Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2013 8:59 am  #1

The AD made the appropriate decision! Let's give him credit

This is probably the first time I ever made a strong comment one way or another about the AD's decisions...and often, I agree most here on disagreeing with some of his decisions.  BTW, I don't know him personally, know where he lives, or have eaten lunch with him!  But I am a season ticket holder, huge supporter, and am involved in DUBall.  On this board it was pointed out, and rightfully so, that folks were afraid of the decision he would make - it would be the wrong one - or he won't be able to close the deal - and he won't get it right.  Well, You and I, wanted this guy, and he went out and got him.  So, let's acknowledge that.  Just sayin'  Now if he fails, and we don't like for him to fail, GA should not be blamed.

4/27/2013 9:01 am  #2

Re: The AD made the appropriate decision! Let's give him credit

I think he got it right.   I'm glad he did.  Congrats. 

I posted this in the womens bb section also. Chelsea Welch one of the six recuits of this class was apparently released and is now going to Pitt.  

4/27/2013 9:15 am  #3

Good.  That will give Dan another scholarship to work with.  

4/27/2013 9:19 am  #4

I not with you in the good news category.  If they released one to follow her, they would release them all.   You are going to just let one be released and not the rest. 

I'm truly puzzled why they would release players to follow her after what Pitt did to Russell Shell. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/27/2013 9:20 am)

4/27/2013 9:29 am  #5

I know, and this is going to sound "weird" to some and maybe folks will throw things at me, but maybe, and I have NO PROOF, that they want to look at kids as kids, and not put them in that position -  not how Pitt dealt with that (maybe that's why they have had so many drug problems in their football teams for so many years).  Anyhow, I am sure that Dan had to make the relationship first with these kids and I really don't think many will leave.  If you look back on her Twitter that was posted she talked about the Oakland Zoo months ago.  Anyhow, let's focus on the new coach - who he may want as an assistant, etc.  This is a time to embrace the positive!

4/27/2013 9:41 am  #6

FAM wrote:

I know, and this is going to sound "weird" to some and maybe folks will throw things at me, but maybe, and I have NO PROOF, that they want to look at kids as kids, and not put them in that position -  not how Pitt dealt with that (maybe that's why they have had so many drug problems in their football teams for so many years).  Anyhow, I am sure that Dan had to make the relationship first with these kids and I really don't think many will leave.  If you look back on her Twitter that was posted she talked about the Oakland Zoo months ago.  Anyhow, let's focus on the new coach - who he may want as an assistant, etc.  This is a time to embrace the positive!

I hope you are right.   But DU can not just submit to every one of Pitt's requests.  We can't take some sort of false moral high ground while other schools are being competitive and expect to win.  

I would love for Coach Burt to bring back Carmen Bruce for his staff. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/27/2013 9:42 am)

4/27/2013 10:20 am  #7

I hope this turns out to be a good hire, not only in the short term (it certainly is) but in the long terms as well. We've probably cinched the fact that Darcie Vincent, a one-time Duquesne star, will never coach at her alma mater, but what will ultimately prove to be more important is Dan Burt's success. I wish him all the best.

FAM, you creeped me out a little by admitting you follow these girls on Twitter. Not going to lie to you.

A Saturday morning news release. What a perfectly stupid PR move. There should have been a press conference Monday with the players and their families there. Even if the news leaks out over the weekend, so what? People are talking about Duquesne.

Greg continues to underwhelm me. No smiley face because unlike my playful jab at FAM, I'm dead serious about the AD.

And, no, we should not have released any players to Pitt. That's also some serious stupidity on the part of the AD.

4/27/2013 10:34 am  #8

Hey - no twitter follower here- don't even have it.  But I googled her name to read about how talented a player we are losing and all of her Twitter tweets came up.  When I scrolled down I saw the Pitt Drug Infested Zoo mentioned - just assumed she might have already known someone there.  Take your creep back  (:  

On a Side note - no one can argue that SMS was an EXCELLENT coach.  DAN will not be at her level.  So we have an excellent recruiter.  He has to bring in an EXCELLENT X and O's perons.

Last edited by FAM (4/27/2013 10:36 am)

4/27/2013 10:35 am  #9

We were laughing about the timing yesterday ED.  No doubt that whatever leak there is in
in the department leaked to Dejan forcing a Saturday morning announcement.  

I'm happy someone agrees with me about releasing players to Pitt. There is absolutely nothing wrong with saying you can't go to any A10 schools or Pitt.  You have 300+ other schools to choose from.  Good luck.  

Last edited by duqkurt (4/27/2013 10:38 am)

4/27/2013 10:45 am  #10

I hope he can recruit on his own merit.  it's a lot easier to seal the deal when SMS is the coach.  not sure how much of the recruiting genius is his own.  kind of like antigua recruiting for calipari/kentucky, no?

Wish him the best.  hope he can keep the team together and i bet the familiarity will help immensely.

4/27/2013 10:45 am  #11

Kurt, 
I agree that we shouldn't, but just presuming why we did.  Again, hopefully he will get someone even better - or an extra scholar. for a year after. Right now, he needs an excellent game day coach.

4/27/2013 10:48 am  #12

FAM cut the crap. You were probably Myface or Spacebook friends with her. Stalker.

Kurt, let it leak. Let it get talked about. Deny making a decision. Let it be news for more than a couple two-paragraph stories in the PG and TR. Give the guy a moment in the sun. Build him up. Do the right things for once. The guy never left Pittsburgh. We didn't have to wait for him to return.

I hope whoever he was talking to for Pitt the last two weeks is coming here. (Rhymes with Kruk) Pitt. Buncha Oakland a-(rhymes with goals).

4/27/2013 10:50 am  #13

I wouldnt discount Burt's coaching X's and O's but we don't know yet.  

The former coach tweeted a picture of herself with Angela Heintz.  So this is not looking good.   I'm not sure who the other girl bb player is in the picture with her. It may be our other recuit Erin W or April Robinson.  

FAM, I understand.  I just wish we would commit to winning.  

4/27/2013 10:52 am  #14

ElDuque wrote:

FAM cut the crap. You were probably Myface or Spacebook friends with her. Stalker.

Kurt, let it leak. Let it get talked about. Deny making a decision. Let it be news for more than a couple two-paragraph stories in the PG and TR. Give the guy a moment in the sun. Build him up. Do the right things for once. The guy never left Pittsburgh. We didn't have to wait for him to return.

I hope whoever he was talking to for Pitt the last two weeks is coming here. (Rhymes with Kruk) Pitt. Buncha Oakland a-(rhymes with goals).

I agree with the PR.   Stupid.   

It is not on the 93.7 the fans news updates. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/27/2013 10:53 am)

4/27/2013 10:53 am  #15

Why, when we can give the McConnells what they want and screw our own teams in the process? Why not send Wumi and Orsi there for a year too, you know, just to get them jumpstarted?

Guess he thinks the McConnells are his best bet for his next job.

I hope Burt has some killer instinct in him. Step on Pitt's throat for a couple of years. Suzie can coach at Seton Hill.

4/27/2013 11:44 am  #16

While the Timng of the Announcement leaves something to be desired -  Would like to wish Burt the Best of Luck -  as far as coaching/recruiting goes I think it is a LOT different for the guys and the gals - While the Ladies may have wanted to "play" for Suzie I doubt if she was "selling a career in hoops" to perspective recruits -  Hopefully Burt can tell future recruits "You can get a =14pxDAMN good education at DU -  IF you think the Education at Pitt is better by all means go there --  BUT think of where you want to be in 4-5 years.  While it is understandable that a perspective high school senior must take into consideration the discrepancy between Duquesne's tuition and Pitt's this would NOT be a factor to a hoops player who is getting the free ride.

4/27/2013 12:19 pm  #17

ElDuque wrote:

Why, when we can give the McConnells what they want and screw our own teams in the process? Why not send Wumi and Orsi there for a year too, you know, just to get them jumpstarted?

Guess he thinks the McConnells are his best bet for his next job.

I hope Burt has some killer instinct in him. Step on Pitt's throat for a couple of years. Suzie can coach at Seton Hill.

Amen!!!!   We just roll over and get played every F-in time. 

4/27/2013 12:46 pm  #18

Al, brilliant post. Love it.

4/27/2013 2:52 pm  #19

Stranger things have happened...Dan signed a contract with Pitt - they wouldn't let him go or he has to pay some $$$ to do so.  SMS wants the player we have.  A swap.  We will let Dan go if you let the player we want go!

Maybe I'm watching too many James Bond movies.

4/27/2013 3:12 pm  #20

I get giving limited release clauses to kids who already have played for your school and have a strong tie in to your brand. See TJ and Shell. I don't know if you do that with recruits and really, if they want to break their LOI all they have to do is sit out a year same as a transfer. I don't think we have a lot of power to restrict where they can go outside of the conference.

I def don't do it with E and Heintz. Why would you want to burn bridges to Seton Lasalle and Bishop Canevin? Denying them the right to follow Suzie too Pitt won't help Duquesne in the long run but it will piss off a couple of coaches who produce a lot of the WPIAL talent. It's not necessarily going to keep them here.

If you want to do whatever you can to block the other two, go for it. The Hungary pipeline is dead anyway.

Last edited by steve19981 (4/27/2013 3:18 pm)

4/27/2013 3:13 pm  #21

FAM wrote:

Stranger things have happened...Dan signed a contract with Pitt - they wouldn't let him go or he has to pay some $$$ to do so.  SMS wants the player we have.  A swap.  We will let Dan go if you let the player we want go!

Maybe I'm watching too many James Bond movies.

Well, wouldnt that just be sweet on her part.  At one point, didn't she have a contract with Duquesne.   So she gets to leave with no penalty, but Burt has to give her players to break his contract.   At this point, I put nothing past the McConnells or Pitt.   Or our stupidity to agree to it.  

Maybe we get extra lucky and Burt will hire Kathy McConnell who is with a WNBA team as an assistant coach.   We haven't been screwed enough by McConnell family yet. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/27/2013 3:14 pm)

4/28/2013 8:37 am  #22

I am betting they wanted SMS so bad to renew that there wasn't a penalty in her contract if she left.

4/28/2013 8:48 am  #23

Trinity grad named Duquesne women’s coach
(This was in the Washington Observer-Reporter)

Dan Burt, a graduate of Trinity High School and a native of Washington, has been named head women’s basketball coach at Duquesne University.
Burt, 42, has been the top assistant for Duquesne for the past six seasons. He replaces Suzie McConnell-Serio, who left to become the head coach at Pitt.
“I have dreamed of this moment for the last 16 years and today that dream came true,” Burt said in a release from the school.
Prior to Duquesne, he was an assistant at Bucknell, UNC-Wilmington and West Virginia.
He will be formally introduced at a news conference Monday.

4/28/2013 9:52 am  #24

duqkurt, 

respectfully your posts sound a bit sour grapes.  what were duquense's bargaining chips with a to-be elite coach? she wins and knows nothing else.  ever think that we were damn lucky to get mcconnell?  she wanted a D1 job, didn't want to leave the city, etc.  we couldn't have plucked her from a residence in johnstown, morgantown or even grove city.  she elevated the durkin era and set the table for the next person.  she controlled the cards. the players came for her and nothing else.  see how the seesaw was out of balance?

ever think that SMS gave comfort to TJ's decision to sign?  she knew she'd elevate her program and throught TJ could have a hand in doing the same on the men's side.  of course TJ loved RE but again, all things equal, having aunt Suzie in the same building was cool.

neither mcconnell can be asked to toil in perpetuity.  SMS felt that duquensne's stinky rep precluded the team from a NCAA berth.  TJ looked around and saw mediocrity with a coach that was to be canned.  Chicken and egg -- i think it was known by insiders that RE would be gone *before TJ made waves to move.

we should praise SMS for what she did at duquesne which is nothing short of awesome.  woman sportsman of the year.  i hope she conducts herself with dignity and has 24+ win seasons at Pitt.  Which she will.  She'll be ramped up for the city game.

4/28/2013 9:59 am  #25

one more thing, it was best for duquense to cut ties amicably with SMS. she was an insider. don't think she knows a thing or two about the funding limitations or juvenile hand slapping as compared to what other AD departments have? i doubt she had to pay her own cell phone bill but there were certainly other effed up things that happened.

she'll get the key to the pitt city when she's there. they are tired of losing, have $$$ and know she can get it done.

if we pissed her off we wouldn't get burt, she might pee in the pool of potential candidates (don't think they'd call her to ask about the job?), plus chelsea would still go to pitt and pay her own way.

it was a lose-lose-lose scenario. that's what you get when you are a program that struggles to doggy paddling in the deep end of the pool.

this is precisely why we only attract first-time coaches or coaches from much lower divisions. they'll eat all of the food on their plate without asking for seconds.

Last edited by Jeralta (4/28/2013 10:02 am)

Board footera