Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/21/2019 5:55 pm  #1

2019 - 2020 OOC Schedule

PITTSBURGH – Duquesne University and the University of Pittsburgh have reached an agreement in principle to resume the City Game series in 2020 after a one-year hiatus, as announced jointly by the two institutions Thursday.

"We are pleased to work with the University of Pittsburgh and our valued partners at PPG Paints Arena to continue the City Game in 2020 and 2021," said Duquesne Director of Athletics Dave Harper. "The very title 'City Game' is profound. This is a game for the city of Pittsburgh and its sports fans. It is an event circled on calendars each year. Duquesne is fully committed to participating in this game long term and honored to be part of this event for the city. We look forward to building the stature of the game and continuing to intensify the game as both programs continue on an upward trajectory."

Duquesne, coming off a 19-13 season which saw it tie the school record for Atlantic 10 wins (10-8), is scheduled to appear in the Junkanoo Jam in Bimini, Bahamas on Nov. 21-24, the St. Pete Shootout in St. Petersburg, Fla. on Dec. 21 & 22 and the Cleveland Classic on Dec. 29 as part of the 2019-20 non-conference schedule.

DU announced plans for a comprehensive renovation of the Palumbo Center in October. Set to break ground this month, the modernized and re-imagined facility will be named UPMC Cooper Fieldhouse in honor of men's basketball legend and NBA trailblazer Chuck Cooper, who captained Duquesne's men's basketball team before going on to become the first African-American to be drafted into the NBA in 1950.

The 2018-19 Dukes closed the Palumbo Center in style with a facility record 14 wins. Duquesne's 27 home victories under second-year head coach Keith Dambrot are the most in back-to-back seasons since 1972 and 1973.

Phase I of the renovation project is targeted for completion prior to the 2020-21 athletics season.

3/21/2019 6:34 pm  #2

Re: 2019 - 2020 OOC Schedule

Trying to talk the wife into a trip to the Bahamas.

3/21/2019 6:42 pm  #3

Hopefully there are some decent teams in these events. Each event having a team or two ranked somewhere between 51 and 100 would work.

3/21/2019 7:16 pm  #4

duq81 wrote:

Hopefully there are some decent teams in these events. Each event having a team or two ranked somewhere between 51 and 100 would work.

Liberty was in the St Pete Shootout last year.  NET Ranking was 58.  The bahamas tournament has seen weak teams and usually 1 top 100 team or so. 

Who knows from there.  Can you play 13 OOC games?  We had that this year but had that exempt tournament.  In any event, the Bahamas thing is 3 games, St Pete is 2, Cleveland is 1, @Marshall is 1.  Hopefully we can have a few home games in the OOC. 

3/22/2019 9:35 pm  #5

Couldn't find this years field at bimini. The 2018 teams were San Jose St.,Weber St., C. Mich., Cal St. Bakersfield, UMBC, High Point, Air Force, and So. Dakota. We should be able to compete with a similar field this coming season.

3/23/2019 8:05 am  #6

WashPaRick wrote:

Couldn't find this years field at bimini. The 2018 teams were San Jose St.,Weber St., C. Mich., Cal St. Bakersfield, UMBC, High Point, Air Force, and So. Dakota. We should be able to compete with a similar field this coming season.

Doesn't look like the type of field that will help your sos any. We're kind of walking a fine line here. You don't want to overschedule, and ruin your chances of winning. On the other hand, if you think you have a team that can at least reach the NIT level, you have to have some good teams on your schedule, and you have to eliminate the horrible teams.

3/23/2019 8:10 am  #7

Is this set in stone?  Bahamas and St Pete?  Also, can someone explain the reference to Cleveland?[b][b]Who knows from there.  Can you play 13 OOC games?  We had that this year but had that exempt tournament.  In any event, the Bahamas thing is 3 games, St Pete is 2, Cleveland is 1, @Marshall is 1.  Hopefully we can have a few home games in the OOC. [/b][/b]

Last edited by 09dukes (3/23/2019 8:11 am)

3/23/2019 8:12 am  #8

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

Doesn't look like the type of field that will help your sos any. We're kind of walking a fine line here. You don't want to overschedule, and ruin your chances of winning. On the other hand, if you think you have a team that can at least reach the NIT level, you have to have some good teams on your schedule, and you have to eliminate the horrible teams.

I’m assuming there will probably be a couple P5 straight road games on the schedule. I don’t mind playing in a mid major tournament and trying to collect three wins over a long weekend.

3/23/2019 8:17 am  #9

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

WashPaRick wrote:

I’m assuming there will probably be a couple P5 straight road games on the schedule. I don’t mind playing in a mid major tournament and trying to collect three wins over a long weekend.

You damn well better win though. If you lose the first game, you end up playing the dregs in the consolation bracket, which could do fatal damage to your sos.

3/23/2019 10:26 am  #10

duq81 wrote:

Dukes2012 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

You damn well better win though. If you lose the first game, you end up playing the dregs in the consolation bracket, which could do fatal damage to your sos.

This isn't true of the Junkanoo Jam.  There is no "bracket".  It's a round-robin format where you play 3 games against the other 3 teams. 

3/23/2019 10:53 am  #11

According to Blogging the Bracket, Ohio State vs. West Virginia is one of the games in the Cleveland Showcase. So if we're in the other game, I suspect it's a regional opponent. Xavier or Cincinnati would be awesome, but I'm thinking it's more likely we'd get paired up with a MAC or Horizon team as the warmup to the OSU-WVU main event. 

3/23/2019 11:07 am  #12

DennisC91 wrote:

According to Blogging the Bracket, Ohio State vs. West Virginia is one of the games in the Cleveland Showcase. So if we're in the other game, I suspect it's a regional opponent. Xavier or Cincinnati would be awesome, but I'm thinking it's more likely we'd get paired up with a MAC or Horizon team as the warmup to the OSU-WVU main event. 

You'd think Cleveland St.

3/23/2019 11:07 am  #13

DennisC91 wrote:

Per Dave Harper above, the Cleveland event we are playing in is December 29th.  This event you listed is on Dec 22nd.  Maybe the dates are crossed up or perhaps they are different events?

3/23/2019 11:31 am  #14

WEB wrote:

Per Dave Harper above, the Cleveland event we are playing in is December 29th.  This event you listed is on Dec 22nd.  Maybe the dates are crossed up or perhaps they are different events?

Hey WEB,  per the original Jon Rothstein tweet that informed the Blogging the Brackets post, the event is December 29th. There's even speculation on Rothstein's tweet about Cleveland State playing a "decent mid-major" as the warmup.

3/23/2019 11:51 am  #15

DennisC91 wrote:

WEB wrote:

Hey WEB,  per the original Jon Rothstein tweet that informed the Blogging the Brackets post, the event is December 29th. There's even speculation on Rothstein's tweet about Cleveland State playing a "decent mid-major" as the warmup.

Thanks for the update. 

3/23/2019 12:25 pm  #16

With 12/29 being a Sunday and my brother and sister-in-law being WVU and OSU alums, respectively, perhaps a road trip with them to Cleveland will be in order in lieu of a trip to visit them at their home outside of Marrietta.  There's a good chance the wee one could agree, but mrs. wee one I'm not so sure.

6/20/2019 10:01 am  #17

Confirmed: Marshall at the Q on the 29th. It's actually the 2nd game of the Doubleheader that day

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

6/20/2019 11:43 am  #18

Not a bad time for a road trip to the mistake on the lake.   

6/21/2019 6:49 am  #19

7/31/2019 6:07 pm  #20

Duquesne will play Columbia at home on December 9th (per Columbia's schedule)

7/31/2019 9:00 pm  #21

I see the schedule indicates the game is at Palumbo.  Oh well.

7/31/2019 9:47 pm  #22

Junkanoo Bahamas schedule for DU is as follows :

11/21  Indiana State
11/22  Air Force
11/24  Loyola Marymount

On a semi-related note the women's team will be tangling with the Oklahoma State Cowgirls on December 30,2019 in lovely Stillwater Oklahoma

8/02/2019 12:04 pm  #23

New non-conference game to report, Dukes to host VMI December 4. Source: http://www.vmikeydets.com/SportSelect.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=9800&SPID=3897&SPSID=43815

8/02/2019 12:13 pm  #24

So here's the non-conf schedule to this point:

Nov. 21: vs Indiana State in Junkanoo Jam
Nov. 22: vs. Air Force in Junkanoo Jam
Nov. 24: vs. Loyola Marymount in Junkanoo Jam
Dec. 4: vs. VMI
Dec. 9: vs. Columbia
Dec. 21-22: St. Pete Shootout, still no opponents announced
Dec. 29: vs. Marshall in Cleveland

Anywhere from 1-5 slots still to be filled. 

8/02/2019 3:26 pm  #25

I would limit home games due to the cost of Mario’s palace. Save the money. Hit some near buy road games which you can win.. Home & Home contract. For example...William & Mary new AD fired coach. Majority of starters transferred. Knight W&M center remains but Dukes should win. 6 hour bus ride. Maybe schedule power mid major or even power 5 school for home & Home contract. No need to have 500 people at PPG FOR Columbia. Money loser on the rent.

Board footera