Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2019 6:55 pm  #51

Re: Facts on our Transfers

Just curious, if that’s his opinion, it does not make him a bad fan. You don’t have to look at everything that occurs as a positive, especially us long suffering Duquesne fans. Just like you stated that Ellis is a power 5 recruit and not one of those schools were recruiting him. I have seen Ellis play on several occasions and think he will struggle a bit, but I am rooting for him because he is from my old neighborhood plus he is a very nice kid and plays for the Dukes.

4/15/2019 7:14 pm  #52

Wildwood13 wrote:

Just curious, if that’s his opinion, it does not make him a bad fan. You don’t have to look at everything that occurs as a positive, especially us long suffering Duquesne fans. Just like you stated that Ellis is a power 5 recruit and not one of those schools were recruiting him. I have seen Ellis play on several occasions and think he will struggle a bit, but I am rooting for him because he is from my old neighborhood plus he is a very nice kid and plays for the Dukes.

I was not referring to any one individual, or any one post.  I am a positive person by nature, and I believe in this coach and think he is doing a great job given the mess he started with.  But thank you for your comment.  I realize I need a break from this Board.  

4/15/2019 7:21 pm  #53

gary2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

rittersdiner wrote:

I consider the A10 a better overall conference than the MAC.
What I mean by the level of play is having an intimate knowledge of each team and what it takes to beat them. You don't get that feel if Akron plays an A10 team once in a while in OOC.. Dambrot probably could tell you coaches tendencies in the MAC while at Akron but not the A10. Now, he should know.
Finally, You're stuck on the number of wins. I value quality of wins. What was our best win? Radnor? 121st. There are a lot of 20 win teams in the CBI and CIT tournaments.To go further, you need quality wins.

Totally agree with this. A new coach does have to get a feel for the league. The 10 wins in league play actually show me more than the 19 total wins, because the ooc schedule has been so weak. At some point, he's going to have to upgrade the schedule, including playing a couple of hard road games, and we'll still need to get 9-10 wins ooc if he expects the team to even get a look from the NIT, let alone the NCAAs. P5 schools can afford to play garbage ooc, because the league schedule will give them the sos they need. I have no problem with the crap ooc schedules we've played the last two years, because we weren't good enough to handle anything tougher. He might be able to do a weak ooc schedule one more year, and then it will be time to do or die. If they can't handle a decent ooc schedule in the fourth year, I'll begin to have some doubts about whether we're going to get the job done. As KD has said many times, he didn't come here to be a CBI level team.

The last 2 recruits and grad transfer big's visit do not really inspire confidence in accomplishing that

-Steele is fast becoming a hot name in grad transfer land & he wants to come. -He would likely be the best backup center in the conference.
-He satisfies a real need & allows a more natural development/recovery for the other bigs while providing experienced insurance against Mhughesfoul trouble, fatigue, & injury.
-He shoots FTs often & relatively well!!!
-He will be definitely be gone after a season making it a bit more likely that developing bigs stay.

I am not trying to shout you down. I would prefer a true, sharp shooting wing but if this is the guy, there is much to be happy about.

How good a one year rental are you expecting to get?

4/15/2019 8:26 pm  #54

4/15/2019 9:47 pm  #55

That is me. I am a Pitt grad and fan, but I have also followed Duquesne going back to Barry and Gary.

You can run my history on the Pitt board. you will see I made the same points I have made here.

Going back to Everhart, I have been very confused as to why certain players play and others don't at Duquesne. I have felt talent has not been recognized and rewarded as often as it should.

That is the opinion of someone who wants Duquesne to succeed.

4/15/2019 11:02 pm  #56

gary2 wrote:

That is me. I am a Pitt grad and fan, but I have also followed Duquesne going back to Barry and Gary.

You can run my history on the Pitt board. you will see I made the same points I have made here.

Going back to Everhart, I have been very confused as to why certain players play and others don't at Duquesne. I have felt talent has not been recognized and rewarded as often as it should.

That is the opinion of someone who wants Duquesne to succeed.

I'm a frequent lurker on the Pitt board, and have seen your posts. There are some Dukes friendly posters there. Sometimes it's good to get opinions from someone who doesn't quite live and die with the team. Keep posting.

4/15/2019 11:11 pm  #57

4/16/2019 7:37 am  #58

Reading the blog entries over there - they are actively saying it was Capel’s decision to drop the game against Duquesne because “he can’t afford the loss”

Huh?

4/16/2019 8:21 am  #59

Box & One wrote:

Reading the blog entries over there - they are actively saying it was Capel’s decision to drop the game against Duquesne because “he can’t afford the loss”

Huh?

I saw that. That theory is being pushed by the resident board troll. There is probably some truth to it. Playing at Bobby Mo is dangerous, and in a season where they really need to get back over .500, a cupcake at home is probably a better bet than playing us at the Arena. As I said in another thread, as long as it's one year thing, I'm not bothered by it, and actually see it as a positive. This is an important season for us where we have to avoid sliding backwards after the loss of EW, and the elimination of the "if we lose to Pitt the season's a loss" narrative will be a plus. Too much emphasis on one game.

Board footera