Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/11/2019 11:08 am  #51

Re: Eric Williams leaving

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

EW certainly had some warts. Most notably his attitude, lack of maturity, & public interactions with the coaching staff were big problems for a large part of the season. But, you lost me at, "he was not someone who made the team better."

-He is not yet a great shooter but he showed year over year improvment in overall FG percentage, 3pt FG percentage, & FT percentage. How many players shooting stats hold-up after taking dunks & layups out of the equation? With the green light that these players have, it is no wonder that endless bad shots are taken. Do you think that Houston & Wisconsin are interested because they believe he can't shoot? He is more of a scorer than a shooter but with a more mature offense he is likely to be both.

Hughes
Non 3pt/dunk shot %:  55.6    Scoring efficiency on those shots  1.64

Weathers
Non 3pt/dunk shot %:  53.1    Scoring efficiency on those shots  1.53

Carry
Non 3pt/dunk shot %:  51.6    Scoring efficiency on those shots  1.49

Williams
Non 3pt/dunk shot %:  35.7    Scoring efficiency on those shots  1.23

Anyway you cut it....Williams took a LOT of low % shots.  That is NOT a good team player.

: “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”   Mark Twain

You and I are finished.  You can call me a liar again if you like....it will not change the fact you are clueless.  

Nice try. I asked what would happen to the shooting stats of other players if you took away dunks & layups not dunks & 3 pointers. What player's FG percentage would go down if you eliminated 3s? Pretty close to no players; not even Steph Curry.

Your overall theme to the original post was that EW did not make the team better. I disagreed with a refutation of some of your supporting argument without calling you stupid or clueless.

I have to ask. How many other posters think EW did not make the team better?

Hughes
Overall %  58.9

Weathers
Overall %  48.9

Carry
Overall  43.4

Williams
Overall %  42.4

Steph Curry (per your request)
Non 3pt/dunk shot %: 52.6 
Overall % 47.2 

https://stats.nba.com/player/201939/

Clueless....and lazy   SMH

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (4/11/2019 11:08 am)

4/11/2019 2:31 pm  #52

stew wrote:

This is a major blow to Duquesne and this transfer hurts.Really disappointed .I guess Eric wanted to play on a bigger stage.Time to move on.

If I'm Eric Williams and I've played as well as i have in the A10,  [in front of paltry -- small crowds at home] , then it's obvious to ask yourself 'why wouldn't I consider moving to a more prestigious program?'   Eric is a very smart and savvy fellow.  Have heard him in interviews after a number of games.  I would do the same thing in the world of business if i thought it would benefit me.   You only have one shot in life, so you make decisions on what is best for you.  Kudos to him!    I''ve been a loyal Dukes fan since 1959 and i hate to see him go.  But I too have had to periodically make momentous decisions in my life.   I like Dambrot as a coach, and maybe his 'team oriented approach' clashed with EW's more 'self oriented' approach to get ahead.   In the meantime KD (& we) need to move ahead and make the needed adjustments - and proceed with improving the program.   I hope EW does well wherever he goes.  He seems to be a guy with a good head on his shoulders.  

4/11/2019 2:37 pm  #53

Dsnyder15 wrote:

phil95 wrote:

Dsnyder15 wrote:

Hughes

Weathers

Carry

Williams

Anyway you cut it....Williams took a LOT of low % shots.  That is NOT a good team player.

: “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.”   Mark Twain

You and I are finished.  You can call me a liar again if you like....it will not change the fact you are clueless.  

Nice try. I asked what would happen to the shooting stats of other players if you took away dunks & layups not dunks & 3 pointers. What player's FG percentage would go down if you eliminated 3s? Pretty close to no players; not even Steph Curry.

Your overall theme to the original post was that EW did not make the team better. I disagreed with a refutation of some of your supporting argument without calling you stupid or clueless.

I have to ask. How many other posters think EW did not make the team better?

Hughes
Overall %  58.9

Weathers
Overall %  48.9

Carry
Overall  43.4

Williams
Overall %  42.4

Steph Curry (per your request)
Non 3pt/dunk shot %: 52.6 
Overall % 47.2 

https://stats.nba.com/player/201939/

Clueless....and lazy   SMH

I am beginning to wonder if your reading comprehension skills are in some way compromised. 

Here is the question I asked in my original post:
 "How many players shooting stats hold-up after taking dunks & layups out of the equation?"

Here is the question I asked in this morning's post:
"What player's FG percentage would go down if you eliminated 3s?"

Of course Steph's field goal percentage is higher without the 3's. That was precisely my point. 99% of players have a much higher percentage from 2; including EW.

Eric shot 46.3% from 2pt & 37.1% from 3pt. Neither are spectacular numbers but both are very solid. His 3 percentage was by far the best on the team & good for 4th in the A-10.
You are correct, he did seem to be heaving sometimes based on being pissed or not getting in enough attempts. That makes for terrible team chemistry. It must be noted both TDM & Frankie showed very poor shot selection from the beginning to the end of the season while having much less positive shooting results & nobody is saying they were bad teammates as a result.

Given our past disagreements, I was really trying not to attack you. I just thought I would give my point of view on EW as a player using your analysis as a point of comparison because you had given the most detailed opinion to date. I will just steer clear of responding to your posts.

4/11/2019 10:41 pm  #54

Noticed on Twitter that Eric Williams is visiting Missouri; a program that has struggled with player defection, coaching change, and scandal the last several years.  Certainly not much success in recent years.  Hopefully he can do better than Missouri.

4/14/2019 3:54 pm  #55

It seems I am not the only person that noticed Williams taking a lot of low % shots.

"There were times when Williams showed his (lack of) experience with a questionable shot selection and unforced turnovers. With a year in the weight and film rooms behind him, however, I expect his 2.1 turnovers/pg average to fall and his 39% shooting to rise. If they do, Williams could find himself on the All-Conference first team."

https://bustingbrackets.com/2018/08/20/atlantic-10-basketball-top-10-returning-players-2018-2019/4/

Board footera