Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/10/2019 3:16 pm  #51

Re: Game Thread - Fordham Rams (H)

If you haven't had a chance, I urge you to watch KD's post game conference. If you think you were troubled by the Dukes' performance yesterday, you got nothing on KD. It is rare that you see a coach so pissed off after a win. Good insight into the troubles.
https://www.facebook.com/GoDuquesne/videos/vb.209320593395/362919187839293/?type=2&theater

1/10/2019 4:39 pm  #52

Brian wrote:

Unless they counted the people that bought tickets for the Women's game as well as seats sold for the Men's game (attendance for the WBB game was listed at 617), this was the third highest attended game of the season behind PSU and W & M at 2,211 which is a half full Palumbo. I actually thought there was more of a crowd than what I would've expected.

Hopefully we get some more people for Saturday's game against what you'd think would be a desperate St Joe's squad and play better than last night. Coach certainly wasn't pleased judging by the post game presser.

Where can the post game presser be seen these days?

1/10/2019 4:41 pm  #53

phil95 wrote:

Brian wrote:

Unless they counted the people that bought tickets for the Women's game as well as seats sold for the Men's game (attendance for the WBB game was listed at 617), this was the third highest attended game of the season behind PSU and W & M at 2,211 which is a half full Palumbo. I actually thought there was more of a crowd than what I would've expected.

Hopefully we get some more people for Saturday's game against what you'd think would be a desperate St Joe's squad and play better than last night. Coach certainly wasn't pleased judging by the post game presser.

Where can the post game presser be seen these days?

Sorry. Perhaps I should have looked at the post DIRECTLY above mine before asking.

1/10/2019 4:56 pm  #54

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

If you haven't had a chance, I urge you to watch KD's post game conference. If you think you were troubled by the Dukes' performance yesterday, you got nothing on KD. It is rare that you see a coach so pissed off after a win. Good insight into the troubles.
https://www.facebook.com/GoDuquesne/videos/vb.209320593395/362919187839293/?type=2&theater

You gotta love KD.  He is so honest and open...not the typical coach speak.

KD played baseball at Akron.  That was what he was referring to when he said "I was hit 18 times".  I played one year of baseball at Akron and it was the year before KD...we never knew each other.  I think he played second base and he led the league in HBP.   He is just one of those guys that will do whatever it takes to help his team win.  I want to apologize for being a bit snarky lately....it just really pissed me off when someone called him a "tool" without taking the time to personally talk to KD.  He is available and will take the time to speak with anyone who takes the time to go down to the school/practice/offices.  You guys are lucky....KD will retire from Duquesne (I am hoping he returns to Akron when his coaching days are over as the AD).  You don't have to worry that he will have a few good years and bolt.  I suspect he will be doing this for another 8-10 years.  But he will NOT cut corners....there will be times you want to strangle him because you think he is stubborn.  Yeap...watch that video and you can tell he is stubborn.  He will not switch to zone because the kids are not working hard enough in man-to-man.  He will switch D when it is strategic.  

IMO...this is a development year.  He will do all that he can to win but building a winning machine and culture is the #1 goal.  And that culture starts with effort and practice.  If someone is not getting on the floor....look to practice.  Have patience....this team and program will get there....KD's goals are higher than yours.

Go Dukes!!!

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/11/2019 8:24 am)

1/10/2019 5:22 pm  #55

townsonkid wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

1111 Vickroy wrote:

To state the obvious, attendance generally is only going to improve by winning and winning against quality opponents. I dont think there will be much improvement this year unless they win several games in a row or are in a position at the end of the year to win the A10. I wonder though about what is done on campus to get the student body to the games. Has anybody seen Gormley at a game this year? I remember seeing him last year and he was really getting into the game.

Student attendance is an issue at almost every college across the country.  It will take time.  Winning and a new arena may solve the problem.  I hope WIFI and other student friendly amenities will be available at the new arena.

I saw him at W&M or UIC game, but not since.  But I'm not looking for him.

As for new arena, does anyone know if there is a plan to have a walkway from the garage to the arena?  I dont care about walking 100 yards outside at night when its 20 degrees and snowing, but some people do.  A small walkway, which DU has some of already, would add a nice touch to show fans they appreciate and care about them, and its a lot safer when sidewalks are iced over.

Good idea!

1/10/2019 9:27 pm  #56

Can't be bothered to look thru the threads, and maybe this is on the wrong one, but here it is.

Somebody said Weathers has an inadequacy because he has to head-fake in the lane to get the shot off or something like that. He doesn't elevate, it was written.

Yes, Weathers uses hesitation moves and pump fakes, which is the kind of stuff that elevated Bill Clark's game when he became a great player in his last season.

Eric Williams has great talent and has been a decisive factor in many Dukes wins, but if he incorporated some hesitations and head fakes when driving into the lane he could step up his effectiveness even more. EW gets it done only because he can shoot from any angle with either hand, and makes some unbelievable shots on his drives. 

Timing that throws off the defense is a real skill. Players that can use it should, no matter how much they can elevate.

1/10/2019 11:19 pm  #57

Dsnyder15 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

KD played baseball at Akron.  That was what he was referring to when he said "I was hit 18 times".  I played one year of baseball at Akron and it was the year before KD...we never knew each other.  I think he played second base and he led the league in HBP.   He is just one of those guys that will do whatever it takes to help his team win.  I want to apologize for being a bit snarky lately....it just really pissed me off when someone called him a "tool" without taking the time to personally talk to KD.  He is available and will take the time to speak with anyone who takes the time to go down to the school/practice/offices.  You guys are lucky....KD will retire from Duquesne (I am hoping he returns to Akron when his coaching days are over as the AD).  You don't have to worry that he will have a few good years and bolt.  I suspect he will be doing this for another 8-10 years.  But he will NOT cut corners....there will be times you want to strangle the him because you think he is stubborn.  Yeap...watch that video and you can tell he is stubborn.  He will not switch to zone because the kids are not working hard enough in man-to-man.  He will switch D when it is strategic.  

IMO...this is a development year.  He will do all that he can to win but building a winning machine and culture is the #1 goal.  And that culture starts with effort and practice.  If someone is not getting on the floor....look to practice.  Have patience....this team and program will get there....KD's goals are higher than yours.

Go Dukes!!!

DSnyder15, I’m with you all the way. I shake my head at some of these comments; but I’ve learned to take my Xanax before reading so I don’t react.

1/11/2019 8:33 am  #58

applecorps, here’s the EW dunk and Mike Hughes heart stopping reaction.
https://twitter.com/mike_hughes21/status/1083411857640169472?s=21
Also, looks like your concerned, well meaning comment got a little bit of a reaction on Twitter when someone posted a screenshot.
https://twitter.com/thebluffblog/status/1083409447119147012?s=21

1/11/2019 8:37 am  #59

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

applecorps, here’s the EW dunk and Mike Hughes heart stopping reaction.
https://twitter.com/mike_hughes21/status/1083411857640169472?s=21
Also, looks like your concerned, well meaning comment got a little bit of a reaction on Twitter when someone posted a screenshot.
https://twitter.com/thebluffblog/status/1083409447119147012?s=21

It is all in good fun.

When you watch that clip, Carry had at least two choices on his drive - kick the ball out to EW for the 3 or get it to Amari inside. He chose the latter; watch EW without the ball. TEXTBOOK!

1/11/2019 9:44 am  #60

Dsnyder15 wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

KD played baseball at Akron.  That was what he was referring to when he said "I was hit 18 times".  I played one year of baseball at Akron and it was the year before KD...we never knew each other.  I think he played second base and he led the league in HBP.   He is just one of those guys that will do whatever it takes to help his team win.  I want to apologize for being a bit snarky lately....it just really pissed me off when someone called him a "tool" without taking the time to personally talk to KD.  He is available and will take the time to speak with anyone who takes the time to go down to the school/practice/offices.  You guys are lucky....KD will retire from Duquesne (I am hoping he returns to Akron when his coaching days are over as the AD).  You don't have to worry that he will have a few good years and bolt.  I suspect he will be doing this for another 8-10 years.  But he will NOT cut corners....there will be times you want to strangle him because you think he is stubborn.  Yeap...watch that video and you can tell he is stubborn.  He will not switch to zone because the kids are not working hard enough in man-to-man.  He will switch D when it is strategic.  

Go Dukes!!!

It's the latter part of DSnyder's post that makes think the concerns about attendance can be overcome.  It will not be easy but I think it can be gradual. 

When I was a student Duquesne basketball was a habit.  It had a winning culture and a dedicated student body that filled the student section of the arena.  It had the interest of basketball fans in the city and area.  That was lost as we all know.  If KD is successful I think this gradual approach dedicated to doing it the right way as he perceives that will also bring people back including students.  You may have to wait for the current student body to cycle through and so you may have to put up with sparse crowds.  But if a winning culture is actually a predominate result of the work he is doing that, along with a new arena, can bring interest back. 

Some may say, well, they have been winning now - first to a point with Ron and now in his second year with Keith (at least as the record stands now).  But that is not enough.  It took decades to destroy the Duke's reputation.  It won't come back very fast.  And there is more competition now to overcome from another D1 school that has a better track record over the past several decades.  It's a mistake to sell KD's efforts short now because he is looking long term - something he has to do and that should have been part of Duquesne basketball over the decades.  That effort can and will pay dividends in attendance even if that is not happening now.

1/11/2019 10:08 am  #61

Mulder, good points. Patience is thin for many of us with good reason. But this turnaround in both performance and attendance is going to take some time.

What has not helped the situation is that KD does not have one signature win under his belt at Duquesne. The Dukes have not beat a top 125 team yet and lost every local rivalry game. A significant win or two would create an immediate spike in interest and a bit of a buzz.

1/11/2019 12:31 pm  #62

Agree with much of the above. I estimate 99% of the current student body decided to attend Duquesne before KD was hired so they weren't inspired by the Men's Basketball program because it was losing when they decided to come. I doubt that most students know KD was a more quality hire than we have had in a while since that takes a good knowledge of college basketball. Furthermore even if they hear that the President and Board of Trustees are more supportive of the program now, they very well may know that every college says that but not every college succeeds. So give them time. When we start winning big (quantity and quality), they'll realize it's fun to attend the games. 

1/11/2019 6:33 pm  #63

2 years from now they will be in the top tier of A10 and playing in the updated Palumbo. That should boost attendance.

1/11/2019 7:52 pm  #64

PistolPete wrote:

Now as to the game, Lamar Norman needs more minutes, especially when we are struggling to score - which was basically almost the first 10 minutes of the game.  TDM is a good spark and an agitating defender, but I have little tolerance for 1-7 from the floor when Norman is sitting on the pine.  Other than that the game was hard to watch for a large part of it.  Thankfully EW made the difference when it counted in the last few minutes.  Kelly played well and Weathers had his moments and seemed more poised and under control, but he doesn't seem to really elevate, which is why you see him double pump when going to the hoop.   

I am in favor of a slight Norman/TDM minutes re-distribution. When Lamar has it going he gives the defense a punch that TDM's size doesn't allow for while scoring in bunches, on better shots.

Right now, Tavian deserves more minutes because at this stage in Wade & Norman's development he is by far the most viable candidate as the secondary point guard.TDM has much to offer & has had his moments but, 15 games into the season, his shooting is a concern . While his overall FG percentage at Akron was not good, his 3  percentage was a solid 37.5%. I expected him to have heated-up by now from distance. 

For the first 10 games or so Norman really showed the pizzaz/enthusiasm KD referenced in the last post-game presser. He was everywhere on defense, using his athleticism on both ends, & giving the team a big lift. This has tapered a bit. Maybe this along with the standard freshman mistakes is keeping him off the floor.

I too have noticed Weathers's propensity for double-pumping without need. (Not writing about head fakes here; I am all for that.) This seems more like a nervous tick or bad habit in need of breaking because it messes with his ability to finish strong. Elevation cannot be the issue as Weathers has shown, on several occasions, that he can really get off the floor.

1/12/2019 11:18 am  #65

Mulder wrote:

.  It's a mistake to sell KD's efforts short now because he is looking long term - something he has to do and that should have been part of Duquesne basketball over the decades.  .

Hey, the previous coach had a "long term" outlook, and look what happened to him.

Sorry, I just had to, couldn't resist.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/12/2019 11:44 am  #66

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Mulder wrote:

.  It's a mistake to sell KD's efforts short now because he is looking long term - something he has to do and that should have been part of Duquesne basketball over the decades.  .

Hey, the previous coach had a "long term" outlook, and look what happened to him.

Hey, that's only fair. We smashed Ferry for talking about it taking 8-9 years to get it done, so no way should we then turn around and say it'll be ok for KD to take that long. KD set this team up to win in the next two years. Now we can debate the definition of "win", and how well he needs to do. Some won't be satisfied with anything less than March Madness, others would be happy with 20+ wins, and hopefully an NIT bid, and look to grow further from there. What will not be acceptable are losing seasons, or hovering around .500. Ferry was at .500 in his fourth year. We certainly expect more from KD than that.

1/12/2019 12:06 pm  #67

duq81 wrote:

Hey, that's only fair. We smashed Ferry for talking about it taking 8-9 years to get it done, so no way should we then turn around and say it'll be ok for KD to take that long. KD set this team up to win in the next two years. Now we can debate the definition of "win", and how well he needs to do. Some won't be satisfied with anything less than March Madness, others would be happy with 20+ wins, and hopefully an NIT bid, and look to grow further from there. What will not be acceptable are losing seasons, or hovering around .500. Ferry was at .500 in his fourth year. We certainly expect more from KD than that.

As I said earlier on this thread, I am starting to lose (just a bit, but it's there) some of my enthusiasm.  a 7 and 11 conference record, which is starting to seem a lot more likely than 11-7, and another 16 win, basically .500 record, will be disappointing to most of us, I believe.  I optimistically picked 20 wins and on the bubble for NIT consideration, as I figured they would win one or two OOC games against the good opponents (PSU, ND, Pitt), so a .500 A 10 record would still be a positive.  My personal benchmark this year is 18 wins or more.  Anything less and then we have a problem. There is way more talent than Ferry had in his second year, and halfway through the season we are still seeing the same bone head things that COACHING is supposed to fix!

I am still cautiously optimistic but the doubts are starting to creep in.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/12/2019 12:35 pm  #68

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

As I said earlier on this thread, I am starting to lose (just a bit, but it's there) some of my enthusiasm.  a 7 and 11 conference record, which is starting to seem a lot more likely than 11-7, and another 16 win, basically .500 record, will be disappointing to most of us, I believe.  I optimistically picked 20 wins and on the bubble for NIT consideration, as I figured they would win one or two OOC games against the good opponents (PSU, ND, Pitt), so a .500 A 10 record would still be a positive.  My personal benchmark this year is 18 wins or more.  Anything less and then we have a problem. There is way more talent than Ferry had in his second year, and halfway through the season we are still seeing the same bone head things that COACHING is supposed to fix!

Yeah, the Mike Lewis thing bothered me a bit too. It's not like one of the other shooting guards stepped up and took the job away from him. A position that looked to be a strength, is now a weakness. You have to think that KD expects to win with this group. You don't bring in all of those transfers if you don't think you can win with them. Otherwise, it would have been much better to build from the ground up with freshmen. I think the next 6 games will be telling. After today, you play two of the worst teams on the road, then 3 good teams at home. If we don't do well during this stretch, you may begin to see some of the transfers (other than Mike Hughes), get pushed aside in favor of playing the freshmen.

1/12/2019 6:34 pm  #69

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Yeah, the Mike Lewis thing bothered me a bit too. It's not like one of the other shooting guards stepped up and took the job away from him. A position that looked to be a strength, is now a weakness. You have to think that KD expects to win with this group. You don't bring in all of those transfers if you don't think you can win with them. Otherwise, it would have been much better to build from the ground up with freshmen. I think the next 6 games will be telling. After today, you play two of the worst teams on the road, then 3 good teams at home. If we don't do well during this stretch, you may begin to see some of the transfers (other than Mike Hughes), get pushed aside in favor of playing the freshmen.

All of the transfers will have 3 years of eligibility.  That is 3 good years....same as any freshman.  But I think he brought them in because of the effect in the locker room...they are all high charterer guys and hard workers who know what to expect from KD.  TDM was never going to start despite what some thought on here....he is a Vinnie Johnson type of player....streaky shooter, high energy, pesky defender and great teammate.  Hughes and Weathers are unlikely to be pushed aside....TDM will continue to come off the bench.  Practice is the key....check there.  Does anybody have access to practice??

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/12/2019 7:44 pm)

1/12/2019 6:58 pm  #70

Tejas_Duke wrote:

duq81 wrote:

1. If you knew Lewis would struggle and leave the team....how many wins would you have predicted??  You picked 20 with a strong performance from Lewis.  How many now??
2. Now you have had a chance to see the freshman...do you think they would add to your preseason estimate or subtract from it??
3. Is Williams over-performing or under-performing?? 

I think Williams is under-performing shooting and doing what was expected in other areas.  He is shooting 38%, down from 392% last year.  From 3pt he is shooting 38.3% from 3 up from 36.4%.  38.3% is an acceptable 3pt rate but his other shots are not falling.  I have seen dunks on highlights.  If you subtract the dunks the shooting percentage from non-3 shots his % is really low...it is 37.6% including some dunks (at 100%).  He should be well above that.  Is he trying to do to much to cover the offense deficiency??  

OK.   Knowing Lewis was not gong to help and Williams would struggle a bit scoring....what would your pre-season win prediction be??

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/12/2019 9:20 pm)

1/12/2019 7:19 pm  #71

Dsnyder15 wrote:

[

1. If you knew Lewis would struggle and leave the team....how many wins would you have predicted??  You picked 20 with a strong performance from Lewis.  How many now??
17.  With today's needed win I am staying at 20
2. Now you have had a chance to see the freshman...do you think they would add to your preseason estimate of subtract from it??
Knowing the season was going to be bumpy and a learning curve they would not, and still do not increase beyond 20 wins for me.
3. Is Williams over-performing or under-performing?? 
Can't really say

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

1/13/2019 8:20 am  #72

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Mulder wrote:

Funny Tejas!

I agree we did.  But Dambrot's long term, at least to me, is different in that his view is long term right from the beginning not in the middle of his run after, what - 5 years?  And his long term seems to be 4-5 years not 5 and, oh, by the way, I need another 5 - at least not yet. 

I won't be satisfied with anything less than March Madness with the NIT here and there.

1/13/2019 10:28 am  #73

Mulder wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Tejas_Duke wrote:

Funny Tejas!

I agree we did. But Dambrot's long term, at least to me, is different in that his view is long term right from the beginning not in the middle of his run after, what - 5 years? And his long term seems to be 4-5 years not 5 and, oh, by the way, I need another 5 - at least not yet.

I won't be satisfied with anything less than March Madness with the NIT here and there.

Winning is in KD's DNA.  That is why he took so many HBPs during his Akron baseball career.  Building a sustainable program is the goal...but he wants to win today and tomorrow.  That is why the rotation shrank to basically 7 against SJU....he is demanding those kids play hard and play together in practice.  There are a lot of new kids this year all with an ego of some degree....it has to be very difficult to mold them into a team...they are all vying for playing time.  Based on the Fordham presser it appears he has work to do in the area of team building and chemistry.  But make no mistake...KD wants to win NOW.  He will build the team with the future in mind. That is why Swingle will sit this year and lots of kids will get 5-8 minutes a game if they do what is expected in practice (see M Hughes #s at Akron as a freshman)  Here is KD's record at Akron and the coach he replaced.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Dambrot
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Hipsher

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/13/2019 10:38 am)

Board footera