Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

4/19/2019 2:02 pm  #1

Baylee signs a Financial Aid Agreement

I noticed that today DU put out the formal announcement that Baylee has indeed signed a financial aid agreement.

This is much different than signing a Letter of Intent.  The LOI binds  both the athlete and the school to the agreement for 1 year . If the player opts out he / she is bound by the NCAA transfer rules ( sit out one year in hoops , football for example ).

The financial aid agreement only binds the school for the one year period assuming the player actually decides to attend the university.  A player is not bound until the day he / she steps on campus.  In theory a player could sign multiple Financial Aid Agreements to keep his / her options open and make a final decision at the very beginning of the school year. It is a bit of protection for the student athlete in the event of a coaching change ( not in play here I assume ) for example.

This may not mean anything in this case as we do not know why this course of action was taken , and it may truly be a moot point when Baylee shows up late June when the summer sessions commence.

I just wanted to make the board aware of this scenario.

4/19/2019 3:06 pm  #2

Re: Baylee signs a Financial Aid Agreement

What it probably means is that KD is working his magic to bring in another LOI player without going over the scholarship limit.  This coach gets after the recruiting!

4/22/2019 8:00 am  #3

I saw some Bonnie tweeter feed that was super pissed to see KD was recruiting a 6'7'' guy last week.  Basically was saying DU/KD cheats and over recruits and has to push people out of the program.  Whatever

4/22/2019 10:04 am  #4

townsonkid wrote:

I saw some Bonnie tweeter feed that was super pissed to see KD was recruiting a 6'7'' guy last week.  Basically was saying DU/KD cheats and over recruits and has to push people out of the program.  Whatever

Wow. They only beat us both times last year. I guess that person want us to lose even worse. Hatred corrodes the soul...

4/22/2019 10:12 am  #5

scduke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

Wow. They only beat us both times last year. I guess that person want us to lose even worse. Hatred corrodes the soul...

Some A10 board posters had issues with KD last year, and it seems they had issues with him BEFORE he got to DU, saying he over recruits and basically has to boot players out of his program.  
Kind of reminds me of Alabama football in that regard, and Saban is considered a genius.

Last edited by townsonkid (4/22/2019 10:12 am)

4/22/2019 10:22 am  #6

scduke wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

The kid the Bonnie fan was upset about is Jeremiah Davenport (discussed in the Recruiting Section above).  He is the brother of Michael Davenport who use to play for the Bonnies a few years ago.  The Bonnies offered Jeremiah also, and this Bonnie fan is upset that he was visiting DU. 

4/22/2019 10:37 am  #7

Instead of them enjoying their success, and the quality players in their program, they worry about us, and who knows who else.  Like the A10 watch dogs.  
Davenport isnt coming here, so they can relax, hopefully he doesnt go there either, so they can remain miserable.

4/22/2019 11:56 am  #8

townsonkid wrote:

Instead of them enjoying their success, and the quality players in their program, they worry about us, and who knows who else.  Like the A10 watch dogs.  
Davenport isnt coming here, so they can relax, hopefully he doesnt go there either, so they can remain miserable.

Why isn't Davenport coming to DU?

There are usually extenuating circumstances when players of this quality wait as late as 5/6 to sign. Getting him to visit was a coup.

4/22/2019 12:23 pm  #9

I never said anything negative about us recruiting him, I would expect KD and staff to do that, but this is why:

=18px....heading to Blacksburg next weekend. He has been receiving major interest from across the country and has been talking with Minnesota, Iowa, Ohio State, Xavier, and Saint Bonaventure among others.

Thats a pretty solid list of programs to beat out.  It could happen, I am not banking on it tho, thats all.

4/22/2019 7:02 pm  #10

We beat out some P5 schools to get Austin' His final 4 included N'wst'rn, Penn St., and VCU. A couple of other schools that offered were Michigan and WVU. By the way Maceo will be playing this Saturday at Montour for Pa. against a USA team that has 2 Pitt recruits on it. 

4/22/2019 7:23 pm  #11

Looks like the Pitt recruits are on the same team as Maceo.

4/23/2019 12:30 pm  #12

Ghost, your description of LOI vs. financial aid agreement is correct, but my understanding is that an NCAA athlete can only sign an LOI once. So transfers never sign LOIs, only financial aid agreements. Go back and look at the signings of our previous transfers and you'll see similar wording. 

As to whether Keith is still recruiting, well, recall two years ago when Frankie Hughes signed an FAA after our recruiting class had already been finalized at 13 scholarships in a press release a month earlier. Then Chas Brown joined the program as a grad transfer a few months after that. So yes, Keith does seem to have some leeway to get kids in beyond the 13-scholarship limit. I wouldn't expect any blue-chip athletes under such a scenario, but who knows.

4/23/2019 2:30 pm  #13

Be waiting on the phone with this kids number in hand, waiting for the ruling to come down, if he cant play HS ball anymore, call him ASAP

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-basketball/2019/04/23/Donovan-Johnson-Moon-senior-year-eligibility-WPIAL-PIAA-repeated-eighth-grade/stories/201904230133

4/23/2019 9:17 pm  #14

DennisC91 wrote:

Ghost, your description of LOI vs. financial aid agreement is correct, but my understanding is that an NCAA athlete can only sign an LOI once. So transfers never sign LOIs, only financial aid agreements. Go back and look at the signings of our previous transfers and you'll see similar wording. 

As to whether Keith is still recruiting, well, recall two years ago when Frankie Hughes signed an FAA after our recruiting class had already been finalized at 13 scholarships in a press release a month earlier. Then Chas Brown joined the program as a grad transfer a few months after that. So yes, Keith does seem to have some leeway to get kids in beyond the 13-scholarship limit. I wouldn't expect any blue-chip athletes under such a scenario, but who knows.

I recall this as well when signing players in the past.

4/24/2019 10:47 pm  #15

townsonkid wrote:

Be waiting on the phone with this kids number in hand, waiting for the ruling to come down, if he cant play HS ball anymore, call him ASAP

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/high-school-basketball/2019/04/23/Donovan-Johnson-Moon-senior-year-eligibility-WPIAL-PIAA-repeated-eighth-grade/stories/201904230133

He's gotta graduate high school first regardless of his Wpial eligibility. In all likelihood, he'll just go to a prep school

4/25/2019 7:40 am  #16

Dang, that would suck to be him, find out he cant play HS ball anymore, wont graduate, and has to play at some prep school.   OUCH!

4/25/2019 3:52 pm  #17

townsonkid wrote:

Dang, that would suck to be him, find out he cant play HS ball anymore, wont graduate, and has to play at some prep school.   OUCH!

The prep schools do get a lot of exposure though. The combination of the prep schools, and AAU has really weakened the power of the high school coach in the recruiting game. It used to be that relations with the high school coaches was key in a college coach's ability to recruit. Now it seems like he has to deal with a thousand people.

4/25/2019 6:23 pm  #18

One day about eight years ago, I was refereeing one of the top AAU games with the top players. Two big east head coaches came up to me and asked me if I could watch the behavior of the two AAU coaches. While the game was going on I was looking for these two Big East coaches and no where to be found. After the game while drinking water these coaches pop out of no where. They proceeded to ask me about the AAU coaches, I said before I answer where were you guys during the game. Their reply was, I went out and got a sandwich and the other replied I got a six pack. I asked them, how come they didn't watch the game. They proceeded to tell me that their assistants do the recruiting and they deal with the high schools because the high schools have their grades, know their family situation and know wether or not the kid has a social problem. Where as the the AAU coaches do not have access to this information. They stated they come to these AAU shootouts just to wave and say hi because they can not see these kids during the season. I proceeded to ask about prep players and they stated, the majority of the time the colleges place or direct them to certain prep programs. So I then asked what's up with me watching the AAU coaches and they said it's a package deal, one coach was going to make him a video coordinator the other was going to get the guy a janitors job at the school. So take they information for what it's worth.

Also at this event was a big kid from Philly named Cohen, I asked him who was recruiting him and he said mostly Patriot teams, I then asked him if he would consider Duquesne, he stated most definitely yes. I called Ron E and told him about this kid and he said he knew him, but wasn't his cup of tea. Cohen wound up going to Davidson and was Southern Conference player of the year his final two years. Just some fun facts.

4/25/2019 6:53 pm  #19

Wildwood13 wrote:

Also at this event was a big kid from Philly named Cohen, I asked him who was recruiting him and he said mostly Patriot teams, I then asked him if he would consider Duquesne, he stated most definitely yes. I called Ron E and told him about this kid and he said he knew him, but wasn't his cup of tea. Cohen wound up going to Davidson and was Southern Conference player of the year his final two years. Just some fun facts.

It's an inexact science. This is true in all sports, and at all levels. Think of all the schools that missed out on Mike James, TJ, and Aaron Jackson. Jim McCoy would have come here, and Satalin didn't want him. Every NFL team passed on Tom Brady 5 times, and tonight, some teams will pass on guys who would be impact players for them, and draft guys who won't cut it. Sometimes a player is good, but doesn't fit a coach's style of play. This likely happened with Mike Lewis.

Board footera