Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/17/2018 10:26 am  #1

Rotation

I believe KD said in an interview after Sunday's game, or maybe or SSpence wrote about it, but it appears a shorter bench and rotation is going to start happening.  While I agree that the rotation needs to be shortened, based on KD's player comments, looks to me like we are still talking about playing 11 guys - which may be still too much.  Let's assume that EW is back in the starting line-up, then who will play coming in off the bench?  Well, seems to me that LNorman, FHughes and TDM have all earned playing time and the two bigs that would play appear to be AKelly and Rotroff.  KD has indicated that KTaylor provides "footing" and value and thus will play so that is 11 guys.  The only two who don't seem quite ready for prime time are GBazieu and BWade, and Swingle isn't playing at all, but that still tells me we are going to play 11 guys.  I am interested to hear what you guys think about all this and if 11 guys is too many?   

12/17/2018 11:39 am  #2

Re: Rotation

I have no beef with this. I think it'll vary a *lot* based on who's hot and who the opponent is, but I could easily see 11 players getting at least 5 or 6 minutes

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

12/17/2018 11:57 am  #3

I think 11 is too much in close games, bench players need to be able to get in some sort of flow.  That is hard with so many bench players getting minutes.  

The only major disappointment on the roster this year is Bizeau.  He came in hyped as a 4 star recruit as a 6'11 small forward and has regressed in mop up minutes vs. blowout second units.  I think he is way to slow to guard perimeter and way to weak to guard post.  If you can't play D for KD you might as well leave.  He has gotten good looks from behind the arc and hasn't been close and I just feel like he is going to turn it over every time he has it.  

I agree Wade still needs some time to develop but i think the upside is greater with him, his shot concerns me and he turns it over a little to easily as well.  I think he at least has some defensive potential.

12/17/2018 2:37 pm  #4

Good points guys and Baller I think you are spot on with Bizeau and Wade.  

12/17/2018 4:15 pm  #5

The 40-11 first-half lead yesterday was built with a 10-man rotation. Bizeau and Wade didn't come in until the last minute of the half. Frankly, I thought the Dukes looked pretty darn good with that 10-man rotation. It's going to be 11 when Mike Hughes comes back. I think DSnyder said that Keith typically used an 11-man rotation at Akron. Is that too many? Perhaps. I would love to see more minutes for Frankie Hughes, but not sure where they would come from. But maybe we'll have a fresher team that doesn't fade down the stretch for a change.

I really wouldn't expect to see much of Bizeau and Wade in close games or when the Dukes are trailing from here on out. Still like the upside on Bizeau, but he was always going to be a project. We didn't steal him away from Indiana, Notre Dame and Purdue, we stole him away from Indiana State, IUPUI and Ball State. Similarly, the in-state competition for Wade wasn't Michigan and Michigan State, it was Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan and Detroit Mercy. I have seen flashes from Wade, he's made some nice moves on the drive and dish, some good hustle plays. But when he's on the court, I'm hoping he's not the primary ball-handler and I'm really hoping he doesn't chuck up any 3s as his haven't been close to going in either.

I realize both these kids could benefit from more playing time, but we have 11 other kids on scholarship who all have eligibility for next year and 10 of the 11 have eligibility for the following year as well. They need to play too, and, with the exception of the apparently-redshirted Swingle, their play is helping the team a lot more right now.

12/17/2018 4:43 pm  #6

I like the 10-11 man rotation.
The team seems to have the talent
for such a rotation.
Fatigue, foul problems, injuries and attitude issues
are easier to handle with such a rotation.

12/17/2018 5:07 pm  #7

DennisC91 wrote:

The 40-11 first-half lead yesterday was built with a 10-man rotation. Bizeau and Wade didn't come in until the last minute of the half. Frankly, I thought the Dukes looked pretty darn good with that 10-man rotation. It's going to be 11 when Mike Hughes comes back. I think DSnyder said that Keith typically used an 11-man rotation at Akron. Is that too many? Perhaps. I would love to see more minutes for Frankie Hughes, but not sure where they would come from. But maybe we'll have a fresher team that doesn't fade down the stretch for a change.

I really wouldn't expect to see much of Bizeau and Wade in close games or when the Dukes are trailing from here on out. Still like the upside on Bizeau, but he was always going to be a project. We didn't steal him away from Indiana, Notre Dame and Purdue, we stole him away from Indiana State, IUPUI and Ball State. Similarly, the in-state competition for Wade wasn't Michigan and Michigan State, it was Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan and Detroit Mercy. I have seen flashes from Wade, he's made some nice moves on the drive and dish, some good hustle plays. But when he's on the court, I'm hoping he's not the primary ball-handler and I'm really hoping he doesn't chuck up any 3s as his haven't been close to going in either.

I realize both these kids could benefit from more playing time, but we have 11 other kids on scholarship who all have eligibility for next year and 10 of the 11 have eligibility for the following year as well. They need to play too, and, with the exception of the apparently-redshirted Swingle, their play is helping the team a lot more right now.

Agree with this. Bizeau and Wade will have to earn any playing time by getting it done at practice. I don't want to lose any games because they're on the court instead of more deserving players, in an attempt to develop them. The guys who will be in the rotation have earned it.

12/18/2018 8:49 am  #8

DennisC91 wrote:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/09/11/its-family-bond-between-father-son-coach-brings-bizeau-to-duquesne/

I have heard nothing but great things about Wade from HS and AAU.  I know EMU, CM and DM wanted him bad  There is upside with his defense and he has decent drives to basket.  He could be a good role player in the future.

When it comes to Bizeau, after reading the article above and him changing AAU teams and committing so quickly after, some real questions were raised.

He switched AAU teams because he wasn't playing at all on his Nike team.  When he switched to Under Armor, he played more, but after seeing him IUPUI, Indiana State and BSU backed off big time.  I wondered why when all the other teams backed off, our Dukes continued to pursue, until I read this article and realized there was a personal relationship on the coaching staff.

I have a friend that lives in Bizeau's hometown, who said his HS coaches couldn't stand him, they even told his 6'8 senior brother not to come out for the team this year.  They were bad teammates and uncoachable, parents trying to get coaches fired exc... He finished his HS career winning nothing, less than 500 record and his old HS team is undefeated currently this year.  How do you lose a D1 6'11 player and get better?

Projects have an upside... even if you get weight on Bizeau, how much quicker can you make a player that can't move laterally?  How do you teach toughness to guard inside or post hard?

It just seem to me they took a kid who doesn't fit KD's style of play at all, can't defend any position and soft floating on perimeter at 6'11 taking 3's, because his dad is best friends with an assistant.  If he is a team cancer, I just assume transfer somewhere else, because good things are happening in the program...

12/18/2018 8:56 am  #9

DukeBaller53 wrote:

DennisC91 wrote:

https://pittsburghsportsnow.com/2018/09/11/its-family-bond-between-father-son-coach-brings-bizeau-to-duquesne/

I have heard nothing but great things about Wade from HS and AAU.  I know EMU, CM and DM wanted him bad  There is upside with his defense and he has decent drives to basket.  He could be a good role player in the future.

When it comes to Bizeau, after reading the article above and him changing AAU teams and committing so quickly after, some real questions were raised.

He switched AAU teams because he wasn't playing at all on his Nike team.  When he switched to Under Armor, he played more, but after seeing him IUPUI, Indiana State and BSU backed off big time.  I wondered why when all the other teams backed off, our Dukes continued to pursue, until I read this article and realized there was a personal relationship on the coaching staff.

I have a friend that lives in Bizeau's hometown, who said his HS coaches couldn't stand him, they even told his 6'8 senior brother not to come out for the team this year.  They were bad teammates and uncoachable, parents trying to get coaches fired exc... He finished his HS career winning nothing, less than 500 record and his old HS team is undefeated currently this year.  How do you lose a D1 6'11 player and get better?

Projects have an upside... even if you get weight on Bizeau, how much quicker can you make a player that can't move laterally?  How do you teach toughness to guard inside or post hard?

It just seem to me they took a kid who doesn't fit KD's style of play at all, can't defend any position and soft floating on perimeter at 6'11 taking 3's, because his dad is best friends with an assistant.  If he is a team cancer, I just assume transfer somewhere else, because good things are happening in the program...

In my opinion this is the worst post of the year.  I looked at all of your prior post and it seems you have some kind of agenda against the kid.  Maybe you are the cancer and should transfer to another board.

12/18/2018 9:26 am  #10

Noted CLK, won't post anymore about him specifically.  Just got a little overexcited that I had insider info with my source from his hometown.  I'm a die hard Duke fan that has stuck to reading the post in the past, but signed up to comment when I started receiving this info.  My apologies, just want what is best for the team and I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a player, he has a good skill set for his size for sure.

12/18/2018 11:24 am  #11

DukeBaller53 wrote:

Noted CLK, won't post anymore about him specifically.  Just got a little overexcited that I had insider info with my source from his hometown.  I'm a die hard Duke fan that has stuck to reading the post in the past, but signed up to comment when I started receiving this info.  My apologies, just want what is best for the team and I hope I'm wrong and he turns out to be a player, he has a good skill set for his size for sure.

Thanks. I really think constructive comments on player performance is fine, but in my opinion demeaning hearsay comments about a kids family and character does not belong on this public forum.  It is easy to forget sometimes the players, families and friends read this board,   I believe this freshman class is special,  All true freshman (not prep school).  I would hate to see anybody transfer.  Let's beat Penn State.  Go Dukes!  

12/23/2018 12:44 pm  #12

DennisC91 wrote:

I really wouldn't expect to see much of Bizeau and Wade in close games or when the Dukes are trailing from here on out. Still like the upside on Bizeau, but he was always going to be a project. We didn't steal him away from Indiana, Notre Dame and Purdue, we stole him away from Indiana State, IUPUI and Ball State. Similarly, the in-state competition for Wade wasn't Michigan and Michigan State, it was Eastern Michigan, Central Michigan and Detroit Mercy.

Some things to consider:
  https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/sincere-carry
  https://247sports.com/Player/Sincere-Carry-86430/

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/michael-hughes
  https://247sports.com/Player/Michael-Hughes-60709/high-school-105661/

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/eric-williams-jr

https://www.verbalcommits.com/players/tavian-dunn-martin

I think KD is a great judge of talent and developing kids. It is hard to continue to win by finding diamonds in the rough but it makes it far easier to win when you don't alwasy have to beat schools for a player..  I would not worry about Wade right now.  If he struggles next year then you can worry.

12/24/2018 1:48 pm  #13

Brandon Wade will be fine, and he will have a great career here. Coach trusts his ballhandling skills, so he will continue to get minutes.

12/25/2018 12:22 am  #14

ElDuque wrote:

Brandon Wade will be fine, and he will have a great career here. Coach trusts his ballhandling skills, so he will continue to get minutes.

So you think he will eventually send Carry to the bench? If not, will he be happy backing up Carry for 4 years, and that's assuming he can displace TDM as the primary backup. If they go with a small backcourt, they could maybe play both, but that leaves no room for Norman, Hughes, and especially Maceo Austin. It's not as simple as just saying this one or that one will play. When someone plays, someone else has to sit. I know KD plays a lot of guys, but that doesn't mean players are going to be happy playing 10-12 minutes a game. It's too early to speculate on who will be packing their bags at the end of the year, but it will be at least 2 guys, and possibly more.

12/25/2018 1:33 am  #15

I wouldn't think it's out of the question that someone doesn't wait until the end of the year, either.

12/25/2018 8:16 am  #16

ASaunders_PGH wrote:

I wouldn't think it's out of the question that someone doesn't wait until the end of the year, either.

Hmmmmm.....

12/25/2018 11:27 am  #17

ASaunders_PGH wrote:

Semester is already over.

12/25/2018 11:43 am  #18

Dsnyder15 wrote:

I think KD is a great judge of talent and developing kids. It is hard to continue to win by finding diamonds in the rough but it makes it far easier to win when you don't alwasy have to beat schools for a player..  I would not worry about Wade right now.  If he struggles next year then you can worry. 

KD absolutely is a great judge of talent. To find under-the-radar guys like Williams and Carry in back-to-back years is proof of that. I can't imagine where we'd be as a program without those two kids. I don't even want to think about it. I wasn't writing off Bizeau and Wade, just pointing out that they're freshmen on a deep, young team and there's only so many minutes to go around. While there was much excitement on this board when both signed--Wade was to be our starting point guard, before anyone heard of Sincere Carry anyway; Bizeau, well who can't get excited about a 6-11 kid who can knock down 3s--there probably is a reason why both kids only attracted mid-major interest despite their gaudy high school stats and state all-star selections. And maybe that's the same reason both kids appear to be longer-term projects so far. On a side note, the kids rated over Wade in the state of Michigan, who all went to Big 10 schools, haven't made much of an impact yet either. So even the blue-chip, power-5 recruits still need more time to develop.

I'm really not worried about any of these kids. I'm not as familiar with Keith's record of player development as you, dsnyder, but I have no reason to think otherwise. Like many of you, I heard from a number of friends after the Penn State game. I told them we'd be winning these kinds of games when our freshmen and sophomores are juniors and seniors. I have no clue how it will all shake out, I'm sure some kids will leave in search of more playing time somewhere else, we may lose a grad transfer or two in a couple of years, but I'm reasonably confident the kids that stay will develop into more complete players by their upperclassman years and we're going to be a force to be reckoned with in the A10. Another advent is in the books, but patience is still required. ;-)

Merry Christmas to all!

12/25/2018 7:10 pm  #19

I have been to all but 1 home game. Carry has to be on the court as much as possible. He does it all_--Dreaming of Norm nixon

12/26/2018 7:11 pm  #20

ASaunders_PGH wrote:

For those of you who read tea leaves, do you read anything into the changes in Lamar Norman, Jr. twitter account?  He changed his profile, and it does not reference Duquesne any more.  Also his header says "Paused" and he asks the question..what's next?  I hope he is just redesigning his page, and not a fulfillment of ASaunders New Years prophecy.  

https://twitter.com/lamarnormanjr_

12/26/2018 7:38 pm  #21

I hope not. He has shown some potential brilliance.

12/26/2018 9:16 pm  #22

I heard his father was yapping at Dambrot for more playing time or else.I think Lamar would get a lot more playing time if he started playing better and there is no sort of entitlement program here at Duquesne with
Dambrot.With KD its all about earning time by practicing hard and performing well in games.Its that simple.
 Will Lamar accept the challenge and do all the hard work necessary to earn more minutes?I hope he stays
and earns his playing time but more importantly earns his degree at Duquesne which is  far more important than worrying about not playing enough as a freshman.

12/27/2018 7:46 am  #23

stew wrote:

I heard his father was yapping at Dambrot for more playing time or else.I think Lamar would get a lot more playing time if he started playing better and there is no sort of entitlement program here at Duquesne with
Dambrot.With KD its all about earning time by practicing hard and performing well in games.Its that simple.
 Will Lamar accept the challenge and do all the hard work necessary to earn more minutes?I hope he stays
and earns his playing time but more importantly earns his degree at Duquesne which is  far more important than worrying about not playing enough as a freshman.

No one has grabbed the shooting guard spot by the horns, so it would surprise me to see Norman throwing in the towel this early.

12/27/2018 8:43 am  #24

When you put up 15 and 16, then go the bench, it has to be frustrating, and I believe he is not the only one feeling that way.  This is something we all thought could happen, too many cooks in the kitchen.

I believe the best lineup we could have right now is Carry, Lewis, Williams, Weathers and MHughes, I would love to see what they can do playing 20+ minute together.  But Norman would be the first off the bench for Lewis and/or maybe Williams(Lewis who gets yanked out of games quicker than anything I have ever seen).  But maybe Norman feels he should start, IDK.  Or maybe he sees Maceo coming in next year and is scared of the challenge?  Again, IDK, none of us do.

Last edited by townsonkid (12/27/2018 8:45 am)

12/27/2018 9:06 am  #25

Towson, I agree and disagree with a couple of your points.  First, I guess all of the 2 guards know that Maceo is signed for next year and is a high level recruit.  No matter I think they realized there is talent no matter where you go year in and year out, but roster projection is something all kids do.  Secondly, my belief is that FHughes and LNorman should be your guys playing the 2 guard.  Better length, better D, and as good of shooters (I am going by % here) as Mike Lewis - probably better so far this year - and more upside.  Mike L is a junior and I think you know what you have, but it is not at the level of talent that you have with LNorman and FHughes.  Yes he can have his moments, but why should he get more than his 14 minutes or so a game if he is not hitting his shot and he is not as good of a defender when you have FH and LN?  Again, he is a junior and needs to be a reliable scorer at this point.  We don't have the luxury of letting him play 25 + minutes and hope that his shooting improves and he becomes a better defender.  Yes, his D has improved, but he is not where the other two are in that regard and some of that is attributable to length.  Right now I would say FHughes should be starting and is the best defender of the three - in part because he has more experience than LN.  Just sayin.  Go Dukes. 

Board footera