Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/13/2019 7:47 am  #1

Derrick Alston

Sitting here with my faithful beagle and lab soundly asleep and just puttering around on the Net. Discovered basketball-reference.com. Interesting to look back on Dukes that have had a cup of coffee in the NBA. No one matches Mike James and Norm Nixon, of course. Derrick had a great career at Duquesne.
https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/a/alstode01.html

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/13/2019 8:22 am  #2

Re: Derrick Alston

Nixon and James by far had the best runs. Then, it's probably Si Green, then Chuck Cooper, Mickey Davis, and Mike Barr for players who stuck for a while, but were journeymen. For other local guys, Bill Knight of course is up there with Nixon, with Charles Smith being below them, but above Mike James. If you want to go regional, of course Jerry West leaves them all in the dust, then you have Maurice Stokes, who was the first black superstar in the NBA, preceding Bill Russell by a year.

8/13/2019 8:48 am  #3

Good summary '81. I had forgotten all about Stokes. Now, if Caroll had gotten Danny Fortson to come here..... 

WE ARE CREEPING UP TO THE SECOND FLOOR....

8/13/2019 1:19 pm  #4

KenOTR73 wrote:

Good summary '81. I had forgotten all about Stokes. Now, if Caroll had gotten Danny Fortson to come here..... 

Shoot, If Red had listened to Moe Becker, and Andy Zezza.

8/22/2019 1:01 pm  #5

8/22/2019 4:09 pm  #6

Congrats to Derrick on his Head Coaching job.  Hope to see him coaching in the NBA someday.  He came to the Dukes with little experience but good athleticism for a big guy; and worked hard to make himself into an NBA player.  A well deserved opportunity for Derrick.

Board footera