Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/16/2019 10:34 am  #101

Re: Big Announcement

Wildwood13 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

Simms wrote:

Yells to wife:

"Whitney am I cool?"
Whitney: "No."  

Also, I would check out this link.  I think it does a nice job of explaining the rebrand.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/FiMahSptQosjr/

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I don't wanna tear anyone down that is skeptical of the logo. At my first glance, I thought it was real bad. But I saw it on some of the uniforms and it really popped.

It's gonna be hit or miss. I think Athletics should be extremely careful how they display it on everything. There's going to be a very fine line from when it looks b@d@$$ and when it'll look terrible and it's not going to please everyone, most notably I've noticed was AJ Hines. Just be open to it and when you see it in real life, youll learn to appreciate it I think.

And don't worry: Duquesne isn't changing the statue; they aren't changing the ring; they aren't changing the school logo; and you'll still be able to buy merch with the Gothic D on it

Let's see Oregon basketball the last two years have lost 13 games each season. Oregon football has had three different coaches the past three seasons and had the following record in the weak a** Pac 12, 2-7, 4-5 and 5-4. I would not call these perennial top five or twenty five results. All of this with the backing of Phil Knight. Could you please name me one recruit that Lebron has brought in. To date from what I can see is his best players have been from his old school or a kid no one wanted but West Liberty because of his injury status. You can have your opinions and I can have mine, but I guarantee you that if you walk down the street today, tomorrow or Five years from now, no one would know what school you were representing if you wore a hat with the new D,unless they win big. In contrast  if you walked down the same street or even out of town with the old D a lot more people would know what school it represents.

The past few years, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Villanova have been at the top of the basketball world and have not changed their uniforms drastically, so beside that powerhouse Oregon you speak of, who else has raised their game by going in this direction. In football it is even worse, Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Oklahoma, and as I mentioned before even after that horrific debacle at PSU, none of these schools have changed much to get an advantage over the other schools. I just can't  comprehend how this change attracts recruits.

Wow. By all means, pease keep your head buried in the sand

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/16/2019 11:46 am  #102

My first impression was that this was a miss. But I have worn every iteration of Dukes wearables since the sixties. Once I put on some of this new branding, I am going to like it because I will rock my school. It’s time for me to order some of these Spiritan, New Gothic, DUQUESNE shirts! Go Dukes!

5/16/2019 12:09 pm  #103

Agree with ya--bought my new hat last night. I have my 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s (etc) Dukes apparel tucked away close by in case I need a hug. One thing that's never changed--GO DUKES!

5/16/2019 12:45 pm  #104

yak-rbc wrote:

Wildwood13 wrote:

yak-rbc wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA

I don't wanna tear anyone down that is skeptical of the logo. At my first glance, I thought it was real bad. But I saw it on some of the uniforms and it really popped.

It's gonna be hit or miss. I think Athletics should be extremely careful how they display it on everything. There's going to be a very fine line from when it looks b@d@$$ and when it'll look terrible and it's not going to please everyone, most notably I've noticed was AJ Hines. Just be open to it and when you see it in real life, youll learn to appreciate it I think.

And don't worry: Duquesne isn't changing the statue; they aren't changing the ring; they aren't changing the school logo; and you'll still be able to buy merch with the Gothic D on it

Let's see Oregon basketball the last two years have lost 13 games each season. Oregon football has had three different coaches the past three seasons and had the following record in the weak a** Pac 12, 2-7, 4-5 and 5-4. I would not call these perennial top five or twenty five results. All of this with the backing of Phil Knight. Could you please name me one recruit that Lebron has brought in. To date from what I can see is his best players have been from his old school or a kid no one wanted but West Liberty because of his injury status. You can have your opinions and I can have mine, but I guarantee you that if you walk down the street today, tomorrow or Five years from now, no one would know what school you were representing if you wore a hat with the new D,unless they win big. In contrast  if you walked down the same street or even out of town with the old D a lot more people would know what school it represents.

The past few years, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Villanova have been at the top of the basketball world and have not changed their uniforms drastically, so beside that powerhouse Oregon you speak of, who else has raised their game by going in this direction. In football it is even worse, Alabama, Ohio State, Auburn, Oklahoma, and as I mentioned before even after that horrific debacle at PSU, none of these schools have changed much to get an advantage over the other schools. I just can't  comprehend how this change attracts recruits.

Wow. By all means, pease keep your head buried in the sand

Very intelligent reply, prove my points inaccurate, or keep your head buried up your body part. If you want to discuss then discuss, and if you don't have an intelligent rebuttal please don't comment on my post.

5/16/2019 12:52 pm  #105

I do not know specifically what causes recruits to go where. We can’t see what they think; we’re not in their home; we don’t talk to them on their visits. And from what I can tell it’s rare when recruits point to specific things as what drove or pushed them to make a decision one way or the other.

But I do know KD mentions LeBron and Nike for everybody. I see players flash their collections on Instagram like Eric Williams, like TDM, like Sin Carry of their shoe collections. I know that is basically *the ONE thing* 2020 recruits Zed Key and Jalen Bridges and one of the only things 2021 recruit Donovan Johnson knew about Duquesne. I would search for more but PSN’s search tool isn’t very good.

On to Oregon: The relationship with Nike began in 1995 and appears to change significantly in 1999 and 2006 to the modern Oregon marketing that we see today.

Oregon football hadn’t been to a bowl game from 1963-1989 and didn’t win the Pac-12 from 1957-1994. Orgeon basketball didn’t make the NCAAs from 1961-1995 and didn’t win a Pac 12 from 1945-2002. So I don’t know where in the hell is their success in their history, but it’s all about as old or older than Duquesne’s success in its history.

Since 1995 the football team has made a bowl game every year but 3 times, won 6 Pac-12 titles, won their division 2 other times, and made an FBS bowl 6 times and the national title game I think twice, with all but 1 of the major bowl appearances coming since 2009.

Since 1995, the men’s basketball team has made the NCAAs 11 times, including 4 Elite 8s (3 since 2006) and a Final Four, plus 3 regular season Pac 12 titles and 5 tournament titles.

Now, fancy schmancy uniforms do not win games. Players do. But Oregon drastically changed things up to get who they wanted. It was controversial and wildly different,but the players wanted to be loud and proud and it changed the culture at Oregon.

So please keep being an ignorant grumpy curmedgeon who fears all change

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

5/16/2019 1:31 pm  #106

yak-rbc wrote:

I do not know specifically what causes recruits to go where. We can’t see what they think; we’re not in their home; we don’t talk to them on their visits. And from what I can tell it’s rare when recruits point to specific things as what drove or pushed them to make a decision one way or the other.

But I do know KD mentions LeBron and Nike for everybody. I see players flash their collections on Instagram like Eric Williams, like TDM, like Sin Carry of their shoe collections. I know that is basically *the ONE thing* 2020 recruits Zed Key and Jalen Bridges and one of the only things 2021 recruit Donovan Johnson knew about Duquesne. I would search for more but PSN’s search tool isn’t very good.

On to Oregon: The relationship with Nike began in 1995 and appears to change significantly in 1999 and 2006 to the modern Oregon marketing that we see today.

Oregon football hadn’t been to a bowl game from 1963-1989 and didn’t win the Pac-12 from 1957-1994. Orgeon basketball didn’t make the NCAAs from 1961-1995 and didn’t win a Pac 12 from 1945-2002. So I don’t know where in the hell is their success in their history, but it’s all about as old or older than Duquesne’s success in its history.

Since 1995 the football team has made a bowl game every year but 3 times, won 6 Pac-12 titles, won their division 2 other times, and made an FBS bowl 6 times and the national title game I think twice, with all but 1 of the major bowl appearances coming since 2009.

Since 1995, the men’s basketball team has made the NCAAs 11 times, including 4 Elite 8s (3 since 2006) and a Final Four, plus 3 regular season Pac 12 titles and 5 tournament titles.

Now, fancy schmancy uniforms do not win games. Players do. But Oregon drastically changed things up to get who they wanted. It was controversial and wildly different,but the players wanted to be loud and proud and it changed the culture at Oregon.

So please keep being an ignorant grumpy curmedgeon who fears all change

Thanks dude, I didn’t have the time or patience to point out the obvious to him. Starting to think he just likes to argue.

5/16/2019 1:39 pm  #107

The bottom line is this:  Some people don't like the change and some do.  The old logo is from 2007.  It's not exactly like it's some old retro design that is beloved by many.  No one outside of Pittsburgh has seen it.  It isn't the Pitt script.  I think this rebrand can be great for the university.

That said, the people on this board are more than welcome to share their displeasure.  The ppl who post on here are the hardcore fans.  We bleed Red and Blue, despite the difficulty of being a fan.  Our ages vary tremendously, but I wouldn't say that opposing the new logo makes you grumpy or unwilling to change.  If you are a fan here, you should be allowed to pronounce your displesure with numerous parts of the athletics dept, logo included. 

Where I get angry is with the vast majority of Twitter users who come out and complain.  They have never been to Palumbo.  They can't name any teams in the A10.  They don't know our players or any of the past ones either.  These fans haven't earned the right to complain on social media IMO.  The only students who can speak up are the loyal RBC members, and they are small in number.

We all want this program to succeed.  The opening of the Coop is going to be a new era for our program.  I hope we can move forward in a positive manner. 

Also, here is an interview Harper did today on 93.7 the fan.  Dunlap loves the logo.  He has always been a Dukes fan since it was basically his first sports beat.  The anecdote about the Detroit Tigers is a strong one.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/duquesne-ad-harper-we-wanted-more-distinctive-look-one-didnt-create-confusion

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

5/16/2019 3:30 pm  #108

CLK wrote:

I am just one of those nasty curmudgeons.

I have always thought of you as more of a coot than a curmudgeon. 

5/16/2019 4:04 pm  #109

Simms wrote:

The bottom line is this:  Some people don't like the change and some do.  The old logo is from 2007.  It's not exactly like it's some old retro design that is beloved by many.  No one outside of Pittsburgh has seen it.  It isn't the Pitt script.  I think this rebrand can be great for the university.

That said, the people on this board are more than welcome to share their displeasure.  The ppl who post on here are the hardcore fans.  We bleed Red and Blue, despite the difficulty of being a fan.  Our ages vary tremendously, but I wouldn't say that opposing the new logo makes you grumpy or unwilling to change.  If you are a fan here, you should be allowed to pronounce your displesure with numerous parts of the athletics dept, logo included. 

Where I get angry is with the vast majority of Twitter users who come out and complain.  They have never been to Palumbo.  They can't name any teams in the A10.  They don't know our players or any of the past ones either.  These fans haven't earned the right to complain on social media IMO.  The only students who can speak up are the loyal RBC members, and they are small in number.

We all want this program to succeed.  The opening of the Coop is going to be a new era for our program.  I hope we can move forward in a positive manner. 

Also, here is an interview Harper did today on 93.7 the fan.  Dunlap loves the logo.  He has always been a Dukes fan since it was basically his first sports beat.  The anecdote about the Detroit Tigers is a strong one.

https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/duquesne-ad-harper-we-wanted-more-distinctive-look-one-didnt-create-confusion

Hmmm......I may be wrong but I could have sworn that Harper specifically said this was primarily done in an effort to appeal to recruits. He mentioned the value of the relationship with Nike, and even more specifically the Lebron James/Nike relationship and how it is beneficial to bringing the program to the next level in the eyes of recruits and the greater community at large. That it was one part of bringing the Athletic department to another level to get to where they are trying to go, being competitive.

But hey, what the hell does he know?

5/16/2019 4:12 pm  #110

Duques102 wrote:

Simms wrote:

The bottom line is this: Some people don't like the change and some do. The old logo is from 2007. It's not exactly like it's some old retro design that is beloved by many. No one outside of Pittsburgh has seen it. It isn't the Pitt script. I think this rebrand can be great for the university.

That said, the people on this board are more than welcome to share their displeasure. The ppl who post on here are the hardcore fans. We bleed Red and Blue, despite the difficulty of being a fan. Our ages vary tremendously, but I wouldn't say that opposing the new logo makes you grumpy or unwilling to change. If you are a fan here, you should be allowed to pronounce your displesure with numerous parts of the athletics dept, logo included.

Where I get angry is with the vast majority of Twitter users who come out and complain. They have never been to Palumbo. They can't name any teams in the A10. They don't know our players or any of the past ones either. These fans haven't earned the right to complain on social media IMO. The only students who can speak up are the loyal RBC members, and they are small in number.

We all want this program to succeed. The opening of the Coop is going to be a new era for our program. I hope we can move forward in a positive manner.

Also, here is an interview Harper did today on 93.7 the fan. Dunlap loves the logo. He has always been a Dukes fan since it was basically his first sports beat. The anecdote about the Detroit Tigers is a strong one.

Hmmm......I may be wrong but I could have sworn that Harper specifically said this was primarily done in an effort to appeal to recruits. He mentioned the value of the relationship with Nike, and even more specifically the Lebron James/Nike relationship and how it is beneficial to bringing the program to the next level in the eyes of recruits and the greater community at large. That it was one part of bringing the Athletic department to another level to get to where they are trying to go, being competitive.

I'm confused by this post and how it relates to mine.  I agree with all of those things you said.  I'm all for the rebrand.  I just think it's fair for people to be upset was all I am saying.  Change is hard for many people.  Go to the Facebook Duquesne basketball group and you will see the majority of the fans hate it.  I think they are very wrong, but then again, what do I know.  

5/16/2019 4:22 pm  #111

Simms wrote:

Duques102 wrote:

Simms wrote:

The bottom line is this: Some people don't like the change and some do. The old logo is from 2007. It's not exactly like it's some old retro design that is beloved by many. No one outside of Pittsburgh has seen it. It isn't the Pitt script. I think this rebrand can be great for the university.

That said, the people on this board are more than welcome to share their displeasure. The ppl who post on here are the hardcore fans. We bleed Red and Blue, despite the difficulty of being a fan. Our ages vary tremendously, but I wouldn't say that opposing the new logo makes you grumpy or unwilling to change. If you are a fan here, you should be allowed to pronounce your displesure with numerous parts of the athletics dept, logo included.

Where I get angry is with the vast majority of Twitter users who come out and complain. They have never been to Palumbo. They can't name any teams in the A10. They don't know our players or any of the past ones either. These fans haven't earned the right to complain on social media IMO. The only students who can speak up are the loyal RBC members, and they are small in number.

We all want this program to succeed. The opening of the Coop is going to be a new era for our program. I hope we can move forward in a positive manner.

Also, here is an interview Harper did today on 93.7 the fan. Dunlap loves the logo. He has always been a Dukes fan since it was basically his first sports beat. The anecdote about the Detroit Tigers is a strong one.

I'm confused by this post and how it relates to mine.  I agree with all of those things you said.  I'm all for the rebrand.  I just think it's fair for people to be upset was all I am saying.  Change is hard for many people.  Go to the Facebook Duquesne basketball group and you will see the majority of the fans hate it.  I think they are very wrong, but then again, what do I know.  

Just referencing the link in your post because it contains the interview I’m referencing. That’s all, We’re on the same page!

Last edited by Duques102 (5/16/2019 4:23 pm)

5/16/2019 5:57 pm  #112

townsonkid wrote:

So did everyone make it thru the night, no nightmares or violent D showing up in your dreams?
Were you haunted by the old script D?

I think we'll be okay!   :-)))

TKid -
I had a rough night.
Sweat the bed.
Dreamt of Gothic Ds lost in the wilderness on a 40+ year journey.
Hoping for a more restful sleep tonight.

5/16/2019 7:10 pm  #113

As a current Student, I love the new logo. The only issue I have with the entire rebrand is the use of the "electric blue". As long as it is used as an accent color, it's a good look. The accent hypocycloids (the stars) along the neck and arm lines of the white "Duquesne" jersey are amazing. I personally do not like the navy and electric blue jersey because it just doesn't scream Duquesne. I'd want to see that jersey template and flip the colors to black and gold. 

All in all, this is the next generation Duquesne. Get on board, the DamBoat is sailing away.  

5/16/2019 7:20 pm  #114

Box & One wrote:

townsonkid wrote:

So did everyone make it thru the night, no nightmares or violent D showing up in your dreams?
Were you haunted by the old script D?

I think we'll be okay!   :-)))

TKid -
I had a rough night.
Sweat the bed.
Dreamt of Gothic Ds lost in the wilderness on a 40+ year journey.
Hoping for a more restful sleep tonight.

This was also hilarious.

May you peacefully find your way through the dark times. Go Dukes

5/16/2019 9:12 pm  #115

DuqTubaKid wrote:

As a current Student, I love the new logo. The only issue I have with the entire rebrand is the use of the "electric blue". As long as it is used as an accent color, it's a good look. The accent hypocycloids (the stars) along the neck and arm lines of the white "Duquesne" jersey are amazing. I personally do not like the navy and electric blue jersey because it just doesn't scream Duquesne. I'd want to see that jersey template and flip the colors to black and gold. 

All in all, this is the next generation Duquesne. Get on board, the DamBoat is sailing away.  

Black and gold are not our colors.

5/17/2019 6:11 am  #116

DuqTubaKid wrote:

YINZER ALERT...You are a true yinzer if: You go to church services  wearing your steeler jersey on game day. 2. On your dates with wife or girl she wears the Penguins away jersey & you wear the home jersey. 3. After a Steeler loss you call the post game shows rant & rave and criticizes the teams performance by telling the sports host WE did this We can’t do this WE We We hello not on roster. 4. Start drinking your Iron City @ the tailgate beginning 800 a.am. ( I forgot you bring your football to throw in the parking lot. Watch the tailgaters trays why is that you can’t throw. 5. Your favorite tune is “ Here We Go Steelers” This my friend is why Duquesne should never wear Black & Gold

5/17/2019 7:03 am  #117

It looks like a piece of whale dung.

5/17/2019 8:13 am  #118

This was on the Pitt board as to what it should be. I have to give the guy credit, great post.

5/17/2019 8:16 am  #119

VBC wrote:

CLK wrote:

I am just one of those nasty curmudgeons.

I have always thought of you as more of a coot than a curmudgeon. 

Thank you my friend, I am somewhat eccentric.  However, Ironduke81 and I discussed this topic thoroughly, consulter with experts, and conclude that we are curmudgeons.   

5/17/2019 8:18 am  #120

Ironduke81 wrote:

DuqTubaKid wrote:

YINZER ALERT...You are a true yinzer if: You go to church services wearing your steeler jersey on game day. 2. On your dates with wife or girl she wears the Penguins away jersey & you wear the home jersey. 3. After a Steeler loss you call the post game shows rant & rave and criticizes the teams performance by telling the sports host WE did this We can’t do this WE We We hello not on roster. 4. Start drinking your Iron City @ the tailgate beginning 800 a.am. ( I forgot you bring your football to throw in the parking lot. Watch the tailgaters trays why is that you can’t throw. 5. Your favorite tune is “ Here We Go Steelers” This my friend is why Duquesne should never wear Black & Gold

Still laughing, great post.  

5/17/2019 8:20 am  #121

duq81 wrote:

This was on the Pitt board as to what it should be. I have to give the guy credit, great post.

That my friend is Iconic.

5/17/2019 9:22 am  #122

Ironduke81 wrote:

DuqTubaKid wrote:

YINZER ALERT...You are a true yinzer if: You go to church services wearing your steeler jersey on game day. 2. On your dates with wife or girl she wears the Penguins away jersey & you wear the home jersey. 3. After a Steeler loss you call the post game shows rant & rave and criticizes the teams performance by telling the sports host WE did this We can’t do this WE We We hello not on roster. 4. Start drinking your Iron City @ the tailgate beginning 800 a.am. ( I forgot you bring your football to throw in the parking lot. Watch the tailgaters trays why is that you can’t throw. 5. Your favorite tune is “ Here We Go Steelers” This my friend is why Duquesne should never wear Black & Gold

Laughing out loud!!  One SMALL CORRECTION -  "If the local teams LOSE (i.e. Pirates, Steelers, Penquins -  LOSE they are still "THEY" -- Only if the teams WIN are they :"WE"  - sort of like the Golf Caddie who says :"WE were four under par -  then HE hits two shots out of bounds and one into the lake.

5/17/2019 10:41 am  #123

People will do anything they can to sabotage this program.   People wanted leadership and they got it.   This isn’t leadership by committee.   

The Facebook comments on this topic from people are plain ridiculous. I’ll never buy it!   I’ll never donate!!   I’ll never go to game again!!  Fire everyone!

The gothic D was NEVER the official primary logo of the athletic department. It was a secondary logo when the caped Duke mascot came into  existence and was rarely used before the last two years. 

But people just ignore facts and continue on with their “Kennywood Cheese” fake outrage.   And you know the vast majority have never stepped foot inside Palumbo or Rooney.

Last edited by A83 (5/17/2019 10:55 am)

5/17/2019 12:11 pm  #124

rittersdiner wrote:

It looks like a piece of whale dung.

That's more positive feedback than I expected from you honestly.

5/17/2019 12:12 pm  #125

A83 wrote:

People will do anything they can to sabotage this program.   People wanted leadership and they got it.   This isn’t leadership by committee.   

The Facebook comments on this topic from people are plain ridiculous. I’ll never buy it!   I’ll never donate!!   I’ll never go to game again!!  Fire everyone!

The gothic D was NEVER the official primary logo of the athletic department. It was a secondary logo when the caped Duke mascot came into  existence and was rarely used before the last two years. 

But people just ignore facts and continue on with their “Kennywood Cheese” fake outrage.   And you know the vast majority have never stepped foot inside Palumbo or Rooney.

This × 1000.  I don't get the obsession with the Gothic D.  As A83 points out, it wasn't even our primary logo!  I'm fine with posters here complaining (as I think they are pretty hardcore fans) but some of the comments on Twitter and FB are hilarious.

Board footera