Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/27/2018 8:24 pm  #1

Lewis leaving?

From Jeff Goodman via Sarah Spencer on Twitter:

Duquesne junior guard Mike Lewis told @watchstadium that he is transferring out of the program. Averaged 14 per game his first two years, production dipped this year to 5.6 ppg.
@goodmanhoops

Don’t think this is on here so I thought I’d post.

12/27/2018 8:30 pm  #2

Re: Lewis leaving?

Mike Lewis just retweeted the Goodman tweet. Wish him nothing but luck. Brought my tickets to my house this year, he was a really nice kid.

12/27/2018 8:31 pm  #3

Not a shocker. With so many in the mix, and not spread out among 4 classes, you knew there would be some attrition. I wish him the best. I expect more.

12/27/2018 8:41 pm  #4

Looking at this, and also the players at Pitt that stayed after the coaching change, and are now leaving, I'll never again knock a player for bailing after a coaching change. It's in the player's best interest to explore all of his options. You just never know if a player will be a good fit for the new coach, and his system.

12/27/2018 8:52 pm  #5

Too bad. One of the most likable kids in recent memory. It will be nice to start spreading out the classes a bit. I guess having too much talent is better than the alternative.

12/27/2018 9:15 pm  #6

Maybe this will calm down Norman's dad, as he'll likely get some of those minutes. This will also give Wade more of a shot. Barring injury, I don't think Wade is going to run the point much. It's not that Wade can't play, Carry is simply a cut above him, and is going to be one of the better players to pull on a Duquesne jersey before he's done. That said, Wade will be in the mix at the 2 spot, even though he's smaller than Norman, and Hughes. Those three will battle it out for the second guard spot, with Hughes also getting time at the 3 spot. May the best men get the bulk of the playing time.

12/27/2018 9:25 pm  #7

duq81 wrote:

Maybe this will calm down Norman's dad, as he'll likely get some of those minutes. This will also give Wade more of a shot. Barring injury, I don't think Wade is going to run the point much. It's not that Wade can't play, Carry is simply a cut above him, and is going to be one of the better players to pull on a Duquesne jersey before he's done. That said, Wade will be in the mix at the 2 spot, even though he's smaller than Norman, and Hughes. Those three will battle it out for the second guard spot, with Hughes also getting time at the 3 spot. May the best men get the bulk of the playing time.

If Wade is getting meaningful minutes at the 2 guard we are in huge trouble. I expect to see Frankie Hughes grab this spot. I also see Maceo Austin stepping in day 1.

12/27/2018 9:36 pm  #8

WEB wrote:

duq81 wrote:

If Wade is getting meaningful minutes at the 2 guard we are in huge trouble. I expect to see Frankie Hughes grab this spot. I also see Maceo Austin stepping in day 1.

Well, Hughes will need to pick up his shooting if he's going to hold Norman off. .347 is just not going to cut it.

12/27/2018 9:41 pm  #9

I will reiterate what i see and that is that Carry is the guy, Norman has flashed some real talent and as for Frankie hughes i like his size and more may be coming. It a real shame about Lewis.

12/27/2018 9:46 pm  #10

I really like MLII but this is ultimately a good thing if it keeps F Hughes, TDM, & Lamar Norman in the program. It is also a good thing for him.There simply were not enough minutes to go around. Wade seems like the next most likely candidate for transfer.

It seemed pretty obvious that KD had moved on & was giving Mike  a gentle shove toward the door. The drastic cut in minutes, lack of plays run for him, & the constant quick hooks were not very subtle.

I suspect this will not be the last talented player to be ushered out over the next 18 months. This is what quality programs on the rise are forced to do. Players will need to both fit the system & achieve in order to keep their spot. It will be a complete shock if Kelly, Bizeau, Swingle, M Hughes, Weathers, Ellis, Rotroff, & Taylor are all around next season.

My great fear is that EW looks for greener pastures. Whether you see it as firm coaching or getting jerked around, his pseudo-suspension is likely to get people chirping in his ear.

I hope MLII gets a great spot & is granted the full 3 semesters of eligibility. There are 200+ programs for which he will be an outstanding add. 

Last edited by phil95 (12/27/2018 9:48 pm)

12/27/2018 9:56 pm  #11

phil95 wrote:

I really like MLII but this is ultimately a good thing if it keeps F Hughes, TDM, & Lamar Norman in the program. It is also a good thing for him.There simply were not enough minutes to go around. Wade seems like the next most likely candidate for transfer.

It seemed pretty obvious that KD had moved on & was giving Mike  a gentle shove toward the door. The drastic cut in minutes, lack of plays run for him, & the constant quick hooks were not very subtle.

I suspect this will not be the last talented player to be ushered out over the next 18 months. This is what quality programs on the rise are forced to do. Players will need to both fit the system & achieve in order to keep their spot. It will be a complete shock if Kelly, Bizeau, Swingle, M Hughes, Weathers, Ellis, Rotroff, & Taylor are all around next season.

My great fear is that EW looks for greener pastures. Whether you see it as firm coaching or getting jerked around, his pseudo-suspension is likely to get people chirping in his ear.

I hope MLII gets a great spot & is granted the full 3 semesters of eligibility. There are 200+ programs for which he will be an outstanding add. 

Taylor isn't going anywhere. He's here to play football. Rotroff has to be happy with his spot for now. Ellis will be here if his grades are ok. I doubt Swingle would have accepted a redshirt if he were looking to leave. Mike Hughes is in a good spot, no need to leave.

12/27/2018 10:07 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Taylor isn't going anywhere. He's here to play football. Rotroff has to be happy with his spot for now. Ellis will be here if his grades are ok. I doubt Swingle would have accepted a redshirt if he were looking to leave. Mike Hughes is in a good spot, no need to leave.

I don’t want to see any more departures, but if I had to guess who the most likely transfer would be I would say Bizeau. I just don’t see an obvious path to playing time given the current roster situation unless he really starts putting the ball in the hole. He seems to be having a difficult time adjusting to the speed of the college game.

12/27/2018 10:54 pm  #13

What a tough thing for this kid.  I totally understand, but looking back, Coach D. worked hard to get him to stay when he might have wanted to transfer.  I am sure that Coach D. feels bad also but the name of the game is to win.  ML just didn't score well when he was in there for most games.  Good Luck!  You are a wonderful young man and I wish you well.

12/27/2018 11:32 pm  #14

phil95 wrote:

Swingle is a redshirt....I would be SHOCKED if he was not here next year.  Same with walk-on Taylor. Ellis is sitting out this year...I would be shocked if he left for any other reason than grades.

EW's play of late has been pretty awesome.  I guess you are of the mind that KD F'ed up and he would be playing this way even without the "pseudo-suspension".  I don't believe you can coach or manage with the fear that players will leave.  I am sure KD does not coach that way.

I have watched KD for a decade and he always...ALWAYS pulls kids quick when their head is not in the game and they are making mistakes on defense.  On a scale of 1 to a million...it is ZERO were KD was screwing with Lewis trying to push him out the door.  If he wanted Lewis gone he would have asked him to leave before the season or after the season.  The class is better balanced with the Junior Lewis in the mix than without him.  Also...if Lewis played like he did last year or better it would make the team  incredibly difficult to beat because of that experianced leadership.

You mentioned in another thread that you did not like KD and think he is a "tool".  Even those that disagreed with KD's coaching philosophy liked him personally.  I have never heard/read anybody make the comments you have made.  I suspect that it has a lot to do with KD's comments to Ray Goss on the air.  KD does not give the normal interview...he is honest, open and frank.  Most find him refreshing after listening to the coach-speak of 99% of coaches. That frankness coupled with his passion will cause him to say things that may get him in trouble at times...especially after a loss.  He is respected by his peers being voted as chairman or the NCAA rules committee.  His teams at Akron almost never had any off the court issues....and he always dealt with any issues way before it became an issue with NCAA (I don't recall that the NCAA ever had any issue) and his standards are always above what is expected by the NCAA.  He has always given back to the community.  I recommend you go down to the basketball offices and walk in unannounced and have a chat with KD.  I am sure he will make time for you.  Let me know if you still think he is a "tool" after that chat.

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2017-05-12/mens-basketball-rules-committee-looks-future-game

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (12/27/2018 11:38 pm)

12/27/2018 11:41 pm  #15

Really hate to see Lewis leave.  He is the kind of person you want representing your university.  I really hope he finds a situation that he can flourish and makes him happy.

12/27/2018 11:47 pm  #16

81' Wade is not a 2 guard and I believe he will play point when he plays or when they need a second ball handler.  KD likes his handle and mentioned that after last game.  His shooting from outside thus far has not been dismal and frankly I can't recall him making a jumper - same with GB for that matter.  That said, I do think he has the athleticism and ability to get better and better and when he gets more confident he will start making some outside shots and he will need to do that even at the 1.  The 2 will be manned by FH and LN and with Lewis that was one too many, just a numbers game.  Best wishes to ML, he deserves it.  This is the nature of college basketball my friends.    

12/27/2018 11:49 pm  #17

Sorry, delete the word "not" in my third sentence regarding Wade's shooting.

12/28/2018 12:01 am  #18

I wonder if Lewis is 100% healthy.  This transfer will allow him time to recover and find a spot that works better for him.  I really hope it works out for him on the court and academically.  If I was a betting man...I would bet on Mike Lewis.  I will keep an eye on his career.

12/28/2018 12:27 am  #19

PistolPete wrote:

81' Wade is not a 2 guard and I believe he will play point when he plays or when they need a second ball handler.  KD likes his handle and mentioned that after last game.  His shooting from outside thus far has not been dismal and frankly I can't recall him making a jumper - same with GB for that matter.  That said, I do think he has the athleticism and ability to get better and better and when he gets more confident he will start making some outside shots and he will need to do that even at the 1.  The 2 will be manned by FH and LN and with Lewis that was one too many, just a numbers game.  Best wishes to ML, he deserves it.  This is the nature of college basketball my friends.    

If Wade plays, then does Dunn-Martin get glued to the bench? You can't play 3 point guards.

12/28/2018 8:51 am  #20

TDM's shown a good ability to shoot as well. I think he can flex. HCKD has put both TDM and Carry on the floor together at times.

Last edited by Face (12/28/2018 8:52 am)

12/28/2018 8:55 am  #21

why is anyone mentioning Wade in regards to losing Lewis?  They dont play the same position.  Wade is currently the 3rd PG on the roster, will play during full court pressure.  Why does anyone think his playing time will all of a sudden spike?  Hughes and Norman's will.  I hope any rumors of Norman not being happy about playing time can be put to rest now, or does he leave tomorrow?  

Just goes to show, careful what you wish for, we all wanted as many players as we could get, and now it appears thats even at the cost of one of our own.  Hope Lewis doesnt go to an A10 school and burn us down in the future.

12/28/2018 9:47 am  #22

81' see Townson's comment, which is where I am coming from.  Wade is a PG not a 2 and TDM really can jump between the two positions depending on match-ups and need.  Townson I would be somewhat surprised if ML ends up at an A-10 school, my guess is somewhere closer to home, but you never know.  In any event I am not worried and I wish ML the best.  That being said, I am pleased more PT has opened up for FH and LN.  I too hope this puts to rest any notion of LN transferring - I love the kid's potential.

12/28/2018 9:50 am  #23

I had asked a question about Mike Lewis II in other threads and on other sites because just watching from my seat in AJP from the start something didn't seem right there.  So I wondered if we were coming to this.

And while I understand his need to move on I am sorry to see it happen.  Mike may just be one of the best all around people I've seen on the team in a long time and maybe even outside basketball.  Very classy kid, very intelligent.  If he reads this, I wish  him only the best.  He deserves nothing less.

12/28/2018 9:57 am  #24

Pistol, i agree, and the only school I was really thinking of was St Louis.  He is from out that way.  And since Cam Johnson put to rest transferring within the conference, it could happen.  I think every single A10 team would welcome Lewis.  But SLU was the one I considered somewhat likely.

12/28/2018 10:08 am  #25

He won't transfer to St. Louis or any other A10 school. The A10 has a two-year non-compete rule for intraconference transfers. See: http://graphics.fansonly.com/confs/pac10/compl/ccaca/surveys/ictransfers.pdf. And since you only have five years to use your four years of eligibility, his career would be all but over.

I'm not surprised Lewis is leaving, though was expecting to hear that he was graduating early in May and would graduate-transfer out. If leaving now means he'll be able to play a conference season next year and a full season the year after that, if indeed that's how it works, then I guess that makes him a lot more appealing to whichever school he lands at. Wish him all the best, he gave us a lot to cheer for his first two years. 

Board footera