Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/07/2019 10:19 pm  #76

Re: Game Thread - Davidson Wildcats

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

I I have a two fold reaction to Weathers numbers.

1. Those are definitely good numbers for a freshman big. Especially considering the fact that he played guard in high school which I was unaware of.

2. I don’t think that level of production would have necessarily translated at the A10 level. The OOC this season and the MAC are not what he will likely see in the A10 talent wise, all due respect.

The jury is still out on Weathers for me. He has had some strong performances as well as some weak ones to this point. I do realize he has had some type of injury this year as well which is a factor. I still think we need to see him take a significant step forward this season to feel like he can be the guy at the 4 spot for years to come, especially being 6-5.

It will be interesting to see what happens with recruiting this year. Will we not have another roster spot to go along with Austin because of the Lewis II departure? If that is the case, I would like to see us address the PF position if we can. Have not heard anything as it relates to additional recruiting for 2019 to this point.

I am a MAC guy...and I believe the A10 is better than the MAC.  That said...
https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/rpi-ranking/rpi-rating-by-conf
http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

Marcus was not starting for Miami at the beginning of the year.  He was always in his brothers shadow.  I am very high on Marcus and believe he will do very well in KD's system. He will work within the system so he will seldom be the big scorer that so many view as the measure of success..  He is still young and will make mistakes.  Let's hold off over-analyzing  until year end.

The MAC is going on its 20th consecutive year without an at large bid & has 1 tournament win in the last 6 years.

In the past 11 years, the Atlantic 10 has sent at least three teams to the tournament each March and 39 representatives overall, including 28 at-large berths. The highs were six total bids in 2014 and five in 2013. The conference has 13 tournament victories in the last 6 years.

The MAC has 2 former players currently on an NBA roster. The A-10 has 9.

Those conference RPI numbers are fairly meaningless. The MAC was rated better last year too & the A-10 still managed put 3 teams in & get 3 wins while the MAC got its automatic bid & 1 win.

These things are only relevant because we are discussing Weathers's ability to deal with the stronger competition over the next 2.5 seasons.

I really hope he stays, he has a ton to offer. At any other time in the last 20 years he would have been considered a godsend to the program. With modest improvement he could be a great backup PF at this level. I even like the idea of sneaking him in at the 3 for 4-5 minutes a game of maximum rebounding  and defensive intensity against bigger teams.

However, without a huge amount of development, the Dukes will have a hard time being a top 3 team in this league with him starting/playing the majority  of the minutes at the 4. If  he is the starter for his time here it won't be a disaster; he's good. Alternatively, if a player of Marcus's abilities is justly relegated to backup role, the Dukes will be sitting pretty. 

How many A10 teams are in the following list??  How many MAC teams??
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/associated-press

It seems to me that the A10 as currently set up is NOT the same as the A10 which you are referencing. 

I really don't want to debate which conference is better...we agree the A10 is better.  But it is better because it has better teams at the top....and weaker teams at the bottom.  The average competition is not that much different in the MAC. Just go ask M Hughes.

I will keep this for future reference.  "With modest improvement he could be a great backup PF at this level."   

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/07/2019 11:17 pm)

1/08/2019 10:00 am  #77

"Way too much criticism and over analyzing on this board.  Enjoy the ride.  I graduated in 71 so I have had to endure the wait, too.  Just chill folks - good things happening"

Good point kcc173.

Also, the A10 is a shell of what it once was not long ago when the RPI was sixth ahead of the SEC even. Remember that one? It could get back there or close. It seems to be in some sort of transition now for whatever reason. I would have to think the A10 is much closer to the MAC now than ever. Check the rankings. I see a Buffalo sighting, but I don't  see any A10 teams. Hmmm.
It's ripe for the pickings, Duquesne! Let's get these next two.

1/08/2019 11:05 am  #78

Dsnyder15 wrote:

CLK wrote:

As someone mentioned, if Ells qualifies, and is as good as advertised, M. Hughes may move to be our 
PF with Ellis the shot blocker in the middle (or vice versa).  We will have an ample supply of bigs which is why I would like to see more of Rotroff or Kelly at PF.  We have seen that Rotroff is capable of hitting the three.  Also who knows, Bizeau could suddenly regain his confidence and be the PF.  Bottom line is I would like all of these kids to stick with this team and continue to develop.  But we know that at least one more player will have to transfer. 

Ellis video:    https://www.hudl.com/profile/8949716/James-Ellis

I don't believe M Hughes is quick enough for the 4.  Also...KD likes his 4 to be able to hit the 3.  The PF at Akron the last 3 years was the SG/SF as a freshman (he grew).  Hughes will not be a 4.

Dsnyder, I appreciate your comments on this board, you bring a lot of good insight.  If KD is looking for his 4 to shoot the three right now I feel more confident in Rotroff hitting the three (3 of 6) than Weathers (4 of 20).  I know it is a small sample, but I really like Rotroff, and would like to see more of him in tandem with M Hughes.  Also, we are loaded with height, and wing span, if KD is really reluctant to play more zone than we have seen (as you have said previously), in my humble opinion I don't understand the composition of this team.  Having said that I am an old guy (KCC I was in grad school when you graduated), and not trying to be critical, just tying to understand. I really like the talent KD has brought in, and enjoying the ride, but sometimes KD has me scratching my head with his substitutions.   

1/08/2019 11:33 am  #79

CLK - I respect my elder!!  Enjoying the ride does not imply no criticism.  Never followed a team in any sport at any level that did not have me critical of the coach at certain moves or lack of.  But I think we have something positive happening.  Very quality talent but all frosh and sophs plus a small sample size of losses to critique.

1/08/2019 11:39 am  #80

CLK wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

CLK wrote:

As someone mentioned, if Ells qualifies, and is as good as advertised, M. Hughes may move to be our 
PF with Ellis the shot blocker in the middle (or vice versa).  We will have an ample supply of bigs which is why I would like to see more of Rotroff or Kelly at PF.  We have seen that Rotroff is capable of hitting the three.  Also who knows, Bizeau could suddenly regain his confidence and be the PF.  Bottom line is I would like all of these kids to stick with this team and continue to develop.  But we know that at least one more player will have to transfer. 

I don't believe M Hughes is quick enough for the 4.  Also...KD likes his 4 to be able to hit the 3.  The PF at Akron the last 3 years was the SG/SF as a freshman (he grew).  Hughes will not be a 4.

Dsnyder, I appreciate your comments on this board, you bring a lot of good insight.  If KD is looking for his 4 to shoot the three right now I feel more confident in Rotroff hitting the three (3 of 6) than Weathers (4 of 20).  I know it is a small sample, but I really like Rotroff, and would like to see more of him in tandem with M Hughes.  Also, we are loaded with height, and wing span, if KD is really reluctant to play more zone than we have seen (as you have said previously), in my humble opinion I don't understand the composition of this team.  Having said that I am an old guy (KCC I was in grad school when you graduated), and not trying to be critical, just tying to understand. I really like the talent KD has brought in, and enjoying the ride, but sometimes KD has me scratching my head with his substitutions.   

KD likes to have someone at the 4 who can hit the 3.  Stephan Curry shot .387 from 3 his last year at Davidson.  Weathers shot .350 his freshman year at Miami...playing inside.  Weathers can shoot...he just has not shot well for the Dukes.  One of the 4s will be a good shooter from 3...either the starter or the guy off the bench.  The 4 and 5 will usually be tough defenders, can rebound and play a solid game.  The more artistic and flamboyant players will be the 2 and 3. It is too early to know who fits where. 

There seems a passion for the zone here.  I don't believe KD will sacrifice the long term plan to possibly win one game.  He will not use Swingle even if it meant winning the game with Penn State because it would sacrifice the long term plan and burn his red shirt.  I think he is teaching man-to-man defense and will go with that....and with throw in some zone and other wrinkles as a change of pace and to keep the other team guessing. I doubt that he will "tweak the D"  or play zone to accommodate/hide Rotroff or Bizeau.  They will play hard on D and play within the team format or not get on the floor.  

I see some solid core players.  Carry, Williams, Hughes and I believe Weathers.  There are a lot of developing kids that will fit roles that will make this team a force next year and beyond.  They may surprise a few teams this year but it will not happen if Williams shoots 4-15.  Right now...they depend on his scoring to much to overcome a poor shooting game. Had Lewis quit prior to the season....other options may have been developed.  I assume they are working on those now.

Next year Kelly will not be so foul prone (let's hope so).  Rotroff and Bizeau will understand the speed of the game and work in the off-season to gain strength and add to their game.  Swingle will be able to add 5-10 minutes a game making Hughes all the more effective playing 25-28 minutes (and he will be in far better shape next year).  Carry and Wade will hold down the PG position.  We just need development and kids to step up at the 2 and 3.  With Williams and a dynamic guy at the 2....this team will be difficult to beat next year.  Good times are coming soon.  This is a time to enjoy and watch how the team develops and handles and overcomes the unexpected adversities.  

Kwan Cheatam was the 4 in KD's last year at Akron.  Check out his stats.
https://gozips.com/documents/2017/6/28//Akron_MBB_Stats_2016_17.pdf?id=12177

Here is the previous year.  Kretzer (Duquesne coach) and Cheatham manned the 4.  
https://gozips.com/documents/2016/3/16/2015-16_MBB_Stats.pdf?id=11206

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/08/2019 1:57 pm)

1/08/2019 12:54 pm  #81

Weathers should gain 25 pounds and become a new version of the round mound of rebound.
Chuck was about 3 bills at Auburn, but ran past guards.
Would be kinda cool to see a huge man with Weathers skills running the A10 courts.
Maybe a few students would show up????......Nah!
Kate Upton could be nude in section A5 and the male student population would be in their dorm rooms watching Walking Dead repeats and instatweeting

Last edited by townsonkid (1/08/2019 12:55 pm)

1/08/2019 2:02 pm  #82

townsonkid wrote:

Weathers should gain 25 pounds and become a new version of the round mound of rebound.
Chuck was about 3 bills at Auburn, but ran past guards.
Would be kinda cool to see a huge man with Weathers skills running the A10 courts.
Maybe a few students would show up????......Nah!
Kate Upton could be nude in section A5 and the male student population would be in their dorm rooms watching Walking Dead repeats and instatweeting

Calling out the Student Body / Instatweeters!

1/08/2019 2:27 pm  #83

CLK wrote:

These videos suck me in every time!
He seems a great deal more agile than your average 18 year old giant. Those outlet passes also got my attention. That's a rare skill in young bigs.

While I understand Ellis can't practice & is not permitted to participate in most team activities, it is clear that he is around the team all the time & he appears on the website as on the roster. I would love to know how his academic battle is going, what developmental things he is doing, if he is stronger, etc...

Does anybody have any info?

Board footera