Welcome to SHOO-SHOO, RAH-RAH! The Duquesne Dukes Basketball Fan Message Board!
One of America's Great Message Boards - Any Inappropriate Posts Will Be Deleted!

duke-passing

CONGRATULATIONS COACH DRU JOYCE III

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/13/2019 4:20 am  #26

Re: Game Thread - Lamar Cardinals

Correction for Duquesne102 - Davidson is 0-2.  It is early, thankfully, but A10 looks weak (at least weaker than hoped.).  Even VCU struggled to beat North Texas . With Osunyii hurt, Bonnies will continue to struggle.  Based on these early returns, the one bid league pessimists have an argument.

11/13/2019 6:27 am  #27

PhoenixRising2 wrote:

duq81 wrote:

luckymcd wrote:

I remembered this board keeps a good archive, so I looked back to see. I can only find those parts of Phoenix's previews as far back as the Maine game last year on 12/15. At that point we were 349 / 353 in experience and 306 / 353 in height. So we've improved 107 spots in experience and 40 spots in height.

Last year we had no seniors, and no juniors after Mike Lewis, and Craig Randall left. This year, we have a senior, and 3 juniors after losing Frankie, so that's the difference. That said, we're not as inexperienced as that would indicate, because all of our juniors, and sophomores played major minutes last year. You could have a team full of seniors, and juniors, and your team would rate high on that list, but if you had just graduated 5 starters who dominated playing time the previous year, you would now have an old, but inexperienced team. We have guys who have played a lot of minutes. Also, keep in mind that we actually have 3 academic seniors, and a grad student on the team, all of whom play major minutes, so we're not a team full of kids. Next year we'll jump way up that list, which is why we expect to be one of the favorites next year. That said, I think we have enough talent, and experience to make some noise now. GO DUKES!

duq81, good points that can be backed up by KenPom.  KenPom tracks "Minutes Continuity".  He defines it as "determining what percentage of a team’s minutes are played by the same player from last season to this season. Conveniently, the national average happens to be around 50%."
Here are the last 3 years under Dambrot:
2018 - Experience 1.58 years (228 in country); Minutes Continuity 44.5% (217 in country)
2019 - Experience 0.70 years (346 in country); Minutes Continuity 19.6% (333 in country)
2020 to date - Experience 1.44 years (239 in country); Minutes Continuity 53.5% (103 in country)

I will add this stat to the Game Thread.

Excellent! That probably doesn't take into account Steele's experience. Point being, this is not a "green" team like last year. Hopefully, that experience will be the difference in a handful of close games, allowing us to surpass last year's record.

11/13/2019 7:20 am  #28

Evansville beats Kentucky at Kentucky -  Sometimes (especially early in the season) teams are not clicking like we expect -  Last night's game still goes in the W column as opposed to the L column.

11/13/2019 9:23 am  #29

Must be a really terrible loss you guys saw. I watched the Dukes pick up a double digit win, with Maceo Austin and Mike Hughes carrying the team for a while. Dukes are 2-0 now, and I’m happy. Austin and Sincere Carry are both really good players, and Coach Dambrot now has 450 career wins. Cool stuff. I wish your teams better success in the future.

11/13/2019 9:33 am  #30

I think this thread shows how far we've come in just a couple of seasons. While it's all valid, there's a lot of criticism over a 10 point win. Lamar is not a terrible team either. They've won 19, 19, and 20 games in the past three seasons. Obviously, they're not in a stacked conference; and if we play like we did last night we won't win many conference games. It could be a lot worse than a 10 point win on an off night against a legit D-1 team though.

11/13/2019 11:03 am  #31

Lamar was held scoreless in the final 4:02 of the game.  Defensive effort in both games thus far has been above last year. 

11/13/2019 11:36 am  #32

phil95 wrote:

Unfortunately, until the players & coaches can consistently control tempo/pace, treat the ball like the precious object that it is, walk the fine line between swagger & jackassery, be the smarter team, & play super-hard for 40 minutes, they will be doomed to float in the 200-130 range. 

I was thinking the exact same thing!!!!!

We knew Steele wasn't as good as the Princeton game. I also believe that he is much better than this game.

Yeah but he made it when it counted, especially that much needed three ball in the second half

Sin did some very Un-Sin things tonight. This was by far my least favorite of his performances. He looked to have read too many of his own press clippings. He should save the shot celebrations for an evening when his assist to turnover ratio is better than 1:7. Even so, he has certainly shown a real talent for timely scoring & is never afraid.

AGain, my thoughts exactly.  He seemed pretty sloppy and uncontrolled at times tonight, with some very, very uncharacteristic mental lapses

After 2 games, the FT shooting looks great.

Hear........hear...........

Hughes was awesome for 15 of his 18 minutes. The high-risk/low-reward early fouls & technicals are garbage. If he can grow-up the team's chances will go up. His crap & TDM's shot selection force me to believe that accountability is something KD demands only on a case by case basis.

Hmmmmmmmm

Well, those are my 2 games into it overreactions. 

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/13/2019 11:59 am  #33

Obviously happy about the win
That being said, I think Carry is pushing too hard.One thing that was particularly irritating was the in bound pass that was stolen in the second half . I think that was Maceo (who by the way really looks like a hell of a ball player) but the passing was awful as a whole.

11/13/2019 12:33 pm  #34

ElDuque wrote:

Must be a really terrible loss you guys saw. I watched the Dukes pick up a double digit win, with Maceo Austin and Mike Hughes carrying the team for a while. Dukes are 2-0 now, and I’m happy. Austin and Sincere Carry are both really good players, and Coach Dambrot now has 450 career wins. Cool stuff. I wish your teams better success in the future.

From what I can see my friend, you are painting this Board with a very broad brush.  You at least have the courage to post your comments here.  I also see these types of unfair broad brush comments from the pretentious snobs on Twitter who like to trash this board. This is not a homogenic Board.  There are varying viewpoints, and from what I can see are mostly positive.  I do understand, however, how the predictable negative comments from some posters can be grating.  As they say, Welcome to America.

I do miss you my friend, and hope all is well with you.  

11/13/2019 12:45 pm  #35

CLK wrote:

ElDuque wrote:

From what I can see my friend, you are painting this Board with a very broad brush.  You at least have the courage to post your comments here.  I also see these types of unfair broad brush comments from the pretentious snobs on Twitter who like to trash this board. This is not a homogenic Board.  There are varying viewpoints, and from what I can see are mostly positive.  I do understand, however, how the predictable negative comments from some posters can be grating.  As they say, Welcome to America.

I do miss you my friend, and hope all is well with you.  

I was indeed addressing the sceptic skeptics, some of whom seemed resigned to an 0-30 season during the first half against Princeton. I hope people understand that even the best teams find themselves trailing in games even when they go on to win. That's why they play the games, and it's part of the enjoyment. If the Dukes ever went unbeaten through the NCAAs and blew every opponent from the getgo, I would celebrate the feat but probably not enjoy the games as much. I like gritty teams that can come back from a deficit. I like tightly contested games that go down to the wire. And I've got an old heart, but it can take excitement.

11/13/2019 2:02 pm  #36

Pistol was there and it was as most have noted on this Board, but KD is right, when you can win when you don't play well that is very, very important.  One thing I will note that bothers me is our size when we start the game.  When you start TDM we are very small if Steele is not starting alongside MH.  Now I like the talent level, but I just think 6'8", 6'5", 6'5", 5'8" and 6'1" is too small for the A10.  I liked it better when TDM came off the bench to light it up, but I guess KD is not comfortable with Lamar starting and he prefers Steele off the bench.  I would bring TDM and Marcus off the bench - along with Rotroff for a break for the bigs.  Just my preference, but what do I know.  Just keep winning Dukes!!!

11/13/2019 2:05 pm  #37

So nice to see the return of El Duque.  The reality of taking each game seriously and recognizing that kids have off nights on occasion is indeed what makes college hoops fun.  I am thrilled with each win and I think we have a class program now.  Maybe not Duke but I don’t covet that - just enjoying the games and winning when possible.  I graduated in 1971 so had 2 NIT’s and 2 NCAA’s.  The thrill of trying to equal that is enjoyable after all the years of cellar dwelling.

11/13/2019 2:18 pm  #38

kcc173 wrote:

So nice to see the return of El Duque. The reality of taking each game seriously and recognizing that kids have off nights on occasion is indeed what makes college hoops fun. I am thrilled with each win and I think we have a class program now. Maybe not Duke but I don’t covet that - just enjoying the games and winning when possible. I graduated in 1971 so had 2 NIT’s and 2 NCAA’s. The thrill of trying to equal that is enjoyable after all the years of cellar dwelling.

I think the negativity, and yes I am guilty of it myself a lot of times, just comes from all of us hoping year in and year out that this is "the year" and often those dreams can be dashed by a few bad OOC losses, just sort of builds up a karmic fatalism, in a lot of us die hards!  It's hard to beat that feeling at times! We've hit the alarm clock after hearing Sonny and Cher too many times..........

Let's Go Dukes!

Vicimus Atlanticum decem

11/13/2019 6:31 pm  #39

Dukes #93 (1-0) vs Lamar Cardinals #285

I don't think it is negativity.  It is anxiety!  Nothing wrong with saying they didn't do as well as we thought...first half.  I know on any given day anything can happen (Evansville), but with that said, thought we would have done better in the first half.  I get all that, but we need at least an NIT bid this year.  Go Dukes!!! 

11/13/2019 6:37 pm  #40

Just to be clear, I am not critical of being critical at all.  That is a function of the board.  I do, however, prefer it to be team oriented rather than on an individual player.  I would be lying if I said I was not disturbed at some portions of the first two games.  But overall, quite excited about the season ahead.

11/13/2019 6:54 pm  #41

Hearing from Lebron and El Duque in the same day. Don't get no better than that. 

11/13/2019 7:17 pm  #42

I would like to see James Ellis at some point.  I want to see whether Duquesne has something there.  I saw him in high school and thought that he has a ton of potential.  

11/14/2019 9:48 am  #43

We all mentioned it at some point but it’s easy to forget once the games start, playing without a home court is going to be a challenge. LaRoche doesn’t even classify as a AAAA high school gym. I’ll be anxious to see how we shoot the ball this Friday. If we make just 3 more of the 27 threes we threw up it’s now a 19 point win.

11/14/2019 9:56 am  #44

Couple of things I'm thinking. Any word on why Buckley didn't play? And, the LaRoche gym is what it is. They could have told us to pound sand and go elsewhere. No need to insult them about their facility.

11/14/2019 10:37 am  #45

LaRoche is nice, sure its tiny, scoreboard is limited, but we didnt exactly fill it to capacity.   We're 1/4 done with games there, Lipscomb, VMI and Columbia remain. 

Ellis looks excited to be there at least, in warm ups he is dunking or shooting 3s, he is up off the bench cheering on Austin and the team when they do good.   He didnt have any wrap or hand issues.   Hopefully whatever is b/w him and KD gets resolved, I would like to see him as well.  

Buckley was at the scorers table ready to check in at a whistle, but not sure why he was called back to the bench.   I'm not sure KD wanted to expose him to those quicker guards Lamar had.   They gave Sin and TDM issues.   

Need this W Friday, cause the opponents pick up in Bahamas.   

A10 had a pretty good night last night, VCU over LSU.   

Last edited by townsonkid (11/14/2019 1:54 pm)

11/14/2019 3:31 pm  #46

townsonkid wrote:

LaRoche is nice, sure its tiny, scoreboard is limited, but we didnt exactly fill it to capacity.   We're 1/4 done with games there, Lipscomb, VMI and Columbia remain. 

On the plus side, it looked like a full house on TV. Solid, if sloppy win. I agree with CLK, give credit to Lamar. They were quick, athletic and very active on defense. Not an easy team to play against. To still win by 10 on a night when the shots weren't falling and the bench scoring was almost non-existent really isn't all that bad of a result. Some nights the shots won't go in as easily, the ball will be harder to take care of and the turnovers will mount. But you can always play good defense and the Dukes defense was pretty darn good Tuesday night. Looks like the team's buying into Keith's philosophy. 

Board footera