Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

2/23/2019 7:11 pm  #26

Re: Game Thread - George Mason Patriots

stew wrote:

Thank you President Gormley and the board of directors as all this excitement wouldn't be taking place without your commitment to basketball at Duquesne.

I definitely echo those sentiments. Dambrot is what turned the program around, but we wanted him last time and couldn't bring him in. The commitment started at the top with President Gormley. That commitment allowed us to bring in a competent AD in Harper. His commitment allowed us to bring in an excellent head coach in Dambrot, and his dedication has brought in not only talented, but hungry players who have bought in to his system. This season has been more fun than I ever thought Duquesne basketball could be. Now we just need to figure out how to play 40 minutes instead of just 20.

Last edited by luckymcd (2/23/2019 7:12 pm)

2/23/2019 7:33 pm  #27

2/23/2019 7:43 pm  #28

I see GMU fans on reddit complaining that M Hughes pushed a ref during a media timeout and should have been ejected for it. Any idea what they’re talking about or just sour grapes?

2/23/2019 7:46 pm  #29

Face wrote:

I see GMU fans on reddit complaining that M Hughes pushed a ref during a media timeout and should have been ejected for it. Any idea what they’re talking about or just sour grapes?

Not sure but he is one of those under the skin type players you love to have on your team. Hate to see on other teams. Glad we have him.

2/23/2019 7:58 pm  #30

Super, super win!!  Once we settled down I would say we outplayed them for 2/3 of the game.  Stunning performance by TDM.  FH came up big with his 3's and MW had a double double.  KD coached them up with SC out and I am more and more concerned about that.  Just gutsy performance and contributions across the Board.  I would like to see EW start to hit some of the 15' jumpers as that would make him really tough to guard, but he was off today and we still won.  Can't say enough of the heart of this team!  And you what, foul shots kept us within striking distance even in the first half and we finished 15 of 17 I think.  Wow is foul shooting important.  Go Dukes!  Take down the whiners from Olean on Wednesday.  Hopefully SC can come back soon, but if not we are in good hands with KD,

2/23/2019 8:02 pm  #31

Outstanding comeback and to do it all without Sincere, no less. Great job adjusting to the constant double teams to the post and getting the open looks to knock down then eventually get the one on one opportunities inside.

TDM is gamer, really fun to watch and I'll admit I'm blown away at how efficient his line was for the game.

After M Hughes missed the up and under and the ball got tapped out to Kier, I thought that was big time trouble. For the five second threes he made, including the game tying bucket, the clean strip to thwart the layin attempt by Kier was, IMHO, Frankie's biggest play.

I though Amari played better than his stat line and was big with the foul trouble saddled on M Hughes and Marcus was huge as well, killing the smurf ball Patriots inside and on the offensive glass.

Hope Sincere is able to recover and let's get revenge on Wednesday.

2/23/2019 8:25 pm  #32

Tremendous win for the program & the coach. So many posts have pointed out so many good things. I am most excited by the winning mentality.

Weathers was a rock. I'd give him the game ball. 

If you heard Ray call the last 5.9 seconds you heard pure joy. He sounded 40 years old.

EWII did a nice job of having a rough shooting night, get a couple of rough calls, keeping his cool, & making a contribution anyway. Impressive stuff.

2/23/2019 8:51 pm  #33

These players give 100% for their coach every game. It's obvious that they have faith in him and they love playing for him and each other.  I don't remember the last time that I felt confident that Duquesne will not be out-coached, out-smarted and out-played in the last minute of a tight game.  As for TDM, KD said after the game, do you know what kind of talent you have to have to play at TDM's level in Division I at 5'8"?!!  He is remarkable,  If you are a Duquesne fan and can't get excited about this team, check your pulse!  I think this season has been a success and a huge step forward no matter what happens from this point.  The future is bright!

2/23/2019 9:00 pm  #34

Professor, from my moniker the pistol, BANG on point!  LET'S GO DUQUESNE!!!

2/23/2019 9:01 pm  #35

I missed the report on Sincere Carry. Can anybody fill me in on his condition? If he is out for the season, was there any word on whether off season surgery could finally fix the problem?

2/23/2019 9:05 pm  #36

Westender wrote:

I missed the report on Sincere Carry. Can anybody fill me in on his condition? If he is out for the season, was there any word on whether off season surgery could finally fix the problem?

Ray said all game he was day to day.   KD said on post game as I’m paraphrasing “when we get Sin back and that’s doubtful”.  But he was talking about TDM and just made that comment.

2/23/2019 9:09 pm  #37

Thanks 83. Has anyone heard anything else? Pretty strange that  he's out after the longest break of the season.

2/23/2019 9:11 pm  #38

What a great win! Weathers has been so consistent in A-10 play and can't say enough about the play of TDM. Everybody who played contributed. I thought Kelly, with the exception of a couple defensive lapse,s did well as did Norman and Wade. Dambrot really really wanted this one. So glad he got it. Fired up for Wednesday. One at a time.

2/23/2019 9:21 pm  #39

I also caught that comment. Great win but the Dukes are going to need Carry

2/23/2019 9:41 pm  #40

A83 wrote:

Westender wrote:

Ray said all game he was day to day. KD said on post game as I’m paraphrasing “when we get Sin back and that’s doubtful”. But he was talking about TDM and just made that comment.

My thought was when I heard that comment that Keith meant that it was doubtful that Sin would be back to full health this season but rather remain on a day to day basis for the remainder of the year.

2/23/2019 10:50 pm  #41

A83 wrote:

Westender wrote:

Ray said all game he was day to day. KD said on post game as I’m paraphrasing “when we get Sin back and that’s doubtful”. But he was talking about TDM and just made that comment.

KD said "questionable" I think, which is a bit better than "doubtful." But still concerning.

If TDM can do the same again, but with a more consistent performance (he started slightly flat) then it's much less a problem. Still would much rather have Carry than not.

2/23/2019 11:00 pm  #42

The unspoken reason we came home with the W today was the step-up from all the bench players. Obviously TDM, but Wade, Norman and Kelly all played much better than what we came to expect and provided much needed minutes away from the main four.

What an absolutely amazing game to watch

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

2/24/2019 12:19 am  #43

What would you have thought of our chances if you knew beforehand that Sincere would not play,  that EW would score only 4 points and the Dukes would give up 19 offensive rebounds???

Huge performances from all 4 transfers with solid contributions from 3 freshmen. This team continues to render me speechless. KD is a rock star.

2/24/2019 12:43 am  #44

I don't know what to say... unbelievable healing towards so many years of frustration to see the effort and guts to stay in this one and win it!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/24/2019 7:38 am  #45

Three come backs from over 15 points down in one season. This team never quits. Once we learn how to play 40 minutes this team is going to be darn near unstoppable. I am enjoying the ride this season but I can't help myself from thinking about how good this team is going to be next year and the following. Keith Dambrot is the coach we have been hoping to find for 3 decades

2/24/2019 8:40 am  #46

S.R.M. wrote:

Three come backs from over 15 points down in one season. This team never quits. Once we learn how to play 40 minutes this team is going to be darn near unstoppable. I am enjoying the ride this season but I can't help myself from thinking about how good this team is going to be next year and the following. Keith Dambrot is the coach we have been hoping to find for 3 decades

The only downside next year is not having a home court and a lot of road games.  I hope that doesn't hurt them too bad.

But the year following should set up nicely with the new Coop and the return games.

Last edited by coffee (2/24/2019 8:41 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

2/24/2019 8:50 am  #47

And "Coach D" - moves one step closer to starting a NEW STREAK of 20+ win seasons -  One would think that MORE PROGRAMS than just 3 could put them together - especially with those Conference Tournaments, CBI'S etc.  GLAD HE'S HERE!!!!!

2/24/2019 9:13 am  #48

How about at least 25% of a game, the very beginning, where the ONLY thing the Dukes did right was hit free throws!  Starting something like 7 of 8. I shudder to think what that early score would have looked like had we been our usual selves. 

The Mason announcers kept saying, "Well he's only a 59% shooter" or "He only hits about 62% of the time."

Team effort and great coaching.

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

2/24/2019 11:20 am  #49

I really don't know what to make of this team. They have played some of the most God-awful basketball in the program's history and some of the most incredible basketball in the program's history ... all in the same game. I've seen games where that has happened to a team here and there but never so many by one team in one season. I look at the pregame stats and realize I have no idea how this game is going to go. I'm glad they're winning but I also feel like these games are a high-wire act. One thing is certain, don't tune out early.

2/24/2019 12:06 pm  #50

rittersdiner wrote:

I really don't know what to make of this team. They have played some of the most God-awful basketball in the program's history and some of the most incredible basketball in the program's history ... all in the same game. I've seen games where that has happened to a team here and there but never so many by one team in one season. I look at the pregame stats and realize I have no idea how this game is going to go. I'm glad they're winning but I also feel like these games are a high-wire act. One thing is certain, don't tune out early.

I have been trying to think of a way to say exactly this. Well written.

TDM is the ultimate example of this. He was really, really bad for about 11 minutes (and frequently is) & ended-up being the inspiration for another thrilling victory (and frequently does). 

Board footera