Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/19/2018 9:14 pm  #1

Keith Dambrot

What a disgraceful performance by him. He owes everyone a huge apology. And I mean everyone. That was flat out terrible.

He cost his team tonight.  He wants to talk about winning a championship? He better look right in the mirror.

12/19/2018 9:16 pm  #2

Re: Keith Dambrot

I can't say I didn't like the enthusiasm.

12/19/2018 9:32 pm  #3

It's OK to be pissed at a bad call, but the Dukes were not good the whole second half.  What, 3 FG's in the second half?  KD needs to take a look at exactly, who, can hit an open 3 on this team, I don't care if it's some practice player off the bench, but this second half may have exposed one big weakness here.  No one on this team appears to be  a 3 point shooter?

12/19/2018 10:00 pm  #4

I am going to take the opposite side in favor of Coach. That official made bad calls against the Dukes all night. Almost every call. A coach has to defend his team. The official needs to walk away after his controversial call. Shame on the official for baiting and looking to T up.  Shame on him for an horrendous showing.

12/19/2018 10:05 pm  #5

HookShot wrote:

I am going to take the opposite side in favor of Coach. That official made bad calls against the Dukes all night. Almost every call. A coach has to defend his team. The official needs to walk away after his controversial call. Shame on the official for baiting and looking to T up.  Shame on him for an horrendous showing.

The truth is once he got the first technical, the game was probably over. He got his money’s worth after that. It’s officiating malpractice to call a T at that point in the game for being out of the coaches box. Absolutely ridiculous.

12/19/2018 10:13 pm  #6

I am with you Hook; I was there and #11 pushed off or used his elbow a lot all game and didn't get called once!  Moreover, all of the last 3 charging calls went against us.  On the post-game KD said he was more aggravated that after the 3 charges against us the ref, from at least 50' away, T's up Coach!  Give me a break, the ref wasn't even close to KD when he was jumping up and down,  which happens all the time.  The refs don't and shouldn't decide the game like that.  Hell Chambers was going crazy a number of times on the bench and  nothing was called.  My take is we lost the game on the boards, not that unexpected (especially with limited MH), and with unforced turnovers.  Hell, we must have had 6 or 7 traveling calls.  Anyway, we are going to be ok, but KD needs to shorten that bench even more - and start with ML II in my opinion.   

12/19/2018 10:17 pm  #7

What a jackass. Who does this coach think he is? A non talented PSU team punked the dukes on the glass. This team has no offense, i had to turn off the Pitt game it was so gross. Longwood shredded their defense the other week. I was expecting much more from Duquesne especially what they are giving dambrot.

Dambrot and Harper should be apologizing to the fans. The A10 has gone downhill.

12/19/2018 10:20 pm  #8

Bad calls are part of the game. With #11 driving to the hoop, the call could go either way. We've seen it hundreds of times. If Coach is under control, they go up 2 and we have 5 seconds to tie. If he goes ballistic, we lose by 6. 

He has to remember that he is representing Duquesne University. 

12/19/2018 10:21 pm  #9

PistolPete wrote:

I am with you Hook; I was there and #11 pushed off or used his elbow a lot all game and didn't get called once!  Moreover, all of the last 3 charging calls went against us.  On the post-game KD said he was more aggravated that after the 3 charges against us the ref, from at least 50' away, T's up Coach!  Give me a break, the ref wasn't even close to KD when he was jumping up and down,  which happens all the time.  The refs don't and shouldn't decide the game like that.  Hell Chambers was going crazy a number of times on the bench and  nothing was called.  My take is we lost the game on the boards, not that unexpected (especially with limited MH), and with unforced turnovers.  Hell, we must have had 6 or 7 traveling calls.  Anyway, we are going to be ok, but KD needs to shorten that bench even more - and start with ML II in my opinion.   

I would say that ML II is still  the most formful shooter on the team. He also made some nice defensive plays again tonight. Don't know the reasoning for putting Lewis on the end of the pine. 

12/19/2018 10:35 pm  #10

Calling a technical at end of game to decide the winner//????The players on both sides were cheated.I can't be mad at Dambrot,he is bringing the Dukes back.It sucks to be classified a mid major.

12/19/2018 11:54 pm  #11

HerbertHoover wrote:

What a jackass. Who does this coach think he is? A non talented PSU team punked the dukes on the glass. This team has no offense, i had to turn off the Pitt game it was so gross. Longwood shredded their defense the other week. I was expecting much more from Duquesne especially what they are giving dambrot.

Dambrot and Harper should be apologizing to the fans. The A10 has gone downhill.

Wow, you come out to post about once a year and do so tonight? Amazing

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/20/2018 12:01 am  #12

WEB wrote:

What a disgraceful performance by him. He owes everyone a huge apology. And I mean everyone. That was flat out terrible.

He cost his team tonight. He wants to talk about winning a championship? He better look right in the mirror.

Gee Web, maybe we'd take your opinions more seriously if it wasn't for the TWO YEARS you disappeared from this board without a trace when the  coach you supported heart and soul turned out to be a failure. Of course, you got to see him tonight.

Last edited by Tejas_Duke (12/20/2018 12:02 am)

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

12/20/2018 12:48 am  #13

Tejas_Duke wrote:

WEB wrote:

He cost his team tonight. He wants to talk about winning a championship? He better look right in the mirror.

Gee Web, maybe we'd take your opinions more seriously if it wasn't for the TWO YEARS you disappeared from this board without a trace when the  coach you supported heart and soul turned out to be a failure. Of course, you got to see him tonight.

There is no need to attack someone on the board. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and of course it was a heated loss. I disagree with Web.  I was okay with him flipping out because I CANNOT believe they called a T with 5.2 seconds left. That was complete and utter nonsense. It was a good game, and although it breaks my heart, we have to move on to EKU. 3 Losses OOC will still be nice to open A10 if we can manage it.

Last edited by Simms (12/20/2018 12:55 am)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

12/20/2018 4:27 am  #14

Simms wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

WEB wrote:

There is no need to attack someone on the board. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and of course it was a heated loss. I disagree with Web.  I was okay with him flipping out because I CANNOT believe they called a T with 5.2 seconds left. That was complete and utter nonsense. It was a good game, and although it breaks my heart, we have to move on to EKU. 3 Losses OOC will still be nice to open A10 if we can manage it.

It was a horrendous call to T up a coach in that situation.  I do agree there. But results matter and the fact is he took the game away from his players. It's just tough to swallow.

12/20/2018 5:11 am  #15

I'm with Coach. Brutal call and Dambrot responded/reacted the way 90% of the coaches in the NCAA would have. Problem is the ref choked, took the game out of the players hands. Given the previous calls, score and time left the ref had no reason to T him up. What do you guys want him to do? Stand there stoically and calmly contemplate what a bullshit call it was?
Don't give me that self righteous " representing Duquesne" crap. 
The guy wants to win and his players were screwed by that call.
That being said the turnovers were ridiculous. Most of them unforced.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

12/20/2018 5:15 am  #16

I was at the game, so I just saw the replay of the last play. It was a ticky-tacky foul in a game that was allowed to become physical. For example, not one over the back call on PSU. They mauled the Dukes which is their strength. The Dukes are just a bit away from winning this type of game, but they will learn to become more physical from this. It is not often that officiating costs a team the game. Tonight was an exception. The PSU football team doesn’t hit as hard as their basketball team does.

12/20/2018 5:56 am  #17

It was a lousy call in a close game.  We should have got the charge, hit the two free throws and ended the game.  I can't blame Dambrot for being upset.

"I can't spare this man, he fights!" - Abraham Lincoln on Grant

12/20/2018 8:00 am  #18

Well, you would not get 2 free throws on a charge!  You don’t shoot on a player control foul; but the foul should have been on Stephens for PSU a second or two before the contact with Mike Hughes, when Stephens extended his forearm into the chest of Eric Eilliams pushing him back off the ball!  That has been called an offensive foul for years; and it still is today! 
Clearly this official was looking to decide the game by calling a “coaching box” violation with 5-seconds left after a very questionable “block” call against Duquesne.  He was out of line; and should never work another game above the JrHigh level.  The guy is incompetent at best; and “on the take” at worst!  He reversed the betting results on the game and the O/U, by calling insane tech fouls! 
Dambrot did what any coach would do when he just got screwed by a gutless ref!  You can’t just sit back and take it.  I support the Coach; just a crooked incompetent ref; who should be banned!

12/20/2018 8:00 am  #19

Regardless of the block/charge call, which can always go either way, and the legitimacy of the technical fouls, Dambrot got outcoached in the second half by Pat freaking Chambers. I have a hard time blaming the officials when Duquesne made 3 fgs in the second half and the score  is tied with 5 seconds left. PSU made adjustments, and Duquesne had nothing to counter back with. Duquesne is getting killed on the boards, and TDM plays most of the second half. He wasn't even willing to rip it when he had an open look. He made some plays, but PSU is getting 3 or 4 shots a trip, you have to get someone in there who has a better chance of grabbing a rebound.

I would be fine with the official being tried at the Hague for the first technical, but Dambrot cannot lose his composure like that to get the second one.  The team needs to have better answers when the face a zone defense. Too many possessions were lost/wasted trying to figure out how to attack the zone.  Outside of Carry, it doesn't seem like the Dukes have any guards willing/able/empowered to drive to the basket. 

12/20/2018 8:29 am  #20

Dukes2012 wrote:

HookShot wrote:

I am going to take the opposite side in favor of Coach. That official made bad calls against the Dukes all night. Almost every call. A coach has to defend his team. The official needs to walk away after his controversial call. Shame on the official for baiting and looking to T up. Shame on him for an horrendous showing.

The truth is once he got the first technical, the game was probably over. He got his money’s worth after that. It’s officiating malpractice to call a T at that point in the game for being out of the coaches box. Absolutely ridiculous.

Couldn't agree more.  After first T game is out of reach, at that point with all the other tough calls he blew his top....

12/20/2018 8:31 am  #21

12/20/2018 10:29 am  #22

MM76:

I AGREE-  Dambrot got outcoached the 2nd half.  Not gonna repeat my post under game thread but I put there the two issues where Chambers out coaches him.

Last edited by FAM (12/20/2018 10:30 am)

12/20/2018 10:51 am  #23

Where is this "out-coached" crap coming from? Point out some examples, or don't say such stupid crap.

Are you outcoached when your team takes bad shots or doesn't hit its shots? Or when the refs make bad calls that decide the outcome? Are you outcoached when your best post player is limited by a knee injury?

12/20/2018 11:01 am  #24

Whoa! 

1.  Look at the rebounds - the huge change in the second half points to an adjustment he made (not smart enough to know the specifics) with them blocking out, etc.
2.  This one was obvious, and also stated to me by a colleague I had at the game who coached for years:  Chambers changed how the team reacted to the press and beat us a number of times in the first part of the second half.  Instead of us getting tired, the Dukes actually got tired.  He should have called off the press.
3.  Yes, we missed a lot of shots but took a lot less the first 8 minutes.  One of the reasons we missed was they did a better job on defense.

This is irrespective of the “regular” misses anyone would have and missed calls by the refs.

Last edited by FAM (12/20/2018 11:02 am)

12/20/2018 11:34 am  #25

Wow FAM.  With that negative cloud over you your posts remind me of Charlie Brown (I say that with love).  I saw a completely different game.  What I saw was Duquesne getting mugged with PS players pushing off and climbing backs.  I also saw a lot of unforced turnovers by the Dukes.  I am not sure how you pin that on the coach.  Still we  were in a position to win the game at the end.  A missed bunny lay up by Carry, and some bad calls against the Dukes, and the outcome might have been different.  Some may have a point that KD should have kept his Cool and cost the Dukes, but that quick "T" for being outside of the coaching box I don't think was warranted.  Just my take. 

Board footera