Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

SEE INFORMATION UNDER MEN'S BASKETBALL BELOW:

COACH DRU HAS NOW FILLED ALL OF HIS COACHING POSITIONS

BRONNY JAMES REMAINS IN THE NBA DRAFT

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/10/2013 3:34 pm  #1

Sporting News' Top 10 PGs

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-06-10/college-basketball-player-rankings-2013-14-top-10-point-guards-marcus-smart#slide/9

#9 on their list is TJ McConnell.

Last season’s Wildcats had a terrific player at point guard, Mark Lyons, but not a terrific point guard. McConnell fits the mold better, and he should elevate the wealth of talent that will surround him. McConnell was averaging 5.5 assists when he last played at Duquesne. What’ll he manage when his teammates include perhaps four future NBA players?  

Incidentally, Derrick Colter did not make the list. Two other sophomores and a freshman did.

6/10/2013 4:34 pm  #2

Re: Sporting News' Top 10 PGs

ElDuque wrote:

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2013-06-10/college-basketball-player-rankings-2013-14-top-10-point-guards-marcus-smart#slide/9

Incidentally, Derrick Colter did not make the list. Two other sophomores and a freshman did.

C'mon man, that was uncalled for. I know you don't care for the guy, but you're dogging him like he's a criminal or something. He plays for Duquesne, how about some support for him instead of the guy who stabbed Ron in the back, and allowed GA to fire him.

Last edited by duq81 (6/10/2013 4:38 pm)

6/10/2013 8:10 pm  #3

Where do you see support for McConnell? The last thing I posted about him was a personal wish that Duquesne would end his career in the NCAA Tournament.

It gets frustrating with people always putting words in my mouth or presuming stuff on my part.

This is the last time I respond to something like this.

6/10/2013 9:27 pm  #4

ElDuque wrote:

Where do you see support for McConnell? The last thing I posted about him was a personal wish that Duquesne would end his career in the NCAA Tournament.

It gets frustrating with people always putting words in my mouth or presuming stuff on my part.

Simple, you posted a positive article about him, then used it to make a snide remark about a current player. I don't see how you can defend that. I can live with the article, but the Colter remark was uncalled for. It's the kind of remark I would expect about a player on a team we dislike (Pitt, RMU, WVU), not one of our own.

6/10/2013 10:03 pm  #5

Sorry ElDuque, comes across as a cheap shot.  Give Colter a chance, after all he's was just a freshman without much support.  No doubt McConnell is talented, but he is the one that broke RE's back, unfairly or not.

6/11/2013 10:52 am  #6

I actually looked at this a little differently. McConnell had Saunders, Clark, Monteiro, and Johnson - all 1,000 point scorers - and while he did well as a freshman, hardly looked like an all-world PG to anyone, even us. His making the SN list is more about the hype that a BCS program like Arizona can generate than anything else. Same could be said for the Kentucky freshman who was what, #2 or 3 without ever having played a game.

I didn't do the research to see how Colter's FR stats matched up against the players who made the list, so I don't know how they compare. It wouldn't matter much if he stood out as a scorer, ballhandler, playmaker, etc., though, because Duquesne would never get that much love from a publication like the Sporting News.

But don't mind me ... just go about the business of turning anything I post into me having no brains, no loyalty, or whatever you want.

6/11/2013 11:19 am  #7

ElDuque wrote:

But don't mind me ... just go about the business of turning anything I post into me having no brains, no loyalty, or whatever you want.

Isn't this statement you putting words in his mouth or presuming stuff on his part?

Just sayin'

I don't think anyone is saying any of those things about you. My only complaints about you right now is how rigid approach to the program is and that at the moment, your preferred grapes are a the sour kind. 81 and I tend to see eye to eye on a lot of issues right now, which puts the two of us at odds with you.  I won't speak on his behalf, but I've never confused you for dumb or disloyal.

Last edited by steve19981 (6/11/2013 11:28 am)

6/11/2013 11:21 am  #8

duq81 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Simple, you posted a positive article about him, then used it to make a snide remark about a current player. I don't see how you can defend that. I can live with the article, but the Colter remark was uncalled for. It's the kind of remark I would expect about a player on a team we dislike (Pitt, RMU, WVU), not one of our own.

I did not take El Duque's comments to be snide, but that Colter did not get any love in the artice.  Colter had a tremendous Freshman year from a stat perspective averaging 14 points and 5 assits a game while making the A10 all freshman team.  I get El Duque's point of comparison betwen Colter & TJ.

6/11/2013 11:41 am  #9

steve19981 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Isn't this statement you putting words in his mouth or presuming stuff on his part?

Just sayin'

OK Steve here is my complaint about you (since you are dishing out complaints), it is becoming very obvious that the only time you come on this board is to bust El Duque's stones. In that sense you are becoming a troll.

6/11/2013 11:48 am  #10

CLK wrote:

steve19981 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Just sayin'

OK Steve here is my complaint about you (since you are dishing out complaints), it is becoming very obvious that the only time you come on this board is to bust El Duque's stones. In that sense you are becoming a troll.

I was concerned that someone might feel that way based on that excerpt.  See my expanded post which I think explains my reasoning for posting it nicely.

Besides. It's a slow news. Look forward to talking summer league with people when the time comes. Also, I wouldn't call framing an argument why I disagree with his stance on the current standing of Duquesne basketball and athletics trolling or targeting.

Last edited by steve19981 (6/11/2013 11:51 am)

6/11/2013 12:06 pm  #11

CLK, thanks for having my back.

Steve, maybe I read too much into duq81's post, but with the exception of the occasional playful jab from Mulder, most of what I post gets dissected like it came from outer space. I can excuse some things based on my typing too fast or not stopping to proofread stuff because I can understand how those things can be confusing, but for the most part the things that I communicate are not all that difficult. It's clear to me that people are reacting to me and their perceptions of me, rather than what I post.

Go ahead and read what duq81 wrote. Not just once, but twice. He and I have no disagreements of which I know. We've had different perspectives on many topics for years and have been able to exchange those without carryover.

I don't understand the reactions above. I would have more to say on McConnell, but it would come across as either sour grapes or "dredging up the past." It's neither.

I stand by that.

6/11/2013 12:28 pm  #12

You have to keep in mind that your posts have context with what you've written previously. You've posted that you don't like Colter's skill set, decision making and in general think he's overrated (not your words, mine in summation). When someone reads that last comment of the original post, as duq81, and prince of pilsner, it's not unreasonable to think that they might connect the dots and take it as a jab. I did the same thing. Saying Colter was not included is unnessary, because I doubt there are any Duquesne fans who would suggest that he should be part of the list.

If it was not intended to be a jab at Colter, thank you for the clarrification.

6/11/2013 1:02 pm  #13

Yes, and there's plenty of context regarding my feelings about McConnell, Sean Miller, preseason rankings, BCS schools, media perception of Duquesne, etc., none of which has ever been presented in a subtle manner.

Listen, I think you guys want to bait me on Colter, but I'm not going to bite. There's nothing inaccurate about what I've said in the past. He shoots too much and he doesn't shoot well. Maybe with all the new bigs and the chance for Ferry to fully implement his offense this will change and I'll be singing a different tune about Colter. But that's not my point here. Heck, TSN could have even singled Tra'vaughn White, since he was the leading scorer in the JUCO ranks and his primary position is PG.

I'd have to go back and look at the list, but I'm pretty sure I saw no so-called mid-majors on the list.

But let's keep talking about me.

6/11/2013 1:17 pm  #14

ElDuque wrote:

Yes, and there's plenty of context regarding my feelings about McConnell, Sean Miller, preseason rankings, BCS schools, media perception of Duquesne, etc., none of which has ever been presented in a subtle manner.

Listen, I think you guys want to bait me on Colter, but I'm not going to bite. There's nothing inaccurate about what I've said in the past. He shoots too much and he doesn't shoot well. Maybe with all the new bigs and the chance for Ferry to fully implement his offense this will change and I'll be singing a different tune about Colter. But that's not my point here. Heck, TSN could have even singled Tra'vaughn White, since he was the leading scorer in the JUCO ranks and his primary position is PG.

I'd have to go back and look at the list, but I'm pretty sure I saw no so-called mid-majors on the list.

What would I be trying to bait you into? If I wanted to talk Colter I'd talk Colter directly.  We've had that conversation already and I understand your opinion.

6/11/2013 3:03 pm  #15

steve19981 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

What would I be trying to bait you into? If I wanted to talk Colter I'd talk Colter directly.  We've had that conversation already and I understand your opinion.

It is pretty clear to me that this thread has gone personal targeting El Duque (from the very first reply) and then broaden by complaints of El Duque's rigidness and sour grapes. I know El Duque has broad shoulders, and has exercised mature restraint to some of these comments, and in not being baited to try to justify what he has said (as if it required any justification).  I am growing tired of it, however, and it is time to move on.

6/11/2013 4:00 pm  #16

I'm absolutely not trying to bait or target ED. First post was meant to the 81's back in  this conversation as you have had ED's. If I'm targetting him, you're targetting me. Of course, I don't beleive that's the case.

Please note that my first post was not meant to be insulting and that the end logic is that he is none of those things others suggest he is.

But I agree and I'm fine with going back to discussing the Dukes. I won't make it personal, but I'd like for ED to promise to do the same.

Last edited by steve19981 (6/11/2013 4:04 pm)

6/11/2013 4:40 pm  #17

Say what?

While I've lashed at at folks on occasion in other posts, the closest I've come to "making it personal" in this thread is talking about my discussions with duq81. If you look at how I have characterized these discussions, there is nothing by which anyone should be offended. Nor was there, at any time, any effort on my part to "make it personal" with him or anyone else.

Even after this, I have nothing but respect for duq81, who is one of the brightest, funniest and most knowledgeable posters on the board (despite his occasional schmoozefests for Pitt).

So why do you continue to seek concessions of one sort or another from me? Are we in some kind of negotiation?

6/11/2013 5:08 pm  #18

Truth is that McConnel wouldn't have been on the list as a freshman, either.

6/11/2013 7:40 pm  #19

"Like" for the Apluski post.

6/11/2013 8:34 pm  #20

ElDuque wrote:

Say what?

While I've lashed at at folks on occasion in other posts, the closest I've come to "making it personal" in this thread is talking about my discussions with duq81. If you look at how I have characterized these discussions, there is nothing by which anyone should be offended. Nor was there, at any time, any effort on my part to "make it personal" with him or anyone else.

Even after this, I have nothing but respect for duq81, who is one of the brightest, funniest and most knowledgeable posters on the board (despite his occasional schmoozefests for Pitt).

So why do you continue to seek concessions of one sort or another from me? Are we in some kind of negotiation?

You got nice and crappy with me in our last conversation in the Robert Morris conversation.

I just don't like the way you interact people at this point. You act like everyone takes things personally with you and picks everything you write appart. It's a message board. That's what people do. One person states their opinion, another person responds with theres and makes a counterpoint. It keeps going untill one way or the other it ends. Than you do the same and you won't acknowledge it.

On the topic of the list itself. Chaz Williams isn't even mentioned in the guys who just missed the list. Big conference bias for sure.

6/11/2013 8:53 pm  #21

Probably true, McConnell would not have made the list as a freshman.

Nor would he have made it as a sophomore. Not as a Duquesne Duke returning for a junior year on the basis of his 2nd year play. But now he's on the list after sitting out a year and re-emerging for a Big program.

This "list" is about as important as the ratings of recruits that haven't played game one above high school.

We shall see.

6/12/2013 7:41 am  #22

steve19981 wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

Say what?

You got nice and crappy with me in our last conversation in the Robert Morris conversation.

I just don't like the way you interact people at this point. You act like everyone takes things personally with you and picks everything you write appart. It's a message board. That's what people do. One person states their opinion, another person responds with theres and makes a counterpoint. It keeps going untill one way or the other it ends. Than you do the same and you won't acknowledge it.

On the topic of the list itself. Chaz Williams isn't even mentioned in the guys who just missed the list. Big conference bias for sure.

Wait, you don't like the way he interacts with people, this it what it is about?  This is why you follow him like a gadfly to bust his chops at every opportunity because you don't like his personality?  What the heck gives you the right to determine how people interact on this Board?  Listen, El Duque has many many friends on this Board and is well respected as a long time knowledeable fan. We are fortunate to have him as a regular poster on this board.  I am tired of  this thread, as I am sure many other of the readers are.  If you have a problem with him personally send him a message on this board, but keep the personality comments off this board.  This thread is closed!

Last edited by CLK (6/12/2013 7:43 am)

Board footera