Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/04/2019 9:02 am  #1

Next 4 are HUUUUUGE!!!

St Bona
@ Fordham
@ LaSalle
GW

Those arent the big names of the A10, but the W-L column is.
Probably got to win all 4 to have any shot at top 4 seed in Brooklyn, winning all 4 would should earn us 1 bye in Brooklyn. 
Considering @GMas, @Bona, @SLU and Dayton are 4 outta the last 5, these next 4 are crucial IMO.

This will be a grind, but the experience is worth it.  Should help players and coach get better for future years.

Last edited by townsonkid (2/04/2019 9:04 am)

2/04/2019 9:56 am  #2

Re: Next 4 are HUUUUUGE!!!

townsonkid wrote:

St Bona
@ Fordham
@ LaSalle
GW

Those arent the big names of the A10, but the W-L column is.
Probably got to win all 4 to have any shot at top 4 seed in Brooklyn, winning all 4 would should earn us 1 bye in Brooklyn. 
Considering @GMas, @Bona, @SLU and Dayton are 4 outta the last 5, these next 4 are crucial IMO.

This will be a grind, but the experience is worth it.  Should help players and coach get better for future years.

Definitely need to sweep these 4, and then steal one of the last 4, plus beat UMass to finish 12-6.

2/04/2019 10:16 am  #3

Being a DUQ fan for only the last 6 years.....I am thrilled that we can look at conference games as "should win." 

In the Jim Ferry SZNs it seemed like we were playing in the ACC. We are a young - balanced team that battling a little bit of in injury bug. I am knocking on wood but it seems like we have a great AD and head coach.  
I am so excited for my alma mater. 

Roll Dukes Roll

2/04/2019 10:33 am  #4

What is the status of TDM?Dukes could finish off these 4 teams but it gets a lot tougher without TDM.
It didn't look good when he left the game at Dayton.Going to be difficult without him.

2/04/2019 11:20 am  #5

stew wrote:

What is the status of TDM?Dukes could finish off these 4 teams but it gets a lot tougher without TDM.
It didn't look good when he left the game at Dayton.Going to be difficult without him.

Only thing I heard was it was a sprain.  IDK for sure, not sure anyone does outside of the team.
Wade and Norman will have to step it up.   Both can bring it.

2/04/2019 4:08 pm  #6

Does anyone know the last time we beat the Bonnies???

2/04/2019 5:21 pm  #7

FAM wrote:

Does anyone know the last time we beat the Bonnies???

January 16, 2016  95-88  @ Palumbo

2/04/2019 5:23 pm  #8

Thanks!  3 years...

2/04/2019 7:38 pm  #9

I saw TDM walking on campus and based upon what I saw my guess is that he won't be out for an extended period.  I would guess that he will miss a game or two.  Keep in mind that my handle is not "thedoctor1099"!!

2/04/2019 7:47 pm  #10

FAM wrote:

Thanks!  3 years...

Our Dukes broke the Richmond curse. This streak is nothing in comparison to that.

2/04/2019 9:57 pm  #11

Since KD made his "Do you guys want to win championships?" statement, I'm getting the vibe that he thinks the Dukes can become championship caliber this year.  He admits that they are not there yet, but they can be if they keep improving.  I have seen comments from some posters along the line of "Why not us?".

Here's a couple points that support this thinking.
• The A-10 is really down this year.  The conference now is the 12th best per KenPom.  The West Coast Conference, MAC, Southern and Ivy Leagues are all ahead of the A-10. Top to bottom, the conference is as weak as it has ever been.
• Separation of the A-10 teams into tiers has happened
--- VCU, Dayton and Davidson are the cream of the crop; Dukes are 0-3 but all 3 games came down to the final 120 seconds; certainly competed and were not outmatched. One game to go vs. Dayton at home.
--- Next tier is George Mason, Rhode Island and Saint Louis. Dukes are 2-0 vs this tier, with 2 games on the road to play.
--- Dukes and Bonnies fall into next tier.  2 games left here.
--- The bottom 6 teams.  Dukes are 4-0 here; with 4 games to go.

Moving up to the next tier starts Wednesday with a win vs. the Bonnies.  We must hold serve at home.  

2/04/2019 10:07 pm  #12

Bonnies record is misleading, they are pretty good,Davidson made some ridiculous shots at end of game
to best the Bonnies.Another nail biter.

2/05/2019 8:29 am  #13

They have a duo, G and F, that can fill it up.  This is a game we need MHughes, EW and Sin to all play at a high level.  

2/05/2019 9:15 am  #14

Pick up that W and hopefully TDM is back soon and we get that special guy with lots of energy and hustle 
and toughness.What a gift we got when he transferred over from Akron.Hes got some stones.

2/05/2019 10:39 am  #15

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

--- VCU, Dayton and Davidson are the cream of the crop; Dukes are 0-3 but all 3 games came down to the final 120 seconds; certainly competed and were not outmatched. One game to go vs. Dayton at home.
--- Next tier is George Mason, Rhode Island and Saint Louis. Dukes are 2-0 vs this tier, with 2 games on the road to play.

Moving up to the next tier starts Wednesday with a win vs. the Bonnies.  We must hold serve at home.  

Great post. I would say that Mason is first tier, as it has only lost to two other top tier teams (1 home/ 1 road) and has a road win at Dayton. 

I'd also put Duquesne and Bonas in the same tier as Rhody, and St. Louis. 
        * Bonas 0-3 vs. top tier, 0-1 vs. middle, and 4-0 vs. rest of league
        * Rhody 1-1 vs. top, 2-2 vs. middle, and 2-1 vs. rest
        * St. Louis 0-1 vs. top, 1-2 vs. middle, and 4-1 vs. rest
        * Dukes are 0-3 vs. top, 2-0 vs. middle, and 3-0 vs. rest

This is shaping up to be a good game tomorrow night. I watched the Bona/Davidson game, which was a mirror of the Duq/Dayton game (except Bona was home). The Bonnies are coming on strong now that they are healthier. Hoping that TDM is ready to give some minutes.

Go Dukes!

Last edited by rosceaux (2/05/2019 10:41 am)

2/05/2019 11:16 am  #16

rosceaux wrote:

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Great post. I would say that Mason is first tier, as it has only lost to two other top tier teams (1 home/ 1 road) and has a road win at Dayton. 

I'd also put Duquesne and Bonas in the same tier as Rhody, and St. Louis. 
        * Bonas 0-3 vs. top tier, 0-1 vs. middle, and 4-0 vs. rest of league
        * Rhody 1-1 vs. top, 2-2 vs. middle, and 2-1 vs. rest
        * St. Louis 0-1 vs. top, 1-2 vs. middle, and 4-1 vs. rest
        * Dukes are 0-3 vs. top, 2-0 vs. middle, and 3-0 vs. rest

This is shaping up to be a good game tomorrow night. I watched the Bona/Davidson game, which was a mirror of the Duq/Dayton game (except Bona was home). The Bonnies are coming on strong now that they are healthier. Hoping that TDM is ready to give some minutes.

Go Dukes!

Good points, rosceaux. I was grouping the tiers via KenPom rankings.
1st tier - KenPom 52-78
2nd tier - 118-132
3rd tier - Bonnies/Dukes 152-159
4th tier - 195-248

Per WEB’s post in another thread, the Dukes will be without TDM and Norman tomorrow, and a hurting Carry and Weathers. Tough sledding ahead.

2/05/2019 11:23 am  #17

That's what I figured. George Mason has seemed to figure things out once conference play started, and Stockard started to get healthy for the Bonnies around the same time. Both teams playing better, especially a number of the younger Bonnies. Their KenPom numbers likely skew lower due to their non-conference performances.

On the flip side, St. Louis is getting crushed with injuries right now, and ours are starting to mount. Its never an excuse for not winning. With both TDM and Norman out, Wade is going to have to pick up some minutes. Good thing he's seen as much game action as he has.

2/05/2019 1:23 pm  #18

For those worrying about depth, the Bonnies have a short bench.  They only go 7 or 8 deep.

Our guys need to bounce back and come out ready to play and take care of business.  Go Dukes!  

Board footera