Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/02/2019 9:30 am  #1

Nike???

So Nike cancelled a line of shoes with the original 13 star US flag on it, because Colin Kapernick, who wears a Fidel Castro shirt, doesn't like it and calls it "offensive."

Not buying one DU item as long as they are going to wear Nike.

My checkbook is closed!

Cancelling the four season tickets I buy for others every year.

Sadly, I realize that no matter how much uproar is made, DU will not make the change because we have to kiss Lebron's ass!

Just my view!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

7/02/2019 10:12 am  #2

Re: Nike???

I dont think its possible for me to care any less about this subject.
Zero uproar from me.

7/02/2019 12:19 pm  #3

townsonkid wrote:

Zero uproar from me.

This.    100% this.

7/02/2019 12:31 pm  #4

townsonkid wrote:

Zero uproar from me.

I'm in the same boat.

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

7/02/2019 12:37 pm  #5

Tejas_Duke wrote:

So Nike cancelled a line of shoes with the original 13 star US flag on it, because Colin Kapernick, who wears a Fidel Castro shirt, doesn't like it and calls it "offensive."

Not buying one DU item as long as they are going to wear Nike.

My checkbook is closed!

Cancelling the four season tickets I buy for others every year.

Sadly, I realize that no matter how much uproar is made, DU will not make the change because we have to kiss Lebron's ass!

Just my view!

Bye

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

7/02/2019 12:39 pm  #6

I do not believe in cutting off my nose to spite my face!
Ditto for me on this. Don't care about what Nike did or didn't do.
I care only about the success of our BB program.
GO DUKES!!

7/02/2019 1:11 pm  #7

Just buy the non-Nike merchandise.   

7/02/2019 1:30 pm  #8

I hope Tejas will reconsider. I agree Nike made a bad decision--bad for their business. Supposedly the American flag version on the shoes has been adopted by some racist groups but Nike isn't saying this is the reason for pulling the shoes explicitly. I guess they still want to sell shoes to racists as well as non-racists. After all, they're in the business to sell (overpriced, IMO) shoes. These shoes were going for $140 retail. All they had to do is put a note on or in the box that the flag was picked for historical value and not to promote any cause other than the country and they could still make their bucks. Instead, they will lose millions.

Last edited by scduke (7/02/2019 8:02 pm)

7/02/2019 1:59 pm  #9

He was a lousey quarterback not worth dropping the Dukes over that idiot

7/02/2019 2:28 pm  #10

townsonkid wrote:

Zero uproar from me.

yep

7/02/2019 2:54 pm  #11

Tejas:  One would think you would be more concerned over the NFL's Treatment (no job in X years) with Kapernick as opposed to Nike's canceling a line of shoes --  I suppose THIS means you will NOT watch any NFL games  

7/02/2019 2:56 pm  #12

As Dean Wormer would say,

"Zero point zero"

Last edited by rosceaux (7/02/2019 2:56 pm)

7/02/2019 4:16 pm  #13

SkepticAl wrote:

Tejas:  One would think you would be more concerned over the NFL's Treatment (no job in X years) with Kapernick as opposed to Nike's canceling a line of shoes --  I suppose THIS means you will NOT watch any NFL games  

Wait, what??? Why would anyone be concerned over Kapernick's lack of job?  He is a divisive, anti American disrespectful bigot.  He and the NFL lost me when they allowed Kapernick to wear socks with pigs dressed as police officers, and at the same time did not allow the Dallas Cowboys to wear patches on their uniforms honoring police officers who died to protect protestors.

Having said that, I really do not care what Nike or the NFL does.  People and have the right to express their opinions, and companies can run their businesses any way the want.   

7/02/2019 5:29 pm  #14

I cant control what a  shoe company does to enhance its business or what the NFL does to hold on to its fortune.The only thing I can do is try to lead a good life and root for my favorite team,the one on  the Bluff.

7/02/2019 6:20 pm  #15

I can't imagine stopping doing something I liked or supporting a team I liked to impress people who will never notice me. How dare Duquesne not pay the penalties to get out of a contract over some silly media created controversy over some consumer product no one you know was going to buy. 

Buy tickets and/or gear or don't - but that is all on you. You are not a martyr, and no one is harmed by your actions but you. Take your blood pressure medicine and godspeed.

7/02/2019 7:32 pm  #16

I reiterate who is this guy? He never deserved all this attention and he proved to be a lousy quarterback. Hes making money and he did nothing for the betterment of man.
That being said, I love the DUKES

7/02/2019 8:10 pm  #17

Nike sales jumped up when they linked up with Kaepernick, which surprised many of us. Now they are taking marching orders from the guy. Strange things happening in our society.

This really has nothing to do with DU basketball fans. Our program is what matters, not what Nike thinks are good corporate decisions.

7/02/2019 9:02 pm  #18

mm76or99 wrote:

I can't imagine stopping doing something I liked or supporting a team I liked to impress people who will never notice me. How dare Duquesne not pay the penalties to get out of a contract over some silly media created controversy over some consumer product no one you know was going to buy. 

Buy tickets and/or gear or don't - but that is all on you. You are not a martyr, and no one is harmed by your actions but you. Take your blood pressure medicine and godspeed.

Lol.   Spot on.

7/03/2019 4:33 am  #19

CLK wrote:

SkepticAl wrote:

Wait, what??? Why would anyone be concerned over Kapernick's lack of job?  He is a divisive, anti American disrespectful bigot.  He and the NFL lost me when they allowed Kapernick to wear socks with pigs dressed as police officers, and at the same time did not allow the Dallas Cowboys to wear patches on their uniforms honoring police officers who died to protect protestors.

Having said that, I really do not care what Nike or the NFL does.  People and have the right to express their opinions, and companies can run their businesses any way the want.   

Amen!

7/03/2019 5:57 am  #20

townsonkid wrote:

Zero uproar from me.

Ditto

Also thoroughly disappointing to bring politics to a basketball message board.

I guess Nike intruded on the safe space of a snowflake?

You make checkbook threats a lot, TD.

Last edited by Face (7/03/2019 6:28 am)

7/03/2019 8:40 am  #21

CLK wrote:

That's the key because that's what our country guarantees. 

7/03/2019 8:54 am  #22

Mulder wrote:

CLK wrote:

I know, but it comes at a cost.  My son was a police officer in Dallas for many years.  On July 7, 2016 his patrol partner was wounded, and his co-worker and friend was killed trying to protect that right by a cop hating sniper.  But for the mercy of God...…

I have little tolerance for those who spread hate and advocate violence.  I put Kapernick in that category, and anyone who enables him and others like him to spread hate.      

None of this has anything to do with Duquesne.

7/03/2019 9:03 am  #23

CLK wrote:

Mulder wrote:

CLK wrote:

I know, but it comes at a cost.  My son was a police officer in Dallas for many years.  On July 7, 2016 his patrol partner was wounded, and his co-worker and friend was killed trying to protect that right by a cop hating sniper.  But for the mercy of God...…

I have little tolerance for those who spread hate and advocate violence.  I put Kapernick in that category, and anyone who enables him and others like him to spread hate.      

None of it does, but if we want to move the conversation away from that it’s unfair for you to pair that with a blanket statement about who hates and who endorses violence. Especially when, so far as I am aware, Kaepernick has promoted nothing more than nonviolent protest. Though I may be wrong there as he is not someone that I follow.

Still, he has encouraged the wrong approach. Instead of some people recognizing that there is in fact a problem, he gives them the opportunity to make him a villain. Much easier to vilify a person you don’t like than it is to acknowledge a tough problem that isn’t easy to solve.

Also not saying I agree that pulling the shoes made sense but frankly I don’t care about them, not my style regardless.

Last edited by Face (7/03/2019 9:41 am)

7/03/2019 9:51 am  #24

While I agree with CLK and Face, perhaps this is getting out of hand for this message board that at one time promised to avoid politics.  TK tried to direct us away and maybe that is time.  I'm sure there are a lot of difficult feelings on both sides. 

I have strong feelings in general on a lot going on today, having received my DU degree in Secondary Ed - Social Studies and can see my failures as a teacher of history etc. in this and more.  I also work today in a political environment.    Let's agree that we all want what is best for Duquesne, a place that will always be special to me and probably to all of you, and that we all share that sentiment regardless of politics. 

7/03/2019 10:15 am  #25

Face wrote:

CLK wrote:

Mulder wrote:

None of it does, but if we want to move the conversation away from that it’s unfair for you to pair that with a blanket statement about who hates and who endorses violence. Especially when, so far as I am aware, Kaepernick has promoted nothing more than nonviolent protest. Though I may be wrong there as he is not someone that I follow.

Still, he has encouraged the wrong approach. Instead of some people recognizing that there is in fact a problem, he gives them the opportunity to make him a villain. Much easier to vilify a person you don’t like than it is to acknowledge a tough problem that isn’t easy to solve.

Also not saying I agree that pulling the shoes made sense but frankly I don’t care about them, not my style regardless.

I was replying to your dad's comments.  Admittedly I have a very strong view on this subject, and while I see you have edited your post from your first draft you are still way off base (if you want to discuss this privately I would be glad to do so).  You have no idea how it is for police officers and their families to see the hate fermented by people like Kapernick.  Hate begets violence.  Kapernick spreads that hate and in that regard is complicit in the violence.  Again this has nothing to do with Duquesne, and agree with your dad we should move forward, but I am not going to let you attack me with your naive comments.

Last edited by CLK (7/03/2019 10:15 am)

Board footera