Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/20/2019 1:39 pm  #1

8/20/2019 1:42 pm  #2

Re: OOC Schedule has been Announced

11.5 Princeton (PPG) 175
11.12 Lamar ( La Roche) 217
11.15 Lipscomb (La Roche) 45
11.21 Indiana State (Bahamas) 208
11.22 Air Force (Bahamas) 243
11.24 Loyola Marymount (Bahamas) 134
12.4 VMI ( La Roche) 288
12.9 Columbia (La Roche) 215
12.14 Radford (Akron) 122
12.21 and 12.22 UAB/Austin Peay (St. Pete, FL) 128/147
12.29 Marshall (Cleveland) 157

Numbers after site locations are their Kenpoms in 2019

Last edited by yak-rbc (8/20/2019 1:50 pm)

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

8/20/2019 2:06 pm  #3

12-0 is possible, right?

8/20/2019 2:22 pm  #4

Possible.

Lipscomb stands out but they were senior heavy and lost their head coach. They will probably take a few steps back.

Princeton and Austin Peay sound like they are on the rise. We already know how tough Radford and Marshall can be on some teams.

I mean, they are probably all individually games we *should* win, especially since none are on the road.

But how likely is it really that we *should* win all of them collectively

I hate myself for loving you. Quoting me without the expressed written consent of the National Hockey League is prohibited.

8/20/2019 2:43 pm  #5

If we plan on getting a bid to something better than the CBI, we better win 11 of those 12 games.

8/20/2019 2:47 pm  #6

12-0 possible, 9-3/10-2 probably more likely. Princeton's a tough team to open up against. Doesn't Air Force play a similar style with the patient, motion offense? See the NJIT game last year. Lipscomb should be down, but Austin Peay, UAB and Radford won't be pushovers. Not bad as Duquesne non-conference schedules go. Only one team from a true bottom-feeder conference and that's Lamar.

8/20/2019 3:07 pm  #7

They play one less than the maximum 13 games, but no Bobby Mo? No excuse for that. St. Francis is one of the favorites in the NEC, why not them?

8/20/2019 3:28 pm  #8

duq81 wrote:

They play one less than the maximum 13 games, but no Bobby Mo? No excuse for that. St. Francis is one of the favorites in the NEC, why not them?

I believe the maximum amount of games allowed is 31 games. I may be wrong on this as the rules are always changing with regards to how those in season tournaments are counted.

12 non - con , 18 conference and the A-10 1st round = 31. So, I think DU is o,k,

8/20/2019 3:29 pm  #9

It's really unfortunate that in a year when the Palumbo Center isn't available, we couldn't get either Pitt or Robert Morris on the schedule. I know that isn't all Duquesne's fault but still. Heck, play St. Francis in Johnstown or Altoona like we did a few years ago. That would make more sense to me than bringing in the likes of Columbia, VMI, Lamar and Lipscomb to LaRoche's 1200-seat gym. And would it really hurt to play a true road game or two on the non-conference schedule to help prepare for the conference season? 

8/20/2019 3:43 pm  #10

ghost wrote:

I believe the maximum amount of games allowed is 31 games. I may be wrong on this as the rules are always changing with regards to how those in season tournaments are counted.

12 non - con , 18 conference and the A-10 1st round = 31. So, I think DU is o,k,

The maximum is 29 without in-season tournaments, 31 with tournaments, with no more than 27 of those games outside the tournaments. The conference tournament does not count against that limit. The Dukes have 25 non-tourney games and 5 tourney games. So yes, they could have scheduled another non-conference game if they so chose. 

Last edited by DennisC91 (8/20/2019 3:44 pm)

8/20/2019 3:57 pm  #11

ghost wrote:

duq81 wrote:

The A10 Tournament doesn't count towards the 31 games.

8/20/2019 10:20 pm  #12

Is Lipscomb really 45 in KenPom?

What is the Dukes ranking?

8/20/2019 11:04 pm  #13

phil95 wrote:

What is the Dukes ranking?

Last season. KenPom hasn't updated yet.

8/21/2019 7:21 am  #14

Sad, last night on KDKA news, Josh Taylor was doing the sports, at both at 6 and 11pm, he mentioned the schedule and site changes for this season, and both times they only clip they had of the Dukes was from the city game last year, and it was 2 pitt highlights, a layup and a dunk.   
So for Joe Yinzer, who doesnt follow bball or DU, now he has no idea whats going on, PPG, LaRoche, Palumbo, Cooper.....grrrreat!

Last edited by townsonkid (8/21/2019 7:22 am)

8/21/2019 8:31 am  #15

townsonkid wrote:

Sad, last night on KDKA news, Josh Taylor was doing the sports, at both at 6 and 11pm, he mentioned the schedule and site changes for this season, and both times they only clip they had of the Dukes was from the city game last year, and it was 2 pitt highlights, a layup and a dunk.   
So for Joe Yinzer, who doesnt follow bball or DU, now he has no idea whats going on, PPG, LaRoche, Palumbo, Cooper.....grrrreat!

It's not KDKA's job to do this. It's Duquesne's job to publicize the program. KD is not going to spend much time on subjects of limited interest. We may not like it, but right now, Dukes basketball is a subject of limited interest to the general public. There's wall to wall coverage of the Steelers because there's a market for that coverage. Every year Pitt has billboards up promoting the upcoming season. Where are our billboards?

8/21/2019 9:10 am  #16

phil95 wrote:

Yep, end of last season's ranking. They were Atlantic Sun co-champs with Liberty but lost to them in the conference championship game, which got them an automatic bid to the NIT. Ran off wins against Davidson, UNC-Greensboro, NC State and Wichita State before losing to Texas in the NIT championship game. Lost their three leading scorers from that team and five of the top six, plus their coach moved to crosstown rival Belmont. No seniors on this year's roster. Should be down a bit from last year, but won't be pushovers.

8/21/2019 9:30 am  #17

Lipscomb web page lists 2 seniors

8/21/2019 9:45 am  #18

Indeed, I was looking at the roster on ESPN.com which hasn't updated class years, my bad. Two seniors, one returning starter. Handful of other players who played supporting roles last season. Out of 16 total players on roster, 12 are freshmen and sophomores.

8/21/2019 9:58 am  #19

DennisC91 wrote:

It's really unfortunate that in a year when the Palumbo Center isn't available, we couldn't get either Pitt or Robert Morris on the schedule. I know that isn't all Duquesne's fault but still. Heck, play St. Francis in Johnstown or Altoona like we did a few years ago. That would make more sense to me than bringing in the likes of Columbia, VMI, Lamar and Lipscomb to LaRoche's 1200-seat gym. And would it really hurt to play a true road game or two on the non-conference schedule to help prepare for the conference season? 

I liked the series with Robert Morris and St. Francis as supporting local teams and getting tune up games at the same time (at least in theory). I especially think we should be playing Robert Morris this year. They used Palumbo last year and I hate to end the series on a losing note. I wouldn't want either of those series to continue to be home and homes though. Both schools have played much worse teams in smaller arenas than ours on away only basis. The series don't have to be annual, maybe alternate them, and maybe give them away games every few games. With the series formerly being home and home I'd be concerned with how the appearance of away games with them would be interpreted though.

I was afraid the non-conference season would be a bunch of games against mediocre teams in a nearly empty giant arena. I'm happy we chose to find an alternate arena instead of letting that happen, but I wonder if there was a better solution. Fitzgerald Fieldhouse used to be our home arena. I'm not saying it's a great alternative to be playing "home" games on your rival's campus, but at least it would be bigger and closer. UPMC Events Center would be farther away, but not really any less accessible. At least it would be a decent facility and I'd have to imagine RMU would be willing to work with us after we let them use Palumbo last year. CMU's arena is totally outdated, but is pretty similar in size to LaRoche's and again would be much more accessible. Playing at LaRoche is better than playing in front of a few thousand fans and 15,000 empty seats in an arena that's tough for basketball, but I think we could have done better. I really hope we set up busing or some transportation plan to get interested students to the games. With the usual turnout even on campus, it probably wouldn't be many, but without a plan we likely have no student participation.

I had hoped that we'd use the lack of an arena as a strength of sorts and set up home and homes on the road this year, so we could load the home schedule next year when the Coop opens. I'm not saying play the entire schedule on the road, but I would have expected some. I especially would have liked to see a road game this year against a West Virginia, Penn State, Temple, Notre Dame, Xavier, Cincinnati, Ohio State kind of team with a return game next year, even if it had to be at PPG.

The schedule is better than I had feared it would be. As late as they are releasing it, I'm sure alot of work was done to make the best of a tough situation. Unfortunately, it's not as good as I had hoped it would be though. Hopefully next year's will be better.

8/21/2019 10:05 am  #20

8/21/2019 10:21 am  #21

I'm OK with La Roche since, so far, it only involves 4 non con games.  Some things I hope they have considered:

1. As someone else said, they need to provide access to that site for students who want to attend

2. As a season ticket holder (who admittedly will already miss at least 2 of the non con home games due to work), the AD needs to make sure that they consider parking and general access to La Roche for us and have smooth entry and exit.  Information must be clear and complete

3. A10 games should be at PPG.  Unlike others, I like PPG and don't think it's terrible for basketball.  It certainly isn't as bad as the old Civic/Mellon Arena for BB even though at the height in the 70's it was often filled.  But A10 games shouldn't be at La Roche.   Using Pitt or RMU would be preferable if PPG isn't a good site.

8/21/2019 11:00 am  #22

I heard from a reasonably reliable university source yesterday that the deals are just about done to split all conference games between RMU & PPG.That seems promising.

The OOC schedule is better than last year's but not good enough to get a 22 win team near an at-large bid to the NIT. Given the strength of the teams at the top of the conference, I just don't understand the goals for the season.

I certainly hope the coach & administration feel differently about the other postseason tournaments than they did last year. There is enough talent & experience here to get some really positive momentum going into year 4 of the Dambrot regime with even a modest postseason run. This is doubly true with the promise of a new arena.

8/21/2019 12:28 pm  #23

I don't think that sweeping this schedule is out of the question but there are potential issues in this schedule as alot of these teams are very capable of having a good season and beating us. 

Curious to see what everyone thinks is the toughest game.

8/21/2019 12:43 pm  #24

I know we play Air Force in the Bahamas.   But I guess we are a part of the A10/ MW challenge?

8/21/2019 12:54 pm  #25

Mountain West challenge starts next year.  Air Force just a coincidence.  My vote for toughest opponent is Marshall

Board footera