Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/21/2019 7:07 pm  #1

Your 3 favorite Dukes' games

While we're waiting for the new season and all  the excitement that goes with it, thought it would be fun to share our (3) favorite Dukes games (ever).  Being out of state, I can't make it to nearly as many games as most or all  of you, but here are my three favorites:

#3- Duquesne's shocking win over nationally ranked Ohio State (71-67) late Dec. 2010 in Columbus.  I sat surrounded by obnoxious OSU fans who (at the beginning  of the game) were calling the Dukes "light-weight" and hoping their big stars- Jantel Lavender and Samantha Phrahallis (sp) would just kick butt.  Wumi played Lavender almost even the entire game but what I remember most was Kelli Britcher's 3-point dagger from the corner with about 10 seconds left and Ohio State's inability to score at the end.  Best part for me was hearing the obnoxious fans commend the Dukes after the game- "They wanted it more than us" and "Did you see their bench- how everyone was up on their feet after every basket and we had no energy?"

#2- The home game when Duquesne FINALLY defeated 'nasty' West Virginia (61-55) - Dec. 2011.  I remember Duquesne was down 15 points, maybe more against the Mountaineers.  They were just so physically aggressive, but the Dukes mounted a HUGE 2nd half run (it was not a pretty game but a grind it out game).  I remember Wumi getting hammered every time she went up for a shot, but she delivered.  I also remember Carly Vendemia (not the most graceful of players), using her wide body and strength to push W. VA players aside and grab some key boards, Ahjah Hall, Orsi and Alex all contributing.  I loved the look on Mike Carey's face when the horn sounded to end the game. LOL!  I could be wrong, but I think the very next season we beat them against down in Morgantown.

#1- We flew up to Storrs, Conn, sat with fellow Dukes' fans and watched (for me) the best performance Duquese has put together for two halves (97-67) over Seton Hall, March 19, 2016.  What can I say?  DevaNyar (25 points and 12 rebounds), Amadea (16 points), Kadri Ann (20) and April (15 points, 7 assists).  Somewhere near the end a Dukes fan yelled "Bring on UConn!"  Loved it!  Magical season.

So what are your favorites?

6/22/2019 11:07 am  #2

Re: Your 3 favorite Dukes' games

I've had season tickets for over 20 years & missed very few home games - as in no more than 1-2 per season - but unfortunately I don't have as good a memory for details as our friend Sperlman.  After 61 years, I can tell you everything about the 1968 World Series but can't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.  It's hard to narrow it down to 3, so before I do so I'll give you finalists:

#1 - Jan. 1, 2000, the first day of the new millennium, the final season for basketball at the Pitt Field House where Duquesne defeated Pitt.  It was cool seeing them celebrate after the game the middle of Pitt's home court. I said to myself, this is how I want to remember the Field House & I'll never go there again.

# 2 -I don't remember the year but we hosted Pitt at the Palumbo & I sat next to an obnoxious Pitt fan who kept heckling our players (real mature to do that to college kids) & hollering, "POINTS IN THE PAINT! POINTS IN THE PAINT!" as if they counted for 10 points each.  At one point, Candace Futrell said something to him before getting ready for a foul shot.  DU won big, & before cutting out early, the frustrated fan asked me what our record was.

#3 - Again I'm fuzzy on the year but DU was beating Robert Morris at the Palumbo by 1 point, with RM getting ready to inbound near DU's basket in the waning seconds.  Coach Durkin inserted his tallest player, 6-5, seldom-used Selma Delibasic to block the inbound pass - which she did.  The ball rolled on the floor harmlessly as the final buzzer sounded, & when the team swarmed her, it was a victory for underdogs everywhere.

#4 - The 2015 WNIT game at home vs. Richmond.  Dukes up 48-47 when it appeared that Richmond had driven to the basket to score the winning lay-up at the buzzer - but no, Amadea Szamosi took the charge.

#5 - In the NCAA tournament year, when we beat Dayton at home rather handily.  I used to say Dayton was to the Dukes what the Cardinals were to the Pirates in 2013-15 - we were good, but Dayton was always just a little bit better.  Now finally it looked like we the A-10's top dog.

#6 - The NCAA tournament, beating Seton Hall convincingly & proving we deserved a much higher seed.

#7 - Again the NCAA tournament, altho' UConn beat us rather decisively, when it was all over it was cool hearing the national media say that DU was the only team to have a lead over UConn in the entire tourney as UConn breezed to the national title.

#8 - Every time we beat Pitt during Susie's tenure there.

Now for the finalists:  I'll go with 3 (meaningless game in the end but I'm a bit of a sentimentalist), 4, & 6

6/22/2019 11:24 am  #3

I've been a Season Ticket Holder the last four years -  before that I would go to a few games per year - was given some free bees as part of my men's tickets, some doubleheaders - some WNIT games the ladies hosted.

1.  FAR AND AWAY is the Seton Hall BLOWOUT -  In addition to all the points Sperlman made -  NORMALLY 8-9 games are supposed to be CLOSE -  the lopsided margin of victory says it all.

2. Early in that season the Ladies played St. Johns at home -  St Johns was regarded as a possible NCAA Team that year -  as a casual fan I had to wonder WHY they were expected to be so good -  It looked like they had a lightning quick back court so I presumed they got a lot of steals - easy lay ups etc.  April MIGHT have had ONE turnover - more likely it was zero - For most of the game it was almost a LAY UP DRILL for the ladies -  when in the garage afterwards going to my car - just said to another couple in the elevator "WOW"

3. This years win in the A-10 Tourney against St. Louis -  I figured the team needed to at least make it to the league finals to have a shot at the WNIT -  was hoping if nothing else they could keep the streak alive - Coupled with the fact that perhaps St. Louis "stole one" the previous year in the league tournament - AND they beat the ladies in a close one at Palumbo in the regular season -  AND they did have a pretty decent team this year as well -  the blowout win was satisfying and memorable - Unfortunately the ladies followed that one with one of the worst games in the Dan Burt Era - Fordham seemingly couldn't miss -  DU couldn't buy a basket (for most of the day)

6/22/2019 2:21 pm  #4

1. One is the Seton Hall game.  Couldn’t get Friday off so I left at like 2am and drove there.   Got there just in time for UConn/RMC.    Enjoyed every single moment of the game including watching Coach Burt being interviewed by Doris Burke.   I believe Chassidy scored and then ab inbound steal by April in the middle of the third quarter run.  April scored and that run put game away.  When I got home and watched the game, they totally missed the inbounds steak and bucket on TV.   It took them like 30 seconds for the score big to catch up.  I ate pizza after the game and drove back home and got home exactly at 2am.

2.  The St Johns mentioned above for the same reason.  St Johns came out and looked so fast and talented.   And DU took it to them.  St Johns was a tournament team that year.   I knew after that game the team was something special.

3. The UMass game of the same year.   Down 10 with like 5 minutes left.  April sick.   Dev Workman hitting the buzzer beater to tie it.   And April willing the team to victory.  Maybe don’t get an at large bid if we lose that game.   

4. Honorable mentions.  Korie Hdele putting up (I believe) 46 against URI at home.   Beating Pitt anytime.   Upsetting then I believe Number 11 WVU in A10 tournament with the game played at WVU.  That was I believe that was DU’s 3rd yr in Division 1. And the A10 women were a beast that year with ranked WVU, Rutgers and Penn State. 

Also VCU game this year.   Big comeback, tie at the buzzer winning in OT.

Last edited by A83 (6/22/2019 2:44 pm)

6/22/2019 7:32 pm  #5

A83 wrote:

1. One is the Seton Hall game. Couldn’t get Friday off so I left at like 2am and drove there. Got there just in time for UConn/RMC. Enjoyed every single moment of the game including watching Coach Burt being interviewed by Doris Burke. I believe Chassidy scored and then ab inbound steal by April in the middle of the third quarter run. April scored and that run put game away. When I got home and watched the game, they totally missed the inbounds steak and bucket on TV. It took them like 30 seconds for the score big to catch up. I ate pizza after the game and drove back home and got home exactly at 2am.

2. The St Johns mentioned above for the same reason. St Johns came out and looked so fast and talented. And DU took it to them. St Johns was a tournament team that year. I knew after that game the team was something special.

3. The UMass game of the same year. Down 10 with like 5 minutes left. April sick. Dev Workman hitting the buzzer beater to tie it. And April willing the team to victory. Maybe don’t get an at large bid if we lose that game.

4. Honorable mentions. Korie Hdele putting up (I believe) 46 against URI at home. Beating Pitt anytime. Upsetting then I believe Number 11 WVU in A10 tournament with the game played at WVU. That was I believe that was DU’s 3rd yr in Division 1. And the A10 women were a beast that year with ranked WVU, Rutgers and Penn State.

Also VCU game this year. Big comeback, tie at the buzzer winning in OT.

Would like to share a memory of the UMass game A83 mentioned above -  near the end of the game UMass tried to inbound the ball and roll it up the court -  WORKMAN STOLE IT AND WENT IN FOR A THREE POINT PLAY!! I've NEVER seen anything like THAT!! -  most teams are afraid to even "bluff" going for a steal -  Around that time when the men were in the CBI -  Ferry let the other team ROLL THE BALL UP THE COURT THE WHOLE SECOND HALF -  DU GAVE UP LIKE 161 POINTS AND WON COMFORTABLY!!!!

6/22/2019 7:54 pm  #6

A83 wrote:

1. One is the Seton Hall game. Couldn’t get Friday off so I left at like 2am and drove there. Got there just in time for UConn/RMC. Enjoyed every single moment of the game including watching Coach Burt being interviewed by Doris Burke. I believe Chassidy scored and then ab inbound steal by April in the middle of the third quarter run. April scored and that run put game away. When I got home and watched the game, they totally missed the inbounds steak and bucket on TV. It took them like 30 seconds for the score big to catch up. I ate pizza after the game and drove back home and got home exactly at 2am.

2. The St Johns mentioned above for the same reason. St Johns came out and looked so fast and talented. And DU took it to them. St Johns was a tournament team that year. I knew after that game the team was something special.

3. The UMass game of the same year. Down 10 with like 5 minutes left. April sick. Dev Workman hitting the buzzer beater to tie it. And April willing the team to victory. Maybe don’t get an at large bid if we lose that game.

4. Honorable mentions. Korie Hdele putting up (I believe) 46 against URI at home. Beating Pitt anytime. Upsetting then I believe Number 11 WVU in A10 tournament with the game played at WVU. That was I believe that was DU’s 3rd yr in Division 1. And the A10 women were a beast that year with ranked WVU, Rutgers and Penn State.

Also VCU game this year. Big comeback, tie at the buzzer winning in OT.

To A83- You mentioning the UMass game reminded me of an away game @ UMass (can't remember the year) in the dead of Winter.  Think I watched the game on the UMass video link.  There could not have been more than 100 fans in the Arena.  UMass had a lead with a few second to play.  One of the Dukes players inbounded the ball to Alex Gensler who was more than half-court away.  She heaved the ball, went off the back board and IN, (forcing OT, I believe).  The Dukes went on the win the game.

Would you or anyone else happen to remember the particulars?  

6/23/2019 4:23 pm  #7

I remember the UMass game you are speaking of.   I was following along on game tracker.   It was a half court shot.   I don’t remember who.  Gensler probably.  There was no TV coverage or video of the half court shot.

6/23/2019 6:56 pm  #8

Assistant Coach Rachel gave me a video of the game.  I know it was Alex who made the shot, but all my stuff is packed right now so I can't recall the date.

You are absolutely correct that the announcers for the Duquesne-Seton Hall game totally missed the inbounds steal and layup, but overall, I enjoyed their commentary.  Can't remember the name of Doris Burke's broadcast partner, but I thought he had the greatest line when Duquesne went on that great run and he said "Seton Hall is in a lot of trouble". 

Nice memories.

Board footera