Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/25/2013 8:04 pm  #1

Q Winters going the JUCO route

Cavan Walsh ‏@cavwalsh Quevyn Winters a 6-5 Gd/Fwd has signed w/ Indian Hills - Averaged 9.6 ppg at Duquesne last year

5/25/2013 8:15 pm  #2

Re: Q Winters going the JUCO route

Probably a smart move if his goal is to play at a big school. No big school was going to take him as a transfer from Duquesne. This gives him a chance to prove himself, and maybe get some attention.

5/25/2013 9:06 pm  #3

duq81 wrote:

Probably a smart move if his goal is to play at a big school. No big school was going to take him as a transfer from Duquesne. This gives him a chance to prove himself, and maybe get some attention.

Hey Stevie, going to let this one slide by?

5/26/2013 6:41 am  #4

ElDuque wrote:

duq81 wrote:

Hey Stevie, going to let this one slide by?

I don't see the problem with my statement. The kid had an ok year on a bad team. Robert Mitchell had an outstanding freshman year on a slightly better team, and he ended up at Seton Hall, a BCS school, but hardly a power. The thought expressed by some that Q might end up at a powerhouse like Marquette was beyond laughable. If Duquesne took some 6'5" kid who averaged 9 points a game at St. Francis, this board would lose it's collective mind.

5/26/2013 7:03 am  #5

I don't see a problem either duq81. As I've been saying ... we are #3 in the city of Pittsburgh and #16 in the A-10 until further notice. We may even be behind St. Francis at this point. But Stevie seems to think that reality checks are "bashing the program."

Although I'll disagree with you to this extent: If you see video of the kid, you have to like his game. I really was sorry to see him leave. Maybe Marquette would snub its nose at him right now, but I think he could play there and do well. I hope he ends up at a good school and has a nice finish to his career. 

Mitchell, though very talented, was a ticking time bomb. It seems appropriate that after Gonzalez recruited him illegally that Sticks helped blow up his coaching career.

5/26/2013 9:03 am  #6

Where he's coming from has nothing to do with where he ends up. If a big school thought Q had enough talent to contribute and was the right kind of player, they'd take him from Houston Baptist.

5/26/2013 10:54 am  #7

Winters said he wanted to transfer close to home.  He went on official visit and was offered a scholarship by Milwaukee.  It leads me to conclude he either did not qualify or wants a higher offer.

5/26/2013 10:56 am  #8

steve19981 wrote:

Where he's coming from has nothing to do with where he ends up. If a big school thought Q had enough talent to contribute and was the right kind of player, they'd take him from Houston Baptist.

I think people ar misinterpreting my post. It's not just the fact that he's coming from Duquesne, it's the fact that he was a middling player on a bad team, and that he plays a position that isn't particularly difficult to fill. If Q had been outstanding, of course better programs would have been interested. If he had posted a similar scoring average as a 6'11" 250 pound center, again, he would have gotten interest, because decent players of that size are a rare breed. 6'5" guys who can score 8-10 points a game are a dime a dozen.

5/26/2013 1:53 pm  #9

duq81, I think you're selling Winters short. He average 7 ppg and could have averaged more, except Colter had to get his 20-25 shots per game. Plus he was a very well recruited player in HS. But we can agree to disagree.

5/26/2013 4:59 pm  #10

ElDuque wrote:

duq81, I think you're selling Winters short. He average 7 ppg and could have averaged more, except Colter had to get his 20-25 shots per game. Plus he was a very well recruited player in HS. But we can agree to disagree.

ED, I think he's a nice player, and one that has potential, but when you're Marquette, you can do better. Marquette goes after, and lands 4 star players. That's why they go dancing every year, and were competitive in the deepest league in the country. Damian Saunders was a Marquette recruit. He's the second best player we've had in 15 years. They get guys like him every year. Q wasn't that level of recruit. Of course some guys do develop and become much greater than what they were coming out of high school. Kyle O'Quinn comes to mind. However, schools generally follow the odds, and highly rated players turn out to be the real deal at a much higher rate than guys who were lightly recruited.

5/28/2013 7:53 am  #11

Wishing Q the very best. IMO, the best recruit that we brought in last year. I don't believe his departure reflected poorly on our program, at least.

Board footera