Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/27/2013 12:26 pm  #1

I wonder if this is a recuiting violation (Update)

http://twitter.com/CoachSerio/status/325697287517007872/photo/1

that was taken two days ago.  I believe one of the girls in the picture is a current DU signed recuit.  

This is the way that she is playing.  I have this saved and I think I will ask the NCAA about this on Monday.   Seems like she shouldn't be allowed to do this.  Tweet pictures of yourself with other teams players.  

Last edited by duqkurt (4/30/2013 7:22 am)

4/27/2013 2:41 pm  #2

Re: I wonder if this is a recuiting violation (Update)

Looks like the guy in the background is already on the phone to the NCAA.

4/27/2013 3:43 pm  #3

We will soon find out.   A call will be made to the NCAA on Monday.

4/27/2013 4:05 pm  #4

Kurt, don't we have a compliance officer? Maybe start there?

4/27/2013 4:23 pm  #5

Good Idea.   I will.

4/27/2013 4:42 pm  #6

Email to Rick Christensen, DU's compliance officer sent.  Monday I will send it to the NCAA.  And then maybe contact some members of the media that seem to love to be involved in Duquesne's business.

4/27/2013 4:45 pm  #7

especially since they are feeling her up.

4/27/2013 5:22 pm  #8

I contacted three members of the local print media.  Lets see if any take the time to respond. 

4/27/2013 5:56 pm  #9

I was able to find out that this was taken at the Roundball Classic on April 20th.  Our two WPIAL recruits were on the roster for these games.   I don't have a positive identification of either woman in the photo with her.  If anyone knows, I would be interested. 

4/27/2013 8:08 pm  #10

duqkurt wrote:

I was able to find out that this was taken at the Roundball Classic on April 20th.  Our two WPIAL recruits were on the roster for these games.   I don't have a positive identification of either woman in the photo with her.  If anyone knows, I would be interested. 

I believe that both girls are two of Duquesne's 2013 recruits who signed National Letters of Intent:  Angela Heintz from Seton LaSalle High School, and Erin Waskowiak from Bishop Canevin H. S., the WPIAL & PIAA "AA" 2013 champs.  I believe that the picture was taken at the Round Ball Classic last weekend where both players were participants on opposing all star teams.  I'm not sure this photo is necessarily a NCAA recruiting violation, but I think it demonstrates the touchy nature of the possibility of a departing coach's attempt to lure the Dukes' recruits crosstown to the coach's new home. 

I think the allegation of recruit poaching will make the Dukes' game at Pitt in December particularly interesting. 

4/27/2013 8:28 pm  #11

godukes1970 wrote:

duqkurt wrote:

I believe that both girls are two of Duquesne's 2013 recruits who signed National Letters of Intent:  Angela Heintz from Seton LaSalle High School, and Erin Waskowiak from Bishop Canevin H. S., the WPIAL & PIAA "AA" 2013 champs.  I believe that the picture was taken at the Round Ball Classic last weekend where both players were participants on opposing all star teams.  I'm not sure this photo is necessarily a NCAA recruiting violation, but I think it demonstrates the touchy nature of the possibility of a departing coach's attempt to lure the Dukes' recruits crosstown to the coach's new home. 

I think the allegation of recruit poaching will make the Dukes' game at Pitt in December particularly interesting. 

Thanks for the confrimation.  Yes, it was taken at the Roundball Classic.

And if anyone doesn't think she is not trying to get them to decommit and follow her to Pitt I have some land I would like to sell you. 

I think it would be a violation if they were to seek there release to follow her to Pitt.   

4/27/2013 8:40 pm  #12

If these are DU recruits it demonstrates questionable judgement by coach McConnell to post that  photo with that caption.  I do not know if it is an NCAA violation (it might  be), but it does lend to the apearance of tampering.

Last edited by CLK (4/27/2013 9:09 pm)

4/27/2013 8:49 pm  #13

If this was a recuiting period and they had not committed to Duquesne, it would be a definite violation.     You can't even comment on who you are recruiting.  So why would you be allowed to tweet pictures of another schools committed recruits.   

If they have been released from their Duquesne commitments, it is a DEFINITE violation.  If not, it is tampering, plain and simple.   Some times if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.  It is a duck.

Lets see if anyone in the media cares.   I sent it to three people from two newspapers.  Along with Duquesne's compliance officer.

Of course, it could mean that we have totally caved to all of Pitts demands and all the recruits have been released and they have committed to her at Pitt already.  Perhaps the picture was taken after they signed their letters of intent to her.

Last edited by duqkurt (4/27/2013 8:55 pm)

4/28/2013 3:39 am  #14

Was it not Pitt just a month ago in football that limited Shell as to which schools he would be eligible to transfer. And was that list of ineligible schools not drawn up of ex-coaches so as to erase tampering?
Will someone please explain to me how Duquesne allows McConnell to walk away from a new contract, across town and then gives her signed recruits releases from binding letters of scholarship so as to follow her across town?
Want release from your binding letters? No. The letters are "binding", Don't want to stay? Transfer. Want to transfer? OK, but Pitt is not one of the schools eligible for transfer. To hell with the "public opinion" and worrying what the press say (they didn't have a problem with the Pitt/Shell episode). This is the second episode of tampering at Duquesne involving the name McConnell. Is Duquesne the Barney Fife of Division one atheletics? Time to play hardball boys and girls..

4/28/2013 6:01 am  #15

Apulski, DU has already lost one member of its 2012 -2013 recruiting class to Pitt and the former coach because we had to release her. Chelsea Welch.  I am glad that others agree that we should stop rolling over and playing dead and letting Pitt do whatever they want!

4/28/2013 9:53 am  #16

ncaa will yawn at this.  

4/28/2013 11:32 am  #17

They may.  I don't care if the NCAA yawns.   I am going to contact them.  Someone has to have the guts to stand up for the best interest of Duquesne.   

For what it is worth, two parties have contacted me back concerning my initial e-mails.  One asked me additional questions. 

Last edited by duqkurt (4/28/2013 11:37 am)

4/30/2013 6:28 am  #18

apluski wrote:

Was it not Pitt just a month ago in football that limited Shell as to which schools he would be eligible to transfer. And was that list of ineligible schools not drawn up of ex-coaches so as to erase tampering?
Will someone please explain to me how Duquesne allows McConnell to walk away from a new contract, across town and then gives her signed recruits releases from binding letters of scholarship so as to follow her across town?
Want release from your binding letters? No. The letters are "binding", Don't want to stay? Transfer. Want to transfer? OK, but Pitt is not one of the schools eligible for transfer. To hell with the "public opinion" and worrying what the press say (they didn't have a problem with the Pitt/Shell episode). This is the second episode of tampering at Duquesne involving the name McConnell. Is Duquesne the Barney Fife of Division one atheletics? Time to play hardball boys and girls..

Shell was eligible to transfer to any school he watned. The blocked schools only meant Shell had to pay his way for one season before going on scholarship.

Schools don't normally fight a coach leaving because often they have to cherry-pick off another school to replace that coach. Most have buyouts in their contract to leave for another - better - program.

4/30/2013 6:29 am  #19

duqkurt wrote:

They may.  I don't care if the NCAA yawns.   I am going to contact them.  Someone has to have the guts to stand up for the best interest of Duquesne.   

For what it is worth, two parties have contacted me back concerning my initial e-mails.  One asked me additional questions. 

Before you contact them, you might want to see if these players broke NCAA rules by being with this coach.

4/30/2013 7:24 am  #20

Hmmm, it seems like a certain coach removed the tweet and the picture in question.   I wonder if this is a coincidence.  

4/30/2013 8:16 am  #21

ask yourself this:  Would Les Miles do this with an Florida recruit?    Or Urban Meyer with a Michigan recruit?  If they answer is yes, then its a violation.

I am not sure, but have the girls playing ball at DU signed scholarships?  Also, might not be an issue since its an all star game, and not a recruiting trip.  

I think it stinks, and SMS is showing her true colors(dookie brown).  

But, DU needs to grow a set, tell her to piss off, and inform all current players and recruits if they want to leave for Pitt, we will make it as difficult as possible.

4/30/2013 10:00 am  #22

Let's move on. Kurt has done all that can be done, if there is something amiss the NCAA will address it. Life tends to sort all of this stuff out, and I'm certain that good players are going to want to come here to play for Dan Burt. He's handled everything in a classy way.

Although as with Ferry I have no plans to get mentally attached to any coach at Duquesne any more because as we've learned from our AD, if they're successful, they're gone, and if they're mediocre, they get lifetime contracts.

4/30/2013 1:50 pm  #23

The article's on Dan Burt in the PG and especially in the Tribune were excellent.  So nice to read something positive and uplifitng about one of our own coaches!!!

4/30/2013 3:35 pm  #24

Its off topic, but since we all think the same regarding pitt, did you see the freshman QB got arrested for domestic violence(or something like that) and unlawful restraint?  WTF is going on up there???

Cant say I feel bad for them(Pitt).  b/w the transfers, SWAT raids and local police, their 2 major sports teams are running low on able bodies.  

Enjoy the ACC you bastages!

4/30/2013 6:20 pm  #25

Even if not a recruiting violation - which it may not be given that the title "They still love me anyway" or something like that could have been looked at along the lines of "they still love me even though I won't be their coach" I wonder if going to the Classic as a coach puts her in violation of illegally scouting.

Regardless, sour grapes IMO to report it.  I'm sure that what SMS did happens a lot, SMS was just stupid enough to do it publicly on twitter.  See duq81's previous comments on Shawn James coming here.

I still am amazed how negatively she's being viewed here, though I do get it.  If RE would have got the PSU job, how would we have viewed that?  SMS did as much - and IMO more - for our women's program than RE did for our men's.  Note that the women had never even reached the WNIT before SMS was here, and she got us into NCAA discussion for 2 of the last 3 years as well as routinely being able to host WNIT home games year in and year out.  Unfortunately, it just sucks that she went down the street three miles rather than anywhere else for her upgraded coaching position.

Board footera