Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2019 8:58 pm  #1

St. Joseph's game

The good news- Duquesne (offensively), looked more like the team of last season.  Best, and most aggressive performance by Kadri-Ann Lass in a long time.

However, Duquesne's guards cannot or will not pass the ball into the posts.

Defensively- Duquesne's players consistently got beat by St. Josphe's players going to the basket.  This team lacks the quickness and athleticism to effectively play the kind of defense they are asked to play.  

Conclusion- Since Duquesne will not go to a disruptive zone, or at least a zone that protects the middle- I just can't seem them winning the conference or winning the tournament.

1/16/2019 9:04 pm  #2

Re: St. Joseph's game

The Seniors REALLY Stepped Up Kadri-Ann 23 -  Julianna 21 -  Chas 17 (I think these are the totals)
Just about EVERY Team in the A-10 has warts -  Maybe the Ladies WILL catch Lightning in a Bottle.  They could go out in Round 1 - They could run the table!!!

Now REPEAT THE MEN'S HISTORIC WIN OVER THE SPIDERS!!!!!!

1/17/2019 7:11 am  #3

Easily the best all around performance of the year offensively for both teams. The Dukes moved the ball and took good shots for the most part. St. Joe’s point guard is a four year starter for a reason. She was very good. Dukes played with confidence and that has been missing. Liked what I saw. The team had an energy and although St. Joe stayed close, the feel of victory was there the whole game.

1/17/2019 9:00 am  #4

That's more like what we were expecting out of the women.  Good to finally see them play a great game like that.  Also kudos to the marketing department for the 90's theme!

1/17/2019 9:48 am  #5

Looks like we can all agree that OFFENSIVELY, this was a performance Dukes fans expected, though (in the spirit of continuous improvement), Dukes' guards need to avoid taking difficult shots when driving into the paint and look to pass to a more wide open player.  Secondly, game film will show multiple plays where Kadri-Ann and Lai were being single-teamed - and calling for the ball - and the guards (for reasons I have yet to understand) - did not give them the ball.

I guess no one sees the defensive holes, most notably, the lack of quickness to prevent drives to the basket.

Happy for the win (and there will be another win this weekend against Richmond), but I will continue to predict that Duquesne cannot expect to compete for the A10 Tourney crown with the current defensive system employed by the coaches.  It is not the players' fault.

1/17/2019 1:12 pm  #6

Let me cut to the chase. This guy spearlman is hands down the most negative person ever to post on these boards. Dukes lose, you complain. Dukes win, you find something wrong. This team is clearly on the upswing and you can't find any enjoyment in that.

The ladies have a great win over a long time rival in front of a great crowd - on a cold Wednesday night mind you and everybody was happy. Well, all but one.

What do you take away from this win? A prediction that the Dukes won't make a run in the A10s. Great support you show.

Go troll the UConn or Notre Dame boards if you are that unhappy with what Duquesne is doing now.

1/17/2019 1:59 pm  #7

uptown282 wrote:

Let me cut to the chase. This guy spearlman is hands down the most negative person ever to post on these boards. Dukes lose, you complain. Dukes win, you find something wrong. This team is clearly on the upswing and you can't find any enjoyment in that..

you're clearly new here

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/17/2019 3:12 pm  #8

I have been following and supporting the women's program since 2008-2009; so much for being new.

I have no affiliation with Duquesne.  I have followed women's basketball nationally since 1982-1983 when my alma mater (USC) won it's first national championship. The Dukes are one of several teams I have adopted because of the special relationship I have with them.

I don't reside in Pittsburgh.  I have traveled to watch and cheer for the Dukes when they've played in Virginia, Massachusetts, Florida, Kansas, New Hampshire and California.  I am a good friend of Dan Burt, know the assistant coaches well and over the years have personally come to know many of the great players.

One example- I watched April Robinson play @ S. Springfield HS, VA and heaped praise for Dan recruiting her.  

You can criticize me for making comments about what what the team needs to do (to succeed), but I believe that truly loving a team can also include honestly pointing out what the team needs to do to reach it's goal (the NCAA Tournament). It's called continuous improvement.    

1/18/2019 12:03 pm  #9

uptown282 wrote:

Let me cut to the chase. This guy spearlman is hands down the most negative person ever to post on these boards. Dukes lose, you complain. Dukes win, you find something wrong. This team is clearly on the upswing and you can't find any enjoyment in that.

The ladies have a great win over a long time rival in front of a great crowd - on a cold Wednesday night mind you and everybody was happy. Well, all but one.

What do you take away from this win? A prediction that the Dukes won't make a run in the A10s. Great support you show.

Go troll the UConn or Notre Dame boards if you are that unhappy with what Duquesne is doing now.

Hey, now, this is a message board and you're attacking a fan who has been one of the program's strongest supporters for expressing an opinion. Our desire here is to engage in conversation, not have personal attacks. 

I'm a huge supporter of the program, but the non-con start we had left me concern about the program also. I'm thrilled by the St. Joe's game, but need to see more to feel better about where the season is going. 

PS, Coach Burt himself has been very candid about his appraisal of the way we've played. Should we fire him for that? Certainly not. Nor will we kick loyal supporters off for either venting or expressing opinions.

Peace.

Board footera