Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/08/2019 8:21 am  #1

Rothstein Predictions

Atlantic 10 Offseason Power Rankings

1. VCU
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. Rhode Island
5. St. Bonaventure
6. Saint Louis
7. Richmond
8. Duquesne
9. George Mason
10. La Salle
11. St. Joe’s
12. UMass
13. GW
14. Fordham

My opinion too low

5 Impact Atlantic 10 Freshmen (in no particular order):

Bones Hyland, VCU
James Ellis, Duquesne (redshirt)
Maceo Austin, Duquesne
Tre Mitchell, UMass
Hyunjung Lee, Davidson

Agree

Atlantic 10 Preseason First-Team:

Marcus Evans, VCU
Jon Axel Gudmundsson, Davidson
Kellan Grady, Davidson
Obi Toppin, Dayton
Cyril Langevine, Rhode Island

Carry disrespected AGAIN

5 Atlantic 10 Breakout Players:

Fred Thatch, Saint Louis
Vince Williams, VCU
Tyrese Martin, Rhode Island
Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure
Ed Croswell, La Salle

No Lamar Norman

Last edited by CLK (7/08/2019 8:26 am)

7/08/2019 8:29 am  #2

Re: Rothstein Predictions

Its going to be interesting. Are we going to make a step foward? Funny how they have Maceo n ellis all freshman but the team slips. Also will be interesting how much the young team theory plays out tin 2019-20. It wont be as much of an excuse this year.

7/08/2019 8:36 am  #3

The top 3 are pretty clear. After that, the next six is pretty wide open. Injuries will play a big role in determining which teams in that group surprise, and which which disappoint. 10-13 are all early in their rebuilds, and Fordham seems hopeless.

7/08/2019 10:06 am  #4

Rothstein also has Bailey Steele as an impact transfer. Without a true home court this year, it will be interesting to see how the team reacts. Could really help in tough road games.

Last edited by HookShot (7/08/2019 10:07 am)

7/08/2019 11:01 am  #5

I do believe that without a true home court, this will be an extremely challenging season. I am not suggesting that the team can't improve on last year's record, but it will require a huge effort given no Palumbo. Wondering what others think.

7/08/2019 11:10 am  #6

I agree el presidente, no home court, IMO, means every game at PPG is a neutral game.  Crowds, whatever they will be, wont be as much an impact in the bigger arena.   I dont think any teams play better at PPG than they do a campus gym.   Maybe we can practice and adjust.   
But sooner or later we need to make a move towards the top.   Maybe not this year, but next.   Too much youth and veteran mix and size and skill on this roster to not make an impact on the A10 by the end of next season(in the Coop). 

7/08/2019 11:12 am  #7

Sincere has bad knees - no other way to say it.  Until he can get through an entire season without missing more than 3-5 games he will not be in a list of the best players.

Coach D needs to think about playing him sparingly in the OOC games and when games are either in hand or out of hand, taking him out.  Otherwise...GroundHog Day

7/08/2019 1:04 pm  #8

president wrote:

I do believe that without a true home court, this will be an extremely challenging season. I am not suggesting that the team can't improve on last year's record, but it will require a huge effort given no Palumbo. Wondering what others think.

We don't have much of a home court advantage, even at Palumbo, considering the small crowds

7/08/2019 1:28 pm  #9

Excellent point duq81 but I still do believe that there are other things that factor into the home court advantage, i.e.. more familiarity with the court, shooting background, hoop tension, just a general feel for the arena. We don't play at PPG enough to have developed that kind of symbiotic relationship with that venue IMO. Just my 2 cents.

7/08/2019 3:02 pm  #10

president wrote:

Excellent point duq81 but I still do believe that there are other things that factor into the home court advantage, i.e.. more familiarity with the court, shooting background, hoop tension, just a general feel for the arena. We don't play at PPG enough to have developed that kind of symbiotic relationship with that venue IMO. Just my 2 cents.

Agree, but we're going to play there enough this year to develop a feel for the place. We may become used to playing in the big mostly empty arena, while it may throw the other teams off.

7/08/2019 3:11 pm  #11

CLK wrote:

1. VCU
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. Rhode Island
5. St. Bonaventure
6. Saint Louis
7. Richmond
8. Duquesne
9. George Mason
10. La Salle
11. St. Joe’s
12. UMass
13. GW
14. Fordham

My opinion too low

Marcus Evans, VCU
Kellan Grady, Davidson
Obi Toppin, Dayton

Carry disrespected AGAIN

I think 8th is also a little low for us but preseason rankings mean 0 so I’ll take that with a grain of salt.

Carry has the chance to make that first team this year if he can stay healthy and continue to improve on his great play we saw last year. If they only have 2 guards listed as Rothstein has it now, it will be tough for Carry to break into that top two of Grady and Evans. Grady tested the waters this year and came back but will be an NBA player and Evans is a legit NBA prospect as well. Evans was just actually invited to Chris Paul’s Eite PG camp which invites the top 20 college guards every year. If you look at body of work and full careers, both of these guys are ahead of Carry RIGHT NOW. He could change all that this year on the court, I think he is that good.

As far as PPG I agree with the potential downsides other posters highlighted but I think some good could also come of it. This team will play basically all road/neutral games and if they come out of the OOC and start A10 play well, look out. They will be battle tested and will have won a lot of games in less than ideal situations.

Another benefit is that they will have a ton of experience shooting in a big arena like PPG, hopefully this will be a factor if we are sniffing some higher level post season tourneys towards the end of the year. We have posted about our shooting falling off in big gyms in the past.

All things considered this is the most excited I’ve been for an upcoming season in a long time. The roster is extremely solid top to bottom and the schedule will be exciting if the team does well. Anxious and optimistic!

7/08/2019 4:20 pm  #12

CLK wrote:

1. VCU
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. Rhode Island
5. St. Bonaventure
6. Saint Louis
7. Richmond
8. Duquesne
9. George Mason
10. La Salle
11. St. Joe’s
12. UMass
13. GW
14. Fordham

My opinion too low

5 Impact Atlantic 10 Freshmen (in no particular order):

Bones Hyland, VCU
James Ellis, Duquesne (redshirt)
Maceo Austin, Duquesne
Tre Mitchell, UMass
Hyunjung Lee, Davidson

Agree

Marcus Evans, VCU
Kellan Grady, Davidson
Obi Toppin, Dayton

Carry disrespected AGAIN

5 Atlantic 10 Breakout Players:

Fred Thatch, Saint Louis
Vince Williams, VCU
Tyrese Martin, Rhode Island
Osun Osunniyi, St. Bonaventure
Ed Croswell, La Salle

No Lamar Norman

The guys in front of Carry are great players on the two best teams in the league. If Rothstein thought Carry was better, he'd have the Dukes in his top 3 or 4. You also can't blame folks if they're skeptical about his ability to stay healthy. KD rode him too hard last year, because we didn't have anyone behind him. That has to change, or he'll likely end up on the shelf. As for Norman, no one would list him as a possible breakout player at this point. He has to beat out Frank Hughes first, and keep in mind that half the board thinks that Maceo is going to come in and glue both he and Hughes to the bench. I'm actually a fan of Norman, and think he's going to be a major part, but I can understand why an out of town writer would look at our roster, and see Hughes, a former P5 player, Maceo, a high level recruit, and Dunn-Martin, who played major minutes at the 2 last year, and not immediately expect a guy who played behind Hughes, and D-M, to be a breakout player. Doesn't mean that he can't do it though.

7/08/2019 5:16 pm  #13

A couple of replies.  

My assumption, and hope, is that Carry will be healthy this season.  We already have seen how good he is when he was not healthy.  I also see us finishing in the top 5.    

I actually think Norman actually started the "break out" process by showing what he capable of against St. Joe after given the chance to start.  Certainly there will be a lot of competition, but I am very high on this kid.  I also think that Maceo will play a lot of time at the 3 and KD will play three guards with Carry Norman and Maceo starting together and getting a lot of minutes.  Frankie will certainly play a lot, and a lot to say about who starts, but I think he will mostly be pushing Maceo at the 3.

I am looking forward to August 5th.  I really hope that DU streams those games, or at least takes Ray and get a radio feed.   

7/08/2019 6:18 pm  #14

CLK wrote:

A couple of replies.  

My assumption, and hope, is that Carry will be healthy this season.  We already have seen how good he is when he was not healthy.  I also see us finishing in the top 5.    

I actually think Norman actually started the "break out" process by showing what he capable of against St. Joe after given the chance to start.  Certainly there will be a lot of competition, but I am very high on this kid.  I also think that Maceo will play a lot of time at the 3 and KD will play three guards with Carry Norman and Maceo starting together and getting a lot of minutes.  Frankie will certainly play a lot, and a lot to say about who starts, but I think he will mostly be pushing Maceo at the 3.

I am looking forward to August 5th.  I really hope that DU streams those games, or at least takes Ray and get a radio feed.   

I too expect to see a lot of 3 guards on the floor, at least until Rotroff comes back. After that, it might depend on how well 3 guards has worked out. I actually thought Norman should have been in there earlier, but it may have possibly been defensive issues that kept him out. You know KD won't play you if your making mistakes on defense.

7/08/2019 9:21 pm  #15

I don't really see KD as disciplined enough to bench players for making defensive mistakes. TDM & Weathers are constantly out of rotation & confused on their help assignments. Mhughes is mostly in that boat as well. No objective pundit would say the Dukes were a smart defensive team.

I do think KD rewards effort & keeps the highest total contribution players on the floor as much as he can.

Maybe the accountability will change in years 3 & 4 when the quality of the players & their experience improve.

duq81 wrote:

CLK wrote:

A couple of replies.  

I too expect to see a lot of 3 guards on the floor, at least until Rotroff comes back. After that, it might depend on how well 3 guards has worked out. I actually thought Norman should have been in there earlier, but it may have possibly been defensive issues that kept him out. You know KD won't play you if your making mistakes on defense.

7/08/2019 9:25 pm  #16

Also, I would love to know why Rothstein chose Ellis for his freshmen list. It is exciting to think he might be much more prospect than project.

7/09/2019 8:03 am  #17

Phil95,
My thoughts exactly.  Out of everything written, the thing that has me wondering is how he has Ellis where he is...is it wishful thinking...is it based on his size...I am interested to see how this plays out.  Of course I hope he is right.

7/09/2019 9:22 am  #18

duq81 wrote:

president wrote:

Agree, but we're going to play there enough this year to develop a feel for the place. We may become used to playing in the big mostly empty arena, while it may throw the other teams off.

Very good point! I agree. I think in the long run, it could be an advantage for the "home" team!

7/09/2019 11:00 am  #19

If Osun Osunniyi breaks out this year, will he have 40 rebounds against us?

8/18/2019 2:06 pm  #20

My prediction:

1. VCU
2. Davidson
3. Dayton
4. Rhode Island
5. Duquesne
6. St. Louis
7. St. Bonaventure
8. Richmond
9. George Mason