Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/02/2019 9:09 am  #1

All Quiet on the Western Front?

Getting a bit antsy about what may going on behind closed doors with transfers and recruiting.  With what we do know on that subject it would be very surprising to me if the status quo is maintained going into next year.  Simply put, we need more talent and my primary concern is depth at the PG given SC's knee issues.  Secondarily, I'd like to see a true scoring forward/wing (6'7" or so) added to the mix who can beat you off the dribble and shoot the 3 to compliment EW.  Anyone with any scoop or rumors? 

4/02/2019 9:57 am  #2

Re: All Quiet on the Western Front?

The Utomi kid from Akron can shoot it.
Saw him play at Kent State last month.
He would be a nice addition.

"Facts are stubborn things."
                                 John Adams

4/02/2019 10:15 am  #3

Ghost of Walter White wrote:

The Utomi kid from Akron can shoot it.
Saw him play at Kent State last month.
He would be a nice addition.

He has big time interest, but maybe KD can work some magic.

4/02/2019 1:56 pm  #4

MikeR I hope KD can get this kid, maybe having recruited him at Akron will help - who knows, maybe he was upset KD left.  Anyway, we can't stand still, we need to improve on what we have and I am not going along with the young team argument.  Sure we were very young, but talent is talent and you could see where we need help.  I am sure KD sees it as well.  Signing period begins on April 15th I believe so it is going to be an interesting month - at least I hope so.

4/02/2019 2:30 pm  #5

PistolPete wrote:

MikeR I hope KD can get this kid, maybe having recruited him at Akron will help - who knows, maybe he was upset KD left.  Anyway, we can't stand still, we need to improve on what we have and I am not going along with the young team argument.  Sure we were very young, but talent is talent and you could see where we need help.  I am sure KD sees it as well.  Signing period begins on April 15th I believe so it is going to be an interesting month - at least I hope so.

The "we're young" excuse will no longer fly next year. This will be a veteran team. TDM, Mike Hughes, Frank Hughes, and Marcus Weathers will be 4th year juniors. I won't accept hearing them described as kids, grown men is what they'll be. Eric will be in his third year as a starter. Sincere will be a sophomore, but one with a year as a heavily used starter under his belt. Will there be a young player or two in the mix, of course, but pretty much every team has that. Bottom line, if this team struggles next year, youth will not be an acceptable excuse.

4/02/2019 5:39 pm  #6

Wow Duq 81 take no prisoners if KD fails as per your expectations. Do we really need to run out a good coach. Sorry Ron Everhart scenario Duquesne can not afford. This guy with the current AD & President is the key to a successful program.Tired of Collery & Amodio failures. Go Dukes

4/02/2019 6:59 pm  #7

Ironduke81 wrote:

Wow Duq 81 take no prisoners if KD fails as per your expectations. Do we really need to run out a good coach. Sorry Ron Everhart scenario Duquesne can not afford. This guy with the current AD & President is the key to a successful program.Tired of Collery & Amodio failures. Go Dukes

Who's running out the coach? KD has higher expectations than all of us. I'm glad he's the coach, and not some of the pansy fans on this board who would be happy with 16-16, and a CBI bid every year for eternity. The fact is, the team won't be young next season like it was this year. Doesn't mean that injuries or something else can't derail them, but if they struggle, youth won't be the reason.

4/03/2019 8:32 am  #8

Duq81, your post confused me also.  Your comment that: The "we're young" excuse will no longer fly next year. sounded like you were accusing KD of making excuses, as if this year was a failure.  I don't think you meant that.  The Dukes were one of the most young and inexperienced teams in D1 this year, that is a fact and not an excuse.  What KD did in finishing tied for 6th and not 11th as predicted was appreciated by most fans.   

Last edited by CLK (4/03/2019 8:33 am)

4/03/2019 8:56 am  #9

CLK wrote:

Duq81, your post confused me also.  Your comment that: The "we're young" excuse will no longer fly next year. sounded like you were accusing KD of making excuses, as if this year was a failure.  I don't think you meant that.  The Dukes were one of the most young and inexperienced teams in D1 this year, that is a fact and not an excuse.  What KD did in finishing tied for 6th and not 11th as predicted was appreciated by most fans.   

KD wasn't the one making the excuses, the posters were. Some posters look for excuses for failure, fortunately, KD doesn't. KD isn't big on making excuses. That said, it was a legit excuse. We were very young this year. One of the reasons you play a young team and take your lumps, is that that team then becomes a veteran team with tons of experience. That said, with this year under our belt, we will no longer be a super young team. We won't be the most veteran team around, but our major pieces will all be experienced, thus, any struggles we might have won't be because we're so young. In 20-21, we should be one of the most experienced teams in the country. If we stay healthy, and don't have any unforeseen disasters (this is Duquesne after all), we should hear our name called on Selection Sunday.

By the way, the team wasn't a failure this year. 10-8 in league play was a definite step forward. Of course, most of us always hope for a bit more. The NIT would be a great result next year, but that doesn't mean we can't dream about a true breakthrough season.

4/03/2019 9:53 am  #10

Signing period begins April 17th, 14 days and counting and so far quiet as a church mouse regarding any movement.

4/03/2019 12:07 pm  #11

I’m looking to bypass the NIT and go straight to the NCAA.

4/03/2019 2:56 pm  #12

levon1975 wrote:

You and me both brother! That said, an NIT bid would still show progress, so I wouldn't be upset if that's where we land.

4/03/2019 6:49 pm  #13

I

duq81 wrote:

levon1975 wrote:

You and me both brother! That said, an NIT bid would still show progress, so I wouldn't be upset if that's where we land.

Duq81 now that’s the ticket I like your rationale & positive comments. If although highly unlikely KD fails no doubt due to the curse of Dudley More😂the program is over. Go Dukes

4/03/2019 9:01 pm  #14

Dudley Moore?  You mean that little British actor who played Arthur put a curse on the Dukes?

4/04/2019 8:38 am  #15

Tongue & cheek my friend. You do know there is no such thing as curses. Especially at Duquesne. After all ESPN just did a blog on the 10 worse head coaching hires the last decade. Duquesne unlike Pitt did not  make the list. However maybe due to the irrelevance of this program thanks to the lack of support from the top as well as incompetence of former ADs & Presidents Duquesne not worth a mention. I was told be a good source Dudey not Dudley the actor was upset with the Spiritans who had enough with program supporters which had a pipeline to NY kids usually African Americans & Jewish kids. Remember the Jim Crow laws which benefited a northern Catholic school like Duquesne in regard to recruiting. Clearly no curse....Scott Edgar, Danny Née, Darrell Porter, Jim Ferry Brian Colleary & yes the Quinnipiac Clown. 🤔🤔🤔

4/04/2019 10:35 am  #16

13 days and counting..................

4/04/2019 11:22 am  #17

Ironduke81 wrote:

Tongue & cheek my friend. You do know there is no such thing as curses. Especially at Duquesne. After all ESPN just did a blog on the 10 worse head coaching hires the last decade. Duquesne unlike Pitt did not make the list. However maybe due to the irrelevance of this program thanks to the lack of support from the top as well as incompetence of former ADs & Presidents Duquesne not worth a mention. I was told be a good source Dudey not Dudley the actor was upset with the Spiritans who had enough with program supporters which had a pipeline to NY kids usually African Americans & Jewish kids. Remember the Jim Crow laws which benefited a northern Catholic school like Duquesne in regard to recruiting. Clearly no curse....Scott Edgar, Danny Née, Darrell Porter, Jim Ferry Brian Colleary & yes the Quinnipiac Clown. 🤔🤔🤔

Duquesne could have continued landing the cream of the crop from NYC, but they didn't want to be seen as a basketball school. Kind of reminds me of how Pitt dismantled a top 5 football program in the late 30s for similar reasons. Maybe it's a Pittsburgh thing?

4/04/2019 12:02 pm  #18

Pitt has had two guys announce a transfer in the last two days, so we will prob hear on our end relatively soon if anyone decides to jump ship.

My primary candidate would have been Norman with the lack of play time earlier in year despite flashes showing he may be the best 2 guard currently on the roster, coupled with him/his fathers public shows of unhappiness on Twitter. That all seems to have changed with him breaking into the starting lineup and getting much more pt at the end of the season (still don’t get why this didn’t happen more all year).

Can’t see Rotroff, Swingle, or Kelly leaving from the category of guys who didn’t play/had limited minutes. I would think the three most likely to go would be Wade, Bizeau, and Id give an outside chance to Frankie leaving given his commitment history (Louisville, Missouri, Us and was only a Soph. last year) and the fact that he seemingly lost his starting spot after having had to earn it earlier in the year, but that would still surprise me.

I hope posters don’t jump down my throat over this note, just my general opinion as to who could potentially leave. Only saying this because mathematically one guy has to go, and we are still recruiting 2019 which would be a complete waste of time unless there was a possibility of an additional spot opening up.

Don’t expect any of the major contributors to go except maybe Frankie based on what I stated above.

4/04/2019 12:16 pm  #19

Is there a way Ellis is on the team next season and not on "scholarship"?  I say that only because he had to sit out this year.  Does that leave any doors open in those regards? 

Last edited by townsonkid (4/04/2019 1:06 pm)

4/04/2019 12:45 pm  #20

102 you hit the proverbial nail on the head, time will tell if you/we are right.

4/04/2019 3:28 pm  #21

townsonkid wrote:

Is there a way Ellis is on the team next season and not on "scholarship"?  I say that only because he had to sit out this year.  Does that leave any doors open in those regards? 

I would be absolutely shocked if he was expected to “pay his own way” for another year. They probably found a way to make academic scholarship money work for this year but they need to get him on scholarship for him to stay here, just a guess.

Duquesne tuition is like $35k/yr at this point.

4/04/2019 7:09 pm  #22

Duques102 wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

I would be absolutely shocked if he was expected to “pay his own way” for another year. They probably found a way to make academic scholarship money work for this year but they need to get him on scholarship for him to stay here, just a guess.

Duquesne tuition is like $35k/yr at this point.

If I remember correctly, they told him that if he took care of business in the classroom, he'd be on scholarship the following year. If they reneged on this, I'd expect him to be out the door, as there would be interest in him from other schools. Such a move would also likely earn KD some local enemies in the press, as well as among local high school coaches, and AAU types. As they say, you don't $**t where you eat.

4/05/2019 8:28 am  #23

I didnt mean to bring up him not being on the team topic.  With everyone in the country it seems either declaring for draft or transferring by now, and no one leaving our program yet, I am just curious what the backup plan is if no one does leave, we'd be a +1 scholarship wise.  I have no reason to believe KD will not follow thru on everything he promised Ellis.  
I assume the likelihood of someone leaving it still high, but maybe everyone is happy at DU???

4/05/2019 8:34 am  #24

Duques102 wrote:

...Id give an outside chance to Frankie leaving given his commitment history (Louisville, Missouri, Us and was only a Soph. last year) and the fact that he seemingly lost his starting spot after having had to earn it earlier in the year, but that would still surprise me.

I hope posters don’t jump down my throat over this note, just my general opinion as to who could potentially leave. Only saying this because mathematically one guy has to go, and we are still recruiting 2019 which would be a complete waste of time unless there was a possibility of an additional spot opening up.

Don’t expect any of the major contributors to go except maybe Frankie based on what I stated above.

Not jumping down your throat at all, 102, but it's unlikely Frankie Hughes transfers this year as doing so would effectively cost him a year of eligibility. You only get five years to play your four years of NCAA eligibility and Frankie's already used 3 to play 2. If he transfers now, he'll sit out next year and then have one year left at his new school. So makes little sense for him to leave--voluntarily--especially as he'll be free to transfer out as a grad transfer after the 2019-20 season then play somewhere else the following year. For the same reason, Mike Hughes, TDM, Weathers and Swingle should all be back for next year as well. Hard to see Carry, Kelly or Rotroff going anywhere right now given their health issues. Don't really care to speculate on the rest, but the fact that nothing's been announced yet makes me thing that no one else really wants to leave and if anyone does it will be more the case that he was asked to. The coaching staff could be working behind the scenes to ensure a soft landing for said player(s) somewhere else, who knows.

4/05/2019 9:58 am  #25

Dennis, I was thinking the same thing about the guys that already transferred.  I don't see anything happening there.  You do bring up a good point about "soft landing" as I think KD and staff would want to help anyone find a better situation that either wanted to go voluntarily or was advised that it may be in their best interest to do so.  12 days and counting, we'll just have to wait and see.

Board footera