Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/13/2019 2:05 pm  #1

Frankie Hughes out for the year

He posted online hes out for year with knee problem.  Expect Maceo to get a lot playing time as a freshman!

9/13/2019 3:23 pm  #2

Re: Frankie Hughes out for the year

lilpav30 wrote:

He posted online hes out for year with knee problem. Expect Maceo to get a lot playing time as a freshman!

Should be some added minutes for Tavian also.

9/13/2019 3:25 pm  #3

lilpav30 wrote:

He posted online hes out for year with knee problem. Expect Maceo to get a lot playing time as a freshman!

That eases the logjam at that position. My guess is that he'll not play again for us.

9/13/2019 3:27 pm  #4

Not again.  What is it with duqmbb and knee injuries?  I wish Frankie a speedy and full recovery.  Looks like Miller will also be getting a lot of playing time. 

9/13/2019 3:27 pm  #5

WashPaRick wrote:

lilpav30 wrote:

Should be some added minutes for Tavian also.

Lamar as well. Maybe even a few spot minutes for one of the other freshman guards.

9/13/2019 4:52 pm  #6

Frankie’s shooting may have been hot and cold; but he has legit P-5 type size and physicality at the 2-spot.  He was also a strong defender.  It could hurt us especially against the bigger more physical guards and small forwards.

9/13/2019 6:25 pm  #7

levon1975 wrote:

Frankie’s shooting may have been hot and cold; but he has legit P-5 type size and physicality at the 2-spot.  He was also a strong defender.  It could hurt us especially against the bigger more physical guards and small forwards.

Defense is the one factor that's not always visible to us fans. That said, KD benched him in favor of Lamar at the end of last season.

9/13/2019 6:51 pm  #8

I hate to lose Frankie this year.  I was hoping for bigger things from him this year.  At a minimum he gave us more experience and depth. 

So here is an interesting question.  Normally a player has 5 years to use up his 4 years of eligibility, however, I wonder if Frankie will be able to get him back a year for a medical redshirt.  If so, and if he graduates this year it is possible he could be a grad student with two years eligibility.  I think that would make him very marketable.

9/13/2019 7:40 pm  #9

CLK wrote:

I hate to lose Frankie this year.  I was hoping for bigger things from him this year.  At a minimum he gave us more experience and depth. 

So here is an interesting question.  Normally a player has 5 years to use up his 4 years of eligibility, however, I wonder if Frankie will be able to get him back a year for a medical redshirt.  If so, and if he graduates this year it is possible he could be a grad student with two years eligibility.  I think that would make him very marketable.

NO! You need to miss 2 years due to injury to even have a chance at a 6th year. He used a year as a transfer, he's done after next year. Despite his spotty play, his pedigree is pretty good, so if he's healthy, there will be teams willing to roll the dice. The question is where? Do you look to find a fairly high program that might be thin at his position, and needs a solid backup? Tarin Smith did this. The risk is that you might not play much. Or, do you look lower, and try to find a spot where you might get major minutes? KD was surely aware of this, which is one reason why he's still beating the bushes for talent. Jett plays the 2 as well, so unless Lamar, and Maceo aren't up to the task, I really can't see any reason why Hughes won't at least test the waters.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/tam/genrel/auto_pdf/comp101-3-five-year-clock-ext.pdf

9/14/2019 6:43 am  #10

This sucks.  I always thought he was one of the better athletes on the team, didn't back down from anyone, and was a tough kid.  I feel bad for him first, and second, the team.

9/18/2019 11:32 pm  #11

Has anyone seen any media or school announcement or confirmation of this news?

9/19/2019 7:35 am  #12

Do they bring in another grad transfer to fill the spot?  Someone who can play immediately.   
I agree 81, I doubt he plays for the Dukes again.

9/19/2019 9:25 am  #13

townsonkid wrote:

Do they bring in another grad transfer to fill the spot?  Someone who can play immediately.   
I agree 81, I doubt he plays for the Dukes again.

They have more than enough candidates to fill his spot. If they need a grad transfer to play the 2 next year, that would mean that Maceo, Lamar, and Miller were busts. The only senior on the team is Steele, so most of the team will be back next year. Not much playing time for a grad transfer guard. Any other defections are likely to be a result of a lack of playing time. The only case where I could see one of our main guys leaving would be if we had a disappointing season, and the players lost faith in the future potential of the team. In that case, I could see the fifth year seniors at the very least, exploring their options.

9/19/2019 10:33 am  #14

I was thinking this year, or is the roster already locked in?   I see a bunch of guys who left programs last year that dont have a team now.   Would/could they add one of those now, or is it too late?

9/19/2019 2:12 pm  #15

townsonkid wrote:

I was thinking this year, or is the roster already locked in?   I see a bunch of guys who left programs last year that dont have a team now.   Would/could they add one of those now, or is it too late?

No option. Frankie counts, injured or not, against the limit of 13 scholarships. There’s no such thing as “injured reserve” in college basketball.

9/19/2019 2:16 pm  #16

phil95 wrote:

Has anyone seen any media or school announcement or confirmation of this news?

Only thing that I have seen is a tweet from Frankie. Nothing official.
https://twitter.com/_4l0w/status/1172578563280855040

9/19/2019 9:00 pm  #17

Another add-on to the annual bad news of another 'shoe dropping.....'

9/20/2019 6:21 am  #18

Thanks Phoenix as I truly wasn't sure about the rules.Can a non
athletic scholarship player be added to the roster? Further,  I see it the way Duq81 does as there appear to be other competent players who will step in and hopefully be better while wishing Frankie nothing but the best and maybe he becomes a great comeback story!

9/21/2019 4:44 pm  #19

Judge, they can certainly add a walk on or a non-scholarship player.  They could start the season with 10 scholarship players on the bench; with Hughes, Rotroff and Kelly sidelined.  As long as the Dukes don't have any more injuries, they should have enough depth to start the season - provided that Rotroff's return is fairly imminent (and that is what I have been hearing).

Trib article:  https://triblive.com/sports/duquesnes-frankie-hughes-will-miss-the-2019-2020-season-with-a-knee-injury/

9/21/2019 6:46 pm  #20

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

Judge, they can certainly add a walk on or a non-scholarship player.  They could start the season with 10 scholarship players on the bench; with Hughes, Rotroff and Kelly sidelined.  As long as the Dukes don't have any more injuries, they should have enough depth to start the season - provided that Rotroff's return is fairly imminent (and that is what I have been hearing).

Trib article:  https://triblive.com/sports/duquesnes-frankie-hughes-will-miss-the-2019-2020-season-with-a-knee-injury/

The Dukes always carry some walk-ons to help with practice.  Hughes plays at our deepest position. That, along with the fact that he was one of 4-5 players fighting to fill that spot, as opposed to one of the irreplaceable guys at a thin position, makes his loss less devastating than it would be if he had placed a hammerlock on the position last year.

9/22/2019 8:48 am  #21

"Hughes was one of three Duquesne players to appear in all 32 games last season. He led the team with 71 3-point field goals and his 2.2 per-game average was fifth in the conference. He attempted 219 3-pointers, which was 79.9 percent of his field goal attempts and the seventh-highest total in school history."  From the Trib 

9/22/2019 3:33 pm  #22

FAM wrote:

"Hughes was one of three Duquesne players to appear in all 32 games last season. He led the team with 71 3-point field goals and his 2.2 per-game average was fifth in the conference. He attempted 219 3-pointers, which was 79.9 percent of his field goal attempts and the seventh-highest total in school history."  From the Trib 

32.4% from 3 isn't good though. 33% overall is terrible. He was going to have to improve those numbers if he wanted to hold off Maceo, and Lamar. Moot point now.

9/22/2019 8:53 pm  #23

His shot selection & his being able to continue selecting those shots throughout the season left me scratching my head. Frankie has a great deal to offer. I like his fire, defensive effort, positional size, strength, & experience. 

It is sad to think that the timing of this injury, competition at the position, & his gunning ways have eaten away his long term value to the program. It is certainly a new feeling to have someone with his sophomore accomplishments go down & it not be devastating to the current year's prospects. This is another sign that DU is growing as a program.

Here's to a full & speedy recovery for Frankie. May he find an excellent opportunity in 2020-2021, wherever he may be.

9/22/2019 9:27 pm  #24

phil95 wrote:

His shot selection & his being able to continue selecting those shots throughout the season left me scratching my head. Frankie has a great deal to offer. I like his fire, defensive effort, positional size, strength, & experience. 

It is sad to think that the timing of this injury, competition at the position, & his gunning ways have eaten away his long term value to the program. It is certainly a new feeling to have someone with his sophomore accomplishments go down & it not be devastating to the current year's prospects. This is another sign that DU is growing as a program.

Here's to a full & speedy recovery for Frankie. May he find an excellent opportunity in 2020-2021, wherever he may be.

For once we got a break in that his position is the deepest on the team. An injury to Weathers, or Carry would crush us. Mike Hughes would also be a major loss, but at least we have Steele.

Board footera