Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/22/2019 9:10 am  #26

Re: I HOPE THE ATHLETIC DEPT DOESNT MUCK IT UP AGAIN

Dang, some guys seem to have a rope in hand and just looking for a tree.  I am not saying there is not a problem, but just trying to size it up and assessing responsibility. 

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that the operations of Palumbo is not the responsibility of the AD but falls under Facilities, and they contract out the "Game Day Operation" to a third party vendor.  This doesn't mean the AD can't express his disappointment or offer suggestions, but that he may have little control over the situation. In any event, I have heard Dave is a very accessible guy and wonder if any of you have emailed him your ideas and got any response?  

1/22/2019 9:33 am  #27

I thought Taylor was gone. He wasn’t used to sitting on the bench. His scholarship was football I think so he can focus on that. Good luck KT.  That maybe it as far as folks leaving for This year.

1/22/2019 9:57 am  #28

Yeah call the head coach because you don't like the lines to get in....that'll go far. 

Like previously stated....7 more games left in this arena...then they are throwing 40 mil so you are treated better. 

Roll Dukes Roll

1/22/2019 10:08 am  #29

CLK wrote:

Dang, some guys seem to have a rope in hand and just looking for a tree.  I am not saying there is not a problem, but just trying to size it up and assessing responsibility. 

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember that the operations of Palumbo is not the responsibility of the AD but falls under Facilities, and they contract out the "Game Day Operation" to a third party vendor.  This doesn't mean the AD can't express his disappointment or offer suggestions, but that he may have little control over the situation. In any event, I have heard Dave is a very accessible guy and wonder if any of you have emailed him your ideas and got any response?  

I don’t have a rope in hand.  And I’m not looking for a tree.  It was a suggestion.   If they dont want to address fan problems, fine with me.   If they want to address them 2 years after opening a renovated AJP and do an exhaustive study by hiring an expensive consultant  about how to get people into a building, fine with me also. 

One would think getting people into a building for an event shouldn’t be an issue.

1/22/2019 10:24 am  #30

I thought most of the gameday staff (Yellow shirts, concession stands) was Aramark, a third party vendor. 

1/22/2019 10:45 am  #31

A83 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I don’t have a rope in hand. And I’m not looking for a tree. It was a suggestion. If they dont want to address fan problems, fine with me. If they want to address them 2 years after opening a renovated AJP and do an exhaustive study by hiring an expensive consultant about how to get people into a building, fine with me also.

One would think getting people into a building for an event shouldn’t be an issue.

It is when you are a mid major in a city and your record for the past 23 seasons is 269 - 415. 

Roll Dukes Roll

1/22/2019 11:08 am  #32

You arent getting full time employees with benefits included that will be working the will call lines.  You either get a student or a part time person looking to make a few extra bucks on the side.  Neither give the poos if you stand in line.  Ushers are probably some required thing for any event.  X seats = Y ushers.   If you want an usher who actually does something, get those old dudes from PNC Park, they will at least show you to your seat and tell a joke, as long as you tip them.  :-)

If we win these next 3, or even 2, they can prepare for the last 4 games, but if we get swept 0-3, then forget about all this for now, it will be back to 100 students and 1500 fans.

BTW, has anyone heard anything about a going away game, last game at AJP, bring back the guys who played or coached there the last 30 years?  Show some highlights(few that there were) on that 75" scoreboard display?
Or bring in some poetry courtesy of Sarah McLachlan(she played there in the 90s) to close out the old barn.
anything at all?

Last edited by townsonkid (1/22/2019 3:24 pm)

1/22/2019 11:13 am  #33

A83 wrote:

CLK wrote:

I don’t have a rope in hand. And I’m not looking for a tree. It was a suggestion. If they dont want to address fan problems, fine with me. If they want to address them 2 years after opening a renovated AJP and do an exhaustive study by hiring an expensive consultant about how to get people into a building, fine with me also.

Not sure who "they" are.  That was the point of my post.  There seems to be a rush to judgement by many posters that the problem is caused by the incompetence of the Athletic Department.  It is hard for me to believe that Dave Haper does not want to see everything first class at Duquesne given what he has accomplished to date.  So again my question, has anyone spoken to or emailed Dave about the problem or offered suggestions to him?

Last edited by CLK (1/22/2019 11:18 am)

1/22/2019 11:44 am  #34

Pretty sure you are right CLK, at least that was so during GA's tenure.  Anyway, if the Facilities Dept. handles Palumbo and they contract it out then Dave H can at least prod them about the set-up for games, especially when a big crowd is expected.  I suspect they read this Board so my guess they are aware of some of the concerns.  Hopefully all goes smoothly tomorrow and Saturday and we bring home the wins!!  Go Dukes.

1/22/2019 11:58 am  #35

I think you right Pete.  Go Dukes!

1/22/2019 5:38 pm  #36

When I still had season tickets the ticket takers were members of other sports team and the one usher that I talked to was a student at Point Park.

1/22/2019 5:42 pm  #37

currentstudent wrote:

A83 wrote:

CLK wrote:

It is when you are a mid major in a city and your record for the past 23 seasons is 269 - 415. 

I well understand this.    I’m speaking of people that have already chosen to come to the game.   And moving them through the ticket buying line and through security in a timely manner.

1/22/2019 5:55 pm  #38

I use paper tickets that I have sent to my home address.
I enter the gate that has the will call and entrance to a weight room.
I have no problem getting through security. Fast and simple.
I buy only water and perhaps a prezel at the stand.  It doesn't matter to me the food.
I sit in the end zone-A5.  IMO, not bad seats.  
I got no real complaints.

1/22/2019 6:01 pm  #39

CLK wrote:

A83 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Not sure who "they" are.  That was the point of my post.  There seems to be a rush to judgement by many posters that the problem is caused by the incompetence of the Athletic Department.  It is hard for me to believe that Dave Haper does not want to see everything first class at Duquesne given what he has accomplished to date.  So again my question, has anyone spoken to or emailed Dave about the problem or offered suggestions to him?

The “they” I was referring to is the athletic department.   The ticket office is under the AD on the Go Duquesne website.   If the athletic department doesn’t control the number of security lines open to get into  facility, then someone in the athletic department needs to speak to someone in facility management. 

To your point of bringing this directly to the AD himself via email.    I did this with the previous regime and nothing was acknowledged.   I know this is a different person.  But I really don’t feel the need to offer my unsolicited opinion.   If I was ever asked in a survey I would offer my opinion.  I feel that unsolicited opinions offered via email are a waste of time.  My opinion only.  If they choose to read this on the message board, that is fine with me. 

I haven’t posted on this board in a very long time.    I used to post on the old Voy board all the time and I was constantly getting into arguments with people.   I take the blame for a lot of it.   And I don’t wish to go down that path again. 

When Web brought up his post in the other thread, it hit a sore spot with me.  Because I remember as plain as day that Sunday afternoon RI game.   I took four members of my family and it took us near 90 minutes to buy tickets and get in.   I viewed that as an opportunity lost by the school.    And at the time it was a huge topic of conversation on the old board.  And every time I try to get a family member to go they always say, “do you have tickets because I not waiting in that line.”   You get one chance to make a first impression.   

I see the same set up happening.  Improved play, media chatter and fan excitement.   I don’t want them to have another opportunity lost. 

I won’t comment on this anymore.  I gave my two cents ad nauseum.

1/23/2019 3:59 pm  #40

It appears your calls may have changed some things around here

https://goduquesne.com/news/2019/1/23/mens-basketball-duqmbb-gameday-experience-updates.aspx

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

1/23/2019 5:53 pm  #41

That is very good news.    I just want the best for Duquesne.   Thank you Mr Harper.  Go Dukes.

1/23/2019 6:20 pm  #42

yak-rbc wrote:

It appears your calls may have changed some things around here

https://goduquesne.com/news/2019/1/23/mens-basketball-duqmbb-gameday-experience-updates.aspx

What does DU charge for online ticket purchases??  Akron's 3rd party charges 7.05 per ticket and 3.80 per order.  Turns off a lot of casual fans.  32.00 for 4 tickets just to be able to purchase the tickets.  The tickets were 15.00.  The good thing is you can get good parking free.

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (1/23/2019 7:01 pm)

Board footera