Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/13/2019 12:03 pm  #26

Re: Big Announcement

Wow this thread. Potshots at those gosh darn milennials. Faulting the bookstore for not having the logo on merch even though it hasn't been released yet. Good stuff guys.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/13/2019 12:58 pm  #27

Simms wrote:

Face wrote:

CLK wrote:

Face, thanks for the clarification and information. I was told way too many years ago it was a griffin. I stand corrected.  

My pleasure.

I have a lot of random DU historical knowledge. I wish I knew more, or that there were more reliable sources for it. If there were I’d try to write a book about it... different from the existing one, focusing more on the history of school spirit in times good and bad. Especially the school songs and the people who wrote them, even the obscure ones like “The Dukes of Duquesne.” And no one knows much at all about “The Duquesne Hymn.”

We get Gumberg Library access for life, don’t we? Maybe I should look into this...

There's a reason you were always the best fan in the Red and Blue Crew!  You knew our history and brought back the Mossie Cheer.  I'd still love to see it return, but we need more numbers.  Good info on the lion.

Thanks for saying that, that’s extremely nice of you.

I always thought it was because of how absurdly loud I was.

5/13/2019 2:24 pm  #28

The Duquesne Boo Boo Kitties!!!

5/13/2019 2:26 pm  #29

yak-rbc wrote:

Wow this thread. Potshots at those gosh darn milennials. Faulting the bookstore for not having the logo on merch even though it hasn't been released yet. Good stuff guys.

Most millennials are long since graduated now.

5/13/2019 4:36 pm  #30

I will say this, while I do enjoy the current logo, the fact that the design company is very one-note with a lot of their graphics means that this logo lacks identity to me.

Rickabaugh Designs is the company in question. They have done a ton of college logos (including our current) that all look very similar. Look at:

RMU
Providence
Louisville
Abeline Christian
VCU
UCF
Northern Michigan
UMass
North Florida

... and plenty more. They’re all very clearly cut from the same cloth and it really feels mailed in. Font choices, borders, positioning of the mascot, it’s all very similar.

Give me something exciting and interesting that feels like it is of the university and I am on board. If they really use a lion I love how it’s plucked right from the seal and our ubiquitous (yet distinct) red rings.

Last edited by Face (5/13/2019 4:45 pm)

5/13/2019 5:03 pm  #31

Haha thanks VBC! You know me....where's the football? 🏈😉

5/13/2019 5:54 pm  #32

5/13/2019 7:42 pm  #33

VBC wrote:

Looks better than Steely McBeam.

5/13/2019 8:34 pm  #34

I own a Steely McBeam bobblehead.

It was a gift.

From an Eagles fan.

5/13/2019 9:21 pm  #35

Will take the kitty over Steely and the Duke any day!  Dress her in red and blue and put a basketball in her hands!  The kids would love it!

5/13/2019 9:23 pm  #36

LOL VBC you owe that Eagles fan!

5/14/2019 9:52 am  #37

DuqLaw wrote:

Most millennials are long since graduated now.

I know this and you know this. But curmudgeons lump them all together.

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/14/2019 9:53 am  #38

I guess if you can have a "Lion King", then why not Lion Dukes? Even Lion Iron Dukes?

5/14/2019 3:01 pm  #39

MikeR wrote:

I guess if you can have a "Lion King", then why not Lion Dukes? Even Lion Iron Dukes?

Maybe sounds like a king one can't trust to tell the truth

5/15/2019 8:50 am  #40

RedAndBlueRUS1 wrote:

Will take the kitty over Steely and the Duke any day! Dress her in red and blue and put a basketball in her hands! The kids would love it!

I agree. The kitty is adorable! Cute always sells!

5/15/2019 9:07 am  #41

maybe get the Burger King mascot?  Who knows.  Its all a play to get King James' son here for a year, right??  :-)

What time is the big announce?

Last edited by townsonkid (5/15/2019 9:09 am)

5/15/2019 9:13 am  #42

5/15/2019 9:16 am  #43

The video attached to this tweet shows more and you can see what they mean by the "elevated u". I like it, especially the brighter blue alternates

https://twitter.com/GoDuquesne/status/1128662503280599042

5/15/2019 9:23 am  #44

I also like it. At first glance I didn't, but it quickly grew on me. We have no identity, so starting fresh is a good idea. While I like the old D logo, it looks identical to the Detroit Lions logo.  This at least gives us something unique.  I also like the different coloring options. It'll be interesting to see where they go with the Dukes mascot now. This seems more edgy, so I definitely don't think he will be made to look "nice."

Last edited by Simms (5/15/2019 9:25 am)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/15/2019 9:24 am  #45

I like the traditional colors, red, blue, white, not caring for the lite blue stuff, nor the diamond shapes anywhere, on the uni or on the court(maybe white on the court, not lite blue).   Its ok, I guess cool and hip.  Different, new, and part of the rebuild.   I'm cool with it, will buy some merch.  The traditional colors on the football helmets are sweet.  I'd buy one of those if I could, white or real blue.

Last edited by townsonkid (5/15/2019 9:30 am)

5/15/2019 9:26 am  #46

Don't mind the full logo, but the D itself just isn't working for me. Looks like a flame. Google Image Search agrees with me. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (5/15/2019 9:27 am)

5/15/2019 9:42 am  #47

DennisC91 wrote:

Don't mind the full logo, but the D itself just isn't working for me. Looks like a flame. Google Image Search agrees with me. 

Well, it's supposed to represent the Spiritan flame, so ...

My first impression is that I don't hate it. They could have done much worse. I'll let it marinate for a while.

5/15/2019 9:45 am  #48

As a 27 year old, I very much like the new D and the way the men’s basketball uni’s look, and most importantly, think these will greatly appeal to the younger kids we will be recruiting. Modern, unique, and memorable.

As for as the weird blue color scheme goes, they will likely be a lightly used alternate that will probably just be a nice change up here and there more than anything.

The design firm Nike used to design these also did the US Olympic team gear the last couple go rounds, they know what they are doing.

As far as the “diamonds” go (as seen on the new court in the video), these are actually the “logo” or “indication” of Lebrons signature Nike line (similar to the KD logo that Kevin Durant has on his Nike line for those who know what I mean). Again, that is a recruiting gimmick above all else, it highlights the fact that coming to Du gives you free access to the most expensive, top of the line Nike gear, and honestly a TON of that gear.

As someone else stated perfectly, we had no identity previous to this. Our d looked like the tigers, and the “Duquesne” logo looked like UTSA and every other logo that design firm did. The “Duke” logo was just Meh.

We must remember the primary reason for doing this is to get the best possible players on the court, and this should go a long way in achieving that goal.

5/15/2019 9:57 am  #49

Was T-Pain or any other over the hill rap stars at the announce?  Maybe Ludacris or Sysco?

102, I agree, its branding towards the players and recruits, and students.  Let us not forget its more than mens basketball.  Again, I think the football helmets are fantastic.  I want one!!!  The first 3 bball uniforms, I am down with.  Dont know if I will ever be a fan of the lite blue, but thats okay.

now knowing the diamond is tied to LeBron, who is tied to Nike, which who DU is tied to, i am okay with that.   Would rather they be white on the court, my 2 cents.  DU might be putting on a push to get Bronny here.  :-)))

Overall I am not upset, I am not that difficult to impress, unlike many on twitter.   I really expected something 180 degrees different than what we had.  Its not, but its new and pretty cool looking IMO.  Again, I am ready to buy some new gear!  Lets go!!!!

Last edited by townsonkid (5/15/2019 10:13 am)

5/15/2019 10:13 am  #50

I hear you my friend.  I don't get it, or the historical connection  The red lion made more sense in that regard. The script D has historical roots.  Are they now going to also change the D on the class rings, and the statue on campus?  Oh well what do I know, I am just one of those nasty curmudgeons.

Last edited by CLK (5/15/2019 10:14 am)

Board footera