Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/05/2019 7:14 pm  #1

4/05/2019 9:09 pm  #2

Re: Chuck Cooper - Naismith Hall of Famer

Congrats to Chuck and his family.  Great news and DU should really light up the city when the Coop opens in a couple years, what a great man and accomplishment to honor.   Seriously, light up the damn sky in red, white and blue above campus, yinzers love them fireworks.  Announce it, promote it, sell out the arena.   
I'm 46 with no promo/advertising background and with minimal $ I would make campus look like Point Park on the 4th of July.
DO SOMETHING SPECIAL DU!!!!!

4/06/2019 7:12 am  #3

Well earned and long deserved recognition!  Not just for Duquesne or college basketball but for American History.

Hopefully there is an appropriate historical marker or bust/statue of him at the Coop!  Time to start designing it now!

From the NBA website-

https://www.nba.com/history/top-moments/1950-nba-pioneers

Last edited by coffee (4/06/2019 7:38 am)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

4/06/2019 6:15 pm  #4

Watched the CBS pregame with Clark, Kenny, Charles & the white guy don’t know his name. They briefly discussed the new inductees into the hall of fame. The majority of players were discussed by the group. Posted the list of names on the screen. No specific mention of Chuck Cooper by the 3.  Typical Duquesne gets no love you would think a mention especially with the first African American drafted into the NBA. Bummer😪

4/06/2019 7:49 pm  #5

Unfortunately we are obscure due to almost 45 years of being, for the most part terrible. That being said, im with u

4/07/2019 7:52 am  #6

townsonkid wrote:

Congrats to Chuck and his family.  Great news and DU should really light up the city when the Coop opens in a couple years, what a great man and accomplishment to honor.   Seriously, light up the damn sky in red, white and blue above campus, yinzers love them fireworks.  Announce it, promote it, sell out the arena.   
I'm 46 with no promo/advertising background and with minimal $ I would make campus look like Point Park on the 4th of July.
DO SOMETHING SPECIAL DU!!!!!

I like the idea of fireworks and s kind of basketball festival to bring the entire community into the celebration!

4/07/2019 7:56 am  #7

Ironduke81 wrote:

Watched the CBS pregame with Clark, Kenny, Charles & the white guy don’t know his name. They briefly discussed the new inductees into the hall of fame. The majority of players were discussed by the group. Posted the list of names on the screen. No specific mention of Chuck Cooper by the 3.  Typical Duquesne gets no love you would think a mention especially with the first African American drafted into the NBA. Bummer😪

Shocking that none of the former players, who are black wouldn’t even mention the player who took the abuse to forward the cause of black players in the sport.  Perhaps Smith and Kellog were afraid to make a statement about Mr Cooper; or maybe they just need a history lesson.

4/07/2019 2:09 pm  #8

This makes me feel extremely proud and sad at the same time. I've read about Jackie Robinson and his trials. Chuck endured the same prejudices. Happy that the rebuilt stadium will bear his name! 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

9/01/2019 6:51 pm  #9

The induction ceremony is this coming Friday in Springfield, MA. The presenters include Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Julius Erving, Ray Allen, Larry Bird.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/gene-collier/2019/09/01/Chuck-Cooper-Hall-of-Fame-Cooper-Foundation-NBA-Larry-Bird/stories/201909010089

9/03/2019 9:08 pm  #10

9/03/2019 9:21 pm  #11

Coach Dambrot will be attending the induction ceremony on Friday.

https://triblive.com/sports/coach-keith-dambrots-link-to-duquesne-tied-to-hall-of-famer-chuck-cooper/

Last edited by PhoenixRising2 (9/04/2019 6:57 am)

9/04/2019 8:08 pm  #12

9/07/2019 12:41 pm  #13

From NBA.com, story and videos including Cooper's intro from the induction ceremony last night.
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/09/06/class-2019-enshrined-basketball-hall-fame

9/08/2019 8:06 pm  #14

1/20/2020 7:24 pm  #15

Board footera