/2018 4:09 pm  #12

The Dome wrote:

Rose Hill is a far cry from either MSG or Barclays.

It is, but it allows Rutgers to have a game in NYC. They do have a NYC player on their roster, and they may be recruiting more. Rutgers fancies themselves a NYC team, so it's important for them to play some games there, especially now, since they are in the far flung B10, as opposed to the old BE. The reason Penn St. is willing to play us in Pittsburgh at all is that they want to maintain some level of presence here for their many alums.

12/10/2018 4:54 pm  #13

duq81 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Sucks but that's the way it is. I'd never play St. Francis in Lorreto, and once we reestablish dominance over RMU, I'd make them accept 2 for 1.

I would never play at RMU.  No reason to give them a home game!

12/10/2018 7:03 pm  #14

I'm going to try to ignore that Maine went to Fordham and won and UMES lost by only 3 to Longwood who was playing with the Walton kid and say we should win both games easily.

12/10/2018 7:13 pm  #15

Maine beat Fordham at home, not at Rose Hill. 

12/10/2018 7:45 pm  #16

DennisC91 wrote:

Thanks, now i'm really confident we win next 2 easily. At least I think I am.

12/10/2018 7:47 pm  #17

WashPaRick wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

Thanks, now i'm really confident we win next 2 easily. At least I think I am.

Who would you take in a matchup of either of these next two vs Marshall or William and Mary? Or is it impossible to have an opinon in any matchup?

12/11/2018 7:26 am  #18

I'd take Marshall and W&M but i wouldn't be confident enough to put money on it.

12/11/2018 10:36 am  #19

WashPaRick wrote:

I'd take Marshall and W&M but i wouldn't be confident enough to put money on it.

That’s where I’m at with expecting to win some matchups. It’s under the assumption the team shows up and plays to their potential but obviously there’s no guarantee that happens. But, if we are going to be taking the next step which it appears we are starting to do, we should expect to beat 1 and 2 win teams as well as teams ranked in the 300s for the most part. I think EKY and NJIT will be tough games, similar to UIC type matchups.

12/11/2018 12:22 pm  #20

Duques102 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

That’s where I’m at with expecting to win some matchups. It’s under the assumption the team shows up and plays to their potential but obviously there’s no guarantee that happens. But, if we are going to be taking the next step which it appears we are starting to do, we should expect to beat 1 and 2 win teams as well as teams ranked in the 300s for the most part. I think EKY and NJIT will be tough games, similar to UIC type matchups.

The "Eyeore" in me keeps waiting for the invevitable (it seems) NJIT-type trip up game. Really thought it was going to happen with Longwood. If they finish the season with 2-3 losses (Pitt, Notre Dame and Penn State) I will very pleased.  If they beat Penn State, I will be very confidant for the A 10 season.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/11/2018 1:53 pm  #21

FWIW, and it's not really worth anything, NJIT received a vote in AP Poll as #25. They're at Fordham tonight

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/11/2018 2:22 pm  #22

yak-rbc wrote:

FWIW, and it's not really worth anything, NJIT received a vote in AP Poll as #25. They're at Fordham tonight

That is worth noting, I would assume that means they are ranked higher than us on something like kenpom or RPI? Also worth noting because I now plan on checking some of the game out on ESPN+

12/11/2018 2:29 pm  #23

yak-rbc wrote:

I was referring to the game a few years ago when they beat us and everyone was like "WTF  Who dey?"

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/11/2018 3:13 pm  #24

Kenpom has NJIT at 212.
They lost to Mass Lowell on the road and Cornell at home,
Interesting they got a vote.

12/11/2018 3:25 pm  #25

Econ69 wrote:

Kenpom has NJIT at 212.
They lost to Mass Lowell on the road and Cornell at home,
Interesting they got a vote.

Agreed.  Some knucklehead looked at their record (9-2) and said they deserve a vote.  Their best wins came at home against Colgate (160) and Brown (176),  Currently, KenPom projects a 6 point victory (74-68) with the Dukes having a 72% probability of a win.

Board footera