Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/15/2019 10:34 pm  #1

Incoming Freshman Amaya Hamilton

Amaya's team won the Indiana State Championship in their classification and she finished with game averages of 12 pts and 7 reb.

She was named third-team all-state today and played in the Indiana All-Star game over the weekend. 

There is pic on her twitter page from of the players selected and Amaya is in the 2nd row, the second to last player to the right in the maroon uniform (either #12 or #13) and you can see she will bring good height and appears to be all of the 6-2 she is listed as.  

@amaya_hamilton

4/16/2019 10:54 am  #2

Re: Incoming Freshman Amaya Hamilton

See link

https://readthereporter.com/hses-hamilton-selected-for-indiana-all-stars/

Hamilton hopefully will bring some much needed athleticism to the Dukes and increase their chances for another NCAA bid down the road. 

4/16/2019 3:27 pm  #3

I am a throwback who began to learn the game in the 50s. Personally, I think the 3 guard (and now even four guard) set is just a mechanism to keep games close. I like a true 3 who is big. John Chaney’s teams at Temple always had the 6’5” to 6’7” kid who was an outside shooter and who could post up. Temple had a long string of NCAAs.   In watching video, Amaya seems like she might be that kind of player.  I hope Dan considers her at the three (also, with AP) so we might become a bigger team. And, yes, I loved that Baylor threw out a front line (at times) of 6’7”, 6’5” and 6’4”. Along with a 6’2” guard. Position-less basketball is today’s in thing. Give me three big forwards and two solid guards and I will take my chances. LOL- I am old! 😂

Last edited by HookShot (4/16/2019 3:29 pm)

4/16/2019 5:14 pm  #4

I am with you, HookShot.  

Dan has traditionally started no more than 2 bigger players on the front line (we've traded emails over this), and as you know, he will also play 1 post with 4 guards.

I suspect that (initially) no freshman will start; that he will probably go with: Kalin, Bazelak, Bovell, and Cannon along with either Staffileno or Sole; a relatively small (experienced) team he has confidence in.  Depending on their development, the 6'2 Hamilton and the 6'3 Johnson (from Sweden) will see action, but I would be very surprised if you ever see a front line of Hamilton, Johnson and Sole/Staffileno.  BUT that's the front line I hope your team eventually becomes, which I believe is the ticket to your NCAA berth.

You will get an additional front line boost in 2020 with the anticipated signing of a very good/athletic 6'3 player- who I can't name now- but will be announced this Fall.  SIZE MATTERS!

4/16/2019 10:14 pm  #5

KNOW the ladies game is somewhat different from the guys game in the amount of players leaving each year -  Wonder if when fall rolls around if they might reconsider red shirting the two ladies who will be sitting out - KNOW they have utilized the red shirting process in the past but given the significant amount of minutes that needs to be replaced.. 

IF HEALTHY would like to see Nina in the starting line up (guess it would have to come at the expense of Amanda) just think a lineup of Libby, Amanda, Nina, Paige and Halle would be too undersized -  Nina might provide better rebounding/scoring -  Amanda might be better suited to come of the bench.  Here's hoping with three years in the program Elliott will also be able to make a solid contribution.  Think she brings more than Anne-Pier does - Don't expect too much from the younger Elliot sister at this point.

5/17/2019 11:09 am  #6

I apologize for not seeing Skeptic Al's post from a month ago.

Question- Who are the two young ladies you are referring to about sitting out and possibly redshirting?

I know that Dan plans to redshirt two of his HS recruits, the 6'4 gal from Nebraska City NE, and the 5'10 guard from the Sacramento, California area.  They both have a huge upside, but Dan wants them to get stronger and in college shape.  I suspect 6'2 Hamilton and 6'3 Johnson will play significant minutes and conceivably, at least one of them may start.  Both have college-ready bodies.  

5/17/2019 2:38 pm  #7

Sperlman:  The two young ladies I referred to as "sitting out and redshirting" are the SAME  ones you refer to (the lady from Nebraska and the one from the Sacramento area)  I was just wondering if that plan might change (even in the fall etc) - given the number of minutes available etc.

You HOPE the team stays healthy -  Obviously not always the case -  If there is an injury or two (especially to a player who is expected to contribute a larger amount of time -  Does the red shirt possibly get put on hold for a year or so? -  Angelina was to red shirt her freshman year - Paige got injured - Angie's red shirt year got pushed back.

If one (or both) is physically  able to come in - contribute from Day One -  Red shirt year could be scrapped altogether.

5/17/2019 4:36 pm  #8

I have not chatted with Dan about the possibility the two redshirts could end up playing if he felt (1) there is not enough offense on the team and (2) he believes one or both of them could make meaningful contributions in 2019-2020.  I'm sure a lot of answers will become apparent when Fall practice begins.

Given enough minutes- your team should get a lot more production this coming year from Sole and Libby B; perhaps both of them will average in double figures.  If Angie S. starts over Sole, she will give you very good/smart defense, but she is not the scorer Sole is.  Canon is a reliable 8-10 points a game and sometimes more and perhaps she will be asked to carry a greater offensive role.

I don't know where the rest of the scoring will come from unless you include Amaya Hamilton, although I doubt she will start- hopefully she can get comfortable with the college game and use her size and athleticism to add to the offense.  The 6'3 Johnson did not demonstrate much scoring, but was a solid defender and good rebounder- so that's a big defensive plus for you guys.

Final note- A lot of gals left their schools to transfer, including several players who completed their undergraduate degrees but are immediately eligible for another season as a graduate transfer.  There is a possibility Dan was/is looking for someone (interested in Duquesne) who could come in and immediately contribute.  Stay tuned.

Wish you guys the best!
Go Dukes!

Board footera