Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/03/2019 8:12 pm  #1

Sincere Carry will wear #10

A twitter string from Adam Lindner of the Duquesne Duke.

THREAD:

I had the opportunity to sit down and cover a variety of topics with Duquesne sophomore point guard Sincere Carry (@SinCarry3) on Tuesday, ranging from his favorite TV shows to his goals for his sophomore season. ...

Among the more interesting things we discussed was his jersey number.

Carry sported No. 35 in 2018-19, but was then listed as No. 24 on the team's official roster in early July. One problem: No. 24 is retired for Willie Somerset, a DU basketball star in the early 1960s. ...

On Tuesday, Carry confirmed he was trading in his No. 35 jersey for another set of digits: No. 10.

Seasoned Duquesne basketball fans may be confused — after all, the legendary Norm Nixon donned No. 10 during his Duquesne career from 1973-1977.

Turns out, @DuqMBB head coach Keith Dambrot reached out to Nixon in regards to Carry wearing the number, and Nixon obliged.

Carry explained that his cousin — who he described as "more like a big brother" — passed away recently at age 24. Carry wanted to honor his cousin with his jersey number, but 24 was retired for Somerset. So, Carry began brainstorming for other ideas.

Here's the full quote:

"I’m wearing No. 10 this year. I was trying to find a number to represent my cousin, who was more like a big brother to me, (who) passed away. He died at 24, so I was going to wear No. 24, but that number was retired (for Willie Somerset). Then, ‘Coach D’ (Keith Dambrot) got ...

in contact with Norm Nixon, and he was nice enough to say that he would un-retire it so I could wear it. My cousin, he wore No. 10 for high school and stuff, so I (am) going to wear it, because I’m going to dedicate my basketball career to him." — Carry

The full feature, spotlighting Duquesne's standout floor general, will be available in next Thursday's edition of @theduquesneduke (in-print and online at duqsm.com).

https://twitter.com/adamjlindner/status/1179839953263566848?s=21

10/04/2019 9:25 pm  #2

Re: Sincere Carry will wear #10

He is a unique talent and those are big shoes to fill. I grew up watching Norm Nixon and i like it

10/09/2019 6:47 pm  #3

10/09/2019 8:07 pm  #4

10/10/2019 8:12 am  #5

Did you read some of the comments attached to the PG story?  Some people are just out there.

10/10/2019 11:16 am  #6

Here's the full article by Adam Lindner, who broke this story, in the Duquesne Duke:
http://www.duqsm.com/sincere-carry-to-honor-close-friend-with-new-jersey-number/

10/13/2019 5:15 pm  #7

I'm looking for 15.5 pts. 6a. 3.5r. and 2 steals from Sincere this season. Is that too much to ask for?

Board footera