Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/05/2019 7:02 pm  #1

Tonight's opener

I am out in California and will be attending Stanford women's season opener so I (unfortunately) can't watch the Dukes' game with Kent State.

Someone please let me know if Bernada Rreshpja gets in the game.  I had assumed all this time that Dan would redshirt her, but after reading her player bio, I got the sense that she indeed will be available.

I'm cautiously excited about her potential as a #2 guard.

Hoping for a strong win tonight.

11/06/2019 6:42 am  #2

Re: Tonight's opener

Team lost a close one at the buzzer 78-76 -  Led most of the way -  As for the 4 newcomers Precious Johnson saw very limited action - Amaya Hamilton was in sweats with a bulky knee brace on - while not a doctor - THAT looked serious - might not play at all this year -  the other two Snezhana and Bernada were in sweats and on the bench. Caroline Elliot had her arm in a sling -  One official made like 90% of the calls - Paige, Nina, Laia were on the bench after fouling out -  Annie Pier and Amanda. Angelina all had 4.

Laia had a nice game (some nice passes in addition to the scoring.

11/06/2019 7:49 am  #3

This was the worst officiated game that I have seen in many a year. These three officials should NEVER work a college game again. Totally inconsistent and favored KSU in the contact department. Fouled out three Of our starters and had three others with Four fouls. Horrible is too polite a word for these officials.

That said, there were many good things to like when the Dukes had their full compliment of players. They moved the ball, took good shots, and gave strong efforts. Nina makes a real difference, especially when she handles the ball. Amaya Hamilton was a strong defensive presence and had ten rebounds. The defense was aggressive, but handicapped all night by the officials. They did allow too many drives and too many open threes and that eventually cost the game. They simply have to seal the middle better and recover to the line better.

A disappointing ending, that could have been reversed with some fairness from the three stripes. This team will get better. They played a good brand of ball.

PS: it was Halle Bovell who was on crutches and looked to have a serious leg injury.

Last edited by HookShot (11/06/2019 7:52 am)

11/06/2019 7:53 am  #4

Amaya Hamilton played.  It was Halle in the knee brace

11/06/2019 10:08 am  #5

I guess it was the opposite scenario to the Men's game last night.  The Men started slow and blew them out in the second half.  I guess the Women had problems in the second half.  After the first quarter the Dukes Women had a big lead and looked to be the better team.  I felt pretty good about what I witnessed in the first quarter.  The team moved the ball well and was very unselfish on the offensive end.  They held Kent to one shot for the most part, and I didn't think Kent had enough to make a serious run.  It was very disappointing to hear that the game was lost.
I have noticed that officiating in general in the Women's games is just awful.  I sometimes wonder how these people get hired, and if they have ever seen a basketball game before?  The female ref, who I've seen before, is responsible for calls that are collectively the most insane that I have ever seen!  In the first quarter, she called a foul on Duquesne, I believe it was on Amanda K that was whistled after the Kent player missed a contested layup and after the ball was rebounded and both players took a few steps and a dribble up the court!  To say the call was late would be a complete understatement.  This particular referee is so bad that she should be permanently banned from ever calling another game at any level.  Coaching in this league must require the patience of Job! 

11/06/2019 11:47 am  #6

Sorry about the Mix Up between Halle and Hamilton.

Have ALWAYS said "Basketball is the WORST Officiated Sport!!  Even with all these "Pass Interferance Debates" and the "holding could be called on every play" mentality that exists in football

Agree about the officiating - Take the Block/Charge Call (s) - Even with the arc - REALLY difficult to do so - Take the basket (2 points) away from Team A -  Maybe send Team B to the line for 2 Free Throws -  FOUR POINT SWING RIGHT THERE!!!  While NOT 100% Scientifically Accurate -  Say Team A Finishes 17-13 -
Had there been Four Games When ONE MORE CALL WENT THEIR WAY -  Maybe they are 21-9 -  Had there been Three games when ONE MORE CALL WENT AGAINST THEM - Maybe  they are 14-16 - 

KIND OF A BIG DIFFERENCE!!!!! - Obviously can't take into consideration Game to Game Momentum etc, and all calls are not equal but still IS a thought.  21-9 probably gets you a tournament bid 14-16 - time for the coach to circulate the resume!!!!

Board footera