Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/18/2019 4:14 pm  #1

How would you schedule OOC next year?

Congrats/apologies on becoming the new AD for Duquesne! 

Your first order of business - scheduling the men's basketball out of conference schedule. How do you think they should proceed?

Do you try to stack up the wins on cupcakes, paying both the guarantee and the rent at the paint can, or do you go see what you have and try to defray the cost of some of the Coop by jobbing for as many Big 10/Big East/Big 12 schools as will pay you? 

My take is that I don't really see the math for playing 300+ ranked schools at an nearly empty hockey arena. I think that risking taking some lumps early, playing bigger schools, will have a long term benefit moreso than beating bad teams at "home."  I don't think that those lumps are guaranteed (or in some cases, expected) either.

4/18/2019 5:53 pm  #2

Re: How would you schedule OOC next year?

Love this question.  From what I can gather from this site we know the following:
Bahamas (3 games)
St Pete (2 games)?
Cleveland Showcase (1 game)?
@ Marshall

That leaves 6 for home if I have all that right but again I'm piecing together things people have said.
OOC Home:
1.) Opener: No better way to start a season than taking on a cupcake.  Bring on a 250+ team.
2.) MAC School: Middle of the pack will do fine.
3.) Big 10 Bottom Feeder: I think Pitt might host Iowa this year so perhaps catch them while they are in town.  If it's not Iowa it will be a team near the bottom of the Big 10 so they might be up for a game at PPG.
4.) Ivy League: Cornell was a CBI team so that seems like a good fit.
5.) Patriot League: No one in particular here.  I sort of like a matchup with Bucknell though.  
6.) Former A-10 Rival: See if Temple, Charlotte or Xavier are up to play at the paint can.

4/18/2019 7:12 pm  #3

09dukes wrote:

Love this question.  From what I can gather from this site we know the following:
Bahamas (3 games)
St Pete (2 games)?
Cleveland Showcase (1 game)?
@ Marshall

That leaves 6 for home if I have all that right but again I'm piecing together things people have said.
OOC Home:
1.) Opener: No better way to start a season than taking on a cupcake.  Bring on a 250+ team.
2.) MAC School: Middle of the pack will do fine.
3.) Big 10 Bottom Feeder: I think Pitt might host Iowa this year so perhaps catch them while they are in town.  If it's not Iowa it will be a team near the bottom of the Big 10 so they might be up for a game at PPG.
4.) Ivy League: Cornell was a CBI team so that seems like a good fit.
5.) Patriot League: No one in particular here.  I sort of like a matchup with Bucknell though.  
6.) Former A-10 Rival: See if Temple, Charlotte or Xavier are up to play at the paint can.

No Big 10 team is playing Duquesne on the road unless we become what we were in the early 50s. Forget that! You might get a lesser B10 team on their home floor like we did when we beat a weak Iowa team when Bill Clark was here.
Bobby Mo. If we don't play Bobby Mo, I never want to hear anyone on this board cry about Pitt ever again!
Xavier will come here when hell freezes over, or we become a member of the BE.
Look for a home and away with a better CAA team.
Try for a home and away with an MVC team.
One cupcake, preferably not the worst team in the MEAC.
Play a road game vs the best powerhouse you can. I'd love for it to be Villanova, but any good BE, ACC, or SEC team will do, or even one of the powerhouses in the AAC like Houston, Cincy, Memphis, or a soon to be rising UConn.

4/18/2019 7:53 pm  #4

Are we not scheduled to play Penn State up there next year? I thought I heard on the last radio broadcast that we were going to NJIT.  If these two things are true, leaves us three, maybe four games to get.

4/18/2019 8:21 pm  #5

HookShot - I hadn't heard of those two road games but thinking about it now it makes sense we would likely play Penn State on the road since we hosted this past year (although technically i guess it was a "neutral" site).

Duq81 - I think it makes sense to play Bobby Mo but I know KD does not want to play them at their place.  There was a time a few years ago where we played WVU, Pitt and RMU.  I liked playing those local schools.  College basketball has complicated itself and won't allow those type of schedules to be played any more.

I think realistically that you are right and we will have to hit the road quite a bit this year but a guy can dream.

4/18/2019 8:41 pm  #6

I really liked the game at the War Memorial in Johnstown a couple years ago. I'd like to see us play St Francis in a men's and women's double header.

I'm guessing we'll go out West to play someone in the MWC - A10 challenge next year maybe UNLV, Air Force or New Mexico.

I'd like to see us start a home and away with a couple of solid mid majors or an AAC school on the road. Think Valpo, East Carolina, Belmont, or Vermont.

There isn't going to be much room for chumps if the Dukes want to build an NCAA / NIT worthy SOS, but I'd schedule one or two.

4/19/2019 7:41 am  #7

81 did Penn State leave the Big 10?  The A-10 also has guidelines for opponents in an attempt to keep the leagues overall ratings. Scheduling is fast become a huge headache. I also agree with Steve we will travel if we participate in the MWC game.

4/19/2019 7:54 am  #8

I am hopeful that we will play on the road at a top level SEC team next season.  I was told a few months ago by someone I consider a very reliable source that preliminary talks had occurred. I hope it remains a possibility.  

4/19/2019 8:18 am  #9

The Dome wrote:

81 did Penn State leave the Big 10?  The A-10 also has guidelines for opponents in an attempt to keep the leagues overall ratings. Scheduling is fast become a huge headache. I also agree with Steve we will travel if we participate in the MWC game.

Basically a neutral court game vs a local opponent. If you think MSU, or Indiana are ever coming here, I just don't know what to say.

4/19/2019 8:53 am  #10

steve19981 wrote:

I really liked the game at the War Memorial in Johnstown a couple years ago. I'd like to see us play St Francis in a men's and women's double header.

I'm guessing we'll go out West to play someone in the MWC - A10 challenge next year maybe UNLV, Air Force or New Mexico.

I'd like to see us start a home and away with a couple of solid mid majors or an AAC school on the road. Think Valpo, East Carolina, Belmont, or Vermont.

There isn't going to be much room for chumps if the Dukes want to build an NCAA / NIT worthy SOS, but I'd schedule one or two.

I don't believe the A10-MWC challenge starts until the 2020-2021 season.

4/19/2019 9:02 am  #11

I'd schedule road games this year vs teams we could get the return home games in 2020 when we open the Coop.  Get as many home games in 2020 as possible.

Since Pitt pulled out on us, we should seriously consider having them play at the Coop in 2020, dont just go back to the PPG, split the gate with them, whatever, but play at our place.  Screw them, and their lame uniforms.  Who in this region would have a problem with us explaining that, and pitt would look bad, again, if they didnt play at the Coop.  

Last edited by townsonkid (4/19/2019 9:02 am)

4/19/2019 9:43 am  #12

townsonkid wrote:

I'd schedule road games this year vs teams we could get the return home games in 2020 when we open the Coop.  Get as many home games in 2020 as possible.

Since Pitt pulled out on us, we should seriously consider having them play at the Coop in 2020, dont just go back to the PPG, split the gate with them, whatever, but play at our place.  Screw them, and their lame uniforms.  Who in this region would have a problem with us explaining that, and pitt would look bad, again, if they didnt play at the Coop.  

We, who think we are too good to play at Bobby Mo, are going to force Pitt to play at the Coop? LOL! Now, maybe as a gesture of good will, they might be willing to open the new place for us, in exchange for a visit to the Pete the following year, but I won't be holding my breath. Unfortunately, Jeff Capel has the same mentality as KD when it comes to local rivalries, TAKE NO RISKS!

4/19/2019 10:25 am  #13

I dont think we are too good to play RMU.   We arent.

Board footera