Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/11/2019 11:16 am  #1

Moving Forward

Hats off to the women who made a great late season run for the A-10 Championship.  The lop-sided loss to Fordham is not a true reflection of this team's ability to perform against Fordham.  

As a comparison, about a month ago, #7 Stanford lost to (then) #3 Oregon by 40 POINTS!  Last night in Vegas, Stanford snuffed Oregon in a rematch and won the PAC-12 Tournament.  Next season, I would not be surprised if Duquesne defeats Fordham.

Moving forward, someone mentioned there might be one or two scholarships available.  Dan and his staff may already be working on this angle, but there may indeed be some unsigned JC players out there who could step in and provide instant impact.

Personally, would love to see Duquesne acquire an athletic #2 guard who could create from the dribble, drive to the paint, absorb contact and score.  It's more difficult to find good #4 and #5 players from JC ranks, but maybe there's a less-skilled (but very athletic) #4 still out there that can be developed.  Getting such players will help Duquesne in the future if they schedule games against athletic programs like TCU and Texas.

Wishing the team the best, moving forward. 

3/11/2019 12:36 pm  #2

Re: Moving Forward

Given that Penn State fired their coach last Friday I wonder if there is a chance that Makenna Marisa from Peters Twp. will ask to be  released from her LOI and reopen her recruiting.  She would be a nice replacement for Eni.

3/11/2019 2:05 pm  #3

I think the girl from Peters has family tradition at PSU and was going there regardless of who the coach was.  Wouldnt hurt to inquire tho.

3/11/2019 5:19 pm  #4

Girl from Peter's Township DOES have family relationship with PSU -  Would LOVE to see the type of player Sperlman is talking about wind up on the Bluff -  But it's a PRETTY TOUGH SELL -  Don't even know WHERE they are going to play their games next year -  Could be some double-headers at PPG but can't see the athletic department paying the rent there for single ladies games with the kind of support they receive.  Competition isn't the best in the A-10 (unless the perspective recruit (s) want to be "big fish in small pond"  On the plus side IMMEDIATE PLAYING TIME SHOULD BE AVAILABLE to those good enough!!

3/11/2019 6:03 pm  #5

Being out of town, I missed the news about the Palumbo being torn down for a new facility.  Alex P. (Duquesne's play by play announcer), gave me the news on a FB exchange.

Anyone know the reason?  What is this new facility going to look like?  

3/12/2019 5:55 pm  #6

To Sperlman:

It is not tearing down the Palumbo.  Rather it is taking a basketball facility and   enlarging it into a major covered all-sports complex.  You can go on line to Duquesne University and keep Googling until you find the UPMC Cooper Complex.  All the glorious details will be in front of you.  It is a $45-50 million project..  It is impressive, to say the least.

3/12/2019 7:18 pm  #7

Interesting.  Wonder why play by play announcer Alex P. said the Palumbo will be no more.  I will check the details. Thanks.

3/14/2019 10:55 am  #8

sperlman wrote:

Interesting.  Wonder why play by play announcer Alex P. said the Palumbo will be no more.  I will check the details. Thanks.

Because the name is gone, well, in most part, because it will be known as the Cooper Fieldhouse.
And it wont look anything like it does now.

3/19/2019 9:52 am  #9

Team did not get a WNIT bid - while not completely unexpected the fact that last year's team had 23 wins going in and was "rewarded" with three trips on the road - wasn't too hopeful that this year's team with 19 wins would get a bid -  VCU and Dayton did get bids - both open on the road - and while the ladies did beat both of them - Have to admit their overall body of work was better.

Given that 5,000 plus points and 2,000 plus rebounds is walking out the door - looks like the coaching staff has some extensive work to do.

TOUGH to rely on incoming freshmen - coaches say "The Best Thing about Freshmen is they become sophomores"   At least this years class has more size than in the past.   Libby is an EXCELLENT player - did a lot of the ball handling - got more rebounds than a player of her size had any business getting. When inserted in the line up Halle did a nice job on the boards (despite being a little under sized at 5-11 she was usually giving away a couple of inches to the player she was guarding)  Amanda at times was fearless in driving to the hoop and trying to draw fouls -  Paige provided some offense - but like Halle all too often was up against bigger and stronger opponents - (and subject to way too many blocking/illegal screen fouls) Don't know if the minutes or the lack of them  Angie and Laia received were a result of only so many minutes available or the Coaching Staff's lack of confidence in them on a consistent basis -  NEED better defense from someone that big - even if it is just blocking out --  Szmoza while not overly athletic - somehow managed to do a much better job at rebounding, drawing charges etc. than these two. And she was a decent three point shooter as well 

Hopefully Nina is 100% healthy - think she will be a solid contributor if/when this happens -  Elliott showed a nice form at times -  maybe with some additional strength she can be a contributor as well -  Have no idea what to expect from her younger sister.  Could be kind of tough playing two guards who might be slightly undersized together (Libby and Amanda) but need to put the BEST players on the floor as much as possible.

Fordham and VCU relied more on defense than offense -  while the team had shooters like Chassidy, Julianna, and Kadri Ann - can't blame the staff for preferring offense - with them gone - perhaps the emphasis will shift to defense -  Fordham  was slightly more athletic  than DU but not really THAT much - take away Cavanaugh's athleticism and I'd even give DU the edge  - VCU had a good deal more size -  Perhaps next year the team can win with defense - be it zone, man-to-man or a mixture of the two. 

Doesn't help that they probably won't have any real home court advantage - but the fact that somehow the team has had the success they've had does give me some optimism for 2019-2020.

3/19/2019 11:49 am  #10

Some good points raised by Skeptical on where the Dukes go in 2019-2020.

My assessment of the returning squad- Libby should continue to improve.  Like her aggressiveness as a point guard. Probably will take leadership of the team, along with Canon. Hopefully she will look more to her teammates in making assists.  Halle will continue to be a solid defender. In terms of development, she needs to add a little more offense to her game- so she can become a double-threat.  Angie and Laia will be competent (though unspectacular), posts.  Totally agree with Skeptical that they must become better defenders and minimize fouling.  Canon will probably be called upon to take up some of the scoring drop-off from the graduating seniors.  She is a solid player who does what needs to be done.

I will probably get some push-back on this, but I don't see the current squad as a top tier A-10 contender.  Dayton and VCU will both improve.  Fordham is always tough and GW will get stronger with the acquisition of 6'2 Jillian Archer, a sophomore transfer from my alma mater, USC (though she sits for a year).

As for the freshmen, recently learned that Dan plans to redshirt Bernada Rreshpja, the 5'10 player from Albania who played HS ball out in California. I saw Bernada play one game.  She's raw with great potential.  Already has NBA 3-point range (which the Dukes could use next season), but Dan wants her to lift, get stronger, and get used to Div. 1 college competition-which she can acquire in practice.

With 6'4 Snezhe Serofimoska also redshirting, that leaves 6'2 Amaya Hamilton and 6'3 Precious Johnson as the only confirmed newcomers to the squad.  Don't know much about Hamilton (Dan calls her "a winner"), but my take on Johnson is- a big, strong body, not much of a scoring threat currently, but should be a solid defender and rebounder- backing up SkepticAl's point.

With so much offense lost, don't know where the scoring is going to come from. IF that extra scholarship is indeed available, sure hope Dan can nab a strong, athletic JC guard who can come in and provide instant offense.

3/31/2019 1:43 pm  #11

Laughable that the Dayton women would get an NIT bid.  The Dukes punished them twice; and they were nowhere near as good as Duquesne.  I can see VCU; but Dayton was just living off their past success.

3/31/2019 2:51 pm  #12

It will be an interesting year for the Dukes next season; losing so many scorers who were the face of the program and thrived in the style of play that Dan liked to play.  Who provides the points?  Libby made a lot of progress this year; and will run the show next year.  She has a nice shot and should be looking to take more shots next season.  I don’t see any other proven scorers at the guard position.  Bovell and Kalin are hustle players who haven’t shown the ability to shoot the ball with any consistency to this point.  We have no idea what Aho can do; or, if she will ever be healthy.  Simmons had no chance to see the court last year, so she is another unknown.  The Elliot sisters may be able to shoot it; but haven’t seen enough in competitive situations. 
As for the “bigs” we don’t have a lot of depth.  Angela can score, but hasn’t been able to stay healthy and at this point probably can’t play big minutes.  Sole’ would be the logical candidate to step in for Lass at the 5-spot.  She got only spot duty last season, so we don’t know how many minutes she can play.  Cannon is a veteran who can eat some minutes; but will need to be able to stay out of foul trouble and finish her opportunities close to the rim.  At 6’-1” she is often playing against taller players.  Samson is 6’-2” but has seen little action so far in her career; so we can’t expect too much at this point. 
Beyond that we have only the incoming recruits, and it looks like a couple may be redshirted; another is thought to have limited scoring ability.  In general it doesn’t look like we have any instant contributors in the class.  I don’t have any information on recruiting but I’m a little concerned that we aren’t involved with the type of player we need to continue to grow the program and be a leader in the A-10.  So it will be a challenge to regain momentum next season. 
These are just the comments of a follower of the program with no inside information; so I understand that others on the board may be able to provide more clarity on some issues.

4/01/2019 1:41 pm  #13

Like you, Levon, I have no inside information but watch all the games both live and on ESPN+. I agree that this team will be somewhat of a mystery next year. Libby definitely will be solid and should lead the team. I expect Nina to be the top scorer due to the fact that she can shoot and get to the hoop. She must remain healthy. For Amanda to be a key contributor, her offensive game must become more developed with a better outside shot and stronger drives to the hoop. She plays great defense. All around shooting will be a question mark, but that was a problem this year as well. Yet, Dan won 19 games, so maybe it isn’t a huge worry.

We definitely are small inside with Halle, Paige, Angela and Laia. I wonder if Dan would consider playing three bigger players since he has Annie-Pier coming back and Amaya Hamilton coming in. Both are 6’2” tall and can hit three pointers. Since almost all A10 teams play three guards, this might give an advantage to the Dukes. As an example, say a lineup of Libby, Nina (Amanda), A.P. (Amaya), Laia (Angela), and Halle (Paige).
Defensively, this type of team also could play a bigger zone - maybe even a 1-3-1 half court trap zone.

I think Coach has two more scholarships to give. Size and a real knock down shooter would be nice additions. I am hoping that Carla Johnson (Clairton dad and Sweden) will provide size. Maybe Berenada Rreshpa will be ready as a shooter.

I am looking forward to next year because we simply don’t know what to expect. But, I believe in Dan Burt. It should be exciting to see how our unknowns unfold.

4/01/2019 3:26 pm  #14

AGREE with the recent posts -  Seems to be a general consensus -  

With Two Scholarships available   I understand it is probably difficult to get in the hunt this late on a quality player -  Am HOPING there is ONE player out there who can help them-  Perhaps there is a Graduate Transfer out there (George Mason Hit the Jackpot there in the 2017-2018 season)  Or a JUCO or perhaps someone who signed with another school and could be requesting a release due to something like a coaching change.  The one player could be either someone who can provide inside defense/rebounding OR scoring -  (Could be difficult to get both at this point) -  DON'T expect two signings just to fill the quota -  Might as well hold one in Reserve and make her part of the 2020-2021 class if the right fit is not out there.  Fordham and VCU won more with defense than scoring -  Defense CAN be taught - 

Julianna contributed very little as a freshman due to the players in front of her -  While not expecting All-League Honors perhaps with additional playing time some of the ladies given the additional playing time will be more productive than we expect.

Finally team needs SOME LUCK --  I understand injuries are part of the game -  But who is to say that if Connor and Nina had been healthy throughout the season -  We would be talking about ANOTHER DU team coming off the post-season -  

4/02/2019 2:33 pm  #15

Good points by all.

As stated earlier, I don't see the current returning squad having the sufficient talent level capable of propelling Duquesne back into the NCAA.

What makes recruiting interesting, however, is you never know for sure how players will develop once they get to college. Some may come in (fairly developed), but they reach a plateau.  Others are like sleepers.  They're not on anyone's radar, but they develop and become huge talents.   Although the 5'10 Bernada Rreshpja will be redshirted next season, Dan calls her a special player.  Same with 6'4 Snezhe Serofimoska.  I bring up these two because they remind me in some ways of two mid-major players I was fortunate to see a number of times who became stars.

Rreshpia reminds me of a very raw Shaylee Gonzales of BYU, who led the team in scoring and was Freshman of the Year in the West Coast Conference.  Serofimoska reminds me a little of 6'4 Morgan Bertsch of UC Davis, when she started out- awkward, but had some moves. She was a 'nothing' player for a while, but all she did in her senior year was average 23.5 points a game (she will play at the next level), and she outplayed Stanford's All-American Alanna Smith in their NCAA First Round game a few weeks ago.  Dan said if Serofimoska gets strong, she has a huge upside.  

If Rreshpia and/or Serofimoska are indeed sleepers, then you are probably looking at the 2020-2021 season to where Duquesne may have a legit shot at returning to the NCAA because the coaching staff is already high on two 6'3 players who have given verbals to the University and hopefully will be signed this coming Fall.

Of course, you already have the two recruits who Dan will play in 2019-2020 (6'2 Amaya Hamilton and 6'3 Prescious Johnson), 

You never know.

Board footera