Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/14/2013 9:34 am  #1

Did Amodio get a contract extension?

I heard a rumor a couple of weeks ago that Amodio was granted a contract extension.  I have not, however, seen any official announcement.  I hope this is not true.  I would have liked to have seen next year be the test for any extension.  I think a reasonable test for an extension would have been that next year:

1) At least one sport would have to make the NCAA (Football, Women's basketball, Men's soccer. Women's LAX) something.  No sport has made the NCAA under Amodio's tenure.
2) Men's basketball at least have a winning season, and beat Robet Morris to give some hope for the future of this program.  Also, there would have to be some measurable improvement in student support. 
3) Women's basketball competing for A10 title and at least another NIT bid.

Of course if he has already been granted an extension then Amodio is LHAO, and Charlie is not the leader I thought he was.

Last edited by CLK (5/14/2013 9:52 am)

5/14/2013 10:27 am  #2

Re: Did Amodio get a contract extension?

If it is true, it doesn't surprise me because he was entering his last year and that is when these things are normally completed.   I had a feelling they would extend him, because the people in charge don't really care about athletics.   And that is not going to change. 

It would have taken some sort of scandal to get him ousted.   Very few people in the Duquesne athletic department in administration positions ever get let go because of poor performance.  Look at his associate ADs.   Pretty much the same exact people in place that he hired.  Right down to the sports information people.   The only position that had turnover is the Assistant Director of Promotions (the postition who only duties appear to be scheduling the half time frisbee catching dogs once a year)  from the guy from Dayton to that current woman in the position.

You would think someone somewhere along the line an administration person would be held responsible for poor attendance, poor media coverage, student support, etc.  

Everyone once in a while a coach will be fired so the AD can pass along the blame.   The last 37 years haven't happened in a bubble.   It takes active indifference to get our results.

This is just more of the same, so I can't say that extending him early would be a surprise to me. 

Last edited by duqkurt (5/14/2013 12:06 pm)

5/14/2013 11:53 am  #3

It is my understanding that the rumor is indeed true although there has been no official announcement.  

5/14/2013 2:33 pm  #4

It must be true, because it's awfully hard to make up stuff like this.

5/14/2013 3:54 pm  #5

I just puked in my mouth. Seriously? We've given up on getting better?

This guy has zero accomplishments (and by accomplishments, I mean NCAA teams), he lets coaches stay around forever that don't have winning records, he fires coaches that do have winning records and allows them to be embarrassed on the way out the door. We're #3 in the city of Pittsburgh, #16 in the A-10. He hasn't got the juice to get the women's BB team in the NCAA Tournament, even though WVU got in. Student attendance at men's BB games is a joke. Then he's quoted in the paper talking about how crappy the program is, and why it doesn't deserve better consideration for the changes taking place in the conferences.

What the hell was the basis for an extension? Did he get the basketball locker rooms repainted again? Did he take credit for the Consol Center being built? For the Penguins' playoff run? The Steelers' draft? AJ Burnett's breaking ball?

I know there will be plenty of joy in Gregbuttkisserville, but those of us who aren't playing golf with him or his wife's Board of Directors boss understand that the second term of a guy who has accomplished nothing in his first term is a friggin' disaster.

He'd better hope Ferry is the savior of the men's basketball program. Not that it's going to solve the other problems.

5/14/2013 4:12 pm  #6

Recall my thread for all the reasons he's still here.

5/14/2013 6:10 pm  #7

Nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'
You gotta have somethin'
If you wanna be with me

5/15/2013 6:46 am  #8

It is interesting that there has been no press release on this topic.   The last time he was extended there was.   I think they know the press will ridicule them, so he won't release the news.   It is rather sad, but that is the Duquesne way.

5/15/2013 7:35 am  #9

I am so fed up with this. Nothing has changed at Duquesne in 33 years, no matter who is in charge or what they say.

5/15/2013 8:45 am  #10

Why is anyone shocked by this. This was set in stone last year, and is the reason why he fired RE when he did. No way would he have gotten an extension this year if he hadn't done what he did. Ron would have been fired this spring, and he likely would have gotten the boot as well. GA may not be good at his job, but he's obviously smart.

5/15/2013 10:52 am  #11

duq81 wrote:

GA may not be good at his job, but he's obviously smart.

Truer words have never been spoken. 

Grades
Running a Division I Athletic Program - D
Self Preservation - A+

Last edited by duqkurt (5/15/2013 10:57 am)

5/15/2013 11:53 am  #12

No Duquesne sport other than Men's basketball has ever made it to the NCAA tournament, and the last time that happened was 37 years ago.  That is the textbook definition of pathetic.  As Kurt pointed out in his post you would think someone somewhere along the line an administration person would be held responsible for poor performance, attendance, poor media coverage, student support, etc.  Not at Duquesne!  There is no desire to even admit there is a problem, let alone study it and try to come up with solutions. There are no performance measures, instead Dougherty quietly extends the AD's contract in hope that nobobdy will notice.  I just read where Auburn University just completed a review of their Athletic Department by a group of business people, former AD at another school, administrators and former athletes because their football team and basketball team finished last in the SEC.  Their president stated that the review focused on academic and support services for student-athletes, financial management, customer service, competition and management structure.  Why doesn't this happen at Duquesne?  Don't bother responding to that question I know the answer.

Last edited by CLK (5/15/2013 11:59 am)

5/15/2013 12:28 pm  #13

Very sad. All is left up to the varsity head coaches to overcome a non-supportive administration and athletic dept. Jim Ferry had better be extra good! Just good will not be good enough!

5/15/2013 5:41 pm  #14

president wrote:

Very sad. All is left up to the varsity head coaches to overcome a non-supportive administration and athletic dept. Jim Ferry had better be extra good! Just good will not be good enough!

Very true about everything being left up to the varsity coaches.  Having said that, I would just die to know the pictures or information that Steve Opperman, womens vb coach possesses.  Over 10+ years at DU.  A career 50+ games under .500 in the A10.  Never comes close to winning a set let alone a match against a top A10 team.......just keeps his job.  Fattens his record by beating St Francis and Liberty OOC.  

The man should write a book about how he does it.   He has some great dirt on someone at DU!!!

5/15/2013 8:58 pm  #15

duqkurt wrote:

president wrote:

Very true about everything being left up to the varsity coaches.  Having said that, I would just die to know the pictures or information that Steve Opperman, womens vb coach possesses.  Over 10+ years at DU.  A career 50+ games under .500 in the A10.  Never comes close to winning a set let alone a match against a top A10 team.......just keeps his job.  Fattens his record by beating St Francis and Liberty OOC.  

The man should write a book about how he does it.   He has some great dirt on someone at DU!!!

No one will ever top BC though. Cost the school a fortune with the sexual harrassment thing, then cost the school over a million dollars with the stupid MCC fiasco. Yet he kept his job for another decade, as the program crashed and burned.

5/16/2013 4:44 pm  #16

Duq needs Amodio more than Amodio needs Duq

5/16/2013 5:21 pm  #17

Jeralta wrote:

Duq needs Amodio more than Amodio needs Duq

Jeralta, that sounds like a pretty silly comment to me, given Amodio's record, but ok I'll bite, why? 

Last edited by CLK (5/16/2013 6:03 pm)

5/16/2013 8:52 pm  #18

It was a sarcastic comment to reflect the state of duq athletics and how far we've sunk...to the point that amodio is more valuable to us to keep the school leadership from parting ways. Recall my post?  Ncaa regionals, whipping boy, etc.

Board footera