Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing


MEN’S BASKETBALL UPCOMING GAMES
November 9 - Rider at Duquesne - 7:00 PM (Tuesday; Home Opener)
November 13 - Hofstra @ Duquesne - 7:00 PM (Saturday)
November 15 - Weber State @ Duquesne - 7:00 PM (Monday)

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?



8/05/2019 7:15 pm  #1


Bahamas Trip

Weren’t the Dukes supposed to leave for the Bahamas today? There has not been anything from the Athletic Department - no stories, no photos, no tweets. Really bad that no interest has been stirred. Very disappointing.

 

8/06/2019 10:31 am  #2


Re: Bahamas Trip

I really do not understand the complete lack of information and coverage from both the school and the media.  Where is our buddy Zach, he s usually pretty good in getting information?  Does he still cover DU for Pgh Sports Now?  Is the University SID off for the summer?  I agree with you Hook Shot very disappointing.

 

8/06/2019 10:08 pm  #3


Re: Bahamas Trip

https://mobile.twitter.com/ZacharyMWeiss/status/1158915308398272513

So, after making progress PR wise last year, we buried our head in the sand concerning this important trip. Distressing that a man like Zach who does a terrific job is shunned (along with the other outlets). I think this has to go down as the first black eye for our AD (whom I believe to be absolutely tremendous and nothing but first class).

Did see Sincere’s instagram from the Bahamas where he dunked the ball with ease. That is very promising because his knees did not allow for that last year. If Sincere takes a leap forward, so do the Dukes.

https://thebluffblog.net/2019/08/06/top-secret-the-duquesne-bahamas-tour/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Thanks to The Bluff Blog for this piece. For those who have suffered with over 40 years of no NCAA dancing, it hurts that the SID doesn’t promote something we have put our faith into.

Last edited by HookShot (8/06/2019 10:22 pm)

     Thread Starter
 

8/07/2019 6:09 am  #4


Re: Bahamas Trip

It does not l;ook like many teams are promoting this....some a little more than others.  Are there any NCAA guidelines that may come into play??

This is how other schools are handling the event.

Temple:
https://owlsports.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Georgetown:
http://guhoyas.com/news/2019/5/15/mens-basketball-georgetown-heads-to-bahamas-for-2019-summer-tour.aspx
http://guhoyas.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Texas Tech:
https://texastech.com/index.aspx?path=mbball


Schedule:
http://bbfn.web.geniussports.com/

Last edited by Dsnyder15 (8/07/2019 6:32 am)

 

8/07/2019 7:17 am  #5


Re: Bahamas Trip

Its only the hardcore fans that even know they are in the Bahamas.  Few students on campus, the AD staff is busy with Fall sports and getting football media stuff ready to go.  I can see how this falls thru the cracks.   But hey, pitt got their article in the PG today about their Italy trip, and we finally got an article about the Jett signing.   

Hopefully we can at least get some highlights of the action, if DU even sent anyone down there other than players and coaches.   

 

8/07/2019 8:40 am  #6


Re: Bahamas Trip

I believe the Trib had an article last week on the Jett signing and this article appeared back in May. It's strange there seems to have been nothing else.

https://triblive.com/sports/summer-bonding-pitt-duquesne-wvu-basketball-plan-overseas-trips/ 

 

8/07/2019 8:45 am  #7


Re: Bahamas Trip

Check out these schools' Twitter feeds. All kinds of photos and information either from their trips or otherwise. Ours is complete silence since July 10th. It's unacceptable.

https://twitter.com/TUMBBHoops
Full coverage of Temple's games and experiences in the Bahamas.

https://twitter.com/GeorgetownHoops
Georgetown leaves later this week. They'll have coverage, too. They have video of their Top Golf outing and other things from the summer.

https://twitter.com/TexasTechMBB
Texas Tech doesn't go away until next week. They have video profiles of all of their guys going up. I'm sure they'll cover the trip. as well.

Check out the Twitter and Instagram feeds of schools like Furman and Drake, who are documenting their trips. Stop making excuses for Duquesne by saying other schools aren't promoting it. They could at least be posting photos and staying engaged. They aren't. They need to do better.



Dsnyder15 wrote:

It does not l;ook like many teams are promoting this....some a little more than others.  Are there any NCAA guidelines that may come into play??

This is how other schools are handling the event.

Temple:
https://owlsports.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Georgetown:
http://guhoyas.com/news/2019/5/15/mens-basketball-georgetown-heads-to-bahamas-for-2019-summer-tour.aspx
http://guhoyas.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Texas Tech:
https://texastech.com/index.aspx?path=mbball


Schedule:
http://bbfn.web.geniussports.com/

 

 

8/07/2019 9:07 am  #8


Re: Bahamas Trip

mjp1542 wrote:

Check out these schools' Twitter feeds. All kinds of photos and information either from their trips or otherwise. Ours is complete silence since July 10th. It's unacceptable.

https://twitter.com/TUMBBHoops
Full coverage of Temple's games and experiences in the Bahamas.

https://twitter.com/GeorgetownHoops
Georgetown leaves later this week. They'll have coverage, too. They have video of their Top Golf outing and other things from the summer.

https://twitter.com/TexasTechMBB
Texas Tech doesn't go away until next week. They have video profiles of all of their guys going up. I'm sure they'll cover the trip. as well.

Check out the Twitter and Instagram feeds of schools like Furman and Drake, who are documenting their trips. Stop making excuses for Duquesne by saying other schools aren't promoting it. They could at least be posting photos and staying engaged. They aren't. They need to do better.



Dsnyder15 wrote:

It does not l;ook like many teams are promoting this....some a little more than others.  Are there any NCAA guidelines that may come into play??

This is how other schools are handling the event.

Temple:
https://owlsports.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Georgetown:
http://guhoyas.com/news/2019/5/15/mens-basketball-georgetown-heads-to-bahamas-for-2019-summer-tour.aspx
http://guhoyas.com/index.aspx?path=mbball

Texas Tech:
https://texastech.com/index.aspx?path=mbball


Schedule:
http://bbfn.web.geniussports.com/

 

Sorry...I did not do a deep dive into each school...just checked the school websites.  The school websites for 2 or the 3 I checked had very little.

Correct me if I am wrong...  This IS still a free country with freedom of speech???   I am not making any excuses and I am free to comment as I choose. Are you a grade school kid following the Dukes??  You surely should pay attention to reading before you get to middle school. 

STOP  SMH   I think I will look for a safe place.  

 

8/07/2019 9:27 am  #9


Re: Bahamas Trip

No, I'm a passionate fan of my alma mater, who attended almost every game during the Edgar/Porter days when I was there. I have followed and attended games almost every chance I've gotten since graduating and moving out of the area. I work in public relations and social media. It's my job to do the things that I don't think Duquesne is doing very well right now.

You said this is how other schools are handling the event. I dove deeper to get more information. To me, it seemed like you were making the point that Duquesne wasn't doing anything differently than the other schools. Two points to that:

1. Yes, they are doing things differently. They haven't used their social media channels to promote the team and what it has been doing since July 10th, including this trip to the Bahamas. The other teams have.

2. Even if those schools weren't doing much, why shouldn't we strive to be better? That's been a Duquesne problem for years. Striving for mediocrity. I thought it was changing.

I apologize if you took what I said too personally. And for a while I considered that maybe there were NCAA guidelines hindering it. But if that's the case, check out those feeds from Furman and Drake, or DePaul in Italy, or really any other school taking these trips. It's clearly allowed.

Frankly, I'm tired of people accepting how Duquesne has always done things. You're welcome to your opinion, of course. However, I suggest you not make personal jabs toward someone's education, especially when that person actually did more research than you did. I didn't take any personal shots at you. All I said was that you were making excuses. It came off that way, as you used the example of what other schools were or were not doing. You then decided to get juvenile. Don't post something on a message board and then not expect to get criticized when you haven't provided the full information.

Maybe I care too much. If so, I'm sorry, moderators.

 

8/07/2019 9:49 am  #10


Re: Bahamas Trip

mjp1542 wrote:

No, I'm a passionate fan of my alma mater, who attended almost every game during the Edgar/Porter days when I was there. I have followed and attended games almost every chance I've gotten since graduating and moving out of the area. I work in public relations and social media. It's my job to do the things that I don't think Duquesne is doing very well right now.

You said this is how other schools are handling the event. I dove deeper to get more information. To me, it seemed like you were making the point that Duquesne wasn't doing anything differently than the other schools. Two points to that:

1. Yes, they are doing things differently. They haven't used their social media channels to promote the team and what it has been doing since July 10th, including this trip to the Bahamas. The other teams have.

2. Even if those schools weren't doing much, why shouldn't we strive to be better? That's been a Duquesne problem for years. Striving for mediocrity. I thought it was changing.

I apologize if you took what I said too personally. And for a while I considered that maybe there were NCAA guidelines hindering it. But if that's the case, check out those feeds from Furman and Drake, or DePaul in Italy, or really any other school taking these trips. It's clearly allowed.

Frankly, I'm tired of people accepting how Duquesne has always done things. You're welcome to your opinion, of course. However, I suggest you not make personal jabs toward someone's education, especially when that person actually did more research than you did. I didn't take any personal shots at you. All I said was that you were making excuses. It came off that way, as you used the example of what other schools were or were not doing. You then decided to get juvenile. Don't post something on a message board and then not expect to get criticized when you haven't provided the full information.

Maybe I care too much. If so, I'm sorry, moderators.

Nothing in my post was making an excuse. NOTHING.  Don't make accusations and not expect push back.  If you are a Hammer...everything looks like a Nail.

 

8/07/2019 10:03 am  #11


Re: Bahamas Trip

OK, I guess I analyzed your post incorrectly. Like I said, I'm passionate about Duquesne basketball, and I'm not willing to continue to accept the status quo.

The other schools you mentioned are doing much more than Duquesne to promote their brand. That, and Duquesne's unacceptable lack of coverage since July 10th, was the real focus of my post. You took one line from what I said and attacked me personally. And you want to talk about hammers and nails.

Pushing back is fine. I like a good, well-thought-out discussion and even an argument. But you couldn't stop at that. You had to get juvenile.

I've been a Duquesne fan for 25 years. You came around when KD arrived. I've enjoyed a lot of your posts, and you bring a very interesting take on things having seen our coach and how he's operated long before he arrived at Duquesne. I appreciate that. Just like I'd hope you appreciate those of us who have suffered for countless years (quite of few on here for way longer than myself). Let's just keep it civil, OK?
 

 

8/07/2019 10:19 am  #12


Re: Bahamas Trip

MJP, there are many other passionate fans who also feel like DU's lack of publicity is very disappointing.  I also thought that there may have been some restriction on publicity of Foreign Tours.  I actually went to the NCAA website looking for a regulation. I thought maybe I just missed finding it, but sadly from looking at what other schools are doing it appears to be a case of DU apathy.  It is hard to be a DU fan.

 

8/07/2019 10:21 am  #13


Re: Bahamas Trip

I checked Zach's twitter account,
He wrote he received one email with notes about the trip.
No media people were invited to the open practices.
Once again, the university screws it up.
Over 40 mil to renovate Palumbo; a coach making 7 figure salary
and a start on rejuvenating the program and now lack of info on the trip.
It would be refreshing if the school stated that it was the 'powers to be' decided
the publicity was unseemly for the school or that KD was concerned the team would become overconfident.
Because of this silence, rumors and speculation run rampant.
A job well done by the adminstration.

 

8/07/2019 10:43 am  #14


Re: Bahamas Trip

The social media coverage, including videos set to music, player intros, interesting nuggets, all was much improved during last season. We were moving in the right direction. For it to go silent just a month before this trip makes almost zero sense. If there is a reason for it, come out and say it. A lot of people (for our standards) are calling them out, even publicly. But now we just sit here and wonder and guess and get angry.

All I know is, the athletic department in general is posting things (though even that's been light). Women's basketball posts things all the time. But our supposed marquee team, which is in the Bahamas on a team-building excursion, has nothing. It's great seeing the guys on the team posting videos and pics on their own Instagram and Twitter. But I expect more from the university.

 

8/07/2019 10:51 am  #15


Re: Bahamas Trip

CLK wrote:

MJP, there are many other passionate fans who also feel like DU's lack of publicity is very disappointing.  I also thought that there may have been some restriction on publicity of Foreign Tours.  I actually went to the NCAA website looking for a regulation. I thought maybe I just missed finding it, but sadly from looking at what other schools are doing it appears to be a case of DU apathy.  It is hard to be a DU fan.

CLK, I did the same thing searching the NCAA rules and came to the same conclusion as you did. I don't get it at all.

Econ69 and mjp1542, I totally agree with you that the silence has turned this trip into a big negative from a fan's perspective.
 

 

8/07/2019 10:56 am  #16


Re: Bahamas Trip

Totally agree on all points made in this thread - out of curiosity, has anyone reached out to the athletics department/AD regarding the lack of coverage? If so, have they provided any response?

 

8/07/2019 11:25 am  #17


Re: Bahamas Trip

Just checked the official website and there is -NADA, NOTHING.  It is a game day and we have NADA. This is the same SID that we have had during the complacency years of Colleary and Amodio. I am excited about this team and there is NADA officially.  Let’s go , SID!  Stoke my excitement.

     Thread Starter
 

8/07/2019 11:30 am  #18


Re: Bahamas Trip

I wonder if someone is leaving the school--such as the SID or the AD.
But my speculation is exactly what creates problems.

 

8/07/2019 11:49 am  #19


Re: Bahamas Trip

NYCDuke wrote:

Totally agree on all points made in this thread - out of curiosity, has anyone reached out to the athletics department/AD regarding the lack of coverage? If so, have they provided any response?

I have reached out, yes. No response yet, but I just sent today.

 

8/07/2019 12:39 pm  #20


Re: Bahamas Trip

Why should anyone have to contact the athletic director to have them do their jobs?   Seriously why?  What does one have to ask why haven’t you posted any original social media content for men’s basketball since 7/10/19?

And even if someone is out for an extended period of time, no other person in the athletic department has an iPhone? They can’t take their iphone, take a picture of practice or the plane ride and tweet it?   

It’s pure laziness.

Last edited by A83 (8/07/2019 2:05 pm)

 

8/07/2019 2:13 pm  #21


Re: Bahamas Trip

Remember, they did post this job opening via twitter, maybe it has something to do with the nothingness.  Director of Production position for all athletic teams.  It has been filled I assume, because the job is not listed on the school web site any longer.   Maybe they are busy with Fall sports.   IDK.

Last edited by townsonkid (8/07/2019 2:17 pm)

 

8/07/2019 2:24 pm  #22


Re: Bahamas Trip

Didn't we have regular reports on the Ireland trip four years ago? Updates on GoDuquesne.com and social media, photos, videos, game summaries, off-court activities for the team, a youth basketball clinic they ran, etc. I really don't understand the media blackout around this trip. I suspect it has more to do with cost-cutting than laziness, but that's just speculation. 

 

8/07/2019 2:37 pm  #23


Re: Bahamas Trip

townsonkid wrote:

Remember, they did post this job opening via twitter, maybe it has something to do with the nothingness.  Director of Production position for all athletic teams.  It has been filled I assume, because the job is not listed on the school web site any longer.   Maybe they are busy with Fall sports.   IDK.

I just took a picture, captioned it and tweeted it.   The entire process took less than one minute.  I’m sure they could find time to do that 3 or 4 times a week.   

Pure laziness.

 

8/07/2019 5:48 pm  #24


Re: Bahamas Trip

For those interested.  Click below for live tweets from the Bahamas for tonight's game.  Thank you Trent.

https://twitter.com/taweigand

 

Board footera

 

Powered by Boardhost. Create a Free Forum

LINKS


DUQUESNE SITES



  • Pittsburgh Sports Now