Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/26/2013 4:56 pm  #51

Re: While we continue to spin our wheels......

Steve, this is pretty black and white. They've been kicking our butts for the past couple of years. I don't understand by what standard you think we're better right now. Head-to-head, we lose. You want to play the conference card, but that's like saying Northwestern can beat someone's butt in football just because they're a Big 10 school. On that note, didn't Appalachian State beat Michigan just a couple of years ago?

Thinking that we are somehow the better program right now is delusional. The only place they are better is in your heart, my heart, the heart of everyone here. On the court, they own us.

The ONLY thing that will change my mind is a different result next year. And I promise, this is my last word on the subject.

5/26/2013 5:06 pm  #52

ElDuque wrote:

Steve, this is pretty black and white. They've been kicking our butts for the past couple of years. I don't understand by what standard you think we're better right now. Head-to-head, we lose. You want to play the conference card, but that's like saying Northwestern can beat someone's butt in football just because they're a Big 10 school. On that note, didn't Appalachian State beat Michigan just a couple of years ago?

Thinking that we are somehow the better program right now is delusional. The only place they are better is in your heart, my heart, the heart of everyone here. On the court, they own us.

The ONLY thing that will change my mind is a different result next year. And I promise, this is my last word on the subject.

You already went there in bold. I already disputed it. I also think you're oversimplfying my arguement. It goes way beyond just conference.

Again, I'll concede that they're better team right now. That IS pretty black white. For overall program/ #2 in the city, there is way more that grey area. If you don't understand, reread. My argument is pretty clearly laid out, and it is my opinion.

Last edited by steve19981 (5/26/2013 5:32 pm)

5/26/2013 7:07 pm  #53

Steve, regardless if we agree I know you are a big DU fan and I repect that.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  Not that it is any better than the opinion of others on this Board.  I would, however, like to ask for your honest response to this hypothetical question. If there was a random survey of Pittsburgh sports fans with this question:  Which school has had the the better Mems basketball "program" over the last 20-years?  Do you really believe most people would say Duquesne?  

Personally I do not think there is much doubt that most people would say RMU by a landslide. I do not think they would make any distinction between "better team" and "better program".  I also do not believe that things like conference affiliation, attendance or intitutional considerations would come in to play for most answering this simple question.  Does this mean DU is #3 in the City?  Well in the case of where an opinion is asked, perception can be reality. 

5/26/2013 8:16 pm  #54

CLK wrote:

Steve, regardless if we agree I know you are a big DU fan and I repect that.  You are certainly entitled to your opinion.  Not that it is any better than the opinion of others on this Board.  I would, however, like to ask for your honest response to this hypothetical question. If there was a random survey of Pittsburgh sports fans with this question:  Which school has had the the better Mems basketball "program" over the last 20-years?  Do you really believe most people would say Duquesne?  

Personally I do not think there is much doubt that most people would say RMU by a landslide. I do not think they would make any distinction between "better team" and "better program".  I also do not believe that things like conference affiliation, attendance or intitutional considerations would come in to play for most answering this simple question.  Does this mean DU is #3 in the City?  Well in the case of where an opinion is asked, perception can be reality. 

I have no idea who would win 2nd. And again, popular opinion does not make it so and it wouldn't change mine.

I'd gladly state my argument to anyone who doesn't agree.

Last edited by steve19981 (5/26/2013 8:23 pm)

5/27/2013 6:28 am  #55

My wish for the future is that Duquesne is #1 in the city of Pittsburgh and #1 in the A-10. Now, go grill your burgers and drink your Duquesne pilseners in peace.

5/27/2013 1:58 pm  #56

ElDuque wrote:

My wish for the future is that Duquesne is #1 in the city of Pittsburgh and #1 in the A-10. Now, go grill your burgers and drink your Duquesne pilseners in peace.

We're as far behind Pitt as Robert Morris is behind us institutionally. Lot of work to do there.

5/27/2013 2:52 pm  #57

We are five years behind Bobby Mo and decades behind Pitt. But we can turn that around. When I was a student, we were on even ground with Pitt, and Bobby Mo was a pimple on a whino's butt. I would actually like things to return to that state, when Duquesne-Pitt games were heavyweight battles and the city watched them like they were the 7th game of the World Series.

Board footera