Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/16/2019 8:17 pm  #1

NBC Sports Article

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/07/16/atlantic-10-offseason-reset-vcu-davidson-dayton-headline-much-improved-conference/

I think this is different than a similar earliet post. Ut the Dukes get no respect in this one. Im just wondering how Richmond and LaSalle aree passing up the Dukes

7/16/2019 9:25 pm  #2

Re: NBC Sports Article

1111 Vickroy wrote:

https://collegebasketball.nbcsports.com/2019/07/16/atlantic-10-offseason-reset-vcu-davidson-dayton-headline-much-improved-conference/

I think this is different than a similar earliet post. Ut the Dukes get no respect in this one. Im just wondering how Richmond and LaSalle aree passing up the Dukes

Most of these sites view the departure of Eric Williams as a crippling loss. They're skeptical that we can overcome it, at least this year.

7/16/2019 9:40 pm  #3

EW's rebounding will be missed, but I really don't think DU lost its best player.  Can't believe any analyst would think this was a crushing blow to the program, with so much returning talent and a fine incoming group.

7/17/2019 2:24 am  #4

Same issues every year. Year after year college basketball "gurus" take the lazy route instead of doing any real research. These forecasters look at each other and then they all basically write the same soothsayer wisdom. Take the safe route and avoid possible scorn from the others in the pack for scrutinizing other schools. I've already read a handful about "the crushing effect of Williams leaving" and they're almost word for word the same.
What preseason A10 position were we picked last year and where did we finish? Keep doing the same until Duquesne's name becomes fashionable with the "pack" and doesn't require any actual thought process.

7/17/2019 8:51 am  #5

“The Sky Is Falling” has been a famous phrase for hundreds of years. Yes Eric Williams was very talented. But was he a team player? I do not know but unlike the microscope which followed the Steelers via Mr. Big Chest last year I question why EW was suspended last December. Was everything fine between Williams and Coach Dambrot. At that time did the behind the scenes recruiting process begin from other teams. Team play win championships one player does not win a title.  EW departure to Nike University reflects that the Dukes once again will remain at the bottom of the A10. Like the Steelers I believe that the Dukes will be deeper and better based upon a TEAM concept. Yes EW was a talent but I believe the returning players may have something to say about a projected 10th place A10 finish this season.

7/17/2019 10:08 am  #6

The reason the A-10 will be better is because there are a number of schools, like Duquesne, who bring a lot of players back and will be better. Duquesne will be better without Eric Williams, who indeed is a fine player. The best player on the team? Maybe. But he played by himself a lot of times. The coach is interested in having the best team. This article definitely doesn't address that. And why would it? The guy doesn't really understand. He thinks he does. But he doesn't. With the talent Duquesne has on its roster this year, they can finish in the top half of the league. Why not?

7/17/2019 11:09 am  #7

I do agree with other posters on the board. KD often speaks about the five most talented players vs. the five  players to have on the floor who create the best team chemistry. Obviously, EW Jr. was not a good fit in that regard. I view his departure as a plus going forward. Really a shame that things didn't work out for him here. Wish him the best!

7/17/2019 11:38 am  #8

Excluding transfers, teams lose good players every year to graduation or going pro.
The better programs have players in place who are their replacements.  One example is
Davidson.  EW was talented but apparently not a team player.  I agree with KD; team play wins championships.  Kentucky has all sorts of 4-5 star guys but Calipari struggles to win national championships. Calipari has admitted it is a challenge to have everyone playing together.
I think that the Dukes lack of a true home court was also considered in their ranking.

7/17/2019 12:43 pm  #9

Honestly with the talent returning for the top team in the A-10 it might not be the year that the Dukes move up from the middle of the league standings.  A lot of things would need to break Duquesne's way in order for them to finish in the top 5 in this league; however, it is clear that the Williams defection is the focus of the prognosticators.  Someone will need to step up and pluck some rebounds on the defensive glass as the team lacks a true power forward, and was badly manhandled on the boards late last season.  If the team plays small again, I don't see how that improves.  I think some guys will replace the scoring lost with EW's transfer.  He often killed momentum last year with his untimely air balls at critical moments in games costing the team momentum and ultimately wins. Sin Carry took shots in big moments last year as well, but he often made them! 

I'm hopeful that the team executes better defense this year.  Stopping penetration and recognizing the three-point threats and not sagging off them to help on dribble drives should be an area of improvement.  Reducing turnovers leading to run-outs for easy baskets must be a priority.  Oddly, last season a lot of the turnovers could be categorized as "unforced errors" with the ball.  Turnovers must be limited, since the team doesn't have a speed or athletic advantage against the better teams on the schedule, therefore turnovers become layups! 

All things considered, I would still rank the Dukes ahead of Mason and LaSalle in the preseason rankings putting us in the middle of the pack at #8. 

7/17/2019 3:06 pm  #10

levon1975 wrote:

Honestly with the talent returning for the top team in the A-10 it might not be the year that the Dukes move up from the middle of the league standings.  A lot of things would need to break Duquesne's way in order for them to finish in the top 5 in this league; however, it is clear that the Williams defection is the focus of the prognosticators.  Someone will need to step up and pluck some rebounds on the defensive glass as the team lacks a true power forward, and was badly manhandled on the boards late last season.  If the team plays small again, I don't see how that improves.  I think some guys will replace the scoring lost with EW's transfer.  He often killed momentum last year with his untimely air balls at critical moments in games costing the team momentum and ultimately wins. Sin Carry took shots in big moments last year as well, but he often made them! 

I'm hopeful that the team executes better defense this year.  Stopping penetration and recognizing the three-point threats and not sagging off them to help on dribble drives should be an area of improvement.  Reducing turnovers leading to run-outs for easy baskets must be a priority.  Oddly, last season a lot of the turnovers could be categorized as "unforced errors" with the ball.  Turnovers must be limited, since the team doesn't have a speed or athletic advantage against the better teams on the schedule, therefore turnovers become layups! 

All things considered, I would still rank the Dukes ahead of Mason and LaSalle in the preseason rankings putting us in the middle of the pack at #8. 

Pretty much agree with this. Just as these writers may be overestimating the effect of losing Williams, most of the posters are writing him off a bit too lightly. Powerful P5 teams don't add bums from mid level A10 teams. Williams is a very good player, and he's a significant loss for the Dukes, especially considering how thin we are at the 3, and 4 with Rotroff, and Kelly out. We're going to have to run a three guard set, and we're counting on three players who haven't produced at this level to fill two of those spots. Frank Hughes has to step up his game in a major way. He has the pedigree, but the consistent results haven't been there. He's four years out of high school. It's time for him to show what he's got. I like what I saw from Norman in a limited role last year. Can he take the next step, and produce while seeing 25 minutes a game? Maceo comes with a lot of hype, but so did Brandon Wade, and that turned out to be a disaster. I don't think that will happen with Maceo, but I've seen plenty of hyped freshmen fall on their faces. Until he gets out there and does it, you can't count on it. Weathers, Mike Hughes, and Carry are the guys who have done it, and the ones I have the most confidence in. We need 2 or 3 of the question marks to become exclamation points in order for the Dukes to move forward. Time will tell.

7/17/2019 3:25 pm  #11

Regarding EW, team, etc. I think Dambrot's first comment in the PSN article about the summer progression is telling in that regard...

=16px“We’re more mature, our culture is better, we’re better teammates..."

Simply because another year of experience for all? Maybe. But most would agree KD is very deliberate in his responses. Perhaps this is the acknowledgment of an anchor that we only saw surface through suspension, poor body language throughout the year, and ultimately a transfer request. 

7/17/2019 5:40 pm  #12

Ifky 07 wrote:

Regarding EW, team, etc. I think Dambrot's first comment in the PSN article about the summer progression is telling in that regard...

=16px“We’re more mature, our culture is better, we’re better teammates..."

Simply because another year of experience for all? Maybe. But most would agree KD is very deliberate in his responses. Perhaps this is the acknowledgment of an anchor that we only saw surface through suspension, poor body language throughout the year, and ultimately a transfer request. 

From a very, very reliable source, EW was a cancer on the team. I did not ask the source to explain this characterization, because the source was understandably reluctant to make any statement at all on the subject. Stuff like this is usually kept quiet and internal to the family. Therefore, I did not press for more information. Suffice it to say that EW's departure was considered a blessing. For myself, I'm disappointed that he has transferred. I felt he was a key factor in bringing the program back to competitive respectability. 

7/17/2019 7:59 pm  #13

Good luck in Oregon but he was addition by subtraction. A lot talent but he had a attitude issue last year
and goodbye Eric.

7/17/2019 8:45 pm  #14

I don't think it is especially disrespectful. I am fine if the team does, though, and are motivated by it. As mentioned up thread, they noticed and then outperformed last year's predicted finish quite nicely. I'd like to see them do that again. 

That said - Duquesne lost EW.  Allegations of him being a team killer  aside, he was, in my opinion, their best player most games. (I think a case can be made for Sincere too, but after he injured his leg again, he wasn't the same. He's had two leg injuries the last two years - so hopefully his minutes are managed better this year. )

(In basketball, losing your "best player" can sometime make the team better. I don't think it will be that situation here though, as typically that player is not a fit for that system or is overly ball dominant. I don't think either of those are the case - I think EW was a fit for the system, if not the culture. I was mistaken about his usage rate though a few months back, but they typically didn't run the offense through him, which is typically what is required for the so called "Ewing "theory"". Duquesne may end up better,  but I think it would be a matter of Austin or Norman or whoever gets his minutes outperforming EW, than an addition by subtraction thing.)

I don't think it is unreasonable to look at the team and ask "how are they going to replace what they lost in EW?" They weren't a good rebounding team last season with him - I expect them to be worse, possibly much worse (at rebounding specifically) next year.  I think they can make up the points, by commission, but I don't think we can expect Norman or Austin to average 14 next year. I'm not at all confident that they'll make it all up/improve on the defensive end either. He had the 3rd best defensive rating on the team, not counting KT. It is admittedly a difficult comparison, as the sample sizes are not great for  Norman, (who was 6th last season, and maybe gets better with more minutes) or non existent  for Austin. 

I am not saying all hope is lost or that EW leaving means all hope is lost, but I understand why they'd be picked about where they are due to him leaving. 

I am more concerned about the team lacking a home court this year for all intents and purposes, or at least one that will provide much of a home court advantage, though.  I don't think that is an insignificant factor in trying to predict how the teams will end up. I wish there was a smaller venue that would have made sense to sub in.

7/17/2019 9:34 pm  #15

Wow, it's obviously all conjecture at this point but they lost a talent. We shall see but I believe that the key component is going to be Bailey Steele.

7/17/2019 9:35 pm  #16

And another thing a year ago maybe seemed a little bit easier to crack into the top of the league but after a year you see how difficult it is and the league at least at this point is on the rise

7/18/2019 8:19 am  #17

Vickroy,thank you!  I thought I was missing something. Everyone seems to be glossing over the addition of a 6’11” grad transfer who was one of his conferences leading rebounders.

Last edited by The Dome (7/18/2019 8:20 am)

7/18/2019 8:29 am  #18

The Dome wrote:

Vickroy,thank you! I thought I was missing something. Everyone seems to be glossing over the addition of a 6’11” grad transfer who was one of his conferences leading rebounders.

I don't think we're glossing over him. Two things are at work here. One is that we haven't had a grad transfer that made a serious impact yet, so many are taking a wait and see attitude. The other, is that he plays a position where we have our second best player. We don't need to replace Mike Hughes. Mike Hughes is damn good. Thus, unless either Mike, or Steele can play the 4, (which would be a game changer for our outlook), his impact will not be as great as it would be if he were replacing some scrub in the middle. I don't know if Mike can play the 4. Some of our experts here don't think he can. I sure hope they're wrong, as Mike at the 4 would also bring Ellis into the picture as a possible supplement to Steele in the middle, and give us the size to help make up for the loss of Williams' rebounding.

7/18/2019 9:06 am  #19

This is a direct quote from the earlier article regarding Steele:

You have guys on the team who are going to go fight as hard as they can every single possession of their whole life, and Baylee certainly did that tonight. He was awesome," Pope said. "He's developing into a big-time player. He's got nine double-doubles in his first year back after sitting out and in a rotation. And he did it in a half in postseason tournament play.

"He’s developing at such a good clip, that he’s going to be a monster next year."

Wow--some strong comments.Hope He can provide us some of that.

7/18/2019 10:15 am  #20

The top three of this league (VCU, Dayton & Davidson) are all very solid.  Who finishes after that is up for grabs.  The Bonnies lost several top players, Mason lost key players and SLU is basically a total rebuild.  The Dukes return  4 starters and a very solid core.  I see KD being able to play big without relying on freshman.  Most of the minutes at the 4 & 5 (if everyone stays healthy) will be Hughes, Steele & Weathers with Rotroff and Elliis getting relief minutes.  We hopefully will not have to play a walk on at the 4 or see Weathers playing the 5.  This was a major problem last year.  I think we will be a vastly improved rebounding team and a better on interior defense.  I am not worried about the loss  of Williams.  About half of his rebounds came from ripping them away from his teammates, and his offense will be absorbed by the 2 & 3. We will also be a better overall defensive team.  I am not sure what the impact of not playing at Palumbo, but I don't think we had much of a home court advantage there either.  I really feel there is ample reason to believe the Dukes can finish in the top 5.

7/18/2019 10:52 am  #21

Not sure about AJP, I think that was an advantage, we had a good record at home the last 2 years, most home wins in a season(maybe due to # of home games, but still).   PPG is a terrible place for bball, but maybe our guys adapt, rim will be at 10 ft, foul line at 15 ft.   It will just be empty in there.   It wasnt even a good crowd for the city game last year, IMO.   But we gotta get thru it.   And it cant be an excuse.  If Maceo is good, Steele rebounds like a champ, Norman and Sin are healthy and hitting shots, no reason not to be in the A10 hunt come late February.

7/18/2019 12:19 pm  #22

CLK wrote:

The top three of this league (VCU, Dayton & Davidson) are all very solid.  Who finishes after that is up for grabs.  The Bonnies lost several top players, Mason lost key players and SLU is basically a total rebuild.  The Dukes return  4 starters and a very solid core.  I see KD being able to play big without relying on freshman.  Most of the minutes at the 4 & 5 (if everyone stays healthy) will be Hughes, Steele & Weathers with Rotroff and Elliis getting relief minutes.  We hopefully will not have to play a walk on at the 4 or see Weathers playing the 5.  This was a major problem last year.  I think we will be a vastly improved rebounding team and a better on interior defense.  I am not worried about the loss  of Williams.  About half of his rebounds came from ripping them away from his teammates, and his offense will be absorbed by the 2 & 3. We will also be a better overall defensive team.  I am not sure what the impact of not playing at Palumbo, but I don't think we had much of a home court advantage there either.  I really feel there is ample reason to believe the Dukes can finish in the top 5.

3rd ranked defensive rating Williams had. So he played defense and rebounding... why even say something like that when the kid averaged 8.2 combined 2 years for us and team cancer? stop speaking on situations we do not know about that’s all I have to say.

7/18/2019 12:31 pm  #23

Godukes2017 wrote:

CLK wrote:

3rd ranked defensive rating Williams had. So he played defense and rebounding... why even say something like that when the kid averaged 8.2 combined 2 years for us and team cancer? stop speaking on situations we do not know about that’s all I have to say.

Can't argue with this. We don't know what he may have done in practice. All I know is that he never cursed at the coach during a game, unlike the last guy who left here to go to a big time program, which opened the door for that coach to be fired, yet he get still gets lots of love here. Of course he's a local, which in Pittsburgh, absolves all sins.

7/18/2019 1:26 pm  #24

Godukes2017 wrote:

CLK wrote:

Where did I call him a "cancer"?   He may or may not have had issues with his teammates.  I have no first hand knowledge on that, and that was not my point when I made the comment about his rebounding.  It was just my observation that many of his rebounds could have easily been taken by other teammates. Eric was very aggressive in his rebounding, and that was a good thing.   

What I did say (and stand by) was I am not concerned about his loss as others will absorb his rebounding and scoring, and that we will be a much better defensive team next season.  This is mostly because we will be stronger at the 4 and 5..

You all can continue to lament Eric leaving, and believe what you want.  Personally I am more positive and see a lot of retuning talent and key new players and again say there is ample reasons to believe the Dukes can finish in the top 5.  

Last edited by CLK (7/18/2019 1:28 pm)

7/18/2019 2:13 pm  #25

Board footera