Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/14/2019 8:42 pm  #1

Hill district construction

https://www.post-gazette.com/business/development/2019/06/14/new-park-over-I-579-to-bridge-Downtown-pittsburgh-Hill-District/stories/201906140069

How do you guys think this new development will affect Duquesne?  I think it is really going to help our campus grow and improve.  I'm excited for the future of my Alma mater!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/15/2019 7:41 am  #2

Re: Hill district construction

Somewhat unrelated but i was on campus last Sunday with my daughter for a college visit  (doing what  i can to get another to join the club)and it has really changed a lot. Beautiful campus..kids i spoke to loved it...i was telling them they need to attend basketball games

6/16/2019 7:25 pm  #3

For a long time in Pittsburgh, what was good for the Universities was good for the city. Now, the economic, cultural and civic (no pun intended) developments will help Duquesne hopefully attract more students in a hyper competitive landscape. I'm glad all of these projects are finally kicking off.

6/17/2019 6:40 am  #4

Agree Simms and Vickroy one of the things that gives it a better campus feel is Rooney although I am still hoping that someday we outgrow it! Bring your daughter to the homecoming game this year Oct 5th for a great campus experience! Thanks for sharing your post everyone and Go Dukes and all versions of the D!

6/18/2019 7:02 am  #5

From the looks from the photos in the PG, I dont think it will hurt anything DU related.  Traffic might get a bit worse around the area, but maybe not.  To add anything nice and new is a positive.  The Coop + this development should really make the whole area look a lot nicer.  And maybe, by then, Forbes Ave near Mercy will be fixed!!!  :-)

6/21/2019 9:04 pm  #6

About 20 years ago, Duquesne was looking into starting a medical school.  It was actually in the original school charter to do so from 1911.

At the same time, Mercy Hospital was deciding whether to fold or join WPMC. 

Dr. Murray decided against the risk. 

There should be a Duquesne Mercy Medical Center aaa part of The Allegheny Health System to anchor this area.  It would have increased Duquesne reputation, alumni fundraising with some well off docs and would have changed the University footprint for the better.

Yes, Coffee is going History again...

Last edited by coffee (6/21/2019 9:08 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

6/22/2019 10:59 am  #7

That opportunity is still present if Duquesne were willing to invest a ton (and I mean a ton) of money into it.  Temple was going to make a medical school facility with AGH but they backed out recently.  Duquesne's educational future should focus on engineering (robotics), medicine, and computer science.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

6/24/2019 8:45 am  #8

They may decide to launch a medical school but they lost the chance to merge it with Mercy Hospital right next door. 

Location, location, location...

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

Board footera