Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/16/2019 8:42 am  #26

Re: My thoughts

HookShot I thought the same thing about the zone defense by URI & SLU after watching the games yesterday.  Even the Davidson coach said the key to him beating SJU was the switch to zone for a while to throw them of their rhythm.  I know KD does not like playing zone but looking at the players we have (height and length) there is no reason why we can't be able to play a zone effectively to mix things up.  KD has been successful and knows what he is doing, but for me I don't like the "one size fits all" approach to defense.

Two other comments, Frankie Hughes right now is a one dimensional player. He is terrific, and game changing, when he can hit his three point shots, however, he could be so much better, and more complete player, if he used his size and athletic ability to drive the ball.  I hope he works on that this summer.     
The other comment is the Dukes need to go back and work on the basics this summer.  The little things that help win games....boxing out on rebounds, setting screens without fouling, closing out with your hands up.  

3/16/2019 9:05 am  #27

MY thoughts :  As numerous coaches have said "The Best Thing about Freshmen is they become Sophomores"   Curry is OBVIOUSLY CASE A -  just hope he shows some progress -  Norman is case B - while his playing time was limited until the last few games - he DID show the ability to contribute consistently on the A-10 level.  Don't know what to expect from the two bigs who were injured as to how quickly they can return.  Will give Wade a pass -  He may have been signed originally to be a SIXTH guard (behind Curry, Lewis, F.Hughes, Norman, Dunn (don't know if Randall could have played guard) Wonder what OTHER programs think about THEIR "SIXTH GUARD" - Bizeau's time was too limited to form any type of judgement.

One point that NEVER gets made about the ones who sat out last year (Hughes, Weathers, Dunn, Hughes) is that they were PHYSICALLY JUNIORS - and as far as developing etc.  they were physically two years ahead of the freshmen.  Despite the ups and downs of Frankie and Dunn all four are capable of contributing at the A-10 Level (But please be INSIDE the BUILDING before launching some of those threes)

Am not completely sold on the one sitting out from Westinghouse - while you can't "teach 6-11 245" the competition he played against was quite weak -  don't know about Swingale either but the main thing is they don't have to be "piano players" they can be "piano carriers" in hopefully just giving solid minutes etc.

And Despite the Ups and Downs -  Eric is a KEEPER

To me the one "Elephant in the Room" is playing all home games at PPG -  team never seems to shoot well there - don't know if it is playing mostly better teams there - or background/lighting/ not playing where you practice -  team had an Excellent record at Palumbo - could be a folly to assume next year's home record might be similar.

Finally WOULD like to see them accept a CBI/CI tourney - Coach says that's not about HIM - maybe it IS about the players - realize someone could get hurt but would like to see some of the players get more of a chance to play together.  Especially with barring transfers (and I figure some will leave) Everyone is back.

3/16/2019 11:44 am  #28

SkepticAl wrote:

MY thoughts :  As numerous coaches have said "The Best Thing about Freshmen is they become Sophomores"   Curry is OBVIOUSLY CASE A -  just hope he shows some progress -  Norman is case B - while his playing time was limited until the last few games - he DID show the ability to contribute consistently on the A-10 level.  Don't know what to expect from the two bigs who were injured as to how quickly they can return.  Will give Wade a pass -  He may have been signed originally to be a SIXTH guard (behind Curry, Lewis, F.Hughes, Norman, Dunn (don't know if Randall could have played guard) Wonder what OTHER programs think about THEIR "SIXTH GUARD" - Bizeau's time was too limited to form any type of judgement.

One point that NEVER gets made about the ones who sat out last year (Hughes, Weathers, Dunn, Hughes) is that they were PHYSICALLY JUNIORS - and as far as developing etc.  they were physically two years ahead of the freshmen.  Despite the ups and downs of Frankie and Dunn all four are capable of contributing at the A-10 Level (But please be INSIDE the BUILDING before launching some of those threes)

Am not completely sold on the one sitting out from Westinghouse - while you can't "teach 6-11 245" the competition he played against was quite weak -  don't know about Swingale either but the main thing is they don't have to be "piano players" they can be "piano carriers" in hopefully just giving solid minutes etc.

And Despite the Ups and Downs -  Eric is a KEEPER

To me the one "Elephant in the Room" is playing all home games at PPG -  team never seems to shoot well there - don't know if it is playing mostly better teams there - or background/lighting/ not playing where you practice -  team had an Excellent record at Palumbo - could be a folly to assume next year's home record might be similar.

Finally WOULD like to see them accept a CBI/CI tourney - Coach says that's not about HIM - maybe it IS about the players - realize someone could get hurt but would like to see some of the players get more of a chance to play together.  Especially with barring transfers (and I figure some will leave) Everyone is back.

Wade wasn't signed to be a sixth guard, he was signed to be the starter. That changed when Carry fell into our lap. Wade was supposed to be a player capable of being a starting pg in the A10. He struggled mightily, don't know if he was overrated, or just has had trouble adjusting to playing against better players. I've seen guys who looked awful early develop into good players, so I can't say it won't happen for him, but he's going to have to work hard at his game, whether it's here, or somewhere else.

3/16/2019 1:47 pm  #29

My sentiments exactly 81' and when watching several other freshman PG in the league, including SC, you can see the level that Wade needed to measure up to.  If KD was satisfied why would they purportedly be recruiting the Evan kid from Virginia?

3/16/2019 4:57 pm  #30

Pistol you nailed it again. If you want to get better don’t sit back & hope a player develops. Move on for both the player & coach. Perhaps a 5th year transfer to fit in with a solid base.maintaing the current roster is insane. Always strive to improve the program & yes everyone can’t be happy.

Board footera