Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/01/2019 9:44 am  #1

I know this doesn't belong here but...

...I thought it interesting for those of you out of town or who don't bother with the PG anymore, that it is reported this morning that Duquesne will open up a med. school.  Here's the article:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2019/08/01/Duquesne-University-college-osteopathic-medicine-Gormley-Dausey/stories/201907310269

If one of the moderators wants to move it somewhere else or delete after a time please feel free.

Last edited by Mulder (8/01/2019 9:45 am)

8/01/2019 11:14 am  #2

Re: I know this doesn't belong here but...

Marginally intrigued.

There was a lot of speculation in my friend group that during the last "5 year plan meeting" or whatever they call it, it looked like they were building a new thing on the Red Ring parking lot that we *thought* was a new dorm. Based on this article, looks like it's this

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

8/01/2019 12:26 pm  #3

Mulder wrote:

...I thought it interesting for those of you out of town or who don't bother with the PG anymore, that it is reported this morning that Duquesne will open up a med. school.  Here's the article:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/health/2019/08/01/Duquesne-University-college-osteopathic-medicine-Gormley-Dausey/stories/201907310269

If one of the moderators wants to move it somewhere else or delete after a time please feel free.

No problem with this. It wouldn't be seen anywhere else.

8/01/2019 2:08 pm  #4

This is a pretty amazing idea by our president.  This will really improve our schools reputation in my opinion.  Creating an entire medical school for MDs would probably be unrealistic, but a DO program to help deal with the extreme shortage of PCP and Family Doctors is a great idea.  Nice job Duquesne!

"You have to be realistic about these things."  - Logen Ninefingers

8/09/2019 3:03 pm  #5

I agree- This is exciting news for the university.  The first new school in years. A medical school only adds to the reputation of the university.  A doctor would probably be able to donate back a bit more than I do.

I also like the idea of offering a more wholistic medical degree.

I still think that Duquesne missed the opportunity to combine with Mercy Hospital the way so many other catholic health systems have done in other cities to survive and continue to compete with the obsessively profit driven health systems like UPMC.

The campus would have streatched to about 100 acres.

The school is going to be built across the street from the new Coop. But will work with both UPMC and Allegheny Health Systems.

Last edited by coffee (8/09/2019 4:33 pm)

COFFEE
http://duquesnesports.blogspot.com/
Attitude is everything

8/10/2019 7:38 am  #6

Good interview here on WESA's The Confluence. 

https://www.wesa.fm/post/pittsburgher-ming-na-wen-be-honored-disney-legend#stream/0

I still don't know why Duquesne had to sell off WDUQ to create WESA.

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

8/10/2019 8:53 am  #7

8/10/2019 9:09 am  #8

I saw this when it was first posted but did not comment. It really is fantastic news for the University. This may sound kind of obvious but I think in a previous post regarding the idea of a medical school someone had commented about how having a medical school can increase the amount of donations you get from alumni, which is of course a very good thing for the school

8/10/2019 10:02 am  #9

The only move Duquesne should make to truly become an elite academic institution would be to add a school of Engineering/Robotics.  I realize CMU and Pitt have those pretty locked down, but with the amount of tech jobs moving into the area, we need to capitalize on that market.

8/10/2019 8:24 pm  #10

The school is going to be built across the street from the new Coop. But will work with both UPMC and Allegheny Health Systems.

Been saying for years that building ought to be the next one to be absorbed by the university. They gonna renovate, or demo and rebuild? EDIT: Duh. It's new construction.

Last edited by Face (8/10/2019 8:28 pm)

8/10/2019 9:16 pm  #11

I don't think it's the building you are thinking of Face.  It's going to go in the empty lot area next to Power Center as far as I know.  That said, they definitely need to buy the building you are suggesting.

8/12/2019 1:34 pm  #12

Ah, got it. The map wasn’t clear. Still, cool. I hope they can find a way to better integrate the Forbes corridor with the beauty of the A-Walk part of campus.

8/12/2019 3:06 pm  #13

Face wrote:

Ah, got it. The map wasn’t clear. Still, cool. I hope they can find a way to better integrate the Forbes corridor with the beauty of the A-Walk part of campus.

That would be really nice, but is it realistic? What were the streets on the upper part of campus like before the university took over? Were they urban streets like Forbes and Fifth are now?

8/12/2019 4:04 pm  #14

They sure were like that, though with housing primarily. Of course Forbes will always be a street with traffic, but they can absolutely find a way to beautify that area.

Last edited by Face (8/12/2019 4:18 pm)

8/13/2019 7:05 am  #15

Both Forbes and Fifth are scheduled to have the "rapid transit" bus line installed.  Not sure what that does to traffic, parking, etc. at campus or where exactly it will start and end.  Obviously it will only affect the streets as they exist now considering all the buildings along the route.  But it may affect some of what Duquesne can do there.  It may also be a positive if it improves access.

See the link for an example of the current plan:  https://www.portauthority.org/inside-Port-Authority/projects/bus-rapid-transit/brt-Service/

8/13/2019 6:53 pm  #16

Face wrote:

Been saying for years that building ought to be the next one to be absorbed by the university. They gonna renovate, or demo and rebuild? EDIT: Duh. It's new construction.

You may be on to something, Face.

The university map shows that property in green, not gray. I'm wondering if the university already owns it and is keeping it in its pocket for use as part of its new medical school.  The building houses a treatment program now.

University map-
https://www.duq.edu/assets/Images/about/_images/Campus%20Map%20Legend%2010.15.jpg

Last edited by coffee (8/13/2019 6:56 pm)

COFFEE
Attitude is everything

8/13/2019 8:26 pm  #17

luckymcd wrote:

Face wrote:

That would be really nice, but is it realistic? What were the streets on the upper part of campus like before the university took over? Were they urban streets like Forbes and Fifth are now?

The campus was full of rowhouses.
upload
upload
upload

8/14/2019 10:27 am  #18

duq81, thanks for posting these pictures.  I don't believe that I have ever seen these before, especially the housing on Bluff St.  I have seen other pictures with houses on Vickroy St. (Academic Walk).  Cool.

8/14/2019 10:28 am  #19

coffee wrote:

Face wrote:

You may be on to something, Face.

The university map shows that property in green, not gray. I'm wondering if the university already owns it and is keeping it in its pocket for use as part of its new medical school. The building houses a treatment program now.

University map-
https://www.duq.edu/assets/Images/about/_images/Campus%20Map%20Legend%2010.15.jpg

That was at one time a workshop/activity area for those with special needs and other challenges because the company I worked for used them for things like mailings.  But I believe they have closed now.

8/14/2019 11:27 am  #20

For a post that doesnt belong here, sure is getting a lot of activity.    

8/14/2019 1:04 pm  #21

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81, thanks for posting these pictures.  I don't believe that I have ever seen these before, especially the housing on Bluff St.  I have seen other pictures with houses on Vickroy St. (Academic Walk).  Cool.

You can often determine the economic class of the original occupants of an area by looking at the housing. The housing I've seen is well above working man's housing. It doesn't appear to be housing for the wealthy, but more likely housing that would have appealed to clerks, and other low level white collar workers needing easy access to the Triangle, which was transitioning from a residential area, to a modern central business district. It's no surprise that a college would be a welcome resident of such an area.

8/14/2019 5:56 pm  #22

The building across the street from Palumbo was recently listed for sale without an asking price. It's approximately 120,000 square feet. The present owner only utilizes about 40,000 square feet. If I'm not mistaken it was built in the 1970's. The present day Duquesne campus was a mixture of warehouses, garages and row houses prior to the mid-1960's. The houses were predominately owned by first and second generation Italians. The city had a public works department warehouse on Bluff St., there was also a U. S. Post Office garage and a large garage owned by a laundry company. There was even a stable where a "junk man" kept his horse and wagon.   A few present-day academic buildings utilize the structural skeletons of a number of these warehouse/garages. The campus was not a pretty place in the early 1960's. :-)  

8/14/2019 9:26 pm  #23

A 64 ...the old bluff

8/14/2019 9:31 pm  #24

Bronx Tale before a bronx tale

8/15/2019 9:13 am  #25

A64's post reminds me that College Hall was once an old parking garage if I recall correctly.

Board footera