Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/06/2019 7:54 am  #51

Re: Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

So, bottom line for me:
1. I bleeping hate losing.
2. We hung with Davidson on their court. No one does that.
3. There were a couple calls that could have gone either way that we didn't get. 
4. Shot selection has to be better in close games. TDM came off the bench and launched a three from Atlanta. Someone else (Frankie Hughes?) also put up a bad, long shot. But both bring a great spark to the offense.
5. Carry played great but made some freshman mistakes. When he's a senior, he might be the best player in this conference.
6. Rotroff and Kelly will both get better. I still think Swingle will be a beast and Ellis will be the best big man since Alston (Damien Saunders played as a big man but didn't have the length).
7. I bleeping hate losing. Did I mention that?

1/06/2019 9:16 am  #52

The offense was very stagnant in the 2nd half ( I only watched after the telecast of the hockey game ended ) so I can't speak to other points in the game. Other than 2 or 3 instances, it consisted of basically 4 guys standing around the perimeter , passing the ball around passively , and as the clock wound down hoisting up a 3 ball ,  or a one on one drive that resulted in a turnover , or some heavily contested shot that did not fall.

The game was there for the taking but unfortunately DU let another one slip away.

I know Coach D. has mentioned it on at least several occasions that each games minutes will be allocated based on the opponent and games situation but once again the player usage was a bit confusing at least to me.

Perhaps this year is truly just a lab experiment with the players to see what we have moving forward. One caveat however , NEVER, EVER assume that the next year's team roster is what you assume it will be. DU has had 2 players ( C. Randall and M. Lewis )  they were counting on depart since October.

Oh well ,let's bounce back and handle those mean Fordham Rams !!!!

1/06/2019 9:39 am  #53

The Dukes played a great game, but I agree with ghost in the last 5 minutes we looked tired on offense.  I looked at the minutes and Williams, F Huges, and Carry all played 34 minutes, M Hughes played 28,  and each of which point production went down in the second half.  I also don't understand why we didn't see more Norman.  The kid brings energy and offense.  We also need either Rotroff or Kelly to develop to play more PF.   Still we had our chances. Go Dukes.  

Just to clarfy on the PF slot, I thought Weathers had a pretty good game.  Taylor gave us 0 rebounds, 2 points and 4 fouls in 18 minutes. Maybe it was a match up issue, but still not good for future development.

Last edited by CLK (1/06/2019 9:59 am)

1/06/2019 11:03 am  #54

CLK wrote:

I agree with ghost in the last 5 minutes we looked tired on offense.

When Weathers went to the line for a 1 and 1 with a chance to tie the game in the closing minute I thought he looked tired and would most likely miss.  Sadly, he was and he did.  

I had this one penciled in as a loss, but being right there with a chance to pull off an upset makes this one tough for me to take.

1/06/2019 11:12 am  #55

CLK, Box & One and Ghost I am with you guys.  The offense was very stagnant the last 6 minutes or so.  KD we got tired, then where is NORMAN!  Fresh legs with some O to his game, he should have gotten more minutes.  Someone at the game said KD was yelling at LN for two bad defensive possessions and then he basically didn't play him.  I am sure he was sending a message, but what about his pet KTaylor.  I'm sorry, if you are building a "program" and for the future to develop your young guys how does that jive with playing a walk-on football player ahead of younger guys on scholarship.  This isn't Bo Jackson we are talking about here.  KD clearly has an affection for Taylor, but he was toasted a couple of times defensively, one of which on replay they showed the guy go right around him and MH had to foul at the rim, but Taylor still plays.  This isn't last year Coach where you had to play him and when you are struggling offensively Norman needed to play more - even if you played smaller.  Taylor gives you zip offensively. 

1/06/2019 11:56 am  #56

Box & One wrote:

I was in attendance tonight.
Some observations ...

Belk Arena holds about 4,800.  Waiting on final gate but it looked about 85-90% capacity.

Pretty sure i saw 4558.  Imagine how nice a home court ad we could have with 3000 people?   Or 4k!!!!

But they were mostly old, thats why it was quiet.  Did see student section.  Maybe it was underneath the 1 camera shot. 

Btw, we’ll have less than 1000 there wednesday.

1/06/2019 1:21 pm  #57

FAM wrote:

Wharf... I know they are young... but I can still be tired of the Dukes losing over these so many years...

No offense FAM.  I only got back on board with Everhart, so I get the long suffering you all endured.  Legitimate criticism in this thread (poor shot selection down the stretch, etc.), but I am encouraged for reasons stated by others. I think Pitt and Dukes were about 9 point u.dogs, and I wasn't ruling out the possibility of getting crushed like Pitt did.

1/06/2019 1:24 pm  #58

PistolPete wrote:

CLK, Box & One and Ghost I am with you guys.  The offense was very stagnant the last 6 minutes or so.  KD we got tired, then where is NORMAN!  Fresh legs with some O to his game, he should have gotten more minutes.  Someone at the game said KD was yelling at LN for two bad defensive possessions and then he basically didn't play him.  I am sure he was sending a message, but what about his pet KTaylor.  I'm sorry, if you are building a "program" and for the future to develop your young guys how does that jive with playing a walk-on football player ahead of younger guys on scholarship.  This isn't Bo Jackson we are talking about here.  KD clearly has an affection for Taylor, but he was toasted a couple of times defensively, one of which on replay they showed the guy go right around him and MH had to foul at the rim, but Taylor still plays.  This isn't last year Coach where you had to play him and when you are struggling offensively Norman needed to play more - even if you played smaller.  Taylor gives you zip offensively. 

Personally, I disagree with your comments on Taylor. I think Taylor provided some very good minutes yesterday. And moving forward, I want more Taylor. I think he will be very important to this team. He is experienced in the A10, he is a strong leader, he is very tough, and he rebounds. I think with all the talent we have on this team, Taylor could provide the gritty, tough Draymond Green type role for this team. Also, while he may not be as polished offensively as you would like, I do not think Weathers’ offensive game necessarily blows his out of the water. I have no problem with those two splitting time and pushing each other for minutes.

1/06/2019 1:28 pm  #59

I dont think anyone is giving up, its just how long do we have to endure close losses in games that might turn the program in the right direction?  When can we win one of these?  I think we know the coach is trying and players, and that sooner or later the bounces will go our way, but damn its getting old.  Davidson isnt that good.  We could have beaten them, maybe cause one of their better players was just back from injury.  Regardless, shoulda/coulda/woulda.  Lets win these next 2 at home and start getting positive vibes again.

1/06/2019 2:33 pm  #60

Great post, hookshot! You get it. Duquesne has never been competitive with Davidson. ElDuque gets a nod, too, for his astute observation that nobody goes into Davidson and wins consistently. This was a very good effort by the Dukes. When was the last time anyone was saying anything close to any of this, save for a few exciting times under RE. There is not one team in the A10 that is looking at Duquesne right now and saying it's an automatic win. And just think, they're only freshmen and sophomores. We have a lot to look forward to, dont you think?

1/06/2019 5:19 pm  #61

CityDuke wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

Personally, I disagree with your comments on Taylor. I think Taylor provided some very good minutes yesterday. And moving forward, I want more Taylor. I think he will be very important to this team. He is experienced in the A10, he is a strong leader, he is very tough, and he rebounds. I think with all the talent we have on this team, Taylor could provide the gritty, tough Draymond Green type role for this team. Also, while he may not be as polished offensively as you would like, I do not think Weathers’ offensive game necessarily blows his out of the water. I have no problem with those two splitting time and pushing each other for minutes.

[b][b]Power Forward is the position of greatest need & confusion for the Dukes. Taylor is all energy, grit, experience, & brains but is not tall/long enough or have the requisite scoring punch to play successful, big minutes at this level. Weathers has some experience, good length, & athleticism but lacks the finishing ability, FT shooting, & basketball I.Q. as a sophomore to be starting in the A-10. To complicate things, neither Rotroff nor Kelly is agile enough to play the position next to Mike Hughes in KD's preferred pressure defense. In the longer term, there is nobody either sitting out or coming in to change this for next season. This puts the coach in the strange spot of having 4 quality players without the specific qualities to carry the load at the 4.

I like Weathers's upside but as more of an ass kicking, energizer bunny off the bench. It seems unlikely that he will develop enough to be one of the the top 10 PFs in the league. The more likely scenario is that the man to man scheme is tweaked a bit to get very good results from the stengths offered by the Rotroff & Kelly combo.
[/b][/b]

Last edited by phil95 (1/06/2019 5:20 pm)

1/06/2019 5:54 pm  #62

The takeaways from yesterday's game are mostly positive. For me, moral victories are garbage but real, sustainable, program progress was in evidense last night. Playing neck & neck agaisnt that opponent, at that pace, & on the road is no small feat. The defense, in particular, was very solid. KD's more liberal use of timeouts to keep thjings calm was also impressive.

I like that TDM is a plucky, energy, defense guy. He has had some nice stretches & a few sublime moments. His overall aggression is a breath of fresh air. His gunslinger demeanor is attractive & fun to watch. He is a real bench asset that I am excited about. However, his shooting percentages from the field & shot selection are really bad & it is hard for me to consider KD a no nonsense master of accountability while this crap persists. This colt needs to be broken!

The offense gave me deja vu nausea for the last 8 minutes of the game. Aside from the quick center & drive play with Kelly, this stretch had a very Ferry/Colter/Mason feel. It was easy to see that KD was tryng like hell to get the troops into some better actions but Sincere & TDM couldn't seem to make it happen. So much dribbling, poor spacing, & so little EW at the high center post were hard to watch. This has to get cleaned up or the A-10 will strangle our Dukes with zone variations. This was one of the first times this season where I felt like the general lack of experience on the team was a huge factor.

I wonder if Rotroff has the chops yet to do some high/low work with MHughes? At some point, this should work well in both directions.

1/06/2019 6:22 pm  #63

I'll say it again: Weathers is taking undue heat on this board. 22 minutes, 4-8 from  the floor, 3-4 from the line, and 6 rebounds. The Dukes did not lose the game because of Weathers' play. His play will probably improve, but he is not a weakness in my opinion.

1/06/2019 8:13 pm  #64

phil95 wrote:

CityDuke wrote:

PistolPete wrote:

[b][b]Power Forward is the position of greatest need & confusion for the Dukes. Taylor is all energy, grit, experience, & brains but is not tall/long enough or have the requisite scoring punch to play successful, big minutes at this level. Weathers has some experience, good length, & athleticism but lacks the finishing ability, FT shooting, & basketball I.Q. as a sophomore to be starting in the A-10. To complicate things, neither Rotroff nor Kelly is agile enough to play the position next to Mike Hughes in KD's preferred pressure defense. In the longer term, there is nobody either sitting out or coming in to change this for next season. This puts the coach in the strange spot of having 4 quality players without the specific qualities to carry the load at the 4.

I like Weathers's upside but as more of an ass kicking, energizer bunny off the bench. It seems unlikely that he will develop enough to be one of the the top 10 PFs in the league. The more likely scenario is that the man to man scheme is tweaked a bit to get very good results from the stengths offered by the Rotroff & Kelly combo.
[/b][/b]

Weathers was a shooting guard coming out of HS.  He played Isiah Johnson ...the MAC player of the year and a 300 lb center...so well that lowly Miami beat the MAC's best team twice.  He can shoot, is athletic, has a high motor, willing to sacrifice his game for the good of the team and get this....has a high basketball IQ.

https://miamiredhawks.com/documents/2017/3/6/_mioh_m_baskbl_2016_17_stats__season_stats.pdf

Weathers will be a foundation player because he understands what playing in a team game means.  It surprises me that many want to see a few guys who are so foul prone they can't stay on the floor more that 10 minutes as the key players on the team.  Those kids will be fine....but they are freshman and need to develop and understand the game ...Weathers needs to be on the floor.

If KD pushed Lewis out the door...it would be the first time in his career that someone left mid-season because KD felt he was detrimental to the team. Are you suggesting the Lewis had an attitude problem and needed to be pushed out for the good of the team??   I am calling BS on this.   "Tool"   SMH

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/07/2019 2:49 pm)

1/07/2019 9:00 am  #65

Dsnyder15 posted this link to the MIAMI REDHAWKS men's basketball statistics page from Weather's time on the team in 2017

https://miamiredhawks.com/documents/2017/3/6/_mioh_m_baskbl_2016_17_stats__season_stats.pdf

Am I crazy (well, yeah) but does it read that Weather's F-throw % was .777% (160 of 206)? This isn't Wilt Chamberlin type free throw numbers. Weathers is capable of being a decent free throw shooter once he gets back into that muscle memory state. As applecorps in his post pointed out Weathers was 3 of 4 from the line against Davidson. Isn't that .75% (close to that Miami .777%?) Perhaps Saturday's game is the beginning of his break thru at the free throw line. It was unfortunate his miss was so untimely in that game. 
For the record, I am hugely disappointed so far in his overall play. Like many I expected him to be more of a force around the basket, but my opinion is beginning to soften. Posts by applecorps, Dsnyder15 and others have caused me to go back for a closer second look at the game replays, and Weathers other intangibles were not bad. Scoring is not the only criteria. As he matures, I now believe he will become a factor for this team. So, come on apluski, give him some room
Off this subject, when the Dukes' shooting went cold against Davidson, Norman should have been in there in a heartbeat--the guy brings it. My opinion is that the Dukes played a damn fine game Saturday. No quit in this team.

1/07/2019 10:14 am  #66

PistolPete wrote:

Again great effort on the road against a great coach, fan base & program. Since the Dukes are not covered by the PG or Trib on the road I went to the Charlotte newspaper for a different perspective. The Davidson coach could not raved enough about Sincere Carry. I forgot Who is the guy currently playing for the Warriors that Bob Mckillop coached at Davidson.

1/07/2019 12:04 pm  #67

I think it is Curry.
Dukes played well--hung around 
Couldn't make enough plays at the end
Next up is Fordham at home-a winable game

1/07/2019 5:37 pm  #68

apluski wrote:

Dsnyder15 posted this link to the MIAMI REDHAWKS men's basketball statistics page from Weather's time on the team in 2017

Am I crazy (well, yeah) but does it read that Weather's F-throw % was .777% (160 of 206)? This isn't Wilt Chamberlin type free throw numbers. Weathers is capable of being a decent free throw shooter once he gets back into that muscle memory state. As applecorps in his post pointed out Weathers was 3 of 4 from the line against Davidson. Isn't that .75% (close to that Miami .777%?) Perhaps Saturday's game is the beginning of his break thru at the free throw line. It was unfortunate his miss was so untimely in that game.
For the record, I am hugely disappointed so far in his overall play. Like many I expected him to be more of a force around the basket, but my opinion is beginning to soften. Posts by applecorps, Dsnyder15 and others have caused me to go back for a closer second look at the game replays, and Weathers other intangibles were not bad. Scoring is not the only criteria. As he matures, I now believe he will become a factor for this team. So, come on apluski, give him some room
Off this subject, when the Dukes' shooting went cold against Davidson, Norman should have been in there in a heartbeat--the guy brings it. My opinion is that the Dukes played a damn fine game Saturday. No quit in this team.

Those are his brothers stats He shot 68%.

1/07/2019 5:37 pm  #69

apluski wrote:

You are looking at the stats for his twin brother Micheal.  Micheal was the more sought after recruit.  They choose Miami so they could play together...and they knew the coach.  Marcus was 6-3, 195lb SG in HS.  He played PF and C for Miami...they were very small.  He is now 6-5 and 225 and I think he is still growing.  He was the best rebounder on the team at Miami and out played the MAC MVP Isiah (Big Dog) Johnson who was 6-10 300lbs.   I think Marcus learned to play a secondary role and without the ball because his brother was a dominant scorer who dominated the ball (PG who went to OK State after Cooper was fired at Miami).  Here are Marcus's #s at Miami (keep in mind he was always playing against bigger and stronger kids...he probably gave up 25-50lbs a game):
PPG                  9.7
FG %                 .513
3pt%                  .350
FPG%                .680
RPG:                 6.0
ORPG                2.23
Assists to T/O      .54

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/07/2019 5:42 pm)

1/07/2019 6:00 pm  #70

Dsnyder15 wrote:

apluski wrote:

You are looking at the stats for his twin brother Micheal.  Micheal was the more sought after recruit.  They choose Miami so they could play together...and they knew the coach.  Marcus was 6-3, 195lb SG in HS.  He played PF and C for Miami...they were very small.  He is now 6-5 and 225 and I think he is still growing.  He was the best rebounder on the team at Miami and out played the MAC MVP Isiah (Big Dog) Johnson who was 6-10 300lbs.   I think Marcus learned to play a secondary role and without the ball because his brother was a dominant scorer who dominated the ball (PG who went to OK State after Cooper was fired at Miami).  Here are Marcus's #s at Miami (keep in mind he was always playing against bigger and stronger kids...he probably gave up 25-50lbs a game):
PPG                  9.7
FPG%                .680
ORPG                2.23
Assists to T/O      .54

I I have a two fold reaction to Weathers numbers.

1. Those are definitely good numbers for a freshman big. Especially considering the fact that he played guard in high school which I was unaware of.

2. I don’t think that level of production would have necessarily translated at the A10 level. The OOC this season and the MAC are not what he will likely see in the A10 talent wise, all due respect.

The jury is still out on Weathers for me. He has had some strong performances as well as some weak ones to this point. I do realize he has had some type of injury this year as well which is a factor. I still think we need to see him take a significant step forward this season to feel like he can be the guy at the 4 spot for years to come, especially being 6-5.

It will be interesting to see what happens with recruiting this year. Will we not have another roster spot to go along with Austin because of the Lewis II departure? If that is the case, I would like to see us address the PF position if we can. Have not heard anything as it relates to additional recruiting for 2019 to this point.

1/07/2019 6:45 pm  #71

As someone mentioned, if Ells qualifies, and is as good as advertised, M. Hughes may move to be our 
PF with Ellis the shot blocker in the middle (or vice versa).  We will have an ample supply of bigs which is why I would like to see more of Rotroff or Kelly at PF.  We have seen that Rotroff is capable of hitting the three.  Also who knows, Bizeau could suddenly regain his confidence and be the PF.  Bottom line is I would like all of these kids to stick with this team and continue to develop.  But we know that at least one more player will have to transfer. 

Ellis video:    https://www.hudl.com/profile/8949716/James-Ellis

1/07/2019 7:45 pm  #72

CLK wrote:

As someone mentioned, if Ells qualifies, and is as good as advertised, M. Hughes may move to be our 
PF with Ellis the shot blocker in the middle (or vice versa).  We will have an ample supply of bigs which is why I would like to see more of Rotroff or Kelly at PF.  We have seen that Rotroff is capable of hitting the three.  Also who knows, Bizeau could suddenly regain his confidence and be the PF.  Bottom line is I would like all of these kids to stick with this team and continue to develop.  But we know that at least one more player will have to transfer. 

Ellis video:    https://www.hudl.com/profile/8949716/James-Ellis

I don't believe M Hughes is quick enough for the 4.  Also...KD likes his 4 to be able to hit the 3.  The PF at Akron the last 3 years was the SG/SF as a freshman (he grew).  Hughes will not be a 4.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/08/2019 8:41 am)

1/07/2019 8:00 pm  #73

Duques102 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

apluski wrote:

PPG                  9.7
FPG%                .680
ORPG                2.23
Assists to T/O      .54

1. Those are definitely good numbers for a freshman big. Especially considering the fact that he played guard in high school which I was unaware of.

2. I don’t think that level of production would have necessarily translated at the A10 level. The OOC this season and the MAC are not what he will likely see in the A10 talent wise, all due respect.

The jury is still out on Weathers for me. He has had some strong performances as well as some weak ones to this point. I do realize he has had some type of injury this year as well which is a factor. I still think we need to see him take a significant step forward this season to feel like he can be the guy at the 4 spot for years to come, especially being 6-5.

It will be interesting to see what happens with recruiting this year. Will we not have another roster spot to go along with Austin because of the Lewis II departure? If that is the case, I would like to see us address the PF position if we can. Have not heard anything as it relates to additional recruiting for 2019 to this point.

I am a MAC guy...and I believe the A10 is better than the MAC.  That said...
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

Marcus was not starting for Miami at the beginning of the year.  He was always in his brothers shadow.  I am very high on Marcus and believe he will do very well in KD's system. He will work within the system so he will seldom be the big scorer that so many view as the measure of success..  He is still young and will make mistakes.  Let's hold off over-analyzing  until year end.

1/07/2019 9:27 pm  #74

No roster spots available if Ellis qualifies:  in fact we are one over. 
  Williams
  Weathers
  Dunn-Martin
  M. Hughes
  F.  Hughes
  Carry
  Norman
  Rotroff
  Bizeau
  Wade
  Kelly
  Swingle
  Austin
  Ellis

Way too much criticism and over analyzing on this board.  Enjoy the ride.  I graduated in 71 so I have had to endure the wait, too.  Just chill folks - good things happening

1/07/2019 9:48 pm  #75

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

PPG                  9.7
FPG%                .680
ORPG                2.23
Assists to T/O      .54

I am a MAC guy...and I believe the A10 is better than the MAC.  That said...
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

Marcus was not starting for Miami at the beginning of the year.  He was always in his brothers shadow.  I am very high on Marcus and believe he will do very well in KD's system. He will work within the system so he will seldom be the big scorer that so many view as the measure of success..  He is still young and will make mistakes.  Let's hold off over-analyzing  until year end.

The MAC is going on its 20th consecutive year without an at large bid & has 1 tournament win in the last 6 years.

In the past 11 years, the Atlantic 10 has sent at least three teams to the tournament each March and 39 representatives overall, including 28 at-large berths. The highs were six total bids in 2014 and five in 2013. The conference has 13 tournament victories in the last 6 years.

The MAC has 2 former players currently on an NBA roster. The A-10 has 9.

Those conference RPI numbers are fairly meaningless. The MAC was rated better last year too & the A-10 still managed put 3 teams in & get 3 wins while the MAC got its automatic bid & 1 win.

These things are only relevant because we are discussing Weathers's ability to deal with the stronger competition over the next 2.5 seasons.

I really hope he stays, he has a ton to offer. At any other time in the last 20 years he would have been considered a godsend to the program. With modest improvement he could be a great backup PF at this level. I even like the idea of sneaking him in at the 3 for 4-5 minutes a game of maximum rebounding  and defensive intensity against bigger teams.

However, without a huge amount of development, the Dukes will have a hard time being a top 3 team in this league with him starting/playing the majority  of the minutes at the 4. If  he is the starter for his time here it won't be a disaster; he's good. Alternatively, if a player of Marcus's abilities is justly relegated to backup role, the Dukes will be sitting pretty. 

Board footera