Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/07/2013 4:52 pm  #1

Source: Atlantic 10 adding Davidson

Per Andy Katz article below: "The Atlantic 10 will add Davidson for the 2014-15 season and make the announcement Wednesday, a source with direct knowledge of the move told ESPN.com."

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/9251315/atlantic-10-add-davidson-wildcats-2014-15-source-says

5/07/2013 5:14 pm  #2

Re: Source: Atlantic 10 adding Davidson

Does Duquesne have any history of playing Mason or Davidson?  If so, how did Duquesne do?

5/07/2013 5:41 pm  #3

Bilgy wrote:

Does Duquesne have any history of playing Mason or Davidson?  If so, how did Duquesne do?

I thought you paid more attention than that. We play Mason on a semi regular basis. I can't remember us playing Davidson.

5/07/2013 6:17 pm  #4

Good thing we didn't play Davidson when Seth was there. Hoo, boy! That guy can flat out shoot.

5/07/2013 9:05 pm  #5

ElDuque wrote:

Good thing we didn't play Davidson when Seth was there. Hoo, boy! That guy can flat out shoot.

Seth plays for Duke. I think you mean Stephon.

5/08/2013 10:20 am  #6

I probably meant Del... damn I hate senility.

5/08/2013 10:47 am  #7

Davidson officially to join A10 2014-2015

http://www.goduquesne.com/genrel/050813aab.html

5/08/2013 12:46 pm  #8

This will help to stabilize the league for a short time, but the real issue is the new Big East taking St. Louis, Dayton or VCU from us. Changes continue with respect to college conferences.

5/08/2013 1:12 pm  #9

If they take Dayton and St Louis I think we are still fine.  Davidson and GMU lessen the bleeding a great deal.  Plus, we are now an East Coast Centric league that moves from North to South.  We also have the options of adding a Siena, Towson (Bmore market), or Charleston in the future to get back to 14 if need be.  We just have to pray the NBE takes Dayton and St Louis and not our new flagship, VCU.  

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/08/2013 1:35 pm  #10

St. Louis never seemed to be a good fit due to their location. U Mass could be looking also due to football.

5/08/2013 3:36 pm  #11

There is really nowhere for UMass to go. The NBE won't be taking VCU, Their lord, and overseer, Georgetown, doesn't want them. Richmond is the school that's battling Dayton for the last spot. Would suck for Dayton to get left behind, but they're really no more of an outlier than Davidson is. Charleston is very very far, and would be as much of an outlier as Saint Louis is now. I'd much rather have Siena, which fits the league geographically, and has a better track record than Charleston.

5/08/2013 3:44 pm  #12

duq81 wrote:

There is really nowhere for UMass to go. The NBE won't be taking VCU, Their lord, and overseer, Georgetown, doesn't want them. Richmond is the school that's battling Dayton for the last spot. Would suck for Dayton to get left behind, but they're really no more of an outlier than Davidson is. Charleston is very very far, and would be as much of an outlier as Saint Louis is now. I'd much rather have Siena, which fits the league geographically, and has a better track record than Charleston.

Given the choice, I would much rather take a trip to Charleston in the dead of winter than Albany NY!  Siena holds no great intrigue for me.  Their program has gone in the dumpster since Fran McCaffery left for Iowa.  I know Patsos has his wife out recruiting, as per another thread, and things may get better for them, but I'd rather go 9-hours south than 9-hours into the frozen tundra in January.

Why the concern for Dayton being left behind, when has Dayton ever been concerned about Duquesne or anyone else but Dayton. 

I don't really see Richmond getting the nod for the Catholic Big East; it is a pretty small school that is playing second fiddle in the City to VCU right now.

Last edited by levon1975 (5/08/2013 3:49 pm)

5/08/2013 8:07 pm  #13

I'm more concerned about the league going forward than about winter trips. If I wanted a winter trip, I'd be pulling for Florida Gulf Coast. Over the last 25 years, Siena has made more noise than CoC. It also adds a short trip for three schools that are somewhat out of the way, Bona, and the New England schools.

5/09/2013 8:34 am  #14

duq81 wrote:

I'm more concerned about the league going forward than about winter trips. If I wanted a winter trip, I'd be pulling for Florida Gulf Coast. Over the last 25 years, Siena has made more noise than CoC. It also adds a short trip for three schools that are somewhat out of the way, Bona, and the New England schools.

I wasn't really referring to you or I making the trip, but for the team.  After visiting Albany last year I can tell you that they would much prefer a trip to a nice (warmer climate) city like Charleston than the nothingness of Albany in winter. 
Also, I might add that UMASS might have an option of jumping to the new American Athletic Conference made up of UCONN, Cincy, Temple etc.  UMASS is playing D-1 football now and will be looking to cash in on playing in a BCS conference, no matter how weak it might be in terms of football.  The money is still greater than the A-10.  I know UMASS plays football in the MAC at present, but by moving to the American Athletic is something that they would likely pursue.

5/09/2013 9:43 am  #15

levon1975 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

I wasn't really referring to you or I making the trip, but for the team.  After visiting Albany last year I can tell you that they would much prefer a trip to a nice (warmer climate) city like Charleston than the nothingness of Albany in winter. 
Also, I might add that UMASS might have an option of jumping to the new American Athletic Conference made up of UCONN, Cincy, Temple etc.  UMASS is playing D-1 football now and will be looking to cash in on playing in a BCS conference, no matter how weak it might be in terms of football.  The money is still greater than the A-10.  I know UMASS plays football in the MAC at present, but by moving to the American Athletic is something that they would likely pursue.

While I do think UMass will eventually end up in the AAC, I have no idea when that will be, but I suspect the Minutemen will be in the A-10 for at least another 4 or 5 years. They already have 12 for football and UMass really doesn't add anything at the moment. Kent, Northern Illinois, UTEP, and UAB probably bring a lot more to the table than UMass does right now.

5/09/2013 11:05 am  #16

steve19981 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

While I do think UMass will eventually end up in the AAC, I have no idea when that will be, but I suspect the Minutemen will be in the A-10 for at least another 4 or 5 years. They already have 12 for football and UMass really doesn't add anything at the moment. Kent, Northern Illinois, UTEP, and UAB probably bring a lot more to the table than UMass does right now.

Bingo! UMass would jump in a NY minute, but the AAC has little interest in them at the moment. Their situation is not unlike ours, vis a vis the BE. Both schools would need to make serious noise in their current homes to recieve any interest from those leagues.  When UMass strings together a couple of MAC titles, the AAC may become interested. Right now, the last thing the AAC wants is another scrub team.

Board footera