Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/03/2019 9:40 am  #1

Bahamas trip, upcoming

end of November, Dukes are scheduled to be in the Bahamas again.  After seeing those islands get pounded by the hurricane, is there any chance those games are cancelled?   Could the tournament move to another location, stateside maybe?   I never heard of a hurricane moving at 1 mph, Bahamas got destroyed.   

9/03/2019 12:55 pm  #2

Re: Bahamas trip, upcoming

townsonkid wrote:

end of November, Dukes are scheduled to be in the Bahamas again.  After seeing those islands get pounded by the hurricane, is there any chance those games are cancelled?   Could the tournament move to another location, stateside maybe?   I never heard of a hurricane moving at 1 mph, Bahamas got destroyed.   

Good question.

9/03/2019 3:09 pm  #3

It probably depends on which part of the Bahamas is hosting the Tournament.  I think most of the damage was in the northern islands.

9/03/2019 8:09 pm  #4

I would expect that the participating teams would be looking at a new venue to keep their schedules.

The Bahamas are destroyed. Terrible storm, stalled out over the islands for so long!  Devastating.

9/03/2019 8:54 pm  #5

applecorps wrote:

I would expect that the participating teams would be looking at a new venue to keep their schedules.

The Bahamas are destroyed. Terrible storm, stalled out over the islands for so long!  Devastating.

Not sure which optics would be worse...cancelling a tournament that could be held in an area that desperately needs an influx of capital or playing the tournament in an area that is as devastated as the Bahamas. They will have to decide soon...not good either way.  Tough year for the Dukes....tougher for the Bahamas.

9/03/2019 9:25 pm  #6

Dsnyder15 wrote:

applecorps wrote:

Not sure which optics would be worse...cancelling a tournament that could be held in an area that desperately needs an influx of capital or playing the tournament in an area that is as devastated as the Bahamas. They will have to decide soon...not good either way.  Tough year for the Dukes....tougher for the Bahamas.

Yes indeed. I would guess that if it's an area that was lightly impacted, they may play. If there was substantial damage, they'll move it.

9/04/2019 7:04 am  #7

Isn't it a little bit silly to worry about basketball at a time when the Bahamas have been ravaged? Come on, folks, be a little realistic. Life is more than a game with 10-foot hoops.

9/04/2019 7:27 am  #8

The northern two islands were devastated, and we need to pray for and help these people.  The Res Cross has a relief fund where you can donate.

https://www.redcross.org/

The games, however,  are scheduled to be played in Bimini.  Bimini is 150 miles south of Freeport where the hurricane hit.  I doubt there has been any significant damage. 

Last edited by CLK (9/04/2019 7:39 am)

9/04/2019 8:34 am  #9

kneeguy wrote:

Isn't it a little bit silly to worry about basketball at a time when the Bahamas have been ravaged? Come on, folks, be a little realistic. Life is more than a game with 10-foot hoops.

You're chastising people who posted comments that are primarily about concern over the people impacted by the hurricane.

9/04/2019 7:39 pm  #10

CLK wrote:

The northern two islands were devastated, and we need to pray for and help these people.  The Res Cross has a relief fund where you can donate.

https://www.redcross.org/

The games, however,  are scheduled to be played in Bimini.  Bimini is 150 miles south of Freeport where the hurricane hit.  I doubt there has been any significant damage. 

Agreed, CLK. Bimini is only 55 miles east of Miami Beach.

Board footera