Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/29/2013 11:11 am  #1

Frankies back on schedule

Matt Maisel ‏@Matt_Maisel St. Francis mens basketball announces non-conf schedule -- featured home games w/ Duquesne, Navy (& Ed DeChellis), and Mount Aloysius

Good to see the Frankies back on the schedule.  I would like to see one of our Dukes do a Guziak repeat this year. 

I also saw last week where we have an away game with UMass Lowell

Matt Langone ‏@MattLangone 24 May UMass Lowell men's hoop has also solidified contracts to host non-league games against Duquesne, Brown and Dartmouth next season.

Last edited by CLK (5/29/2013 11:25 am)

5/29/2013 12:35 pm  #2

Re: Frankies back on schedule

UMass Lowell?

5/29/2013 1:12 pm  #3

CLK wrote:

Matt Maisel ‏@Matt_Maisel St. Francis mens basketball announces non-conf schedule -- featured home games w/ Duquesne, Navy (& Ed DeChellis), and Mount Aloysius

Good to see the Frankies back on the schedule.  I would like to see one of our Dukes do a Guziak repeat this year. 

Matt Langone ‏@MattLangone 24 May UMass Lowell men's hoop has also solidified contracts to host non-league games against Duquesne, Brown and Dartmouth next season.

I guess I'll have to dust off my, "Back to the Woodschant

5/29/2013 1:15 pm  #4

CLK wrote:

After the stunt they pulled a few years ago, there is no way they should ever get a home game vs us again, and why on earth are we playing UMass-Lowell on the road? This is pissing me off.

5/29/2013 1:34 pm  #5

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

After the stunt they pulled a few years ago, there is no way they should ever get a home game vs us again, and why on earth are we playing UMass-Lowell on the road? This is pissing me off.

Please enlighten me about the stunt ?

5/29/2013 1:47 pm  #6

St. Francis pulled out of the long standing series a couple of years ago and I believe we had to go to Houston Baptist to find a replacement game.

5/29/2013 2:08 pm  #7

Never heard of UMass-Lowell. I assume it is a branch campus of UMass. Does anyone know anything about them?

5/29/2013 2:40 pm  #8

UMass - Lowell is a D2 school that plays in something called the Northeast 10 conference.   At least they did last year.

I wonder if that tweet is correct.  They didn't play any D1 programs in men's basketball last year.  Home or away.   And now they have three D1 teams scheduled at home? 

Last edited by duqkurt (5/29/2013 2:44 pm)

5/29/2013 2:46 pm  #9

Dukes go "On The Road" to Lowell MA the birthplace of Jack Kerouac.

5/29/2013 4:20 pm  #10

duqkurt wrote:

St. Francis pulled out of the long standing series a couple of years ago and I believe we had to go to Houston Baptist to find a replacement game.

They did it late too. Left us in a bind.

5/29/2013 4:23 pm  #11

According to Steve on the Yuku board, it's The Terriers of SF(NY), not the Red Flash. That makes more sense if Ferry would like to recruit in NYC.

5/29/2013 4:45 pm  #12

Steve is wrong.! It is the Frankies.

http://sfuathletics.com/news/2013/5/29/MBB_0529133044.aspx

5/29/2013 4:49 pm  #13

CLK wrote:

Ugh!

5/29/2013 5:10 pm  #14

CLK wrote:

That's your opinion.

Just kidding, BTW. No one bite my head off.

5/29/2013 5:36 pm  #15

Oops. I thought the Red Flash were NY.

5/29/2013 6:09 pm  #16

steve19981 wrote:

Oops. I thought the Red Flash were NY.

No problem.  Red has a NY connection, sort of.  The Johnnies use to be the Redmen as I recall, now The Red Storm.

5/29/2013 6:57 pm  #17

Duquesne played the Loretto, PA guys every year way back when.

This game is probably better than some of the other pre-conference stuff we have seen the last few years. SFU Is scheduling non-con D1 games and so is apparently trying to bring back what was a good small college program from decades ago.

Maybe they will succeed while DU gets back up the ramp at the mid-major level.

5/29/2013 9:44 pm  #18

The NY St. Francis program is the Terriors, I think. Little foo-foo dogs. Great choice for a mascot.

I'm still preplexed by UMass-Lowell. How many UMassholes do we need to play? And a DII program? What is up with that?

The women's team is supposedly playing some big-time team.

5/30/2013 5:55 am  #19

ElDuque wrote:

The NY St. Francis program is the Terriors, I think. Little foo-foo dogs. Great choice for a mascot.

I'm still preplexed by UMass-Lowell. How many UMassholes do we need to play? And a DII program? What is up with that?

The women's team is supposedly playing some big-time team.

ED, terriers are anything but "little foo-foo dogs. They are extremely game, and include such monsters as the huge Airedale, and of course the baddest dogs on the planet, the various members of the Pit Bull Terrier family.

Who you calling a foo-foo dog? Bet you won't say it to my face!

Last edited by duq81 (5/30/2013 5:44 pm)

5/30/2013 8:10 am  #20

UMass-Lowell's hockey team was here for the Frozen Four.
Irish Micky Ward is from Lowell.
Aerosmith sings of Lowell.

thats about all I know.

5/30/2013 9:57 am  #21

townsonkid wrote:

UMass-Lowell's hockey team was here for the Frozen Four.
Irish Micky Ward is from Lowell.
Aerosmith sings of Lowell.

thats about all I know.

You could be D1 in hockey and D2 in other sports.  That is how they get more teams to compete in hockey.   

Someone on Yuku stated they are moving to the America East conference, hence they're scheduling of D1 opponents.

Last edited by duqkurt (5/30/2013 12:03 pm)

5/30/2013 11:53 am  #22

That was me duqkurt.  UMass-Lowell is joining the America East and will be a D1 opponent.

Given they were 2 games under 500 in a D2 conference, it sure looks like a cupcake on paper regardless.  The only thing is it will count against our RPI SOS and also give us a D1 win (hopefully).

Last edited by rogabee (5/30/2013 11:53 am)

5/30/2013 12:04 pm  #23

rogabee wrote:

That was me duqkurt.  UMass-Lowell is joining the America East and will be a D1 opponent.

Given they were 2 games under 500 in a D2 conference, it sure looks like a cupcake on paper regardless.  The only thing is it will count against our RPI SOS and also give us a D1 win (hopefully).

Thanks.  Don't schools usually transition that move by playing some D1 opponents prior to making the jump.   They played none last year.  

5/30/2013 12:09 pm  #24

UMass-Lowell, or UML, has a nice arena called Tsongas Center.  The arena hosted the A-10 Womens' Basketball Championship two years ago.  I saw Duquesne and Coach Suzie Mc Connell-Serio lose their game to Dayton.  This arena is a very easy place to get to.  There is a nice parking garage across the traffic circle.  I went up to UML's trophy case.  They are no slouches.  They have more than one NCAA Champoinship trophy in ice hockey.  You Pittsburghers correct me, if I am mistaken, UML played in the Frozen 4 NCAA Ice Hockey Champonships at the Consol Center last April.

5/30/2013 12:23 pm  #25

One other thing about the Tsongas Center, you won't believe how high the price of food and drink is at the concession center.  I thought the Redox were expensive!  Nevertheless, this is a perfect game, if on a weekend, for Duquesne's alumni department to sponsor a get-together for Duquesne fans prior to the game.  Certainly there are scads of Duquesne graduates in Boston.  This would be the perfect time to show those fans the "new look" Duquesne players.  We need to get Duquesne fans to the away games.  Let's go Duquesne (after we enjoy summer).

Board footera