Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/15/2019 4:19 pm  #76

Re: Big Announcement

Really???!!... Looks like a big ZERO!

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

5/15/2019 4:22 pm  #77

yak-rbc wrote:

Simms wrote:

Yells to wife:

"Whitney am I cool?"
Whitney: "No."  

Also, I would check out this link.  I think it does a nice job of explaining the rebrand.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/FiMahSptQosjr/

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I don't wanna tear anyone down that is skeptical of the logo. At my first glance, I thought it was real bad. But I saw it on some of the uniforms and it really popped.

It's gonna be hit or miss. I think Athletics should be extremely careful how they display it on everything. There's going to be a very fine line from when it looks b@d@$$ and when it'll look terrible and it's not going to please everyone, most notably I've noticed was AJ Hines. Just be open to it and when you see it in real life, youll learn to appreciate it I think.

And don't worry: Duquesne isn't changing the statue; they aren't changing the ring; they aren't changing the school logo; and you'll still be able to buy merch with the Gothic D on it

Let's see Oregon basketball the last two years have lost 13 games each season. Oregon football has had three different coaches the past three seasons and had the following record in the weak a** Pac 12, 2-7, 4-5 and 5-4. I would not call these perennial top five or twenty five results. All of this with the backing of Phil Knight. Could you please name me one recruit that Lebron has brought in. To date from what I can see is his best players have been from his old school or a kid no one wanted but West Liberty because of his injury status. You can have your opinions and I can have mine, but I guarantee you that if you walk down the street today, tomorrow or Five years from now, no one would know what school you were representing if you wore a hat with the new D,unless they win big. In contrast  if you walked down the same street or even out of town with the old D a lot more people would know what school it represents.

The past few years, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Villanova have been at the top of the basketball world and have not changed their uniforms drastically, so beside that powerhouse Oregon you speak of, who else has raised their game by going in this direction. In football it is even worse, Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Oklahoma, and as I mentioned before even after that horrific debacle at PSU, none of these schools have changed much to get an advantage over the other schools. I just can't  comprehend how this change attracts recruits.

5/15/2019 4:28 pm  #78

It’s going to take some time for me to appreciate the stylized D but I love everything else about what I saw including the fact that it does not identify with Detroit.   Keep the traditional D on the ring; change everything else.

Haven’t read most of the other comments yet.  However ...

Where did the school’s colors change to Red, Blue and WHITE???  Red and Blue.  That’s it.

5/15/2019 4:58 pm  #79

Don’t like the new logo but love the DUQ on basketball uniforms. Glade Dave finally buried the Quinipiac Clown era with new logo. The AD at Pitt rebranded the Johnny Majors Pitt script royal blue & gold for all sports. Great move. As far as I’m concerned this current AD is doing a great job. Unfortunately like my friend CLK we maybe getting old & set in our ways. As a Curb your enthusiasm fan I still can’t get over the “Fierce” intro by promo.

5/15/2019 5:08 pm  #80

Wildwood13 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

Simms wrote:

Yells to wife:

"Whitney am I cool?"
Whitney: "No."  

Also, I would check out this link.  I think it does a nice job of explaining the rebrand.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/FiMahSptQosjr/

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I don't wanna tear anyone down that is skeptical of the logo. At my first glance, I thought it was real bad. But I saw it on some of the uniforms and it really popped.

It's gonna be hit or miss. I think Athletics should be extremely careful how they display it on everything. There's going to be a very fine line from when it looks b@d@$$ and when it'll look terrible and it's not going to please everyone, most notably I've noticed was AJ Hines. Just be open to it and when you see it in real life, youll learn to appreciate it I think.

And don't worry: Duquesne isn't changing the statue; they aren't changing the ring; they aren't changing the school logo; and you'll still be able to buy merch with the Gothic D on it

Let's see Oregon basketball the last two years have lost 13 games each season. Oregon football has had three different coaches the past three seasons and had the following record in the weak a** Pac 12, 2-7, 4-5 and 5-4. I would not call these perennial top five or twenty five results. All of this with the backing of Phil Knight. Could you please name me one recruit that Lebron has brought in. To date from what I can see is his best players have been from his old school or a kid no one wanted but West Liberty because of his injury status. You can have your opinions and I can have mine, but I guarantee you that if you walk down the street today, tomorrow or Five years from now, no one would know what school you were representing if you wore a hat with the new D,unless they win big. In contrast  if you walked down the same street or even out of town with the old D a lot more people would know what school it represents.

The past few years, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Villanova have been at the top of the basketball world and have not changed their uniforms drastically, so beside that powerhouse Oregon you speak of, who else has raised their game by going in this direction. In football it is even worse, Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Oklahoma, and as I mentioned before even after that horrific debacle at PSU, none of these schools have changed much to get an advantage over the other schools. I just can't  comprehend how this change attracts recruits.

Totally missed the point. They raised the profile of the school by doing such things. Are you denying the recent overall success of those two programs say, over the last ten 15 years?

Blue bloods don’t have to change their logo. Schools that are tying to raise their own profile do. That was my only point. Sorry.

5/15/2019 5:09 pm  #81

I like it--especially on a football helmet. It looks like we hit a guy so hard, we dented the "D." 

5/15/2019 5:26 pm  #82

Duques102 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

Totally missed the point. They raised the profile of the school by doing such things. Are you denying the recent overall success of those two programs say, over the last ten 15 years?

Blue bloods don’t have to change their logo. Schools that are tying to raise their own profile do. That was my only point. Sorry.

It's only a discussion, but what point am I missing, that Phil Knight put a ton of money into his school and for a few years they had limited success. They have had success before if you look at their history. But what you fail to realize they were successful because of the coch more than any thing.
Three questions for you.

Who has LeBron attracted to Duquesne?

Why wouldn't one of the blue bloods change with the times if it would give them an edge in recruiting ? You stated all the kids like this new stuff, yet the blue bloods stay true to their colors.

What school has been successful at doing this besides Oregon ?

5/15/2019 5:36 pm  #83

Wildwood13 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

It's only a discussion, but what point am I missing, that Phil Knight put a ton of money into his school and for a few years they had limited success. They have had success before if you look at their history. But what you fail to realize they were successful because of the coch more than any thing.
Three questions for you.

Why wouldn't one of the blue bloods change with the times if it would give them an edge in recruiting ? You stated all the kids like this new stuff, yet the blue bloods stay true to their colors.

I’ll say do your own research or agree to disagree, as you mentioned it’s only a discussion.

5/15/2019 5:50 pm  #84

Duques102 wrote:

Any link to buy new gear?

Link to buy stuff.  I bought two legend shirts, a golf polo, and a hat.  

https://www.bsnteamsports.com/v3/shop/team_shop/DUQ19#/

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/15/2019 5:54 pm  #85

I could use some new Duquesne gear, but I don't care for that new "D" at all.

5/15/2019 5:59 pm  #86

Haha I love it ...the debate...
The strong opinions ... all are welcome and I get it both ways! I love the old D always will and yet I honestly do like and now need to get one of the new football helmets! Being 62 years of age means I am long ago past cool and  officially from the Ice Age! The passion for Duquesne is encouraging and Lets Go Dukes!

5/15/2019 6:01 pm  #87

My wife and I independently came to the same conclusion regarding the "new era" Duquesne branding and that is that it requires a lot of getting used to for us. As an old codger change becomes harder to accept however this change presents a real challenge for me. One point which immediately jumped out is that the "Dug" logo may present problems for individuals with less than perfect color perception. Degrees of "colorblindness" has increased due to the rapid aging of America (and our Dukes' current fan base). This matter is far from being a problem with logo/brand acceptance but it is an issue. My school and my teams are my priority, not branding. I'll adapt because Duquesne is a cherished part of me. Go Dukes!

5/15/2019 6:02 pm  #88

Judge Jack McVay Jr wrote:

Haha I love it ...the debate...
The strong opinions ... all are welcome and I get it both ways! I love the old D always will and yet I honestly do like and now need to get one of the new football helmets! Being 62 years of age means I am long ago past cool and  officially from the Ice Age! The passion for Duquesne is encouraging and Lets Go Dukes!

Judge, as a huge Duke's Fball fan you have to love the new logo on those helmets.  They look incredible.  I think the football jerseys look the best to be honest.  Here's to hoping we keep improving the program!  I watched almost every game last season!  Hopefully Towsonfan caught the first round playoff game 😉😉😉

Last edited by Simms (5/15/2019 6:03 pm)

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/15/2019 6:02 pm  #89

Duques102 wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Three questions for you.

I’ll say do your own research or agree to disagree, as you mentioned it’s only a discussion.

Blue bloods that havent gone to ncaas in 40+ years?   None.

5/15/2019 6:10 pm  #90

We need to stick together, young or old, cause apparently Dayton has copyrights on a red D, and bona fans think crap color is better than red and blue.   I can only imagine what pitt dolts are saying between mouth breathing. 

Rally ‘round the family!!!!

Last edited by townsonkid (5/15/2019 6:11 pm)

5/15/2019 7:15 pm  #91

Always thought Dayton’s new logo resembled the old block letter D with an arched “Dukes” that we used to have.

5/15/2019 10:16 pm  #92

At least the old logo looked like a "D" and yes I've been asked if I am a Detroit Tigers fan. This? Meh!

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

5/15/2019 10:23 pm  #93

KenOTR73 wrote:

At least the old logo looked like a "D" and yes I've been asked if I am a Detroit Tigers fan. This? Meh!

Old logo looked like 500 other colleges logos - look at Louisville, RMU, Providence, and so on. Cookie cutter.

5/15/2019 11:17 pm  #94

KD and LeBron are from Akron. This is all a part of a plan to turn us into Browns fans.

5/15/2019 11:20 pm  #95

@Duq81 lol!

I found the Spiritan flame though and the shape of the D definitely resembles the tongue of the biggest flame on it. So I see what they’re going for.

Otherwise, let’s not forget that we once had this:

https://sportslogohistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/duquesne_dukes_1982-1998.png

5/15/2019 11:26 pm  #96

Face wrote:

@Duq81 lol!

I found the Spiritan flame though and the shape of the D definitely resembles the tongue of the biggest flame on it. So I see what they’re going for.

https://sportslogohistory.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/duquesne_dukes_1982-1998.png

Yeah, that thing was brutal.

5/15/2019 11:38 pm  #97

duq81 wrote:

Face wrote:

@Duq81 lol!

Yeah, that thing was brutal.

It just became quickly dated. The one after it was pretty bad too, the arched “Duquesne” with “Dukes” underneath. Ugh.

But that’s kind of the point too. The gothic D was really never a part of the athletic identity of Duquesne. But suddenly this makes our class rings obsolete?

5/16/2019 7:17 am  #98

So did everyone make it thru the night, no nightmares or violent D showing up in your dreams?
Were you haunted by the old script D?

I think we'll be okay!   :-)))

5/16/2019 9:51 am  #99

No one is saying we are going to be duke or unc because of our new brand or Lebron. But it is a step up from other mid majors.

Of course no one would recognize the new logo....it’s new. We have had a miserable 30 years of basketball. We finally have university commitment to change everything about our program and there are people who want to keep things the way they are.

I guess there always is going to be someone but it’s still pretty unbelievable.

Roll Dukes Roll

5/16/2019 10:24 am  #100

I think Dave Haper is doing a great job.  He is a man with a plan and has launched a new marketing strategy.  I also think that a person can be in favor of doing a rebrand but not understand, like, or appreciate the end product.  It is a matter of personal preference. The bottom line is the success of this marketing strategy will depend on the success of the teams that wear this new logo.  If the Dukes win and have great success it will be iconic, if they lose it will be remembered like the other "Ds" and logos of the past as discussed above.

Last edited by CLK (5/16/2019 10:49 am)

Board footera